JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Pride and Spiritual Gifts

Q4. (4:10-11)

If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

1Pe 5:5b  Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

Wisdom hates what God hates (cf. Pro_6:16-19; Psa_5:5). The highest virtue is humility (submission to God), and, thus, wisdom hates pride and self-exaltation above all.  John MacArthur

According to 1 Peter 4.10, and elsewhere in the Bible, self-promotion is unacceptable to God.  In fact we learn that God hates pride! We should never indulge in self-promotion, nor should we allow others to promote us in an unhealthy way. All praise and glory must go to God alone. Of course we ought to thank God’s servants for their hard work, and be quick to acknowledge a job well done.

"If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." (4:11)

Here we are enjoined to have a servant’s heart in everything we do, whether that involves giving practical help, or speaking God’s Word. To be a servant of God is a high calling indeed. 

Q4 lesson 8.docx

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

---They are seeking glory for themselves and not God,maybe that they are spiritually immature.
---Have not matured in the faith.
--Have not learnt what true humility is.
---They do things so that others could praise them and so they fell good about themselves.
--=At this stage of my life i am battling with what gifts i have,but have taken it to the Lord to show me. 
--

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2004 at 2:44 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

It say their no mature self-worth because we are to see ourselves as  servants of others and steward of God's property. Glory be unto God for the gifts of knowledge, understanding and wisdom and I am using them for the glory of God through empowerment of Holy Spirit.

On 4/21/2004 at 3:07 PM, Berachah said:

When people promote themselves, it says one of two things: they are either very proud and high minded, or they have problems with their self worth and need the constant support of others. Both of these are scripturally wrong and need to be dealt with. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that this is a very prevelant sin in the church. Yes even among ministers and leadership. This problem tends to push others down or out of the way and breeds competition among God's people. I think it behooves every christian to examine themselves and see if they are doing this or not. If so, go to the Cross and nail it there and let the humble spirit of Christ pervade our lives.

Many may not agree with me, but when ask what my gift is I can only answer that it is what the Holy Spirit wants me to have at any given moment. I believe that all the gifts are in the Holy Ghost and if I am submissive to Him he will manifest that gift thru me when and where it is most needed. There are natural talents that each of us have and we should use them for the work of the Kingdom. But the gifts of God are supernatural and they will enable me to do many things for the Master if He so desires.

Very straightforward and to the pint. As I read and pondered on this question, I know that I am guilty. I have asked God to forgive me and to keep me humble in all things. I am experiencing this as of late at my job where I feel the need to perform at higher levels because my boss is comparing myself and another coworker. It is rather stressful and an environment that has become awkward. While my first thought is not to exalt myself, there are certain things I have to do because of my position. I have to take this to God in prayer completely because it is definitely not the easiest to speak about and I don't want to come across as negative or prideful ;(

(4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

Our gifts are to be used to serve others.  We must remember that these are gifts that God gave us.  When one promotes themselves, they are putting the attention on themselves and what they have done.  Shows that they are insecure, lack maturity, and humbleness. We should not promote ourselves, for it is nothing that we have done ourselves but it is all God. My spiritual gift is teaching the Adult Sunday School class and I am the President of Pastor's Help Ministry and Greeters.  Most of all, I am a humble servant of God.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2004 at 6:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. It demonstrates  insecurity, low self esteem,  immaturity and "crying out" for recognition which is an invitation to exalt self in pride. It also demonstrates not yet knowing who one is in Christ...His beloved child, cleansed, forgiven and whom He rejoices over with singing and dancing. His child who is totally and completely accepted in the beloved! His child who can NEVER to do anything to cause His PERFECT love to lessen or His love to increase.

2. He has blessed me with the gift of evangelism, mercy, encouragement, and I'm experiencing prophetic gifting which has been growing over the years. I am His vessel to use as He wills...My part is to yield to Him. When He chooses to flow through me, is the greatest experience I've ever  known!  Doing exactly what I was created for....In sync with my Heavenly Father and Creator for His glory!

God wants us to tell non-Christians about His power, grace and humility.  He wants us to bring others to believe in Him.  God does not want us to boast about how God is using us.  Christians should do God’s work with humility.  It seems to me that the boaster is just seeking internal gratification and praise.   This does not seem to me to be the actions of a matured Christian.

When people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them I think that is saying that they are pretty proud of themselves. They need to realize that it was God that gave them everything that they are today. I think that spiritual gift that God has given me is one of serving. I think it is great when I get to serve other.

On 3/28/2004 at 1:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Lord, I am blessed by what You have given me. Help me to be humble and think of You and others first. You first loved me and created me in Your image, as with us all. I am nothing except through You, my Creator and Saviour. Yet, I am still young in knowing You Lord and i ask that You show me Your wisdom to speak or to do for every moment of this and every day. I am unworthy, but You made me worthy. I know You are real Lord - that question I asked almost 30 years ago, You answered; from out of the wilderness and my desert You answered. I was nothing, yet You heard my cry. Lord, apparently my gifts are faith, prophecy and pastoring. I follow Your calling Lord and how I might use them as I see the Day approaching.

When people start "bragging" about how God is using  them and what they have accomplished, I believe they are pretty much glorifying themselves and not God. I once heard an evangelist say that if it wasn't for him, a certain brother in Christ would of still been lost. God had used him to minister to an old "drinking pal" of his and sadly every opportunity he got he would brag how he had saved him from destroying his life. Though he would say God had used him, just listening to the way he would say it just didn't sound right. I believe a pompous spirit might be the cause of this. "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” (Philippians 2:3). We live in a very competitive world today, and sadly some Christians are competing amongst each other to see who has the most talents, who sings better, who preaches better, who has the most members. We are told to imitate Christ. Wash one another’s feet (John 13:14).  Jesus commands us to be humble.  “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted".

I pray to God that in everything I do, He receive the honor and glory. If it is the gift of teaching, that I may speak what the Holy Spirit wants me to speak. If it is to intercede for others in prayer, that I may do it diligently and with a caring heart. If it is to be generous with what he has given me, so then I must do it with a cheerful heart. These I believe are the gifts God has given me, and I do admit I need to exercise them more dutifully.  

On 3/28/2004 at 2:44 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It say their no mature self-worth because we are to see ourselves as  servants of others and steward of God's property. Glory be unto God for the gifts of knowledge, understanding and wisdom and I am using them for the glory of God through empowerment of Holy Spirit.

Promoting myself would be bragging about myself and not considering what gifts I have been given by God.  It would be prideful. My self-worth shouldn’t depend on how many people notice my gifts. This would be a sign of spiritual immaturity. I believe I can show compassion when it is needed and can share what God has done in my life and how grateful I am for it. 

That they are pride-filled.  High sense of self worth.  Need more growth.  Realism????  Humility lacking.

I think one of my gifts is teaching and facilitating studies.  I have to give it to Jesus every time--ask Him to be in control--pray that it would give Him the glory!

Q4. (4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

1. It says they are immature and are not using the gifts to serve others. They are not letting God be praised through Jesus Christ. 

2. They are trying to get the glory instead of letting it be given to God.

3. They don’t believe how ugly they looked and that God  knows them.

4. They are not real because of pleasing man. God cannot use them to the fullest.

5. They are not humble.Their spirit is built up on fleshly desires and putting themselves before God and others.

6. He has given me the gift of ministering to others through his word.

If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? 
Their sense of self-worth? Their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? 
What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

By promoting themselves, they perhaps, do not realize that the gift/s they have did not originate by their own effort, but was given to them by our Lord. We have to give God all the glory and recognition, acknowledging that it is God who empowers us. All the glory belongs to God. We should never become proud no matter how highly gifted we are. We have to remember that the gift did not originate with our effort. In fact, everything, that means everything, we have come from Him. I like to think I have the gift of discernment, hospitality and to serve Him. I definitely have not got the gift of teaching. I am actively involved in my church serving Him in various capacities; all background activities. I do this to serve Him and am grateful for the opportunities given to me by our Lord. Amen.                             

It seems to me that it is contradictory if one is promoting oneself how can God be a using them? What it seems to be saying is that these people are egotistic and have a misunderstanding how how God uses people. It seems that Christians should have a humility somewhat similar to that  Christ  had.

one of the gifts which God has given me is the gift of prayer.

On 3/27/2004 at 9:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

People who always promote themselves and bragging how God is using them appears they are prideful even when God is given the praise. The Lord uses them for his glory, not for their self-promoting.

Their sense of self-worth, maturity, realism and humility, though they are saying they give all the glory to the Lord for their gifts are still being prideful, they are not matured in their gifts.  

I have no idea what spiritual gift the Lord has given me. I just try my best to do what needs to be done at home and at the church.

• 2 weeks later...

Q. If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

A. They are not only sharing the glory with God but are taking the glory for themselves

Q.Their sense of self-worth?

A. Wrong and false

Q. Their maturity?

A. Immature 

Q. Their realism?

A. I am not so sure I understand this

Q. Their humility?

A. absent - they are proud

Q. What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

A. People say I have the gift of teaching and wisdom. I use the gift of  teaching in teaching in Sunday School and apply wisdom in solving some challenges for others and for myself.

Thank You Lord for the Gifts es grace of God.

We must take time for speaking and serving with our Gifts, to praise the Lord everyday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2004 at 10:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

People who are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them are pointing people to themselves and not to the God who gives the gifts, They are self-serving, immature in their faith and spiritual journey, filled with pride and they see themselves are possessing power that truly comes from God. God has given to me the gift of teaching and I truly do so by His pow and with the grace He gives to glorify Him.

"So that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." (4:11b)

• 6 years later...

People who promote themselves, or seem to be doing so, may simply have a big vision that hasn’t yet been actualized. Some, of course, may be socially insecure and therefore puffing themselves up in front of others. Too, they may be spiritually immature, not yet having been dragged through the years of failure and suffering that produce true humility.

--

There are obviously natural gifts that are not spiritual gifts otherwise secular people would not be able to do anything! So, I do think there are two sets of gifts that may overlap, in places, but not necessarily. Spiritual gifts are beyond the natural gifts.

However, IF my spiritual gifts are the same as my natural gifts, I have a pretty good idea of what I’ve been gifted with. IF, however, my spiritual gifts are bestowed on me by God I have no idea what they may be.

All spiritual gifts are from Him exclusively. To heal, for example, isn’t something one can do in the flesh. To perform miracles … isn’t this an example of a spiritual gift? There are spiritual gifts with no natural analogue, which leads me to wonder if the natural gifts are necessarily spiritual gifts.

If spiritual gifts have no natural analogue, then I have no spiritual gifts. I cannot prophecy, heal or change water into wine. I am not an apostle. I’m not very good with kids and am often lacking love for other. I’m not particularly hospitable. I tend to be arrogant, not humble, even after years of suffering. I’m not musical or performance oriented. I endlessly list SPIRITUAL gifts I do not have 

BUT ... If a few of my natural gifts are also my spiritual gifts, I should do much more to develop them. I’m doing this now, but not well. The goal is to make myself into something He can use. Or, use more. I seek to broaden and deepen what I am able to do naturally, because He could use this experience and ability in the future.

But what if my own abilities aren’t very interesting to God? What if he just want to give me the gift of, say, healing? An unmerited gift!

On the other hand, I may be waiting – wrongly! – for such a gift to be given to me. The answer must be found in the bible.

For example, Moses and other great men/women in the bible didn’t seem to be supernaturally gifted until after they obeyed the command in the natural. They knew that the task God had given them was way beyond their natural ability and that they would fail. They stepped forward anyway. That's faith! God gave them the supernatural gifts they needed to succeed.

Before that, they didn’t have these gifts. It’s not like Moses knew he was a political leader before God made him one, or knew he had the power to do bizarre miracles before God gave him a staff and started him down that path. If Moses had thought about it, I wonder what he would have thought was his spiritual gift? Was he an orator/preacher? Was he an evangelist? Was he a healer? Administrator? Pastor? Elder?

After 40 years in the desert following sheep, Moses probably thought he didn’t have any spiritual gifts.

Did God decide to use the gifts Moses already had? I ask this because Moses was well prepped for delivering the slaves out of Egypt – he knew the language and customs of the people as well as the rulers and was very familiar with the social terrain to which he was sent. He had "good creds." Yet, he wasn’t a facile speaker. He even seemed timid, humble and humbled by years in the desert. When he had seen the burning bush and heard God’s command, Moses knew he was a failure (in the natural) -- he was at life’s nadir. Yet God plucked him out of the desert and made him a political leader.

So, perhaps our natural giftedness isn’t what God uses after all. It seems God looks for characteristics and character, not for natural giftedness. He looks for willingness, not experience or ability.

• How was Esther gifted? She wasn’t prepared in any way for the task God called her to do.
  • David was a mere kid following sheep when he was told by God he would be the next king.
  • Paul was busily murdering Christians before being called to be an apostle.

I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around this. Sorry.