JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Your Enemy the Devil

What is it important to be aware of Satan's existence? What does this verse teach us about the devil? Why is this teaching important?

Be sober-minded [ the concept of an adversary - the devil, satan is not a joke!] The erosion of one's faith - irrespective of its age and depth - can be a 'failure to meet together' i.e. worship/fellowship with believers; or, "... all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world"; or walking 'in the counsel of the wicked,' standing 'in the way of sinners,' sitting in 'the seat of scoffers' Or, "You adulterous (i.e. double-minded, luke-warm, unstable) people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”?  But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:4–10)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One must be aware of one's enemy.

He prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

We must be aware of putting on the whole armor of God daily--so we can stand against the wiles of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  Eph 6:12

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2004 at 7:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (5:8) What is it important to be aware of Satan's existence? What does this verse teach us about the devil? Why is this teaching important?

1.  To be ignorant of an enemy is to be a "sitting duck".  Gerald R Ford, former President of the United States said while a young Lt. Commander from our navy during World War II, that  "because we were unprepared militarily for war, the enemy was emboldened to fight and fight and fight and was much harder to defeat". The enemy had a strategy and we were on the defense for much of the war. Had we been militarily strong and on the alert, the enemy may not have attacked.  

Also being aware of Satan's existence is the reason Paul taught us: "We war not with flesh and blood but with powers and principalities and kingdoms of darkness". If we're in denial about Satan's existence we fight in the flesh against people! People are often his "weapons" to blindside and attack us.. Our war is not with people! He readily uses non-believers to wage war against God and His kingdom.

2. This verse teaches us that Satan is wily, clever, invisible,  intelligent, always on the prowl seeking a victim to devour. He's never satiated and never stops. He came to steal, kill and destroy. He never sleeps and will attack us even while we sleep through dreams, physical symptoms, disturbing much needed sleep through fears.

3. Peter said Satan prowls LIKE a roaring lion....that's all he's got! He was defeated at the cross but still prowls and growls trying to intimidate and frighten. At the cross when Jesus cried IT IS FINISHED! Satan's' authority was finished and Jesus' delegated His authority to all born again believers. His blood bought back what Adam relinquished to Satan when he chose to disobey God's command. But if we're ignorant of the truth, Satan can even use believers to injure others. I learned this first hand when a deacon in our church seized with jealousy told a lie about me, and stirred up anguish for me, my family and within the church. Several months later a dear Christian friend betrayed and attacked me when I stood up for what was right and she got angry when she was opposed. This also caused great anguish for me and for the Bible study group. This is when I realized that Satan can have a "foothold" in lives not totally committed to and surrendered to the Lord! I was shocked when the Lord revealed this to me, but it's when I was able to do spiritual battle with the real enemy and though it was very difficult, to finally forgive my brother and sister in Christ, and to be on guard in my own life for any leeway I might give to Satan through ignorance or pride. (Pride was the foothold Satan used in both people who attacked me)

Q2. (5:8) 
What is it important to be aware of Satan's existence? 
What does this verse teach us about the devil? 
Why is this teaching important?

There is no need to worry about Satan, but we have to be aware of his existence, and at the same time we have to take him seriously and be alert to his evil and devious tricks. This verse teaches us that he is like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. This means that we have to be constantly vigilant and prepared to meet every attack that he might have up his sleeve. No way can we have a light-hearted attitude to his tricks and lies. Sometimes he comes like a snake, seeking to lure people into moral corruption. Sometimes he disguises himself as an angel of light, attempting to deceive people in the spiritual realm. There are many ways we can be deceived. As long as we are strong in the Lord we will be safe. We must remember a Christian has the protection of spiritual armour (Eph 6:11-18). When a Christian is fully equipped, the devil is unable to penetrate this armour. 

On 4/25/2004 at 2:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (5:8) What is it important to be aware of Satan's existence? What does this verse teach us about the devil? Why is this teaching important?

It is very important to be aware of Satan's existence because he the enemy of our soul. The verse taught us how dangerous devil is to our life. The teaching is very important because it keeps us alive and awareness of Satan devices.

On 4/25/2004 at 2:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is very important to be aware of Satan's existence because he is the enemy of our soul. The verse taught us how dangerous devil is to our life. The teaching is very important because it keeps us alive and awareness of Satan devices.

On 4/24/2004 at 10:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We need to stay alert because he can steal our present  right from under us. He can fill us worry, doubt, fears that we need not have. We have to be completely aware of his tactics and how clever he is. He knows the word inside out and will use this very deliberately to get us to fall. If we don't stay alert, we will succumb. 

Satan hates the Lord.  He sits and waits for us to stumble and then he pounces on us to have us fall by the wayside,  from the Lord.  The verse teaches us that the devil does not  like to see believers on the Lord’s side.  He is crafty and dangerous to our beliefs, our soul, our spirit.   This tells us that our faith in the Lord must be strong.

The teaching of this verse is important so as to help Christians resist the temptations coming  their way and to be strong in their faith so as not to give up when faced with persecution and suffering in the name of the Lord.

We are at battle. We must know who our enemies are, if not it is like entering a battle blindfolded. Not knowing who or what to aim at. Not knowing the enemies tactics leaves us vulnerable. We will lose the battle. We will be defeated.

This verse teaches us that the satan is very real and prowls about like a roaring lion looking whom to devour. Satan will show no mercy. He is at work wanting to destroy us.

This teaching will help us to understand how Satan works and how to prepare ourselves to face our enemy. It is not by our might but through the power of His(God's might) that we will be victorious.

On 4/25/2004 at 0:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Our battle is against spiritual powers and principalities of evil in the heavenly realms and not flesh and blood. Satan leads these evil spirits and he intends to steal, kill and destroy -- as Christians, we are in the midst of this battle and need to be prepared for battle. For us, the battle starts in our mind, through our thoughts and emotions in response to our circumstances, including words from others.

Words are powerful and can encourage or destroy. The Word of God is all powerful -- "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it pierces even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and  intentions of the heart." (Heb 4:12)

"You are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He (Christ) that is in you, than he (Satan) that is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

Without this awareness, we can be overcome by the devil through temptation and our human failures. The devil is real and searching for prey (victims) to destroy. This is  important so we are watchful/mindful that Satan and other devils are real and want nothing more than to see us fall into a sinful life devoid of our loving Jesus.

Q2. (5:8) Why is it important to be aware of Satan's existence? What does this verse teach us about the devil? Why is this teaching important?

1.  The devil is dangerous and we should not underestimate him and his angels (demons). We must realize he is real and no good.

2.  He is constantly prowling around like a roaring and mean lion looking to devour someone.

3.  We must be aware of him so that we will not be fooled by the devil.

On 4/24/2004 at 10:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Satan is real.  He is constantly on the prowl seeking those he can devour.  The devil is our enemy.  We should never underestimate our enemy.

"Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Pray anytime, anyway, where ever you are. Let the holy Spirit from Jesus makes for you and  believe HIM, Amin.

Q2. (5:8)

Q. Why is it important to be aware of Satan's existence?

A. Because he is real and dangerous as contained in Bible

Q. What does this verse teach us about the devil?

A. He is our enemy who goes around like a roaring lion seeking for someone devour

Q. Why is this teaching important?

A. It is important as it helps us not to take the devil for granted and run into his jaws. But we have the Liuon of the tribe of Judah with/in us as our refuge and shelter
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2004 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

it is important to be aware of Satan's existence because he is a dangerous entity looking for someone to devour.

This verse teaches us that the devil is dangerous.

The teaching is important because it tells us to be aware of the devil and his schemes to interfere with our relationship with Christ.

• 6 years later...

Here’s my problem. I never know when evil is of Satan, of other human beings or of myself.

One of the consequences of the fall is that people, even Christians, received evil tendencies that are sometimes expressed in word and deed. Governments, too, have been impacted by the fall – bureaucratization, incompetence and bigotry are ubiquitous because of the fall.

We don’t need Satan to do evil. WE can do evil all by ourselves. We don’t even need Satan to prompt us. So, when evil happens, it’s difficult to know where to point.

The flip side is true, too. Secular people who deny God or even hate Him can do good deeds.

As humans, we have agency. We are responsible for our deeds because we could have done differently. We can choose to do evil. We can choose to do good. Now, Satan can make doing evil more likely, but we are still responsible for what we do.

Furthermore, God is all powerful. He overrules Satan in every manner and way. In the cosmic struggle between God and Satan – good and evil – God wins. So though Satan is powerful, He is not all-powerful. Should we, then, worry?

Frankly, I worry more about the evil tendencies within me, the things I could think or do, than what Satan is implanting in my mind and circumstances. I may be wrong about this.