JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Ananias

Q2. (Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly? 
Why does Ananias argue with God? 
Why does it take courage to obey? 
What does Ananias do and say? 
Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? 
Have you followed through?

Paul had already seen a vision of Ananias coming to him and laying hands on him restoring his sight. Ananias was also to baptise Paul in the name of Jesus. Ananias mistakenly thinks that God is unaware of the kind of person Paul is, and therefore warns our Lord of the reputation Paul has in persecuting Christians. As if our Lord does not already know! He had every reason to fear going to visit Paul, however, the Lord assured him that it was safe to visit. Ananias is a faithful Christian and carries out the instructions Jesus has given him.  
Yes. The Jehovah Witnesses had befriended a dear friend of mine from church. He was now all confused about Jesus and the Trinity. Even denying its existence. I followed through several times, asking the Holy Spirit to help me in this task. Up to now, I’m sorry to say I have not been successful and this is of great concern to me. My friend listens and agrees with all I explain, but several months later he asks the same questions as before. My wife and I have made it a deed of prayer. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly?

Ananias is part of God's plan to prepare Paul for the next steps along his new way.

Why does Ananias argue with God? Why does it take courage to obey?

Ananias wanted Jesus to know of Saul's reputation.  Sometimes we are in disagreement with what God is telling us to do.

After Ananias's initial response, he obeyed God. 

Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? Have you followed through?

Yes. Yes I did follow thru.

Q2. (Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly? Why does Ananias argue with God? Why does it take courage to obey? What does Ananias do and say? Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? Have you followed through?

I believe the reason is because Ananias is a Jew and also a Christian as well. Being that He is both he can minister Saul and guide him in the right direction as a brother in Christ. I believe he is arguing with the Lord is because he knows Saul's reputation as a person who persecuted the church. However he still obeyed and listened to the Lord and chose to help out Saul who became Paul. It takes courage to do it because you don't know what the Lord is asking you to do at all. Yes many times. Yes and it was difficult. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly? Why does Ananias argue with God? Why does it take courage to obey? What does Ananias do and say? Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? Have you followed through?

1. Because God uses people.  Ananias would have to step out in faith, believe God, be obedient and be a witness to this miracle.  3 days would give Paul a chance to think about what happened. 

2. He was fearful, believing the reports he had heard and not trusting the Lord.

3. Our natural man would fear, but if we have truly heard from the Lord we need to trust and obey Him.

4. He obeys, goes to him, calls him Brother Saul, lays hands on him and and his blindness is instantly healed and he is filled with the Holy Spirit and is Baptized by Ananias.

5 & 6. Yes, and when I obeyed I was blessed

Q2. (Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly?

1. Ananias was sensitive to God’s call, a nobody like myself. When God appeared to him, he listened. Ananias was a Jewish native of Damascus, a man of much prayer, therefore he knew the area and being a young convert he was eager to obey.

2.Why does Ananias argue with God? Fear. He had heard how he was persecuting the people in the way.

3.Why does it take courage to obey? A lack faith and maturity in Christ Jesus

4.What does Ananias do and say? The Lord Jesus likewise appeared to him in a vision and when he spoke to him, he listened and responded to what he had heard about Paul.  “And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on your name” Acts 9:14 bad reputation

5.Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her?  Yes.

6.Have you followed through? Yes. I prayed first for the right opportunity and followed through by the direction of the Holy Spirit

I think that God wanted Ananias to see for himself that Paul formerly Saul was nor the same. God wanted him to see that Paul was especially chosen by Him and to be obedient no matter what.

I also think God wanted to give Paul time to think about what had happened to him. He wanted him to fully understand why he was chosen and what it would mean. That now he, Paul would be the one who would be persecuted for the Lord. 

Ananias is scared and confused. He can not understand why God is asking Him to do this and he is trying to tell God something God already knows. He is trying to convince God that it is not a good idea. 

It takes courage because sometimes you do not know what is going to happen or how things will work out. People might think you are crazy. And often you think that it is impossible but with God nothing is impossible.

He tells Paul ;that the Lord; the one who appeared to him on the road has sent him so that he may receive his sight and be filled with the Spirit. He lays his hands on him and immediately scales from Paul's eyes and he could see.

No I do not think I have .

On 8/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In sending Ananias to Paul, Jesus showed Paul that He is who He says He is -- one who has power to direct people to do His will.  In this case, Jesus commanded Ananias, who then went to Paul to minister to him.  Ananias performed a miraculous healing on Paul, even further verifying that it was Jesus behind all of the events that had taken place along Paul's journey to Damascus.  

Ananias' "argument" may not have been out of resistance but out of amazement/incredulity.  "You're really up to something here!"   Ananias may have been unsure about the way Paul would respond, but he trusted that Jesus would protect him (Ananias) and he obeyed out of his love and commitment as a disciple.  

I have felt God prompt me to speak for Him and minister to many.  Sometimes it's scary because I don't know how well it will be received, but I know that the person's response is not up to me.  My concern for the person and my obedience to the Holy Spirit is what's important.  Just two weeks ago my daughter pulled me aside and asked me if all was well with me.  I have been sick for a number of years with a sleep disorder, plus our family has struggled with returning from the mission field.  She felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to talk with me and she encouraged me to meet with a counselor, then prayed with me after more than 30 minutes of pouring into me.  I was humbled.  Additionally, I was thrilled that my daughter was obedient to the voice of the Lord, even when she was nervous about confronting her own mother.

On Matthew 28:19 Jesus already handed over His services to his servants to go, minister, baptize and made all His disciples. So, this has to be fulfilled and Anania got a call for that to minister Saul. Secondly, even if Paul was just converted and went to Christians, he might not be accepted because of his background. So, it had to be witnessed by Servants.

2. Anania just argued from his limited knowledge of Paul's past experience. Judging someone with past experience is very common even today among Christians. But our past is not a guarantee for today! 

3. He obeyed Jesus because he trusted and believed in Jesus expecting He took responsibility if things would had been other way round!

4. He minister Paul and nurtured him, for sure!

Ananias said to God “Not him, Lord; that’s impossible, that’s what Ananias said when God told him of Saul’s conversion. After all, Saul had pursued believers to their death. Despite these understandable feelings, Ananias obeyed God and had to minister to Saul. We should not limit God—he can do anything. We must obey and follow God’s leading, even when he leads us to difficult people and places.

I have been guided by God and even ministered to other people in difficult situations.

God typically works on two groups or people at the same time. Ex.  While hearing the cries of the children of Israel in Egypt he was preparing Moses in the mountains.  Point being God sent Ananias so that he could see the power and grace of our Lord.  I also believe that Paul could use a right hand of fellowship into the Kingdom. 

Ananias is human and the 1st response was to think on Saul's reputation and cruel acts toward the saints.  

It takes courage to obey b/c God ways are not our ways we simply can't see around the corner like He can.

Ananias obeys God.  God is calling me now to minister to someone in particular.  It's not easy but must be done!

Q. Why do you think God send ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly? 

A. To bless ananias and Paul I believe. Ananias is a willing vessel, who's not afraid to go when God calls to go remember Paul was a bit not so good guy before conversion, but the Lord had a plan for Paul's life to bless him even though he did what he did. Christians were afraid of him. Perhaps also a testimony of what God can do and does do. Brings him honor and glory.

Q. Why does Ananias argue with God?

A. Willing to go but doubting along the way. Fear.

Q. Why does it take courage to obey?

A. The Lord ask us to step out in faith small steps and big steps of faith, when stepping in unknown can be scary, but if we are trusting God it'll be OK.

Q. What does ananias do and say? 

A. The Lord ask ananias to go to saul. Ananias lays hands on saul that he might receive his sight, but argues with the Lord about going because of what saul had done. Also prays for saul to receive the Holy Ghost.

Q. Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her?

A. Yes

Q. Have you followed through?

A. Not always.When I should have said something I didn't or afraid to go to person cause I have a word for them but because of fear.

From a personal experience I think the models of knowing God in Judaism and in Christianity are different. If you are to be a disciple of Christ you must be humble to learn instruction from others. It is not proper to equate Paul's knowledge in Judaism to what he's yet to learn in Christ. As he obeys then he can start from there.

And Ananias had fear of the former Saul but both worked in obedience to fulfill the plan of God. I look forward to have that spirit of obedience to warn brothers where they are failing in their walk with God 

Ananias thinks he knows better than God about other people and about what is possible so his first response is to tell God that the Almighty must be lacking in information regarding who Saul is and what he’s doing because if he knew who Saul was Ananias wouldn’t be asked to go to him and pray for him.

The story of Paul is that of a man who saw the light and was blinded in order that he might truly see. It just might be that whatever our issue, problem, past or the way we messed up our life or were hurt, may become the way God uses us. It feels more natural to many of us to rant, demean, insult, and dehumanize enemies rather than to pray for them much less in person!

Saul’s spiritual condition. He was listening and not comprehending, his eyes were shut and he couldn’t see. His blindness is symbolic of his spiritual condition, he knows a great deal about religion, but he doesn’t have a personal faith. He is driven, but if we’re lost, driving faster simply gets us further away from where we need to be at a faster rate. Saul didn’t know Jesus personally; he certainly didn’t expect to meet the risen Lord Jesus on the road and to be blinded.

1. To bless Ananias and Paul. Ananias is a willing vessel, who's not afraid to go when God calls to do the work of a disciple. The Lord had a plan for Paul's life to bless him even though he did what he did.

2. Ananias responds by informing Jesus about Saul's reputation and intent.

3. When stepping in faith it can be fearful, but if we are trusting God there should be no worry.

4. Ananias responds by informing Jesus about Saul's past reputation.

5. Yes, a friend of mine. Lisa

6. Yes

Q2. (Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than that revealing directly?

There are several reasons given. Ananias lived in Damascus. He is described as a devout man according to the law, and had a good report of the Jewish. Another reason is the new convert needed to experience help and ministry by one of God’s disciple. He needed to see faithfulness in action such as love, care, concern, interest, help to him in the name of Christ

2. Why does Ananias argue with God?

He didn’t, but he did give some here say to God as if he did not know.

3.Why does it take courage to obey?

4. What does Ananias do and say?

When God called, he listens. His response. “Here am I Lordand followed the direction given Him.

5.Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? Yes

6.Have you followed through? yes

(Acts 9:10-18) Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly? 
Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? 
Have you followed through?

My personal opinion is that God send Ananias to Paul so that he can be baptised. He needs someone to talk to him about Jesus and monitor him in growing,

Like any other person  Ananias has heard about Saul manners, how he has dealt with the disciples in Jerusalem.  He has been given permission by the leaders before he met Christ on his way.

Ananias is a matured christian and having been study the word he has learnt over the time to depend on God's instruction. He never that once an instruction is given by God He has already equipped the person. 

He followed the instructions as he was given.

Yes

Yes

As a young boy, I often wondered why my parents would make me do something (a chore or some such) they knew I hated to do, like making up my bed when I going to sleep in the same bed later that night. Then I finally grew up old enough to father my own kids and I told them the same thing. Why? I finally figured it out. We and our God must act like parents and often times, we must think of our kids' future. When our children display an early tendency to be lazy and "good for nuttin," then it's time for us parents to come to their rescue and assign more chores. God does this quite often to humble us or teach us whatever it is we need to learn most. In our story, I'm thinking God gave this job to Ananias so he would learn a new level of evangelizing his world. Then there's the great possibility he just needed to trust His God more as God was communicating directly to him, something NOT done in today's world. I'm also thinking Ananias argued with God in the same way Moses argued and that reminds me. I'm also thinking these stories from the Bible aren't in here for just the Jews' benefit but for the whole world since that timeframe so we could learn from their mistakes. 

On the issue on courage, I'm reminded of what that cowboy, John Wayne said to another younger cowboy, when asked about the same subject. We shouldn't be afraid to admit when we're scared of some item or feature about life (like obedience). The big question for us is: In spite of the fear that may even be gripping our soul to its core, the real mettle of a man is whether or not he gets back into the game and approaches that opportunity, that's the most important thing for which our Lord is Looking. Will we dig up the faith in Him from deep inside our soul and move forward to do what we know we should and MUST do to keep maturing on a spiritual level with our eye of faith focused on God, our Father.

Ananias must have been guided by the HS to say a wise but simple words,  “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”  Acts 9:17   As Pastor Wilso mentioned, Ananias calls him, "Brother Saul" as he is a fellow Jew but still it must have been courageous on his part to humble himself and win Saul over to the Lord's Way of life, to preach to the Gentiles. 

As far as my life as a christian, my life has been dominated by the military so I've a couple of run-ins with some tough individuals but I never measured up to the task until I had to face my own sinful life. Now with my forgiving wife at my side, I can face my difficulties with considerably more courage and humility and of course courage and confidence from God. God Bless you all.

Sorry i am a newbie. We shouldn't be reading Pastor Ralph said. So sorry about this. Next time will be better.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

9:10 

Notice Ananias answers as each of us should: "Here am I Lord".

9:11:

Sometimes the places the Lord sends us look hopeless in the flesh. In fact, sometimes we feel that it is dangerous to go where the Lord sends us. It is really none of our business though. The Lord can send us wherever He wishes. Our only part in all of it is to do exactly as we are instructed of God to do.

Whether we are successful or not, is not our concern. We just do what God tells us to do, and God does the rest. Success or failure is up to Him.

9:12:

This would be a frightening thing for Ananias to do, but he must do it anyway, because that is what God wants. When he lays his hand on Saul, God will restore Saul's sight. God has gone ahead and prepared Saul to receive Ananias. God tells Ananias exactly where to find him.

9:13

Ananias acts like the Lord does not already know all of this. His fear of this Saul, who has been capturing the Christians and throwing them in jail, is showing. Saul was most assuredly a dangerous man. What Ananias does not realize is that Saul has had an encounter with God.

Verses 15-17: Note that even Saul’s commission does not come directly from God but through a God-appointed disciple. By contrast, his apostolic authority did come directly from Christ, not by succession through one of the apostles (Gal. 1:1, 11-12).

9:15

You see, God, realizes that Saul wishes to please God. That really was why he was capturing the Christians (he did not realize he was working against God). God knows Saul's heart.

9:16

Saul has a great calling on his life. He is to bring his message to the Gentile world. He, as many others, tried to carry it to his Hebrew brothers first though. The greatest call a Christian can have is to suffer for Christ. Only the truly strong, such as Job, can suffer for Christ and still remain true.

Saul's calling is great. I think it is important to note here, that the first king of the Hebrews in the Old Testament was named Saul, and now we see Saul called to service here to actually lead the people that he had been persecuting.

9:17

Saul received the Spirit without any apostles present because he was a Jew (the inclusion of Jews in the church had already been established at Pentecost), and because he was an apostle in his own right because Christ personally chose him and commissioned him for service (Rom. 1:1).

Now, we see an obedient servant in Ananias. Ananias (even though he was afraid of Saul), went right on over and told Saul exactly what God had told him to say and do. This had to be a humbling experience for Saul as well. The very people he had wanted to destroy was where his help came from.

Not only will Saul's physical sight be restored, but his spiritual sight as well. Notice also that God, the Holy Ghost, will empower Saul to witness the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

9:18

As I said in the verses above, the scales fell from his spiritual eyes, as well as his physical eyes. His sight was twofold: physical and spiritual. Now having eyes, he could see. The Light of Jesus had entered into his inner most being and drove out all the darkness.

• 1 month later...

God sent Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly because not only did Ananias relay the message, but he was also able to welcome Paul into the Christian community.   This also meant that the Christian community was informed of the change in Paul's life, and was ready to welcome him, as they might not have been had they not had this foreknowledge.

Ananias argued with God because, knowing Paul's reputation, he was fearful.   

It takes courage to obey because we so often do not believe that God knows best, and we prefer to use our own judgement.   It is a step into the unknown in faith, and that is frightening.

Ananias laid hands on him - the Christian act of blessing and transference of the Holy Spirit.  He prayed with him and explains that he is the emissary of Christ, and does not come in his own strength.   In welcoming him to the Christian fellowship, he explains what will happen - that he will regain his sight, and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Yes, I have felt these promptings.   Sometimes, like Ananias, I have not had the courage.   But when I have overcome this, I have discovered that the blessing falls not only on the person to whom I ministered, but on myself as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Why do you think God sends Ananias to Paul rather than revealing directly?

The fact that God chose to use Ananias to go to Paul was so that Paul would see that the Lord could use His followers as instruments of His will be done on earth. That through prayer to God that Paul would see that He answers prayer and will use His followers for works of healing, mercy and grace.

Ananias knew the name Saul of Tarsus and of his reputation of persecuting the believers of Jesus Christ those who were of the Way. Ananias also knew that Saul had the authority to capture and persecute anyone who called on the name of the Lord.

Because fear has been ushered in through the news of Saul’s campaign of persecution of the believers. It takes courage (FAITH) to obey a command that puts your life in jeopardy.

Ananias obeys and goes the street called Straight, finds Saul and lays his hands on him to pray. He tells Saul that the Lord Jesus who appeared to Saul on the road also told him to come and pray for him.

Have you ever had God guide you to talk with someone and minister to him or her? Have you followed through?

• 1 month later...

I BELIEVE HE SENT ANANIAS BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO CHANGE HIS HEART AS WELL AS PAUL. HE DIDNT WANT TO DO IT BECAUSE HE KNEW WHAT A TERRIBLE MAN AS BEING SAUL WAS AND HE WAS AFRAID. WE ARE SOMETIMES AFRAID WHEN GOD SPEAKS AND TELL US TO DO SOMETHING BUT WE MUST OBEY AND TRUST GOD TO GET US THROUGH IT. ANANIAS OBEYED GOD AND CALLED SAUL BROTHER. I AM ALWAYS WILLING TO TALK TO EVERYBODY ABOUT THE LORD SO I DONT KNOW IF ITS GOD OR I JUST LOVE HIM THAT MUCH.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think God sent Ananias to Paul as confirmation for both Paul and the church. Imagine how confused Paul must have been after such a powerful revelation! But at this point, one could still argue that it was all in his head. Though the people who were with him at the time of his encounter heard a voice, the idea of what God was saying must have taken some getting used to. After a lifetime zealously committed to a vastly different reality.  But to have a vision of an 'Ananias' coming to heal you,  followed by Ananias showing up to do just that would lay the matter to rest. A "verily, verily, verily" moment, so to speak. 

It was also God's formal introduction of Paul to the church. Acts 9:19 tells us he spent several days with the disciples after that. 

• 1 year later...

Paul can't be a good disciple he is not discipled therefore Ananias was send to Paul  disciple him and introduce him in to the Christ family.

Ananias asked to know not to doubt. His questions help in understanding the ministry and true salvation of Paul. God have always use man to mediate between man to man.

It takes courage to obey God's will especially where a danger is perceived. It is evidence of total surrender to his will and once reading to count his or her life nothing for Christ.  

Ananias, went and getting the he called him "brother Paul" he laid hand on him and said received your sight. God has send me to you by vission to pray for you to have your sight back and be filled with the Holy spirit. 

Yes I have had the leadings to minister to people.

Many a times I don't because of fear and lack of courage.