JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Partaking of Christ's Sufferings

I don't like suffering. I don't consider my self a good sufferer maybe because I feel the pain and it doesn't feel good. I also feel the lonliness but knowing that it is for Jesus gives me hope and a lighter spring in my step and it can put a smile on my face when others are not smiling. Suffering also helps me comfort othrs in distress because I have gone through trials also. Jesus is our high priest and can feel with us because He himself endured suffering.

God Bless!

Jen

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know Christians know something. It is something our faith enables us to know, a kind of inside information that worldlings lack. We know that suffering accomplishes something. It is productive. From Romans 5:3-5, "Not only so, but we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character; hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us." I can't help but feel deeply hurt because of the pain Jesus went through. But I know what His suffering produced. I never would choose the trials that I've been through but I'm glad I experienced them. They have been of great value to me. And some of them have been of great value to people around me. I've come to expect the persecutions I experience. But these ostracisms, critical remarks, smears on reputation, hinderances to ministry and personal attacks make me examine myself closely. I'm not going to be crushed or perplexed by these things because I know God will use them. God will be at work in these persecutions. We are exposed to persecutions and struggles to demonstrate a different reaction than one that would come from a person of the world.

• 2 months later...
Q2. (4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

That being a friend and servant of God' is exactly like He said. And to count the trials as Joy for Christ is Character is being built up in me as I over come the fiery darts of those I reach out to In Jesus Name.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever persecution I may receive for sharing in Christ's suffering cannot compare to that which he suffered for us. We cannot even come close to understanding the suffering he endured for us. The movie Passion of the Christ gives us a better understanding so we can start to comprehend the suffering he endured. We need to be sure that we remeber the love that God has for us to send his son here to suffer and die to save us from sin.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

To me this means that Jesus and I are in this together. God will hold my hand the whole way through. (And this brings me GREAT comfort.) I realize that Jesus paid a higher price than I will ever have to pay in my lifetime, and whatever He died for me to have, i now have through inheritance... life, joy, peace, strenght, victory, a relationship with my Heavenly Father exc. And now i know I can do ALL things through Christ who strenghtens me. I also know that I am covered and protected by th eblood that Jesus shed for me (us.)

• 1 year later...

When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

First I think of the great suffering Jesus endured for me. I hope obviously that I do not have to suffer in such a way. But suffering of some kind is an essential to being a disciple. We have to deny ourselves. Self-control means forgoing physical pleasures and excesses. It maens the discipline to study, fast and pray regularly. Self-denial and self-discipline bring us closer to Jesus because whatever privations we may experience, we are experiencing them for Him. We know by this we are being obedient to Him, following His teachings. This also strengthens our commitment, and by doing so, makes us more prepared to endure persecution if we are confronted by it. Paul found joy in this suffering. It is a measure of his belief and commitment. This is what I should aim at.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I should count persecution as a joy and as a way of demonstrating my faith in Christ and my desire to serve Him because I love Him and should show that he is first in my life.

I should also remember that any suffering I have in no way compares to the suffering Christ experienced for me.

• 2 months later...
Q2. (4:13) When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

We are His people and our desire should be to do His work so that others might come to know the living God through Jesus Christ. These are exciting times we live in. God desires to use each one of us for a very special purpose and He simply wants us willing to follow where He leads as we seek Him continually.

But in these times, as well as the times in which Peter wrote, as we are willing to love and serve God, there will always be people who will try and discredit what God is doing in this world through the lives of His people.

Most Christians who live their faith in the real world, instead of trying to hide it in the closet, will eventually run into someone who wants to put them down or make fun of them or try and create doubts concerning their faith and the God who gives life throught Christ.

And that shouldn't surprise anyone because the spirit of the world is at odds with God. The very nature of man wants to rebel against his Creator. In fact Paul speaks of this attitude in ( 1st Co. 2:14 ), " The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they may not be Disney World but it is a place we can still enjoy as we glory in the life we have in Christ and as we take that joy into our world and live it to God's glory desiring to see others come into a personal relationship with the Living God.

That's what Peter says in ( 1st Peter 4: 13) " But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His Glory is revealed."

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=41&t=182

Suffering as a consequence of our own sin is very different to suffering for the sake of Christ. He said we would have tribulation as a Christian proclaiming His Gospel, but we are to endure and persevere. As stated above in the reading we are to rejoice when we suffer for His sake. Our reward will be there for us in Heaven.

• 1 month later...

My perspective would be that I will suffer being laugh at because of my faith. I will be challenged about my faith. Someone may even want to fight me because I follow Jesus Christ. I was lied on in the church and the person told the same lie twice and others believe them even the Pastor and that hurt me more then the lie.

Well I feel that I am being persecuted in a way now, because I know someone who is down on their luck because of bad choices and disobedience and wants to blame God for it and when she has been drinking, she uses God to manipulate her way around when she wants money or sympathy. Then when I try to tell her how to receive peace. She tells me she does not want to hear it and that I talk about God to much. So I be quiet and wait for another opportunity to share the Gospel with her. She went to church with the wrong idea about church. She went in looking for a mate to take care of her. I did not know what to say to her only that if it did not work out between her and that man, she should not blame God for it. I really feel bad for her and at the same time she upsets me. But then I look into her baby's eyes and I want to cry for the chid and I have. So I pray for the child's mother and myself. Especially for myself to stay focused on the Word of God and not on how I feel in my flesh. That is the suffering I am going through. I have to remember that the "Battle is not mine it is the Lord's" and I must endure with humbleness and patience.

• 3 weeks later...

When I go through these things then I know I'm on the right path. Because if I wasn't suffering then I would not be close to Jesus. He suffered and me must also if were a biblical Christian. Were spreading the news of Christ and living according to him and the devil doesn't like it. Thus we know were doing what is right.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus was one of the most hated and reviled men on Earth. At one point they took Him out to stone Him.

My first pastor used to say that if our lives truly reflected Jesus then whereever we went there would be revival or riot.

I cannot expect less than to be treated as Jesus was and if push came to shove, at least in my persecution, I would know that the devil would think me a threat and God would be there beside me in it.

• 8 months later...

It give me a feeling of immense closeness to the Lord when I meditate on the idea of sharing in His suffering,even if it be to a small degree. I feel a complete union with my savior, knowing that in doing His will and sometimes having to go through persecution, and can endure it with His help, those present will see His light shine through me and His name is glorified. We all want to share in Christ's inheritance so the least we can do is to share in His sufferings and glorify the name of the one and only living God.

The perspective it has on me is knowing I can be full of joy because Christ is right there with me. Because I am His child, I am being molded into what He wants me to be, like Him. Because it will increase my faith and joy in Christ. Knowing that I can go through anything and I am not alone.

• 10 months later...

Q2. (4:13)

When you meditate on the idea of partaking of or being a sharer in Christ's sufferings, what perspective does it give you on whatever persecution you may experience?

I feel we are not to question God, and look negatively upon sufferings. He is in control and everything He allows is done for a purpose. He may be perfecting me, or testing my faith; but I know that when I

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't really been the victim of serious persecution, mainly because we're a pretty tolerant country here in Australia. But I have been under some heavy duty personal attacks from the devil for many years, medical conditions and physical injuries that defy logical explanations . . . that's how I know they're supernatural in origin. When I draw closer to God the problems intensify. They even impact on my ability to earn my living, or they would but for the Grace of God.

Sometimes I feel about to be overwhelmed by the problems I face and I've laid it on the line to God and asked Him to make it back off or I'll just give up! I liken my situation to Paul's thorn in the flesh. The Good News Bible calls it a painful physical ailment. God always waits till the last minute before sending me relief too.

• 1 year later...

2a)My sufferings are nothing compared to the torture and horror that Christ went through to free me from my sin.Know he did this for me, that he cares so much for me, and is with me in my suffering, gives me the hope, peace and strength to move through any tough times I have faced, and there have been very tough, critical life threatening times, Lean not on our own understanding, but relying on the Lord alone.

• 6 months later...

Realizing, acknowledging, and meditating about my participating and sharing in Christ's suffering, in the thought that my suffering can reflect Jesus living in me and that God can use that reflection of Jesus to point and draw nonbelievers to faith in Jesus, is incredible.  It is awesome and marvelous that God can use my suffering not only to make me more like Christ (Romans 8:28-39) but also to do good in someone else's heart and mind.

NOTE:  re p 2 referring to "joy in suffering" as a paradox:  I used to think of my being chosen by God for salvation and my freely choosing to believe in Jesus as my Savior, both of which can be found in the Bible, as a paradox.  But now I think of it as a mystery of God's ways that my finite, limited mind is incapable of comprehending.  I look at joy in suffering for Christ the same way.

[This is not my own idea; I got it from Chosen But Free by Norman Geisler, 3rd ed., (Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House Publishers; 1990, 2001, 2010), pages 130-159.  If  it were a paradox, one "truth" would have to be false, and then, since the Bible states that both are truth, the Bible would contain falsehoods, AND THAT CANNOT BE.  Everything God says is true in the Bible is true.  So, there are no paradoxes in the Bible, and what I think seem to be paradoxes are actually mysteries that I cannot grasp with my puny, little mind, but  God knows how they work together.]

• 1 month later...

Suffering comes with the walk with Jesus and I believe true followers, because they follow, will suffer at the hands of this world in some way, shape, or form.  The fact that a believer suffers for Jesus indicates the world views the believer as a follower of Christ.  All believers should take joy in that. 

Remembering that we are not on this planet for long we must keep the long view and remember where we are headed. We must follow and serve the Lord.  We are heaven bound.  The world is restricting and hates God.  We have been made free.  Enough though we may suffer for a time, it is only for a time. 

Suffering comes with the walk with Jesus and I believe true followers, because they follow, will suffer at the hands of this world in some way, shape, or form.  The fact that a believer suffers for Jesus indicates the world views the believer as a follower of Christ.  All believers should take joy in that. 

Remembering that we are not on this planet for long we must keep the long view and remember where we are headed. We must follow and serve the Lord.  We are heaven bound.  The world is restricting and hates God.  We have been made free.  Enough though we may suffer for a time, it is only for a time.