JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit Testifies

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To Testify means Confirm ,Reiterate or Enforce ,support and remind in a way of agreement of experience ,belief ,knowledge and personal experience .It is  a sharing of understanding 

The Spirit testifies about Jesus in Truth .The spirit also testifies by enabling the disciples and those who have the Spirit of God in them to be able to proclaim the Word spontaneously.

Yes .I can testify and give a testimony  as I am fully surrendered to the indwelling presence of Holy Spirit ,not by my own ,but for the salvation offered to a wretch like me ,  .by His Grace  alone .

Bible tells us  about Jesus'' saying to the disciples that the ""you  have been with me from the beginning ,""So the  had personal experiences walking with Christ ,his teachings & explanations ,wonders &miracles  and always providing patient answers to their questions.There were many other eye witness to the historical Jesus ,The laymen,the 70 disciples, few  Arabs ,Greeks ,Ethiopians ,Egyptians  ,the families of Lazarus and those who He healed ,the Samaritan woman etc .even centurions ,soldiers etc ,,in whom a seed was placed about the Messiah .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to testify means to "tell" , to be a witness to or for or of something.  The Holy Spirit testifies to Jesus being the son of God who was sent to redeem man from sin back to the Father.  .The disciples were the only ones who witness Jesus in the flesh and all the miracles and signs and wonders He did . As a Christian and one who believes what they have written I too can testify and also tell of the truth and the things He has done in my life as I live and walk in His word.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To testify is to confirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief, bear witness, be a witness.

The Spirit presents Christ's case for him before the believers and the world.

Jesus reminds the original apostles that they must testify also, to tell what they know from personal experience.  Yes I can testify about Jesus, about how he touched me and saved my life when I gave my life to him.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

sQ2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

2a. To testify is to declare the truth of what is seen or witnessed, heard or experienced.

2b. Holy Spirit teaches, and validates Jesus through the Scriptures, and through quickening the Word (Ramah: making it personal and alive to the individual's spirit).  He testifies as He speaks personally to our hearts and minds of His love and care for us. He testifies through bringing to our minds the Word we've stored or memorized, as needed for comfort, deliverance, teaching, training, admonishing, and empowers our words as we are testify about Jesus to others. 

I remember the first time this happened to me...3 members of a door to door cult knocked on my door and wanted to give me materials about their religion which included their belief that Jesus is not God but a god. I "testified" about how having a personal relationship with Jesus, the Son of God whose Spirit now lives in me, transformed my life, and lifted me out of a pit of despair and hopelessness into Joy and a life of purpose and given me eternal life. The "trainee" up on the porch kept falling backward into the other two a step below him as I spoke about Jesus and shared how they too could know Jesus personally. They looked frightened  and quickly left with their material. Later I read about Jesus speaking to those who came to arrest Him in the garden "fell backward to the ground".... I've experienced this myself several times as I've been prayed for in church as Holy Spirit does a deep work inside.

2c. He has graciously given me the gift of Evangelism, and I'm privileged to have many opportunities to share Him, with great joy!

2d. No. They were just the first. All believers are witnesses of His presence in our lives. I was a total wreck when He came into my life, from a childhood of violent beatings, and death threats from both parents and many other kinds of abuse,  a two year abusive failed marriage, frequent anxiety attacks, no self esteem, and had just received a diagnosis of cancer, but was waiting for the  biopsy results....(.My mother had told me "We will all die from cancer" when I was a little girl, so this was like waiting for a time bomb to finally explode in my body.

Now I was in a second marriage with 2 children under 5 years and I was almost insane with terror as the lab lost the biopsy! Every day for 3 weeks a young woman named Mary, whom I didn't know personally, came to my house and prayed with me. (I think now she was an angle!)....one day she didn't come and as I was kneeling by my bed around noon, facing the glass door and bright sunlight pouring into the room,  I was crying and nearly hysterical with teeth chattering fear. I told the Lord "I can't stand another day of this torture and terror".... I was suddenly surrounded by a brilliant light and opened my eyes to see what this was! The entire room was glistening with supernatural light. I turned toward it I saw Jesus standing in the bedroom doorway about 8 feet from me. I was STUNNED as He said "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD" then disappeared, leaving  me enveloped in a warm cocoon of liquid Love like warm oil or thick honey pouring over me inside and out.

I'd only been a believer for about a year and didn't know that His Words were scripture, but discovered later it is Psalm 46:10. I was such a dufus that in the moment  He was gone, I said WAIT! YOU DIDN'T SAY I DON'T HAVE CANCER!"  Later that day, the doctor called to say the lab had found the biopsy and there was no sign of cancer.

I wondered for a long time why He would appear to me, and have come to believe that it was so I would never forget His Love and Presence.....knowing that my healing and deliverance from a life of abuse and terror was just beginning and I would NEED to remember as we faced my past together over many years.....He's a gentle and patient Teacher and Comforter and always gives us just what we need. How I love and praise Him for rescuing me, loving me and for the privilege of sharing His love with others.

• 1 month later...

To testify is to tell someone about what you have done or have witnessed. The Spirit testifies about Jesus when he keeps reminding us what Jesus had done and we are to follow him. I can testify from a personal knowledge about Jesus and how he has saved me and will give me eternal life. The apostles were the first-hand witnesses about being with Jesus and have a personal knowledge about what he has done but I am also a first-hand witness as to what he has done in my life.

Q2. (John 15:26-27)

Q. What does it mean to "testify"?

A. To remind. Also to testify

Q. In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?

A. By telling of or reminding people what Jesus said/ did

Q. Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus?  Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

A. Yes. The believers after the disciples are also disciples of Jesus Christ and are expected to testify to the world what the Lord Jesus has done for them /us through our knowledge and experience of him

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To "testify" has a legal connotation. It is to declare that you know for certain that something is true - perhaps you have seen it, or have firsthand knowledge or encounter with it.

The Spirit reminds us of what Jesus taught, and renders it understandable to us. Perhaps the miracles that the Spirit performs in power also testify to the truth about Jesus.

Yes, we can testify about Jesus. Although we have not had the same physical encounters with Jesus that the first-century apostles had, our spiritual encounters with Jesus suffice as evidence to testify about.

• 2 weeks later...

To testify means to speak truthfully, explain, or tell of something you have seen or experienced.  In a courtroom this is done under oath, which shows the importance of accuracy and truthfulness in what is being shared. 

The Spirit testifies about Jesus every time a person's eyes are opened to recognize that Jesus is the Son of God, and every time the Word's meaning is revealed in a person's understanding.  The Spirit testifies about Jesus every time the Holy Spirit works a miracle in somebody's life.

Can I testify from personal knowledge about Jesus?  All of my personal knowledge of Jesus comes to me through what the Holy Spirit teaches me and reveals to me through the Word, and my personal experience of a changed life before and after I asked Jesus to save me from my sins.

There were multitudes of first-hand witnesses during Jesus' ministry as he performed miracles among the people.  He fed 5,000 men (plus women and children) just to name one.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To testify is to speak out what one has seen, heard or experienced to anyone who wants to know the intricacies of a situation. Testify has a legal connotation in that it means to attest or verify to something based on personal knowledge, or to stand as a witness and speak out what they understand to be the truth. 

Whatever Jesus spoke was the truth, because Jesus Himself is the embodiment of truth. For He says in John 14:6  I am the truth. What the Spirit does is to testify of what Jesus spoke before the world and before those who believe in Him.  He testifies to the believer that Jesus indeed is the Son of God and by believing in Him we become the sons of God. Moreover He testifies to Jesus’ teaching by giving us more understanding to what Jesus taught. In times when believers are persecuted, He gives the words to speak and thus becomes our legal advisor.  He testifies to the world by convicting them of sin, righteousness and judgement.  

Yes, we can testify only because of our personal knowledge about Jesus. We have tasted and seen that He is good and that He has translated us from the kingdom of darkness to His kingdom and He has given us the assurance of our salvation by depositing in us the guarantee of our redemption - the precious Holy Spirit.  

The original apostles had seen, heard, touched Jesus while He was on the earth, so they testified to it. Unlike them, we haven’t sensed Him with our physical senses, but we “know” Him in the same intimate way because the Holy Spirit makes Jesus so real to us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To "testify" is to bear witness, to confirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief.

The Spirit testifies about Jesus by constantly reminding the disciples of what Jesus taught them. "He represents Jesus and makes Jesus' teaching clear."

Yes, we can testify from personal knowledge about Jesus because the Holy Spirit dwelling in us reveals to us God's Word. The apostles were one of the first-hand witnesses but we too can testify about Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To Testify means to bear witness or confirm or attest something based on belief or personal testimony.

The Holy Spirit will testify of Jesus by teaching all that Jesus taught and reminding all the teachings to the believer in Christ. Just as Christ taught and reminded/ revealed all teachings of the Father, The Holy Spirit will teach and remind / reveal all teachings of Jesus to his disciples so that we can bear witness and testify of Jesus to others.

We can testify of Jesus from the personal belief and revelation from the Holy Spirit. Closer communion with the Holy Spirit will enable us to know more about Jesus, which in turn will reveal the Father’s heart to us. The more the communion, the more revelation of Jesus to us.

Apart from the apostles, there were many other first hand witnesses of Jesus Christ. As in the day of Pentecost, there were 120 gathered in the upper room, and more than 500 saw the ascension of Jesus. The work of the Holy Spirit continues to draw more and more witnesses of Jesus around the world from every tongue and tribe.

To testify means to bear witness to all of the things Jesus is doing or has done in ones life.  The Spirit testifies about Jesus by reminding us about his Word and his life.  He is our counselor, comforter, friend, rabbi and so on.  No, because I am filled with the Spirit, I do not have historical knowledge about Jesus but I can testify as to how he has changed my life.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"?  It means to be a wtiness of or to offer testimony, in this case of Jesus.

In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?    He bears witness, is a witness, and offers testimony of Jesus.  He brings to remembrance all Jesus taught and teaches it to us..  The Spirit presents Christ's case for him before the believers and the world.

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Yes.   Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses? No.  The Holy Spirit lives in each of us and wants to testify of Jesus.  This lesson is very interesting to me.  I studied to be a legal assistant but never became one.  However I believe I am one in prayer.  The other day, we were going through so many battles.  I thought of how people are asked in court, Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?  I thought about how the truth is that we have total victory in Jesus Christ and I would testify to that.  The song 'Testify to Love' came to mind.  We are to testify of love and be a witness of Jesus.  

• 7 months later...

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"?

The disciples were to testify of their experience about Jesus ((John 21:24; Luke 24:48) It also means for Christian to testify of their personal experiences. 

In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?

The Holy Spirit will teach the disciple all things

He will remind the disciples of what Jesus have taught them

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus?

Yes, I can. From teaching me through His Word, revealing to me through revelations and Healing my physical and spiritual body.

Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?
No. There were many followers and witnesses noted  in the synoptic gospel. From the multitude He fed, the healing of ten lepers, and those He raised from the dead.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"?

The disciples were to testify of their experience about Jesus ((John 21:24; Luke 24:48) It also means for Christian to testify of their personal experiences. 

The Holy Spirit will teach the disciple all things

He will remind the disciples of what Jesus have taught them

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus?

Yes, I can. From teaching me through His Word, revealing to me through revelations and Healing my physical and spiritual body.

Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?
No. There were many followers and witnesses noted  in the synoptic gospel. From the multitude He fed, the healing of ten lepers, and those He raised from the dead.

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?  In a literal sense, to testify means to speak publicly and truthfully about what was seen and heard. The mission of the Spirit was to confirm and bear witness to the teaching of Christ. I'm sure that there were many witnesses at the time and we have to take into account the experiences of Mary and Joseph. But I think the work of the apostles were documented the most simply because they were present when Jesus was teaching.    

On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What does it mean to "testify"?

To bear witness to someone or something.

The Spirit testifies that Jesus is real, that He is alive. The Spirit brings to rememberence all that Jesus taught and said. The Spirit testifies to the Truth.

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

Yes I have many testimonies about Jesus, from how He saved my life, a life like no longer wanted, suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts. How his teachings, and words have changed, comforted, strengthened me, and given me peace. How faith in Him, and the authority He has given me to heal, minister, and comfort others has brought glory to His name. How He has ministered to, and counselled me through some difficult times. How His love is ever present.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

To testify is to tell or confirm what one knows, believe or has experienced.

The Holy Spirit testify about Jesus by reminding disciples or believers everything Jesus taught and stands for. He will teach believers what to say when facing challenges. He will serve as a legal advisor as neeeded when believers face persecution.The Holy Spirit presents Christ's case for Him before believers and the world. Yes i can testify from personal knowledge about Jesus. Before i became born again, i never understood people who prayed in tongues, i found it very strange this made me very skeptical about the Christian faith. I had friends who did everything to get me saved by their human efforts but to no avail. It took the conviction of the Holy Spirit through my great aunty who knew the Holy Spirit to get me saved. I received baptism of the Holy Spirit shortly after i made Jesus the Lord and saviour of my life.Yes  I can testify about Jesus from personal knowledge so as to encourage people to come to knoe Him as well so they will be saved.We must also bear witness of what Jesus has done in our lives. 

• 6 months later...

Q2.What does it mean to testify? To give evidence of something at point of knowing .

In what way does the Spirit  testify about Jesus?

That He is indeed the son of God

Can you testify from personal knowledge  about Jesus? Yes

Or were the apostles the only first hand witnesses?

Apostles were the first hand witnesses about Jesus but not the last. As we are also witnesses about Jesus Christ ti others.

• 1 month later...

1) What does it mean to “testify”?

Testify is a verb, so it's something one has to DO. From the Cambridge dictionary: "To speak seriously about something, especially in a law court, or to give or provide proof."

2) In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?

I found it interesting that the HS does not bring new revelation -- often, charismatics, in particular, appeal to the HS for such revelation. He does, however, testify about Jesus. You list, in your examples above, 

a) the HS teaching about Jesus (presumably He taught the disciples and continues to teach us)

b) the HS witnessing about Jesus (which is a form of proof, even legal proof if necessary)

c) the HS reminding us about Jesus (to reiterate to us how serious was the Christ event in human history)

3) Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

I try to testify, to tell people about Jesus. I wonder if it is a false statement to say we "testify with our lives." This may be an excuse to not say anything! Jesus certainly testified of himself with words, and the Holy Spirit uses the words of the Bible, as well as His soft voice in our minds, to testify of himself. 

• 10 months later...