JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Send the Spirit

The Holy Spirit is sent from God, Through Jesus, and YES it matters!!!!!  Jesus is doing the will of God the father, not his.  He tells us that!!!  John 14:26- "but the counselor, the holy spirit whom the father will send in my name"......John 15:26--:......but when the counselor comes whom I shall send from the Father".......John 14:16-17......" I will ask the Father and he will give you another counselor"........   All things come from God, the Father!!!!  they are sent through Jesus, who is only doing the will of God, the father.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit? The Father or Jesus? Does it matter?

"If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13)

"38  'Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.' 39  By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified." (John 7:38-39)

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever -- the Spirit of truth." (John 14:16-17a)

"The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26)

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me." (John 15:26)

"And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'" (John 20:22)

In nearly each instance the Father is involved, but Jesus is involved too -- "I will ask the Father" (John 14:16), "in my name" (John 14:26), "I will send you from the Father" (John 15:26). Jesus will baptize his followers with the Holy Spirit -- that is, immerse them in the Spirit. But in doing so he works closely with the Father.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4 a. When Jesus said "I will ask the Father" he was speaking as a man with His deity laid aside demonstrating to us to pray and ask for the Holy Spirit. (ever our guide and example) 

4b. The 3 in 1 function perfectly as One God, always in sync and agreement. 

An example that He showed me that love: In John it says the Father chose us and called us before the foundation of the world was formed, and gave us to Jesus as His love gift. In the fullness of time the Holy Sprit wooed us, softened our hearts and introduced us to Jesus. When we said Yes! to Jesus, He redeemed us, washed us in His blood, forgave us, and wrapped us in an ermine robe of His Righteousness  and gave us back to His Father as His love gift. I love that we've been "re-gifted"..... They each have their role in perfect harmony and unity of purpose always loving and cherishing us.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q4. 

Q. Who sends the Holy Spirit?

A. The Lord Jesus Christ and the Father even though the passages seem to suggest that Jesus is the one Who sends the Holy Spirit

Q. The Father or Jesus?

A. Both the Father and Jesus

Q. Does it matter?

A. No

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Although most of the quoted verses from John say that the Father sends the Spirit, John 15:26 says that Jesus sends the Spirit. So maybe it doesn't matter whom, since both the Father and the Son are part of the Godhead.

Perhaps, Father is used more, out of reverence.

Who Sends the Holy Spirit?

The Spirit was given by the Father to Jesus, and then Jesus gave the Holy Spirit to those who were present.  

Acts 2:33: "Exalted to the right hand of God, he (Jesus) has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear."  This is what Peter announced to those that witnessed the Holy Spirit coming down at Pentecost.

John 20:22: "And with that he (Jesus) breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'"

The Holy Spirit goes out from the Father, and then Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to those who believe in Him.

John 15:26 "When the Counselor (the Holy Spirit) comes, whom I (Jesus) will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me."   

Does it matter?  It matters that both Father and Son are involved in us receiving the Holy Spirit, because all three are One and they operate in concert.  We are reconciled to the Father when we accept Jesus by faith, and the Holy Spirit enters our hearts at that same moment of salvation.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the Holy Spirit is sent by the Father on the request of the Son, based on His finished work that He accomplished on His earthly ministry. So I would say all the three persons were involved in this gifting to the church and it doesn’t matter to me as to the specifics of it. 

•  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Father sends the Holy Spirit. Jesus sends the Spirit through his Father. "I will ask the Father" (John 14:16), "in my name" (John 14:26), "I will send you from the Father" (John 15:26). These are the verses in which Jesus sends the Spirit through his Father.

It doesn't matter Who is sending the Spirit because all three work together, dependent on one another. The Father, the Son, and the Spirit are one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Jesus sends the Holy Spirit from the Father who promised. Holy Spirit or comforter or counselor sent by Jesus from Father empowers us, teaches us all things that Jesus taught and brings into remembrance His word. We see that Jesus and Father are involved here in us with the work of the Holy Spirit to transform us and make us more like Him. Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit through out His ministry on earth. What He promises, He sends.

It matters as far as promise is concerned, as Jesus has promised the same Spirit that empowered His ministry and is available for all those who believe in Him. As to the ministry, it is a mystery how Father, Son and the Holy Spirit do their work in each individuals life. I am glad that Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, all three are involved and all glory to God. Mystery can only be revealed when we see Him face to face.

• 4 weeks later...

John 14:16-17 says that Jesus will ask the Father to send the Holy Spirit and the Father will send Him.  In John 15:26, Jesus says that He will send the Holy Spirit from the Father and that the Spirit goes out from the Father.  Jesus said that He and the Father are one so I don't think it matters who actually sends the Holy Spirit.  They sent Him in unity.  However there is something that I believe does matter.  The lesson quoted John 20:22 and said that it was difficult to understand.  It said that some theologians call it a proleptic act, an act that prefigured Pentecost.  I never found that verse difficult to understand.  I assumed it meant what it said.  I believe that this portion of scripture about receiving the Holy Spirit is very important and has been ignored by many focusing instead on Pentecost.

"Again Jesus said, 'Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.' 22And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

We were saved because Jesus forgave us all of our sins on the cross.  But then He gave His church the greatest authority there is.  He gave His church the authority to forgive sins or not forgive them. When Stephen was stoned to death, he did what Jesus did and asked the Father to forgive his murderers.  When the church forgave, God brought His justice and apprehended Saul and turned him into Paul, the evangelist who wrote most of the New Testament.  We don't realize the power of forgiveness.  When we forgive, we set people free from their sin and their sickness as Jesus showed.  When we don't forgive, we keep them bound to their sin and sickness.  I believe that the world is filled with sin and the curse because we aren't taught to forgive.  Jesus said if we don't forgive we aren't forgiven.   One time God told me to start bible studies based on 'the least common denominator of forgiveness.'  All of us have sinned but all of us are forgiven by Jesus.   

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit? The Father or Jesus? Does it matter? My understanding is that the Holy Spirit is an agent of God the Father, and only He has the authority. It does matter in a sense that if Jesus can only work on the direction of God the Father, he shouldn't then have the authority to send the Holy Spirit without first having come from the Father. It's a tricky concept for sure but I do believe that the actions of the Holy Spirit is dependent on God the Father only.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Who sends the Holy Spirit? The Father or Jesus?

The Father sent the Spirit, because Jesus asked Him to. It is through our belief in Jesus Christ why we are able to receive.

Does it matter?

No they all work together, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, for a common purpose.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 6 months later...

1. Who sends the Holy Spirit? 

John 14v16 Jesus said 'And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper

Jesus cannot do anything  independent of the father , both working  hand in hand

Does it matter?

Yes it does. God the Father , son and Holy Spirit(Trinity)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit?

ANSWER: Scripture also reveals to us that God the Son sends the Holy Spirit.

(Who sends) The Father or Jesus?

ANSWER: The preexistent Word, Who later became Christ, was sent to earth by the Father in heaven. Jesus was sent from the Father and returned to Him, where He now sits in glory and majesty (Hebrews 8:1; Hebrews 12:2).

Does it matter (Who sent the Holy Spirit and the Father or Jesus)?

ANSWER: While the Bible says that the Holy Spirit does proceed from God the Father, it does not deny that it also proceeds from God the Son. It has been argued that the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son in an eternal relationship, they are eternally ordered that way. Though the Scripture does not explicitly say this, this is consistent with what the Bible reveals about the eternal relationships between the members.

Why It Matters: Inclusivism and Exclusivism

What may seem like an obscure theological issue has important ramifications. If the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father, without proceeding from the Son, then, it is argued, people can have a genuine relationship with God without coming through Jesus Christ. Those who believe that people can come to the knowledge of the true God, apart from Jesus Christ, are called Inclusivists. Those who deny that a person can know the true God apart from Christ are called exclusivists. This is no small issue.

Exclusivists contend that it is only through Jesus Christ that a person can be saved. Inclusivists believe Jesus is the only basis of salvation but it is not necessary to believe in Jesus to be saved. A person can actually be saved by Jesus Christ without ever hearing His name or knowing anything of the Christian gospel.