JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

2. Multiple Fillings

Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" not in the sense that they are re-filled, but in the sense that they are empowered by the Spirit to perform or serve in a supernatural capacity. In this case they were empowered to speak with supernatural authority and clarity.

As believers, we have the Holy  Spirit residing within us and at certain times the Spirit empowers us to operate with supernatural ability.  This happens multiple times when serving in ministry, unless the believer quenches the Spirit.  In these instances, the Spirit can be quenched through unbelief, doubt, or by carrying unconfessed sin in one's life.  

I believe when it says "being filled" it is like an "extra special dose". I believe  initially the Holy Spirit comes when we accept Christ and he dwells in us but when he sees fit to help us be more bold for Christ he pours extra power in us so we can speak boldly for  grist or do things we can't do on our own strength.  He makes himself available and fills us as he sees fit.

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages? Are they "re-filled"? Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

In these passages “filled with the Holy Spirit” mean being empowered by the Holy Spirit for a special mission. I believe they were “re-filled”, not in the sense of what happened at the Pentecost, but a fresh refilling. As we live in the world, having heavenly citizenship, being ambassadors of heaven on earth, the world can rub on us and we could be carried away by the rut of the world. We need His constant filling to be what God wants us to be. Jesus, when He lived on the earth was full of the Holy Spirit, whereas we can allow the dirt of the world to fill our lives. Just as in the natural, we inhale to get oxygen and exhale the carbon dioxide, in our spiritual walk, we need to confess our sins, get rid of the muck and dirt in our lives, and be filled with the Holy Spirit, to walk in boldness, and to accomplish His purpose for our lives daily, moment by moment. In that sense a believer can have many fillings of the Holy Spirit. In fact, we need that, for without Him, our walk will be of the flesh and not of the Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled”? Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in that they are empowered by the Spirit to testify and serve God. 

They are "re-filled" but not in the way one fills an empty glass but rather in the way that they get fresh "fillings" from the Spirit. 

Yes a believer can have many "fillings" because living in a corrupted world can turn one's heart away from God and continuous fillings form the Holy Spirit will enable a believer to stay strong in the Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

Peter and the believers after the filling of the Holy Spirit experience on the day of Pentecost, are being filled again with His Spirit. As they face continuous persecution, God empowers them with His Spirit to have more boldness and authority to preach the gospel and be His witnesses. This is re-filling of the Holy Spirit, and as a believer we can be filled continually with His Spirit. Just as Jesus was full of the Spirit, we have to be filled daily of His Spirit to do His ministry on this earth. It is about Him, His yoke is easy and His burden is light, so when we take up His yoke, He will make our burden light with His Spirit. He is partnering with us to advance His kingdom.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (Acts 4:8, 31) What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages?

It means they are totally influence by the spirit’s power enabled him to bear witness of Christ.

Are they "re-filled"? Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit?

No. But, it’s possible for believer to have many “fillings” depending on the Holy Spirit power needs for witnessing through the individual.

Why or why not?
To remove fear and barrier to accomplish the outcome; that they may know the Power of the Holy Spirit and the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The phrase "filled" with the Holy Spirit is used in Acts 4:8 to describe the Spirit coming upon Peter with special power to testify before the high priest. Even though Peter was baptised with the Holy Spirit at pentecost, he received a special "dose" or empowerment from the Holy Spirit that gave him boldness to speak. In the same way all the believers when filled with the spirit are empowered to speak about the gospel of Jesus with boldness. In the book of Acts,we see examples as in the cases of Stephen, Paul and a group of the believers who when confronted with difficult situation get filled and are able to speak about Jesus with boldness.

No they were not re-filled, it is a special kind of filling that quickened them.

Yes it is possible for a  Holy Spirit baptised believer to have many fillings of the Holy Spirit as long as we surrender to God totally and walk in obedience with Him. I personally believe that the filling is needed to empower the believer to speak or act with boldness during ministration of the gospel, healing, deliverance, soul winning, for  spiritual maturity, increases and strenghtens our faith to enable us reach our maximum potential as spirit filled Jesus followers.

What does it mean that Peter and the believers are "filled with the Holy Spirit" in these passages?

They were giving power to speak with boldness, without the fear of being persecuted.

Are they "re-filled"?

Yes

Is it possible for a believer to have many "fillings" of the Holy Spirit?

Yes

Why or why not?

Sometimes we find ourselves in difficult positions, where we need that extra strength and power to get us through.

I recall a day I was grilled about the Bible. The person didn't believe it was the word of God. They asked me numerous questions, some in a hostile manner, and the Holy Spirit gave me at that moment the strength and the power to answer, most of the time with love and compassion, and at other times it felt like it was with passion and fire, not once was I able to say, I don't know, Holy Spirit was there, with all the answers needed. It was this strength and power, a great sence of passion, excitement, love, and joy, that I always get when invited to minister, that after 5 hours of questions, and answers, parables and skits, the person started to understand more about the Bible, and its importance.

Love and Blessings to you all. Xx

• 6 months later...

Q2. Whst dies it mean that Peter and believers are filled with Holy Spirit in these passages. 

They have been Empowered such that are able to speak God"s word without any fear 

Are tbey filled? Yes

Is it possible for belevers to have more filling?  

Believers are filled once with Holy Spirit either at convention or when being prayed for. 

But empowerement of Holy Spirit happens every now and then as need arise

• 2 months later...

What does it mean that Peter and the believers are “filled with the Holy Spirit” in these passages? Are they “re-filled”? Is it possible for a believer to have many “fillings” of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not?

The idea, as I see it -- and i'm not certain about this -- is that once filled, the quantity of HS in you dribbles out as you use it, much like a canister of water is to be consumed, then refilled.

This may parallel, though not perfectly, "prevailing prayer," the idea that we keep on praying for something even though God heard our prayer the first time, or already knew what we were going to pray before we prayed it.  Although God can fill the world with the Holy Spirit, He chooses individuals and times to fill.  We have to be open to his initial filling (our personal Pentecosts) and then, as He chooses to give, receive further fillings as needed.  

I think, too, of Jesus at prayer. He kept going to the secret, hidden places to be alone with God. He didn't go once, but needed that fellowship ... the presence of the Holy Spirit in his life, on a regular basis. 

To pretend that this refilling is merely a "quickening," "boost" or "dosing up," is rather silly. We're all saying the same thing. Yes, there is a HS that is given to us at salvation that we retain at all times, but on top of this, when needed, we are re-filled as in the sense of topped off or given extra power to perform the assignments God has for us to do.

I find this comforting becasue, frankly, I don't have the quantity or strength of the HS that I need, now, to do what I think God is calling me to do. I await, patiently, for his Spiritual "booster".

--

What I wonder is if the filling can be the result of our request.  Can I ask God for more of His spirit, or must I wait until He wants to give it to me?

• 9 months later...

It seems to me that it may be an issue of defining what is it to be filled and refilled.

Filled is to have all of the Holy Spirit. I get that. To be refiled with Him seems to suggest that

He has been depleted, diminished, emptied and needs time to be replenished.

I don't think that is true of the Holy Spirit. He does not lose any amount of power

to work within us and through us. He may want to overflow us with Himself but not

leave us with less of Him which is impossible. :) This is the best I could do in putting it into words.

It is one way to look at the issue.

• 9 months later...

Q2. The disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit in circumstances that were difficult or challenging. This filling is separate from them being baptised in the Spirit at Pentecost. They will always have the Holy Spirit in dwelling in them, this is like the Old Testament when certain people were given tasks to do by God and He filled them with the Holy Spirit to give them the power to carry out their mission.

I think it is possible for people to have many fillings of the Holy Spirit. This happens if we are totally immersed in God. If we have confessed our sins, love God with all of our heart, all our spirit and all our strength. And we love our neighbour as ourselves. We must also obey God. Then we will be given from time to time a filling of the Holy Spirit to give us power that we need for daily living. 

Q2. The disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit in circumstances that were difficult or challenging. This filling is separate from them being baptised in the Spirit at Pentecost. They will always have the Holy Spirit in dwelling in them, this is like the Old Testament when certain people were given tasks to do by God and He filled them with the Holy Spirit to give them the power to carry out their mission.

I think it is possible for people to have many fillings of the Holy Spirit. This happens if we are totally immersed in God. If we have confessed our sins, love God with all of our heart, all our spirit and all our strength. And we love our neighbour as ourselves. We must also obey God. Then we will be given from time to time a filling of the Holy Spirit to give us power that we need for daily living.