JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Power of the Spirit

Jesus Ministers in the Power of the Spirit

The Power of the Spirit to Heal and Deliver

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a)

Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

Ans. Q 3:  Jesus does miracles, signs and wonders, by the Holy Spirit that is upon him instead of His Divine power as God. In a number of instances (especially in Luke's Gospel) we see that Jesus ministers in the power of the Spirit.

Scripture reference: "The Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove." (Luke 3:22).

"Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert." (Luke 4:1).

"Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit." (Luke 4:14a).

Jesus Christ declares that the Spirit of the Lord is upon him;

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." (Luke 4:18-19, quoting Isaiah 61:1-2).

"At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, 'I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.'" (Luke 10:21).

The point here is that Jesus clearly ministers through the power of the Spirit -- in the same way we are to minister.

The Power of the Spirit to Heal and Deliver

We've already seen two verses that connect Jesus with the power of the Spirit to heal:

"Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit." (Luke 4:14a)

"... How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power...." (Acts 10:38a)

"... And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick." (Luke 5:17b)

"If I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come to you." (Luke 11:20)

"If I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you." (Matthew 12:28)

In Jesus we see a Man who lives fully in the Holy Spirit. He is God, yet he has laid aside his heavenly glory and divine abilities according (Philippians 2:5) to operate in our midst as a Man.

Luke indicates that the Spirit even empowers Jesus to teach -- "giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen."
(Acts 1:1-2).

Indeed, Jesus' power to minister is dependent on the Holy Spirit that is upon him and in him. This is true for Jesus' disciples, too, as they declare what we have seen and touched.

b) Why is this important for us as his disciples?

Ans. Q 3b: In doing so he shows us how we can minister by the Holy Spirit that has been poured out on us.

c) In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

Ans. Q 3c: Jesus clearly ministers through the power of the Spirit -- in the same way we are to minister.

Because Jesus is in human form and flesh and blood just as man, he does miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit because that is what was promised.  If he was in his divine state as God , He would not need the spirit to perform miracles. Jesus is the example for his disciples to show them that though they are human the Holy Spirit is promised to them in order to do the will of the Father.  They too will receive the ability to perform miracles through the Holy Spirit.  Along with this promise of the Holy Spirit, Jesus is showing the disciples or teaching them that there are requirements that they need to fulfill also.  They have to pray and follow God's word and do what he instructs them to do. They have to live Holy and Righteous lives and put God before everything they do. Before now, God had a specific people he chose to commune with, that would have been the Jews only, but now all men are included in his plan for salvation and the Holy Spirit will instruct the disciples on how to lead them into it. Just as God showed his power and his glory to the children of Israel and to Egypt and Pharaoh as He delivered them from bondage with signs or wonders and miracles so that they would see and believe him to be the only true and living God, He will again show his power and glory through the Holy Spirit with healing powers and signs of miracles through Jesus and later his disciples so that people will believe in him as their true and living God.  They will be witnesses of Him and his might and his power and his glory to show the people and the people will be able to see and believe also.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

Jesus does miracles by the power of the Spirit. In his humanness, Jesus performs miracles in the same way that he teaches his disciples to do them -- by direction from and dependence upon the Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit.  

If we accept that Jesus' miracles resulted (at least in part) from him being a human being who is full of faith and in tune with his Father's will and timing, then Jesus becomes our exemplar as the Spirit-Filled Man, from whom we can learn how to operate in the Spirit!

In Jesus we see a Man who lives fully in the Holy Spirit. He is God, yet he has laid aside his heavenly glory and prerogatives (Philippians 2:5) to operate in our midst as a Man. In doing so he shows us how we can minister by the Holy Spirit that has been poured out on us.  Indeed, Jesus' power to minister is dependent on the Holy Spirit that is upon him and in him. This is true for Jesus' disciples, too.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

3a. Every miracle was accomplished by means of the Holy Spirits' power upon Him.

3b. Jesus demonstrated to us how we are to live...and can live, in unity with the Father's will IF we surrender our will  and rely upon Him to work on us, in us and through us.

3c. We learned in Romans and Corinthians that our flesh produces "no good thing" and that we are saved by grace...not works of flesh. The only results of our life and time here on earth which will have eternal value, are those things we allowed Him to do through us. Since we live and long for Him to be glorified both now and forever we delight in surrender to Him.

3d. Jesus is our only example for ministry! He always waited upon His Father for guidance....never rushed headlong did or said anything which would require an apology or a "do over". He was always perfectly honest, even if it offended the religious. He never "hinted" or manipulated, or coerced. He had no dysfunction to overcome, as we do, which is even greater reason for us to rely on Him....since so much of what we learn or have had done to us creates dysfunction in our actions and thinking and goes against His will and plans.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a)

Q. Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

A. Jesus did His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit upon/ in Him because He had relinquished His divine authority and came as a man here on earth

Q. Why is this important for us as his disciples?

A. We need the Holy Spirit to be able to minster here on earth as His disciples .

Q. In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

A. He relied on the power of the Holy Spirit to minister here on earth and so we also need to rely on the Holy Spirit and His power in   our ministration here on earth.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

My interpretation is that Jesus did it by the power of the Holy Spirit.

This is important for us because it tells us that, although we are not the Son of God, we can by the same Spirit do the same things Jesus did, or even greater things, as Jesus promised before going to the Father.

Jesus serves as our example of how the spiritual man can walk and serve in the Holy Spirit.

Jesus' miracles were performed through the power of the Holy Spirit:  "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He anointed me..." to carry out his ministry.  "The power of the Lord was present for Him to perform healing."  "God anointed (Jesus) with the Holy Spirit and with power" so that He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil.  All of his ministry was directed by the Holy Spirit -- by God, whose Spirit empowered Him (Jesus) to perform miracles.

Jesus was by very nature God, but He willingly set aside the privilege of performing miracles at the times of his choosing.  He chose to perform miracles at the direction of the Holy Spirit instead.  This was a great example of His humility and submission to His heavenly Father.

This is important to us, his disciples as a lesson, so that we don't become anxious to perform miracles in our own power or by virtue of our status as Christians. Jesus said that we will be able to perform the same acts as He, and more, because of the Holy Spirit that He would send upon those that believe in Him. This might tempt me to seek to perform miracles with wrong motives.  I must humbly submit to God and allow Him to direct my ministry, even if that means I don't draw the applause of those around me (ie: no publicity).  I'm not here to draw attention to myself, I'm here to bring fame to the Name of Christ.

Edited by LissaR
clarify my thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Q3(Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

Jesus did miracles by reason of being empowered by the Holy Spirit. And we see that being emphasized many times in the scriptures. It enabled Him to choose His disciples, to instruct them. In fact from birth to ministry to death to resurrection Jesus was empowered every step of the way by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said to His disciples that they would do greater miracles than Jesus had done. If Jesus had done miracles being divine then the promise that His disciples also would likewise do miracles would have been empty words. But we know the words that Jesus spoke were not empty but they are Spirit and life. So as His disciples, if we lean on to the Holy Spirit and submitted and yielded to His leadings then we also could be an instrument in His hands to accomplish His purposes.

Jesus is the role model that we follow. When we emulate Him, like Jesus, we would become the ones the Lord would use for His glory. When we realize that we are only channels used by Him to bless others, we would not be puffed up but rather be in wonder that He would use us, even us, His lowly servants for His own purposes. If Jesus had to depend on the Holy Spirit while on earth, how much more we need to depend on Him so that we may lead lives that will bring glory and honor to His name. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He did it by the means of the power of the Holy Spirit. "Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit." (Luke 4:14a) "And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick." (Luke 5:17b) These are instances where Jesus ministered through the Spirit.

This is important because knowing that Jesus did not accomplish this as a divinity but rather through the working of the Holy Spirit helps us know that we too can do this. When the Holy Spirit comes into our lives, we can follow in Jesus' footsteps.

He serves as an example by living a normal human life but not getting into temptations but abstaining from them and living a pure and holy life.

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus ministry on earth, He performed miracles, signs and wonders. He was the anointed One, filled with Holy Spirit and did these in the power of the Spirit. He left His heavenly glory and became 100% man just like us, but was obedient to His Father ( even to the point of His death on the cross). He was led by the Spirit and was able to do miracles to display the power of God and announce the eternal kingdom of God. Jesus was so dependant on the Holy Spirit and obedient to His Father. The trinity at work.

If Jesus being Son of God was fully dependant on the Holy Spirit and Father, how much more we then. Jesus promised that when He ascends to heaven, Father will send Holy Spirit - comforter, counselor and will teach us all that Jesus taught and will bring to remembrance. We as His disciples today have this assurance for each one that the same Holy Spirit is still on the earth to do as Jesus promised to build His bride and make her ready for His return.

Jesus is our captain of the hosts who leads us in triumph. For this purpose Christ was revealed to destroy all the works of the evil one. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. As we follow him, Holy Spirit will lead us in the way to go teaching us the truth to lead a life that is pleasing to Him and will bless others to lead them to Christ. Jesus said He will never leave us nor forsake us and will be there till the end. This is a great promise again to follow Jesus who is our Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry.

Answer: Jesus did miracles by the power of the Spirit.  This is important because Jesus, like  us was a man.  I believe that he came down to earth as a man to teach us how to use the gift of the Spirit effectively and efficiently.  This teaches us that the Spirit endows us with power and we too can prophecy,  interpret, have unspeakable joy, cast out evil and all the other miracles that the Spirit brings.

• 5 weeks later...

Jesus did miracles by means of the Holy Spirit upon Him not as the unique Son of God.  This is important for us because Jesus told His apostles, As the Father has sent Me, so I send you.  Jesus told His disciples to wait until they were endued with power from on high so that they could be His witnesses unto the ends of the earth.  This happened on the Day of Pentecost.  It is supposed to still be happening.  Jesus was the light of the world, but He also said that we are the light of the world.  We are supposed to be letting the light of Christ in us shine.  The Holy Spirit is the oil for our light.  A couple of songs come to mind.  'Go Light Your World' by Kathi Troccolli and  'Give Me Oil in My Lamp.'  We have to be plugged into the power source of God for our light to shine.  Jesus was our example for this.    

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Luke 3:22; 4:1, 14a; 4:18-19; 5:17b; 10:21; Acts 10:38a) Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?  The miracles were likely the result of the Holy Spirit being descended on Jesus while he was on earth. I do think that there were moments when he called upon his own powers to minister to his disciples however. 

Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry? The work of the Holy Spirit was important bec it allowed man to be able to use the divine power of God to help people.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him?

By means of the power of the Holy Spirit.

Why is this important for us as his disciples?

So that we too can receive that same power from the Holy Spirit, to do the things that Jesus did. As human beings we are able to follow Jesus' examples.

In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

We should walk in the Spirit daily, and invite the power of the Holy Spirit, through prayer to work His power through us. To daily submit and empty ourselves of self so that the Holy Spirit can take full control, to minister to and guide us.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx 

• 7 months later...

Q3,Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God ir by means of power of Holy Spirit?

Because of the power of Holy Spirit within Him

Also being Son of God played part ,nas Jesus was babtised the voice came that He is indeed God's  son and people to listen to Him, whatever Jesus do or say carry power 

• 1 month later...

Did Jesus do miracles by reason of being the unique Son of God, or by means of the power of the Holy Spirit upon him? Why is this important for us as his disciples? In what ways does Jesus serve as our example in ministry?

I'm not sure that being the Son of God and having the power of the Holy Spirit are mutually exclusive -- it seems to be that AS the Son of God and WITH the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus did miracles.

This is important to me because of adoption. Just as Jesus is the son of God, I am the daughter of God. If Jesus has, then, the power of the Holy Spirit, I, too, have (potentially) the power of the Holy Spirit. Thus Jesus could do miracles ... and I could do miracles?

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Q3. Jesus did miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus lived fully in the Spirit. Jesus is our example to show us that we can also minister by the Holy Spirit, if we are aware , praying and asking the Holy Spirit to use us and work through us as we speak to people.