JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Christian Virtues in Your Life

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The virtue that has been the easiest for me has been knowledge. The hardest has been self-control. Breaking old habits is a challenge. Some I have ended quickly and others have been a battle. However, I'm fighting the good fight.

Knowledge has been the easiest of virues for me as I truly enjoy the Word of God and gaining intimacy with Him by it.

The most difficult has been self-control, food in particular. I believe it is because I have given my life over to the Lord as a full time servant. He has delivered me from addictions, many addictions. As a result I deny things that I know are sinful to me such as sex, alcohol, cigarettes, Sunday activities that I do not consider holy, et al. That leaves me with food, for which there is a bountiful amount as my church is a registered social service agency that helps people 24/7 and the food flows in.

In answer to prayer, this question came up and convicted me. Please pray that I have the strength to get self -control in this area. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:5-6) Which of these virtues so far has been the easiest for you to move into. Which has been the hardest for you? Why?

I thank God who Has empowered and enabled me to be strong in all of these virtues. It is not easy with our own, it IS through the power of Holy Spirit.All these action do not come automatically; they require hard work. They are not optional; all of them be a continual part of the Christian life. We do not finish one and start on the next, but we work on them all together .

Let the Name of God be Praised AMEM AND AMEN..................

• 8 months later...
Q1. (2 Peter 1:5-6) Which of these virtues so far has been the easiest for you to move into. Which has been the hardest for you? Why?

This is a difficult question for me because, not withstanding the fact that there has been an element of "at my own cost," to the extent I have advanced in these areas I have seen that advancement being directly linked to what God has given me. For instance, as a former raging alcoholic, I am keenly aware that the ability I have to live soberly came when I received new birth and had my sinful nature circumcised. Because I no longer burn inwardly for alcohol and because I know first hand how contrary it is to God's purposes for me, I don't drink and it seems to me an effortless matter.

Relative to knowledge, it is true that I have studied very hard to find out what pleases the Lord and what His purposes are for me as a new creature; however, the knowledge I have received also comes directly from that Gift - for I studied often before I received the Gift and did not see the instruction in scripture that I see today.

Perhaps "goodness" has been the most difficult for me because it has taken time, through study of the scriptures, to learn good from bad - indeed I am still learning. This, combined with the fact that "the days are evil," caused some delay in my production to do good things. Nevertheless, I have seen that the Lord is faithful and has provided opportunities for me to do good in those areas where I have learned what "good" is and like a field often rained on it, I have witnessed Christ in me begin to accomplish good deeds.

Relative to perserverance, I have only been new-born for twenty months and cannot yet speak on long-term perserverance in my own life. The Lord, however, has given me everything I have needed to perservere thus far, and I will make every effort to use what He has given me to perservere to the finish, so that I may receive the promised crown of life.

• 5 months later...

I am kind to everyone, but I do need to practice more self-control as far as my anger and impatience is concerned. A lot of times I am impatient with my own self. I still meed to read more of the Word of God. I know that I would be better because from what I have already read and understood my life has truly change for the better. I am not the way I use to be. I see things clearer and I do have more control over more things than before.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (2 Peter 1:5-6)

Which of these virtues so far has been the easiest for you to move into?

Which has been the hardest for you?

Why?

Of the 5 virtues mentioned in these verses (5-6), I cannot truly single out one that has been the easiest or hardest to add to my faith. They all require a certain degree of desire, determination, and discipline on my part, and I have struggled with each one during my Christian walk. With the help of the Holy Spirit I have managed to supplement my faith with these elements of holiness, not adding these one after another, but working on all the graces all the time. I

• 1 year later...

It seems that being "gooder" or goodness is easiest to do. Being charitable, being kind, helping people, these are opportunities that come up all the time. Some kinds of knowledge are also easy, but being aware of bad habits I have had for a long time, fales values, these requre help from the Holy Spirit to see the truth and be changed this leades to self-control being difficult and perseverance, so godliness seems impossible to accomplish. I pray for the Holy Spirit to do its work in me, and do the impossible to bring me closer, and to help me absorb God's word and to obey.

I think that the virtue so far that has been easiest for me to move on to is perseverance. It has been my character to persevere in areas that I have an interest in. God has but the interest of Him in me so I can persevere in following Him.

I think that hardest virtue for me to move on with is that of self-control. I like to have somebody out there to help provide motivation for the things that I do.

• 1 year later...

1a)Perseverance has been developed in me, as lived with ongoing health challenges, and as a consequence of depending on the Lord each day, it’s developed in an easy costly way.

b)Hardest maybe godliness as very aware often don’t pray as earnestly or often as I should for the poor, &those that persecute me.I’m tested and blessed most days, and through God’s grace growing with his help.

• 6 months later...

Of these virtues the easiest for me has been adding knowledge to my faith.  I love to learn and its easy to fall in love with studying God's Word. 

The hardest for me has been self-control.  Primarily self-indulgence.  The good news is I have come along way through the years regarding self-control.  I have more self-control in my life than I ever have had before.  Self-control is freeing.  Anything that reigns over you makes you a slave.  So, I am praising God that through the help of the Holy Spirit and a commitment on my part I have moved from caving in to any taste to exercising self-control to eliminate unholy behavior.

• 4 months later...

Which of these virtues so far has been the easiest for you to move into. KNOWLEDGE

Which has been the hardest for you? TEMPERANCE

Why? I love to learn; I especially love to learn about God.  I can do it alone with no interruptions.  Temperance, however, always show up with an opponent; usually one I do not respect.  It is here, I need to remember to restrain, grow, and rise on up the latter.. 

• 1 year later...

Praise the Lord !!

While I am depending on the Lord to excel in every of this quality, right  now knowledge and perseverance is easy for me, goodness I am managing by Gods grace, but the tough one is self control and I am just clinging on to the Lord for victory over this area of my life.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2004 at 0:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Of the four virtues stated the easiest for me to move into is goodness and the hardest is self-control.  I battle with procrastination.  Lord help!

• 11 months later...

For me the easiest one is knowledge since I spend so much time in God's word and memorize it. I also know it is because the Holy Spirit leads me to read the devotions and Scriptures but I need to dig deeper. The harder one for me is self-control. I know I have trouble with it because I overspend and overeat a lot. 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Christian Virtues in Your Life