JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Gifts and Callings

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts?

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach?

In relations the 1st Corinthians 9:16-17, I believe Paul is saying the greater glory is to deny Self and to exalt the Lords’ guidance. I believe he is saying his role is similar to that of John the Baptizer, he is to do what thus said the Lord for the Lord. I believe Paul in deed and word lift the Saving Lord up wherein by the hearing of the Word from the Lord by faith the hearer is drawn to the Lord. I believe he is saying he is to serve Christ, say what Christ has blessed him to say/do and in doing so the Holy Spirit will draw and save souls. 

“Paul sees his calling and ministry as a sacred trust that he is compelled to complete both out of obedience and as a kind of sacred trust (1st Corinthians 9:16-17; Galatians 2:7; 1 Thessalonians 2:4; Titus 1:3). 

How much choice is involved for him? 

I’d say he had as much a choice as anyone called to serve the Lord. 

In a sense this is a difficult question, being that God gave mankind the power of choice from day one. We all have the ability to choose. There are too many instances in the Bible making mention God allots mankind the ability to choose, (life or death, righteousness or sin, justice or deceit), Joshua 24:15 And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Again there are too many passages of Scripture conveying we have the power of choice, most are in regards to life or death, righteousness or sin, justice or deceit more so than ministry.  Even so ministry doesn’t negate the power of choice.  Peter in Galatians 2 made a decision as did others in the midst of ministry. God continually encourages us to make the  choices that are pleasing to Him.

However, in Paul case I believe he was SO committed to the call, the charge, the cause that he felt compelled to remain faithful to the call, the charge, the cause.

How much honor? 

I believe it was a GREAT honor that Paul was entrusted with the task of preaching the Gospel.  

“the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me

“we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel

“which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour

In the Book of Job God knew He could trust Job; the Adversary believed as Job encountered harsh situations/circumstance/event he would trust God. 

In this life we can ALWAYS trust God, it is a BLESSED honor when He can trust us, even when to our natural eyes we may not see the importance of Him placing His trust in us.   

How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? 

“We should appreciate His trust in us is for His PURPOSE!” 

Power (His anointing/His strength) to

Usher the

Righteous of Christ/ the Reconciliation unto Him

Preparing/Prompting  

Others unto Justification   

Sanctification unto /Glorification and

Eternal/everlasting life

We mustn’t abuse the spiritual gifts He has blessed/entrusted to the Servants within the Ministry of Reconciliation. These gifts are not for self-glorification or anything in the likeness thereof but are of divine necessities according to His purposeful will.

What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

Misuse/abuse (1st Corinthians 12–14 covers use/abuse/and misuse not in an exhaustive manner, yet well enough to convey the sentiment; 1st Peter 4:7-11)

He viewed it as a necessity or otherwise as a trust committed to him to fulfill.

He has no choice but to preach the gospel.

How much honor?

He has nothing to glory of. He is just fulfilling his God giving task.

How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry?

We should know that it is a necessity  or, to say, trust committed unto us which we mustn't trifle with lest we are accounted to be a slothful and wicked servant.

What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts?

Unfaithfulness and irresponsibility.

Paul viewed his calling to preach as a responsibility and a compelling thing to do in obedience to God.

There is no choice left to Paul as he surely and certainly knows he has obey God's calling to preach to the Gentiles. 

No honor to self but through him God would receive honor from a man who persecuted the  Church. 

From Paul's life we learn and understand that we must use our God given gifts and obey the call of God in whatever way He has chosen us to fulfill his purposes. Like Paul we must view it as our responsibility and do it because  God has trusted us to fulfill that calling.  We must not neglect our call nor waste our gifts but obey God and do what we must.

The opposite of faithfulness is unfaithfulness towards God and we are recognized as unfaithful servants because we did value and use our God given gifts.

How does Paul view his call to preach? He takes it very seriously.It is of great importantce to him and a necessity.He is compelled to preach the gospel because he is fulfilling a sacred trust entrusted to him by God.

How much choice is involved for him?He has no choice but to fulfill it.

How much honor?It is such a great honor given to him by the grace of God.

The various spiritual gifts that God has given to all who believe have to be fully utilized. It should not be taken for granted. The spiritual gifts that God gives actually enhance our ministry. We do not look at another’s gift or calling because each has his or her special and unique gifting and calling. It is all important to god’s plan for each. It takes is a desirable heart that hungers and thirsts for the Lord and His Kingdom.

What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?God’s spiritual gifts should be used for the Kingdom of God. If it used for personal gains, casually or neglected than it is unfaithfulness to God. Those who neglect are considered evil and unfaithful in God’s eyes.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts?

We had a life before we accepted Jesus Christ as Lord.  Paul was killing the Christians.  God stopped Paul because he was radical during the wrong thing [killing the Christians].  God knew Paul would be just as radical saving souls.  Paul view his calling to preach the same way he viewed his order to kill the Christians.  However, it was completely different because Christ revealed Himself to Paul leading and guiding Paul to do what was needed to build God's Kingdom.  I feel after been left with no sight he was ministered to from God which thinking of his old life he knew that he had to be obedient; so no choice was involved.  Paul just submitted to God.  He did not look at this change in his life as something to be honor but only to obey.  As for me it helps me to just do what is right in the eyes of the Lord regarding God's gifting and calling us for ministry.  The opposite of unfaithfulness towards God's gifts are abuser, disloyalty,  and not grateful because it is an honor to be used by God for His Glory to be revealed to people.

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

That he had a responsibility to preach the gospel and was compelled by Christ to do so.

Very little choice; he can do it voluntarily or against his will, but he is going to do it.

Very little or none; "I have nothing to boast of"

We should be like Paul, if God calls us to ministry and gifts us then we should thank Him for choosing us and step up and serve in that capacity.

Unfaithfulness: Ouch!! That smarts!! That's when we don't us or refuse to use the gifts He has given us. And we don't serve or use our gifts and someone else has to step up and take our place.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

,.Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts?

1. Paul felt compelled of necessity to preach the Gospel....the glad tidings of the Lord!

2. Paul preached of his own free will, entrusted with a sacred trusteeship and commission.

3. It is his honor to be used in ministry but desired no glory for doing so.

4. God graces us with gifts....we are free to use them or not....but if we desire to be found faithful, we too will choose, as Paul did, to allow Holy Spirit to work through us and to make our calling sure through ministry.

5. The opposite would be "slothfulness" or apathy, or rebellion. 

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

To Paul, his apostolic ministry is everything. It defines him. In a sense, he tells us, he has no choice but to fulfill his call.  His ministry is a matter of great grace as well as obedience. Christ has sent him; he must obey. Two words stand out in this passage. Paul preaches both out of  necessity, as well as the fulfillment of a sacred trust.

We must remember that we are servants who are called to be obedient.  We may not be apostles or prophets, but God has entrusted each of us with gifts and opportunities that we are to use for his Kingdom. This is not optional, but what disciples take on themselves when they commit their lives to serve Jesus. It is often a great joy, since we tend to excel when we are doing what we are made to do. But it can also entail suffering -- much suffering -- as it did for Paul, Jesus, and Stephen. Nevertheless, serving Jesus, and completing the tasks he gives us, is our joy and our portion. And it fulfills our lives.

The opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts is unfaithfulness, rebellion and disobedience.  Jesus tells the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14-30) and the Parable of the Minas (Luke 19:11-27) to help us understand that a good and faithful servant uses what he is given to advance his Master's cause and Kingdom. Those who neglect this for whatever reason are considered evil and unfaithful servants.

How does Paul view his call to preach?

Paul views his call to preach as a sacred trust.  He preaches out of necessity and fulfillment of a sacred trust.

How much choice is involved for him? How much honor?

Not much choice is involved for him.  Paul states that he has been compelled to preach.  Paul looks at it as a great honor that he had been entrusted by God with the gospel.

Spiritual gifts are given to all believers.  We are to be obedient and use the gift that has been entrusted to us.

What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts?

Disobedience.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Paul is compelled to preach and views it as a sacred trust.

2. & 3.  Not much.  He does it willingly and counts it as an honor entrusted to him. If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me." (1 Corinthians 9:16-17)

4. That various spiritual gifts are given to all believers.  Your special gift is entrusted to you.  You must not neglect how God has shaped you and gifted you.  Let us never forget that we are servants who are called to be obedient.

5. Unfaithfulness/Disobedience.

1. Paul is saying if he preach the gospel, the glory is not for him. It‘s something he must do. If he don’t preach the gospel, damnation will be for him.

2. The choice is his, but he has been converted to do the will of God. He actually do not have a choice if he is to obey God faithfully.

3. His honor is being blessed to do God’s will. He must fulfill God’s will.

4. We have an opportunity to use the gift God has given us to his glory.

5. Unfaithfulness

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17)

Q. How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How much honor?

A. As a task/ duty/ responsibility that must be done by compulsion. He considers the assignment as a privilege and by grace done to an unworthy persecutor of the Lord

Q. How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry?

A. We need to know that it is from God for service to His Church and should accept whole heartedlly and without delay. So help me Lord God Almighty.

Q. What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

A. Failure/ refusal  to respond positively to the calling to use our gifts for service to His Church

In light of the questions and answers so far, let me give my own personal experience:  I received Christ into my life at age 11.  I started going door to door inviting people to come to church and to come to know Jesus.  At 12 I knew God had called me into vocational ministry.  I preached my first sermon at age 16.  At 18 I started preaching in Stephens County Jail in Toccoa, Ga, while going to Bible College.  I married my wife in my senior year and we served at volunteer Youth and Music for 15 years and since 1986 as vocational pastor and wife with 3 of those years as missionaries in Germany.  It has always been a holu unction, driving desire that God placed in my heart and in my wife's.  There was never a time we did not believe God wanted to use us in that way.  It is beyond humbling.  It is beyond weighty.  We recognize that we are totally dependent upon the Holy Spirit.  I cannot imagine saying, "No", when Jesus did so much for me, to me, in me, and through me.  There is no human explanation for our lives except GOD has been at work in us and through us.  Yes, there have been times we have failed; times we went through hardship and a force out after 8 fruitful years.  Regardless, God has always been faithful and supplied every need.  He continues to use us as pastor and wife in Alabama and we are privileged to be His children, His servants, and serve His kingdom purposes.  No other deserves praise excpect our Coming King, the Lord Jesus!!  God's calling to salvation and to vocational ministry has never been in question.  It has always been a privilege and honor!

On 8/29/2019 at 1:18 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

We are servants of God called to be obedient in proclaiming God`s word to be used for his Kingdom sake.

Paul was converted to do the will of God and willing to adjust his personal practices and preferences in order to influence others to consider Christ`s claims and to find a personal relationship with God. He actually says more about a willingness to restrict our freedoms and become more moderate in our standards than a need to gain knowledge.  

Willingly to set aside our own personal rights in order not to hinder the message of God. As Christians, we must be just as willing to restrict our rights as we expand our rights when it comes to loving consideration for others.

The opposite of faithfulness is unfaithfulness, rebellion and disobedience. 

Paul view his call bot out of necessity and a sacred trust

Paul said necessity was “laid upon him” he was pressed, compelled, constrained, required, duty-bound to preach the gospel. His preaching was a matter of duty, not of choice it was his charge, his work, his business and his life. He did not choose to be a preacher. If he didn’t preach, he would be disobeying God

How much honor? Paul was grateful that he was appointed an apostle by Christ but felt unworthy of honor.

How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? God’s gift and call is precious, to use for the up building of His kingdom, now while its day, night come when no one can work. I Thank God for salvation. The least I can do is work in the vineyard.

What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts? unfaithful and disobedient

Q4. (1 Corinthians 9:16-17) 
How does Paul view his call to preach? 
How much honour? 
What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

Jesus had told Paul to preach the gospel to the Gentiles and to the people of Israel (Acts 9:15). He understood this was a command from the Lord, and if he was disobedient, “Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!” (1 Cor 9:16), he would bring the greatest misery upon himself. He does not have much choice. He knows what happened to Jonah, and like Jonah, Paul was compelled to preach. He must preach the gospel of salvation - in his own words to Timothy, “in season and out of season” (2 Tim 4:2). Paul is a servant of Jesus Christ, as he often notes in his epistles, and as such he faithfully executes his task (Luke 17:10). He would preach, and all the honour and glory would all be God’s. By obeying Jesus, he had only done his duty and he regarded it as a privilege. In the same way each one of us have been gifted with spiritual gifts and it is our bound duty to use them to the glory of our Lord.
They are all used to strengthen the body of Christ, the church. This not an option – not using them can be seen an act of disobedience. 

On 8/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul views his calling as one he is compelled to do. He is trusting Christ for his ministry and very obedient to the Lord.

Paul is obedient to the Lord and does not allow his flesh with it's desires to interfere with choices he makes.

Paul is very humble and excepts no credit or honor for himself, but only gives glory to the Lord.

We should follow the example that Paul gives us for serving the Lord, well disciplined and obedient.

The opposite of faithfulness to using God's gifts is not being obedient to the Lord. Not taking our gifts seriously or using them only when we feel like it, at our own convince.

He views his calling as one that God has called him to and he is basically compelled to do. Paul believes that it is best to do it as a stewardship for God to gave it to him as such. Paul is extremely humble and knows that he will get no honor for it. We should be willing to do the work of the Lord without looking for acclaim and rewards but only being well disciplined like Paul. The opposite of that is disobedience. 

Paul viewed his calling to preach as a sacred trust (appointed by Christ ) and as a necessity in obedience to the calling .

Paul teaches us the importance of using our gifts and fulfilling the  ministries given to us in trust .We are servants who are called to be obedient .

As such we need to be good stewards of our gifts .

We would be disobedient if we treat the gifts nonchalantly ,irresponsibly .

The gifts are to be used to serve the body of Christ ,not for our own satisfaction or pride .

I think Paul was looking at this as having found his place in life. He heard directly from Jesus and having been incapacitated (blinded), he realized that he had been swimming against the current (kicking the goads?) and that his zealousness for trying to live out the law and please the Pharisees went against everything he had been doing. He was well versed in the OT and he finally realized that certain prophecies had come to pass, that he was living many centuries behind the times.

He didn’t really look at it so much as choice as it was something that came naturally to him. It was the fact that he was on the wrong track all this time. He wasn’t really looking for honor or glory because he knew that those things went only to Christ. He also realizes that looking for it in this life will void it come resurrection time.

This should have the effect on all of us to do what we are called to do. He mentions that not everybody is called to preach, or teach, etc., but there is something each person can do to fulfill his/her part. I’m sure the list of gifts goes well beyond what Paul mentions. For most, it involves something they never would have dreamed of doing before their conversion to Christ and even afterwards it might seem somewhat uncomfortable but remember that it takes many parts to make a motor run but only one bad part to make it quit. Being the star of the show is not what it is all about. Think of it like this, when you watch a movie you only see the actors but for every actor, there are countless others involved, each with their own function and failure of that one person to do their job at the very least causes unnecessary delays.

The opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God’s gifts is rejection of what we are called to do.

He believes that he has been entrusted with preaching the Gospel. That he is compelled to preach and that if he does it voluntarily he has a reward. But if he doesn't do it voluntarily that he is simply doing what he was told to do anyway. 

He believes that it is an honor or sacred trust to preach what the Lord has shown him. He doesn't believe that he really has a  choice; that  it is his duty and responsibility to preach the Word.

This should cause us to understand that we have a sacred calling as well. That we are to use our gifts and talents for the Lord. That we are to tell others about the Lord. 

The opposite of faithfulness is disobedience and unwillingness to use our gifts as we should It is simply acting selfishly instead of using it for God's glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Preaching the Good News was Paul’s gift and calling, and he said he couldn’t stop preaching even if he wanted to. Paul was driven by the desire to do what God wanted, using his gifts for God’s glory. God has given us special gifts we need to be motivated, like Paul, to honor God with our gifts and do His work.

Like Paul, he asserts that he had freedom to do anything emphasizing a life of strict discipline. Christian life should involves both freedom and discipline. The goals of Paul’s life were to glorify God and bring people to Christ. Thus, he stayed free of any philosophical position or material entanglement that might sidetrack him, while he strictly disciplined himself to carry out his goal. For Paul, both freedom and discipline were important tools to be used in God’s service. We should be faithful and obedient to serve God.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul had a task that was laid on him when he chose to follow Jesus.   He sees his call to preach as a "necessity" and failure to do so would bring bitter consequences  ("woe is me")

Paul made the initial choice when he was confronted by Jesus on the Damascus road, and chose to follow Him.  Once that choice was made, he could make no further choices, but was under obligation to obey Jesus and to follow His commandments.

When we look back at Paul's life, there was little worldly honour - only persecution and imprisonment.   But always, at the back of his mind was the heavenly crown to which he was striving, and which would be his reward in the life to come  (2 Tim. 4:8)

We must understand that we are compelled to use the gifts that God has given us.  There is no choice.  There will probably be no earthly reward, but our reward will be in drawing closer to Christ as we do His will.

The opposite is a refusal to accept and use the gifts and an unwillingness to continue to use those gifts.  i.e. we may become lethargic and lose our enthusiasm.

• 2 years later...

(1 Corinthians 9:16-17) How does Paul view his call to preach? How much choice is involved for him? How much honor? How should this understanding affect our understanding of God gifting and calling us for ministry? What is the opposite of faithfulness when it comes to using God's gifts?

He feels he needs to do that. There is no option. His choice is to be an obedient vessel and to be that he needs to fulfill his call and that is to preach. That is his gift and he needs to use it. He needs to be and desires to be faithful in using the gifts, God has bestowed on him. Earthly honour is not what draws him. He wants to live for Christ and follow His leading, be that wherever. Faithfulness is the only option. 

When we are not faithful in following God's direction, we are disobedient.