JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Responsibilities of an Elder

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

All three positions/callings include watching over, protecting, shepherding, spiritual development, and taking care of the group of people God has assigned them to lead.  Taking care of the congregation means both physically as well as spiritually.  The responsibilities of all three also include both the needs of church as a whole as well as the individual. 

The responsibilities of the elders, pastor, and overseer are serious and important.  The responsibility of leading a group of people or a church for Jesus Christ is a great responsibility.  The responsibilities are demanding.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

We learn about the responsibilities of elders by the definitions Peter gives in 1 Peter 5:1-2 that they are advanced in age, usually the leaders of the congregation; a pastor leads the people and tend to them, also considered the Shepard of the flock; an overseer is usually referred to as a bishop who oversees the congregations in his care and most times is an elder.

The thing that stood out the most about the three responsibilities above is that they are to be humble, willing to serve, not to be greedy or over lords of the people. Not forcing some to serve against their best wishes.

• 1 year later...

The role Eldership speaks of mature and experienced leadership.

The role pastor speaks of care and provision for the flock. Making sure they are safe and spiritually well fed. Knowing their condition in an ongoing way.

The role of an overseer speaks of strategy, planning, and ruling.

All three of these terms address the role of a New Testament elder. He is to be mature (not a novice), he must evidence love for the people that he serves and to be mindful of their needs. He is to be a good manager of the flock- looking ahead and considering the requirements of the whole body of people that he is charged to care for. None of these terms ( elder, pastor, overseer) is a title, they are more a description of what the leader does ( a job description). These descriptions embody an aspect of rank and responsibility. The Lord Jesus is our Chief Shepherd.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Why is a willingness to die, if need be, essential to healthy Christianity during persecution. What happens when we aren't willing to die, when we are afraid to "take up our cross daily" (Luke 9:23) and follow Jesus? What does this have to do with "commiting ourselves to a faithful Creator"?

---All servants of God,called to Preach,Teach and Prophecy.

--- Willingness to serve

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2004 at 0:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The responsibilities of an elder is to provide supervision, protection, discipline, instruction and he assumes spiritual responsibility for God's people that have been placed in his or her charge.  What stood out most is that they all have the responsibility of caring for the people of God.

On 4/18/2004 at 4:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The responsibilities of an elder from the definitions, as elder, pastor or shepherd we must humble ourselves, caring, nurturing, be patient, enduring and good example to our members. As considering the words is to good example good overseer as our Lord Jesus Christ.

On 4/18/2004 at 4:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The responsibilities of an elder from the definitions, an elder, pastor or shepherd we must humble ourselves, caring, nurturing, be patient, enduring and good example to our members. As considering the words is to good example good overseer as our Lord Jesus Christ.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2004 at 9:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.  Jesus is our "elder Brother" and He came to serve rather than to be served. He championed women, rather than shutting them up and shutting them away, or diminishing their place in service or worship. He served with the ultimate love, grace, wisdom, humility and respect for all, yet knew Who He was and stayed within the limits of His calling and mission. He was not impressed with status, wealth, position, gender or piety (false, that is).

Elders, pastors and overseers minister and serve under His Lordship and anointing, therefore they are to follow in His footsteps in regard to their duties.  Treating their responsibilities and their flock as Jesus treated His, is required for successful ministry in His eyes and heart. When spiritual leaders "play" to the crowd or the media, and start believing their own "press releases" in regard to numbers, wealth, buildings, public platform, etc. they are failing in administering His calling and the body suffers and is weakened.

1 hour ago, JanMary said:

1.  Jesus is our "elder Brother" and He came to serve rather than to be served. He championed women, rather than shutting them up and shutting them away, or diminishing their place in service or worship. He served with the ultimate love, grace, wisdom, humility and respect for all, yet knew Who He was and stayed within the limits of His calling and mission. He was not impressed with status, wealth, position, gender or piety (false, that is).

Elders, pastors and overseers minister and serve under His Lordship and anointing, therefore they are to follow in His footsteps in regard to their duties.  Treating their responsibilities and their flock as Jesus treated His, is required for successful ministry in His eyes and heart. When spiritual leaders "play" to the crowd or the media, and start believing their own "press releases" in regard to numbers, wealth, buildings, public platform, etc. they are failing in administering His calling and the body suffers and is weakened.

O you are so real JanMary, speaking Truth -- spot on. I love it!

On 4/18/2004 at 2:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Peter is addressing Elders in the church and their responsibilities towards the church, Christians or those seeking Christ in various ways -- budding, new through to mature Christians. We all need a shepherd and encouragement. Someone that will listen to us, help us in time of need, teach us, counsel us, help us grow, help us learn, love us like family. Our headship is Jesus Christ, the Chief Shepherd. We all come to church or seek God from a different backstory, being remarkably unique. We don't know who we are talking to and their backstory or need but God knows.

I believe that Elders can be anyone in church having a calling by God and led by the Holy Spirit to minister to a fellow Christian or someone that may be seeking God. Sure, it helps to be well versed in the bible, but where there is a need, as children of God, we are to act  in His love. We don't need to have a prayer meeting and seek wise Counsel, for the Holy Spirit is our Counsellor.  

O Lord, grant each one of us called by You, and earnestly willing to serve You, to follow Your leading in any situation that we may be faced with, for ourselves or our fellow Christians and indeed Christians in waiting. Lord that we have the courage and faith and humility to seek You and to listen to Your small still voice in us to serve your flock, wherever they might be, lost or needing an encouraging word or a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on or a meal to share. For we are one in You, one family, beloved by One Father.  To You be the glory.

Their responsibilities are very important to the health and safety of the church.  They are guardians & overseers.  The pastor and his name are most associated to the church.  That is no small responsibility.

Q1. (5:1-2) 
What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? 
What stood out to you as you considered these words?

I see them all primarily in a teaching and leadership position in our church today. They must of course be of mature Christian character, qualified by the Holy Spirit to provide spiritual leadership. They should share in fellowship, and besides instructing us, be caring as well. Because of the great responsibility they are to be judged by the fruit of the Spirit. What stood out for me was the fact that they are to be humble, and not greedy for money or power. 

On 4/19/2004 at 7:45 PM, AngelOnLine said:

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"?

I believe that they all have basically the same responsibilities, They should be the Leaders or Shepherds and eager and willing to serve. The leaders of the Church should assume the responsibility of taking care of the needs of their members both spiritually and physically.

The leaders should be like Jesus, taking care of His flock. But the members should also be looking out for those in need. :rolleyes:

This was an interesting section since it would appear that all of the titles are essentially the same, to have a responsibility for the members of the flock. Sometimes churches today may have a myriad of levels and titles which in some instances may just be for the title itself versus the responsibility. I can't really say emphatically that this is the case, but when you look at the disparity between the pastor ad his crew compared to the flock, something is very wrong.

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

1.  An elder can be in older, advanced in age, or knowledgeable mainly concerning the word of God. An elder, pastor, and overseer have the duty of assuming spiritual responsibilities for God's people that have been placed in his or her charge. A shepherd which is a pastor, tends to the sheep, leads, guides, and protects. An overseer is there to ensure everything is going right and to give assistance as needed.

2.  They all have a great responsibility and are to care for the people under them. They are to be truthful, kind, caring, loving, and concerned. They are to feed the people the word of God.

An elder is God’s representative as head of His earthly church.  He is entrusted with God’s work in his church, community.  He is the shepherd of his congregation and should tend to the spiritual as well as personal needs of the members of his flock.  He is to annoint  the sick and pray for healing(James 5:14)

As I considered the definition, I looked at Jesus as our Good Shepherd.  He cares about us, He  is always there for us.  He showed how much He loved us by offering Himself as a sacrifice for the redemption of our sins.   An elder should be Christ-like.

as an elder, pastor or overseer one is responsible for a group of Christians just as a Shepherd is responsible for his sheep. This is an awesome task, in this task one should be humble and continually pray to God four guides and help to carry out the proper supervision off the flock.

Q1. (5:1-2)

Q. What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"?

A. Care for the spiritual and physical needs of those God has placed under the elder/ pastor/ overseer

Q. What stood out to you as you considered these words?

A. I have a responsibility to see to the welfare of those under my care

The responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"  are shepherds. Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers."

They should be protect all christians and tell about good News from Bible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2004 at 0:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer" are to be a spiritual support for members of his/her congregation.  Support may come in he form of a counselor, a teacher, friend, they are there when the Pastor is not available to be with a parishioner in times of birth and death.  As I consider the definitions given I am amazed that I don't see this in Elders.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2004 at 11:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In 1st Peter 5:1-2 we learn about the responsibilities of elders, pastors and overseers, they are to care for the sheep, their spiritual needs, healings and protection from the enemy.

The thing that stood out the most when considering the roll of a pastor is to assure the spiritual needs of those they are caring for. 

• 6 years later...

Church leaders need to stress the biblical command that those who are older in faith and years must mentor those who are younger. Rather than assume this will happen, the command to mentor needs to be stressed. Unfortunately, I've seen very little true commitment of the older to the younger and have never heard any pastor in the pulpit preaching the word on this topic. 

The church would run far more smoothly if every older person mentored at least one younger person. Seriously mentored. Cared. Prayed. Advised. Watched over.

This rarely happens. Older men (and some women) in their 50s+ are often at the peak of their careers, packing in those last few dollars for retirement, pushing their kids through university or starting them in careers. They act as if they cannot prioritize mentoring those outside their families. Similarly, older women often spend their free time raising their grandchildren rather than turn from their child-rearing duties and do something for others. It's too easy to stay in the childrearing rut ... too comfortable to stretch out selflessly toward others. Like the mean, these older women claim they don't have time for others in the church. I wish church leaders would get up and denounce this sort of selfishness, for that's what this is. It is selfish ONLY to give to yourself and your family ... self-serving, sometimes narcissistic.

Older Christians have to be taught to see themselves as ready to assume mentoring responsibilities in the church. This is God's plan. He plans for the older to mentor for the younger, the strong to care for the widows, etc. 

Personally, I'm at the age between the birth of my children and the death of my sole surviving parent. My kids are out of the nest but my father is dying and needs constant care. I'm using this time to pray and grow, write and think, and prepare for the next and best stage of life, as I'm near the point where He can send me and use me most fully.