JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Danger of Avoiding Persecution

Q1. (4:12) What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ? Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing? Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

By trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ our faith will not be strengthened, our hearts will remain hard instead of developing our love for him. Christ will help strengthen our faith and perseverance if we allow him to.

I have never suffered persecution from being a follower of Christ, but I have suffered the fiery darts that Satan brings by having family and friends trying to convince me that following Christ was a waste of time.

I have observed these trails of other followers of Christ who are demeaned for being a Christian, ridiculed and chased off. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (4:12) What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ? Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing? Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

If we run from persecution and suffering then God’s intended purification and perfecting will not be completed in us.

It is a serious decision to embrace persecution/suffering. Without the strengthening power of the Holy Spirit we would be unlikely to endure it. We definitely would not be working out God’s purposes through the trial should we try to do this in our own strength and for our own “glory”.

I like RFW’s comment:

“You've probably experienced some fiery ordeals after becoming a Christian. But if we're going to live godly lives we cannot avoid the fiery ordeals. We must not try to sidestep them. With Christ's help we must move through them.”

• 4 months later...

---Yes i have been many times when i loose focus on Christ.
---Yes,

• 1 month later...

(4:12) What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ? Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing? Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

Peter tells us that everyone that wants to live a Godly life in Christ will be persecuted.   In this process, our faith is strengthened and our true heart exposed to God.  To try to avoid persecution and suffering is to deny Christ.

On 4/9/2004 at 6:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for christ is dead spiritually and end in eternal hell. No, yes, I knew many Christians who forsaken the faith in Jesus Christ because of impatient for God to answer their prayers as they are passing through some challenges.

The danger of disobedience, not trusting God to take care of you and provide for you, the danger of missed opportunities to share.

I think we all miss opportunities to see God at work!!

Sure, others have had the same problems. 

Like I said in an earlier study--I see & hear reports of persons unafraid of persecution--even death--letting God lead them and miracles happen.  Check out VOM.com..  (Voice of The Martyrs) 

Life begins with challenges and ends with challenges. That will be true regardless of if we live for the desires of the flesh; the desires of the eyes and pride of life (which is not from the Father but is from the world) or if we live for the Lord. Words often relegated to funerals - from 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (note v. 13 especially): 13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. 15 For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord,4 that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore encourage one another with these words. Sadly, at a funeral, it's too late for the deceased and lost on the grieving. Encourage one another with these words is why we attend the Church of Jesus Christ - encourage one another to meet together - share our lives with Christian brothers and sisters and participate in evangelism. That way we and others will not live without hope AND not die without hope! Q.E.D.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2004 at 11:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Since trials are the Lord's "tools for shaping and molding" us into His image, we thwart His work when we try to avoid persecution. In order to avoid it we must deny Jesus Who lives in us and has commissioned us to "Go and make disciples". His intent was for us to live out His character and to be His hands and feet and love to others, rather than to try to be accepted by "melding" into the common way the unsaved live.

2. I can't say that I have been distracted by it. I've felt the pain and discomfort, released it, forgiven and moved on! The times I've been persecuted are when I've been doing what He's asked me to do and just continued on my way. The most confusing persecution has been from Christians!. I've been called "radical" (not in a good way) and "out there" for believing the Bible, and for believing His promises when they look impossible to be fulfilled. (I've learned in His Word that they ARE impossible but for His miraculous intervention!)

On 4/9/2004 at 6:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for christ is dead spiritually and end in eternal hell. No I have not and cannot be detracted by any persecution by His grace and mercy. Yes, I knew many Christians who forsaken the faith in Jesus Christ because of impatient for God to answer their prayers as they are passing through some challenges.

Avoiding persecution or judgment by others can cause me to “back away” from sharing the truth about Jesus, thus missing out on opportunities to bring others to Christ. The enthusiasm I felt when first becoming a Christian showed me so many times to tell other about belief in Jesus. Unfortunately others didn’t feel the same way and said they “didn’t want to be preached to.”  I have become very aware to not be “preachy” when I would like to say more. I rely on the Holy Spirit to guide me on when and how to talk about my faith.

On 4/9/2004 at 4:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Lord, thank You that as Christians who love You and are loved by You, that You have good purposes for us in persecution or suffering. It is often my training ground and the inspiration of growth in who I am in You. Help us to guard our hearts Lord and to have wisdom to know what battles to engage.  

If we try to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ we will probably go along with anything. We will let satin take over our lives. I have been distracted by persecution from what I should have been doing because I was concerned about what others would think if I didn’t do what they wanted. I have seen this in others.

On 4/12/2004 at 8:06 PM, AngelOnLine said:

Q1. (4:12) What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ?

If we try to avoid persecution is means that we have stopped being witnesses for Him and have started listening to Satan. Satan is always trying to tell us to take the easy road.

Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing?

When my focus is no longer on Jesus, then I am definitely distracted. It has happened several times, but thankfully I was able to get my focus back where it belongs.

Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

Yes I have seen this in other Christians . The temptations of the world are to great for them to avoid, and they give in to their sinful nature. :rolleyes:

Yes, avoiding persecution or "taking the easy way out" is indeed easy and is exactly what our flesh wants. If we give in, we aren't letting Him be strong when we are weak. We cannot be a witness to others. I have been distracted but God is in His kindness lifted my eyes and helped me see where I should be. Repentance is constantly happening as I am along this journey and staying mindful of where I want to spend eternity.

I have seen this unfortunately and it has touched all peoples, pastors, great people doing great things for God. It is sad and I will pray for them.

Posted April 9, 2004 · Report post

By avoiding persecution and sufferings for Christ, we can be in danger of compromising our faith and allowing ourselves to fall into doing something that goes against Jesus' teachings. We forget that God's standards are set and we cannot serve both God and the world. We are in danger of denying Christ. For if we deny Christ , he will deny us before the Father. Avoiding persecution means we have not surrendered all to God.

I have shared Christ at work with my coworkers, and sometimes I do feel bad vibes around some of them. Like if they can't stand my presence. Though they are cordial. Other times I admit I have held back from sharing Christ, thinking people might shoo me away, or just simply " don't want to hear about religion". I know this is wrong. I simply have to plant the seed and God takes care of the rest. I ask God for boldness to speak up.

I have observed other Christians pass up the opportunity to share Jesus simply because of fear of losing friends. We need to take heed of God's word that reminds us to fear Him who can send our soul to hell, rather than fearing man, who can only destroy the body but not the soul.

1. We will not mature or grow in the Christian faith. Trials help our faith be strengthened and our true heart exposed to God and more importantly, to us.

2.  Yes, when I was in a bad marriage. I refused to clean up my house, but a pastor told me that I had to do my job whether things were good or bad.

3.  Yes, they felt like things should have been better for them. That was not what they expected at all. They said, “I did everything I knew to do, so I don’t care or they proceed to do something wrong.

Q1. (4:12) 
What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ? 
Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing? 
Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

The danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ is that we try to blend in with society and thereby do not stand up for Jesus. The unbelieving world hates His followers. And as true Christians, and not hypocrites, we have to defend Jesus against attack or criticism, even if it means being ridiculed. Sometimes we need to be tested – to see whether our faith is genuine. Fortunately, my answer to the second question is no. But, unfortunately I have observed this in other Christians – the best is for me is to pray for them.  

Trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ’s sake would indicate not being fully committed to Christ.   Suffering for Christ should be welcomed and embraced.   We live in a sinful world where Satan and his minions are always at work to persecute Christians and prevent them from spreading the word of the Lord.   Suffering can be a  good opportunity to develop spiritually, helping Christians to see God more clearly and thus live exemplary lives spreading the glory of the Lord..  As Timothy 3:12 says ‘anyone who wishes to live a godly life, in Jesus Christ, will be persecuted’

Trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ’s sake would indicate not being fully committed to Christ.   Suffering for Christ should be welcomed and embraced.   We live in a sinful world where Satan and his minions are always at work to persecute Christians and prevent them from spreading the word of the Lord.   Suffering can be a  good opportunity to develop spiritually, helping Christians to see God more clearly and thus live exemplary lives spreading the glory of the Lord..  As Timothy 3:12 says ‘anyone who wishes to live a godly life, in Jesus Christ, will be persecuted’

if we try to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ then we will very often be denying our faith and trust in the Lord. For often the two of these must go hand-in-hand. Here in North America persecution and suffering for Christ takes a very different Format then it did in the days of Peter. And nowadays Christians are more likely to be shunned and possibly laughed at as others go about serving Christ. This type of persecution puts a pressure upon the church and upon Church Life. Sporting events are scheduled at church and Sunday school times and parents as Christians must make a decision as to which they will give their time and their children too. It should be noted, however, that the single most important thing that a parent can do for a child is to give the child the opportunity to develop a spiritual life. Therefore we in the church have a responsibility to develop programs that will attract the students and enhance their spiritual life. Persecution in many parts of the world outside of North America has being strong in recent days. We hear of persecution off Egyptian Christians, Coptic Christians, and many others around the world. ISIL and other groups carry-on and intentional persecution and really a genocide of Christian population in territory which they control. Is the time for another Crusade, not with bombs and airplanes but with boots on the ground in the form of troops and also in the form of missionaries and support workers for the people in the persecuted areas. For we are all one as Paul has told us and when one part of the body suffers then all other parts will suffer as well. As the Coptic Christians and the other persecuted Christians are persecuted then we too are persecuted and should feel the suffering off our Christian friends around the world.

yes, all Christians have been persecuted in this day and in this age and in North America. Has said above the persecution is subtle, It Is by invert pressure placed upon the individual by Society to conform to a wicked way of life.

• 2 weeks later...

If we try to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ then we are not standing fast in our faith. God sometimes gives us suffering to purify ourselves. If we try to avoid the suffering then we are trying to avoid the purification by the Lord God.

Q1. (4:12)

Q. What's the danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ?

A. We may not grow to maturity as trials build our faith

Q. Have you ever been distracted by persecution from what you should have been doing?

A. Not really.

Q. Have you ever observed this in other Christians?

A. I can’t think of any.

Everyday we live in the danger Situation, we have many experiences in our life. Sometimes try to avoid or not lucky or sadness from persecution, but we forget our God Jesus christ  has suffered for us so we must have this Situation too and we know our Lord never leave us alone but HE makes us stronger than every persecution.

We learn to look up  Jesus in Cross with blood in His Body and Meditation and pray.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2004 at 2:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The danger of trying to avoid persecution and suffering for Christ is that we deny Him. We no longer identify with the Lamb who gave His life for us. Distracted by persecution from what I should have been doing came in the form of denial of presenting truth to families (mothers, fathers and children) on Christian living.  Other Christians have been denied the opportunity of teaching the good news to the lost.

On 4/9/2004 at 1:16 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

If we avoid suffering for Christ we will never mature in our faith.

I have been distracted in my faith not necessarily physically but by things in my duties to keep me from serving the Lord.

Physical suffering for Christ in other Christians has been serious for some of my brothers and sisters in the Lord, mostly by physical health to keep them from their duties for the Lord.

• 6 years later...

I have been helped, immensely, by a little devotional written by Lettie Cowman (Mrs. Charles) called "Streams in the Desert." This devotional focuses on the theme of suffering. As I have gone through a long period of suffering which seem never to end, her words have been explanatory. There are few places in today's culture to which a Christian can turn in times of darkness, particularly if those times seem interminable. We don't talk about suffering just like we don't talk about hell and judgment. It's forbidden ... almost.

Because the idea of suffering is so foreign in Western culture -- for now, but this will change -- the first reaction to intense suffering is to question God's love or power, and then, quickly, to try to get out of it.

For me, the question of agency became HUGE.

• Did God cause the suffering?
  • Did I cause the suffering?
  • What, then caused the suffering?
  • Who is responsible?
  • Who do I blame? Myself?

God controls everything. He controls the venues of suffering and persecution. Thus, because we suffer and are persecuted, it is done with God's explicit permission if not desire. It is difficult to wrap my head around the idea that God wants me to suffer. I'm still bothered by it. 

How can a God of love do this?

These sort of questions have pulled me away from the benefits of suffering. Suffering DOES have benefits, though they're oblique. I don't benefit from suffering itself, but get benefits as I go through the suffering. Those benefits have to do with the toughening of my character -- suffering is the crucible in which the bad stuff is burned off.