JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Instructions for Spiritual Warfare

On 4/25/2004 at 2:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (5:8-9) What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare? Extra credit: How are these instructions similar or different than Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17?

Peter says we should, to be self-controlled, be alert, resist devil and standing firm in faith. It is similar because Paul also asked us we should stand firm in faith.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/24/2004 at 10:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (5:8-9) What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare? Extra credit: How are these instructions similar or different than Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17?

Peter tells us to be

1. self controlled-something I am working on. I am not disciplined in many ways although I appear to be. I am not horrible but I am a work in progress. I basically need to set my mind and keep it set.
  2. alert-know the tactics of the devil. Know the Word because he uses this very cunningly to manipulate things.
  3. resistant-we must be consistent with our resistance. It is hard but God is with us so be determined to resist
  4. firm and endure suffering- we need to stand strong knowing that when we suffer we suffer for the right reasons, our faith

In Ephesians 6:10-17, Paul talks about putting on the full armor of God so that we can stand completely against the devil's schemes. It is similar to Peter is saying. When we stand firm, we are standing with the belt of truth and the other "armor" representing our faith, salvation, and God's Word.

We must have strong faith and we must pray.  We have to be strong spiritually not to succumb to the temptations of the world and the persecution by non-believers.  We have to be spiritually pure and always vigilant for Satan.  We must rely on God’s power, not our own.  He will fight our battles for us. As Psalm 62:2 says:  ‘Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.’  Our only hope of survival against Satan is the Lord.

Edited by Eilen
Spelling

Q3. (5:8-9) What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare? Extra credit: How are these instructions similar or different than Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17

Peter instructs us to be self controlled/sober minded. Disciplined. Steadfast in the faith. Not double-minded. He goes on to say to be alert, as well. Always with our guard up. Prayer is the warrior's weapon. Constant in prayer. We are told to resist the devil. Fight the devil even if your life depends on it. Face adversaries without wavering.

In Ephesians 6:10-17, Peter goes into detail on how to use the armor of God. He compares this armor to a roman soldier's armor. Though the armor instructed for us to wear sounds different, it is not. We are fighting a spiritual battle. The same areas we need protection from mentioned in Ephesians are the same in 1 Peter. We have many enemies: Battles of the mind(which is why the helmet is mentioned here), temptations, the flesh, the world, and satan himself. Each piece of armor covers those areas in our lives that need to protect if we want to be victorious. It is the Spirit of God in us who will help us defeat our foes. It will be our faith(steadfast in the faith) that will be tested. The shield mentioned here, which will not allow the darts of the enemy to penetrate us. Our faith which comes from knowing the word of God(our sword!). Resist the devil. We need the armor of God in order to be able to remain standing after coming face to face with the devil.  Praying always. Prayer keeps us alert!    

On 4/25/2004 at 0:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Be alert, self-controlled, draw on your courage to resist Satan through your faith, keep steadfast in faith, be patient, wait on God.

Paul talks of our weapons in battle - our shield of faith, helmet of salvation, sword of the spirit (Word of God), the breastplate of righteousness (through Christ). He says to gird our loins in Truth and shod our feet with preparation in God's word, with all prayer and petition in the (Holy) Spirit. This is how we are to resist the devil and his wily ways.

Be ready, be prepared, who knows the moment.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2004 at 7:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Peter tells us: Be well balanced (temperate and sober of mind), vigilant and cautious at all times, (Not fearful but watchful because Satan is always at hand watching for his next opportunity to pounce)

We are to: Withstand Satan: be firm in faith (against his onset, rooted, established, strong, immovable and determined) knowing the same sufferings are appointed to our worldwide brothers and sisters.

Paul tells us similarly in Ephesians 6:10-17: Be strong in the Lord, (empowered through your union with Him) draw your strength from Him which His boundless strength provides. Additionally, We are to put on the armor of a heavily armed soldier which God supplies that we may be able to successfully stand against all the strategies and deceits of the devil.

All of this tells us not IF we'll be attacked, but WHEN we are attacked to not be shocked or dismayed in fear, but to STAND IN THE LORDS STRENGH AND POWER WITHIN US.

(8 hours after I answered Q2 yesterday I was attacked in one of the ways I'd described in my answer: While sleeping with physical symptoms. I've had a weird summer flu for 10 days, and was worn out and weak. While I was asleep I was awakened by very painful, burning pains in my legs. When I got out of bed and stood, the pain stopped, so I tried to go back to bed. As soon as I laid down the pain started again.  I knew this was an attack and it was unsettling. I got up and prayed, bound and took authority over Satan and his minions, and praised the Lord, The attack went on for several hours, and I was deprived of most of a night's sleep. When my husband woke up around 3:00 a.m. I asked him to pray with me, which he did. The pain persisted and even got worse, from painful aching to sharp pains. I stood in the Lord's strength and was reminded I was hidden in His secret place, in His stronghold and His high tower. I pled the blood of Jesus over me from head to foot. I prayed in my prayer language for several hours, and exhausted I finally asked the Lord to fight this battle for me. He did! I was able to sleep for a few hours. It felt like an object lesson....about how Satan was prowling, and attacked when I was weakened and weary from the flu, and how persistent he is, and yet how he must yield to the superior power of our Lord and the authority of Jesus.)

Q3. (5:8-9) 
What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare? 
Extra credit: How are these instructions similar or different than Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17?

As a guide in spiritual warfare we are to be self-controlled taking a realistic approach to life, and to be intelligent concerning the evils of the devil. We must be vigilant, alert, in other words prepared to meet every attack. We are not to surrender to his tricks and lies, but to resist through prayer and God’s Word. On our own we do not have the strength to oppose him, but as we are firm in our faith, dependant on the Lord, we can resist him. There must also be a willingness to suffer. We must know our sufferings are not unique – the devil makes us believe this, hoping this will deceive us. These instructions are similar to Paul’s instructions we read in Ephesians; only Paul’s are more symbolic. For example, we are to be self-controlled is depicted as strong in the Lord and perhaps the breastplate of righteousness. Alert would be feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. Resist is the full armour. Keeping our faith would be the shield of faith, sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, and the belt of truth. Willingness to suffer could be the helmet of salvation. 

We aren’t to be fearful, but watchful because is always to take advantage of our moments of weaknesses. We are to be self-controlled, alert, resist Satan’s attacks with faith and courage while being willing to suffer because of our belief in Jesus’ perfect sacrifice.  

1 Peter and Ephesians both tell us to be strong and alert in resisting the devil, but Ephesians differs from 1 Peter because it is very precise in its directions, telling us what each piece of armor is for and how to use it.

Q3. (5:8-9) What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare? Extra credit: How are these instructions similar to or different from Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17?

1. Be sober and be vigilant. "Be self-controlled and alert. Resist the devil, stand firm in the faith.

2. They are similar because of telling us to stand which is being firm or resisting the devil. They are the different because Ephesians tells us what to wear pertaining to God (the whole armor of God) to stand against the devil and 1 Peter tells us to watch, stand firm, and resist the devil.

I think are the similar instructions between Peter and Paul, but explain from situation our life must be Detail by Paul.

Peter- "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings."

Paul- "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." (Ephesians 6:13)

Q3. (5:8-9)

Q. What instructions does Peter give us to guide us in spiritual warfare?

A. We face the devil and not to run away. Instead of running away we should be self-controlled, alert and to resist the devil standing and trusting and using the power of God to overcome him.

Q. Extra credit: How are these instructions similar to or different from Paul's instructions in Ephesians 6:10-17?

Paul acknowledges that our fight is with power
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2004 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Instructions to guide us in spiritual warfare are; self control; be alert; resist the devil; keep the faith and be willing to suffer for the faith.

In Ephesians 6:10-17, Paul calls the armor of God as; girding the loins with truth; the breastplate of righteousness; feet shod with preparation of the gospel of peace; the shield of faith; the helmet of salvation; and the sword of the spirit which is the word of the Lord.    

• 6 years later...

Comparing Peter in c5 to Paul in Ephesians c6:

Peter is describing a current, ongoing circumstance in which Satan is the main antagonist who has to be resisted both passively and actively. Peter also notes that such diabolical persecution happens to all Christians.

Paul is referring to an event that will happen in the future (when the day of evil comes ...) that must be resisted passively, not aggressively. Christians are NOT told to resist but to stand their ground and if they lose terrritory, to keep standing. Paul does not reference Satan.