JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Responsibilities of an Elder

The responsibilities of an elder, pastor or overseer sem to be much the same: they are service roles with responsibility for the members of the church, encouragement, strengthening, building up, etc. They are not role involving domination or control. There originally was a college of these leaders having responsibility together for the flock (church). They were respected older members of the churches who had long demonstrated their godly qualities.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

That they are eager to serve as willing overseerers of God's flock.

I am to use their expamples as lesson's on how I too should go about life, and respect the elder's for they are there to help my walk with Christ.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

They are responsible for helping fellow Christians grow in their knowledge and their walk with God. They are here to help us and lead us and guide us and to gently unstruct us in our ways.

What stood out to me was that I'm not alone in all of this. This walk with God is more like a shared responsibility and it brings me great relief to know that I can count on somebody else to help see me through the fiery trials I may face and encourage me to keep on keeping on.

• 1 year later...
What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

The responsibilities are to minister, particularly young and newly born again Christians, so they grow to be mature Christians too; to tend those under their care as a shepherd tends his flock, making sure it is safe and nourished; and to act as a guardian and to take responsibility and to lead those under their care. What strikes me is that the role is less authoritarian and much more loving and supportive.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The elder, pastor or overseer willingly watches over the spiritual and physical well-being of the congregation. What stands out to me, as a Pastor, is that this is a big responsibility not to be taken lightly and is very demanding.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Q1. (5:1-2) What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"? What stood out to you as you considered these words?

Peter was an Apostle of Jesus Christ, a very special office in the church and yet he refers to himself as a fellow Elder. The word Elder in the Greek is ( Presbuteros) and it is where we get our English word presbyter which is simply defined as one who holds office in the church and exercies teaching, priestly and administrative functions.

Peter understood his role as an Apostle he also understood that he is on the same level with these other leaders who are Elders. He identifies with them as one who has the same function of serving Christ's Sheep.

Paul was a fellow worker of all the workers in the church as is Peter. That's why it's important for Elders or deacons or any leader in the church not to take a haughty attitude as though they were above anyone. Their roles in the church may be different from others but that doesn't mean they are above anyone, as people called out to represent Christ in this world. Their call is to be servants to the flock.

The office of Elder or Deacon commands a special respect but only to the degree that Christ gives that office, that responsibility to lead, a special importance for the benefit of the church. If that office of elder is not used in a servants role then it is being misused. Same for Pastor, Elder, and overseer.

Their responsibility is to teach, guide, serve, care for, respect, with humility, also guard. Every Pastor is an Elder and a Shepherd, but not every Elder is necessarily a Pastor, and yet every Elder is involved in the process of shepherding the flock as they teach and exhort and rule under the direction who has been called to Pastor that particular flock.

And so Shepherding necessarily involves teaching the truth of God's word. But Elders,which includes Pastors, should be overseeing the direction of the church as God gives them guidance.

Peter was an Apostle of Jesus Christ, a very special office in the church and yet he refers to himself as a fellow Elder. The word Elder in the Greek is ( Presbuteros) and it is where we get our English word presbyter which is simply defined as one who holds office in the church and exercies teaching, priestly and administrative functions.

Peter understood his role as an Apostle he also understood that he is on the same level with these other leaders who are Elders. He identifies with them as one who has the same function of serving Christ's Sheep.

Paul was a fellow worker of all the workers in the church as is Peter. That's why it's important for Elders or deacons or any leader in the church not to take a haughty attitude as though they were above anyone. Their roles in the church may be different from others but that doesn't mean they are above anyone, as people called out to represent Christ in this world. Their call is to be servants to the flock.

The office of Elder or Deacon commands a special respect but only to the degree that Christ gives that office, that responsibility to lead, a special importance for the benefit of the church. If that office of elder is not used in a servants role then it is being misused. Same for Pastor, Elder, and overseer.

Their responsibility is to teach, guide, serve, care for, respect, with humility, also guard. Every Pastor is an Elder and a Shepherd, but not every Elder is necessarily a Pastor, and yet every Elder is involved in the process of shepherding the flock as they teach and exhort and rule under the direction who has been called to Pastor that particular flock.

And so Shepherding necessarily involves teaching the truth of God's word. But Elders,which includes Pastors, should be overseeing the direction of the church as God gives them guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=42&t=185

We will learn that one can only be an elder in Christ's Church when one's own family is in order. The responsibilities are many, and include: caring for, looking out for, shepherding which is leading and protecting the flock, and giving attention to the members of the Church.

Elders have to set the example and the hardest part for them is to show humility. It is easy to assert oneself and act as though in control. But to have humility, as a servant, is hard.

• 1 month later...

This is a command from God that the elders and leaders take care and feed His people. This is not to be taken lightly. This is a very important assignment from God. The words that stuck out the most was spiritual responsibility. Having to take care of what another person spiritually and being responsible for what is being taught about God by you.

This is a command from God that the elders and leaders take care and feed His people. This is not to be taken lightly. This is a very important assignment from God. The words that stuck out the most was spiritual responsibility. Having to take care of what another person spiritually and being responsible for what is being taught about God by you.

• 3 weeks later...

We as leaders are responsible for our flock. We are to tend to their needs. God has chosen us to look after his flock till his return. We are to look after them spiritually and in all their needs.

The huge responsibility God has entrusted us with. That I really need to be in Jesus all the time to fulfill this trust.

We are to care for the needs of the flock God entrusted to us. We must look after them spiritually as well as all aspects of their needs. We are chosen by God as the leaders of the church. Thus we have a great responsibility. We must do this by being in the word and listening to God in all things.

• 3 weeks later...

In doing this question all I can really hear is Jesus saying to Peter, 'Feed my sheep'

That in essence is it - Feed my sheep; spiritually, mentally, physically, emotionally. With scripture, healing words, truthful words and a hot meal when they are hungry.

It's not so much about leadership as being there for one another, reaching out for one another, supporting one another.

FEED MY SHEEP

• 8 months later...

The definition of the three words in question here all have the same meaning, and as such would have the same job description, this being one placed in charge of a small gathering or even a large assembly of people. Included in the job, they would take overall responsibility for the flocks spiritual as well as many physical needs.

I believe that such responsibility should never be taken lightly, and those who do, should understand the implications attached, have grave consequences. This is a task best left to those who have been called into the task, are spiritually mature and are qualified to provide both spiritual guidance and physical support as needed by those placed under their charge.

I recently started a blog which I hope that will help some to better understand the spiritual dimension of our daily walk with the Lord. It is brief testomny of my life and how God works in our lives today.

http://kzed-kensblog.blogspot.com/

I learned the responsibilities are to care for believers, disciple them, feed them with the word of God, amd protect them. What stood out to me was my pastor and elders in our church. They are very loving, caring, and concerned about the needs in our lives and the church. They are praying continually for the people and the church.

• 10 months later...

Q1. (5:1-2)

What do you learn about the responsibilities of an elder from the definitions of "elder," "pastor," and "overseer"?

What stood out to you as you considered these words?

I see them all primarily in a teaching and leadership position in our church today. They must of course be of mature Christian character, qualified by the Holy Spirit to provide spiritual leadership. They should share in fellowship, and besides instructing us, be caring as well. Because of the great responsibility they are to be judged by the fruit of the Spirit. What stood out for me was the fact that they are to be humble, and not greedy for money or power.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What stands out to me is the responsibility an elder has for the spiritual well-being of the people under his care and leadership. Over 20 years ago I was home group leader for my suburban area and I was always conscious of making sure I taught correct doctrine and tried my best to be the "servant to the rest".

• 1 year later...

1a)Subtle differences between each Elders –Experienced Christians who humble serve by looking out for needs of the flock. Pastor In charge of pastoral care of the flock in churches,feeding from word of God, praying for &anointing to bring healing,protecting them and seeking to provide for their practical and spiritual needs. Overseer- an administrative role, ensuring flock is well supported, and emotional,spiritual and physical needs are provided for.

B)Each one is called and gifted by God, recognised by church body as humble servants with responsibilities covering vast range of changing physical,emotional and spiritual needs.The work is intense at times and needs to be shared with others gifted in this wayin larger 250 plus churches. All are servants seeking to protect and care for the flock in different ways.