JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. A Disciplined Devotional Life

Why is a disciplined devotional life important, It keeps me in touch with the Lord. What happens when I forget or no time, I begin to drift away. What Christian disciplines do I employ, Studing the Bible through Pastor Wilsons Studys, prayer, and talking with my husband about the word.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A disciplined devotional life key word is DISCIPLINED..

As a Christian it is so easy to get wrap up in the busyness of life.

Even the good things like Family, Church , doing for others can keep us so activite that we may forget to stop and be STILL and KNOW that He is God.

How important not only that we spend time as believers in songs and praise with fellow Christians in our church family settings

but that we need to spend time alone with God.. and learning to wait upon him.

This is one of the hardest thing for me... but i am learning and by His grace IHe will see me thur.

:D Fasting has opened my eyes up and empowered me with the Holy spirit, as I stated in my last post more in deapth. When I don't make time to read the word, pray, I find the first thing I lose is my ability to hear and discern what God may be telling me. The simple little things that, had I been paying attention, I could have avoided this (insert situation). Usually, I can recall the passing thought that, had I been on my game, I would have heeded. All these little things add up over time, to make life richer, easier, more focused, or the opposite if I'm not doing my part. So when the little things start slipping, that's my cue to see where I am lacking, and fix the situation. I don't ever want to get far off again. There's pain in them there hills! :P

About the only thing I feel I can add is that I have recently found journaling to be an excellent tool in my devotional and prayer time. I don't keep it "religiously;" somedays I use it, others I don't. I copy quotations from books I have on the go, or Scripture verses that have struck me that day, or I think I would like to remember. Sometimes I end up writing out my prayers, and I find this helps keep me focused.

I ALWAYS try to keep myself in a STUDY, whether in a group or on my own -- I find I am better fed when I really dig into God's word.

I also am an avid reader and so have one or two Christian books to read. The great thing about feeding on God's word is that you can never get too full -- just satisfied!

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you? What happens when you forget or don't have time? What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?

Devotional life is very important to me.I dont always have a set time in the day,or in the evening.When I forget or dont take time my day does not go to well.Believe this or not but when that happens I usually start talking to God.Yesterday I had an unusual uneasy feeling,so I spent most of the morning praying in the spirit.I soon started feeling better.I have many diffrent times I spend in devotion.When I dont take that time I find myself not as close to God as I want to be.I have to talk to God and spend time with Him in order to have a relationship with Him. Its just like you are talking to a person.If you dont talk to them or spend time with them,how will you get to know them?This may sound unusual but I talk to God all during the day,just as if He was another person standing right with me.

I also like to use music to open my spirit to God's Spirit.To enter into a more deep presence.I use quiet music that sings scripture,to where God's word is flowing through me.There are times I like to sit on my back porch and listen to the birds and watch the butterflies flutter all around.Watch the little squirrls running up the trees.Listen to the wind blowing through the trees as the leaves give off a quiet sound of their own music..This brings me close to God.~~Blessings Linda

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you? What happens when you forget or don't have time? What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?

2 Pe 1:6 "...and to 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;..."

A disciplined devotional life is COMPLETELY ESSENTIAL to cultivating a Christ-like life. An increase in "time with God" develops more intensity in all spritual disciplines. "goodness,knowledge, self-control; perseverance, godliness;..." as mentioned in 2 Peter will become defining characteristics of my life as I discipline myself to spend time with God.

Opening up my spirit to God's Spirit requires a "holy atmosphere" in my life. God and the things of God cannot coexist with sin. Therefore, confession of my sin helps to open up my spirit and to "hear from God." (This with the understanding that ALL of my past present and future sin has been forgiven at the point of my salvation. ) "Active" sin in my life blocks me from hearing God, and confessing this sin clears mymind and opens my spirit to God's Spirit.

Prayer is also essentail to maintaining and open relationship with God--constant communication in necessare in any close relationship! Cultivating a Christlike heart and life will keep me from sin and keep me opened to God's Spirit as well.

After being married only 9 months, my priorities and schedule has been rearranged dramatically. If you read this, please pray for me that I can discipline myself and make my time with God a high priority again as it once was....Quality time AND Quantity time!

Thank you,

Christina Ingraham

Christina

A disciplined devotional life is important to me because talking to God on a daily basis gives me a feeling of contentment and brings me closer to God. When I stray away from daily prayer I sometimes feel lost and lonely.

Want to see and be in Paradise, want everlasting life. Want to live without suffering.

I feel very awful. I immediately ask for forgiveness.

I do my daily reading of the scriptures, pray, help my brothers and sisters and continue to spread the word.

I have been reading the bible daily for the past two years. If I miss an evening, I feel really awful. I am addicted to Scripture. This is one addiction I can feel good about. I pray before I read however, I need to pray harder and meditate more before and after reading. I need God to break the soil of my heart so His word can permeate my mind, body, soul and spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for being a day late on submitting this post. My pc went down yesterday, and a just, a little while ago, got the OS reinstalled and optimized.

Having a disciplined devotional life keeps me on Gods' path. When I forget or don't have time for daily devotions, then what ever I was doing comes to naught & I end up wallowing in self over the time wasted, and have a hard time getting back on track with God. For my spirit to fully open up to God, I need to obey Him in every aspect of life!

• 2 weeks later...

Disciplined devotional life is very important to me beause as I was born in sin I know I am imperfect even though I live righteously but I want to please God and be able to live in Paradise. Want to be complete and whole as God requires and to gain accurate knowledge.

I have not been too busy in all my life whether I had doubts or not to read the Scriptures. My discipline is not to be stubborn and head strong. I use what I read and study in my everyday life as much as possible.

Just as our physical bodies need food and water in order to survive, so does our spirits need to feast upon ' the bread of life',the bible,in order to remain healthy and strong. Once we forget or don't bother to set aside time to have devotions, it becomes easier and easier to put it off or come up with excuses.

Since I'm not what you would call a morning person, I try to have my devotional time as soon as I come home from work in the evening. Of course, I'm not always successful in this. I get involved with going thru the day's mail or checking my e-mail messages. Sometimes it's just trivia stuff that commands my attention. Before I know it, it's time for bed. I'm trying hard to make a daily devotional time a top priority in my life, even if it means giving up another activity.

As previously mentioned in question 1, I'm not disciplined when it comes to devotions and studying the word (I'm craving your prayers to help me to be more disciplined and devoted to this),inspite of this, I believe this aspect of a christian's life is of extreme importance,as this is where we will find our guidelines for living, this is where we will prepare ourselves to hear from God, this is where will will develop our relationship with Him. When I do have quiet time, i often feel revitalised, I shared with members of my choir recently, some people believed, some didn't, and a few said that they have experienced it before, I told them that sometimes when i'm really tuned in to God, I can literally feel His presence, and I can feel Him holding me. Sometimes I may be talking to Him and I feel a tingle running through my body, It feels great, i can't really explain it, than say it feels good, at other times, i may say "Lord please hug me" and I would then hug myself and I would feel that tingle again, as if He's really hugging me, it's great. After moments like that with God, it's as if I'm on cloud 9, my spirit is really lifted and i feel closer, i feel real intimate with Him, and i would like to feel that evryday, but I'm just not disciplined enough.

When i don't make time for God or I forget, then I don't know, it's just not the same, I feel different. Yes, I still feel close to Him, but not as close, I may still talk to Him at varying points throughtout the day, it's just not the same,as really tunning in, singing praises, reading and just conversing with Him. God is wonderful and i take comfort sometimes in the fact, that even when i forget God, he never forgets about me and He's always with me.

The disciplines I employ, is singing, praying and just opening up to God, I perpare myself to recieve a blessing. I ask God for what I want, He said, ask and we shall recieve. I cry, and ask Him to take over. When I'm really tuned in, the tears just flow naturally , and that's when feel really close to God.

• 3 weeks later...

WELL I CAN SEE THE GROUP GROWING

AND IS CONFORTING BECAUSE THIS TELLS ME

THAT I AM GROWING WITH THE GROUP.

DISCIPLINE HAS NOT COME EASY FOR ME

BUT WITH THE HELP OF LOTS OF GOOD PEOPLE

IN MY LIFE, THAT HAVE SHARE THE WORD AND

THE MESSAGE TRUE LOTS OF SELF SEARCHING,

CONFESING AND REPENTING, MAKING AMENDS

AND SURRENDERING TO GOD'S WILL MY LIFE

HAS CHANGE.

LOVE TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING AND SAY

GOOD MORNING GOD, PLEASE DIRECT MY

THINKING SPECIALLY TO BE DIVORCE FROM

SELF-PITY, DISHONESTY AND INMORALITY.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT I CAN SHARE WITH OTHER

PEOPLE MY INNERMOST FEELINGS, SOME TIMES

TO HELP OTHERS, SOME TIMES TO HELP MYSELF

I NEED TO ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT GOD IS EVERYTHING

WITH HIM I CAN DO ALL THINGS AND WITHOUT HIM

I AM NOTHING.

I HAVE TRYED TO PUT GOD IN THE SECOND PLACE OR

TOTALLY NOT BRING HIM INTO THE PICTURE AND THE

RESULTS WERE HORRIBLE, SO I DO NOT DARE TO DO

THIS ANY MORE.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you?

We need discipline in all areas of our life, and a disciplined devotional life is no exception. Without a certain amount of discipline in my devotional life I would stray and lose my focus.

What happens when you forget or don't have time?

When that happens that

• 8 months later...

Like many, I find maintaining a disciplined devotional life difficult to sustain. Mine seems to be a pattern of starts and stops, with lulls of varying lengths between. I keep picking it back up though, because I don't like the way my life becomes so hectic and almost unmanagable when I am not pursuing my devotions. Financially, relationally, emotionally, I am much more comfortable when I structure time into my life for pursuing God. I hav used, am using (or will at some future point, I'm sure) virtually EVERY "Christian" discipline known. Small group Bible study and fellowship, personal Bible reading, Biblically based marital improvement studies, the internet method....you name it, I've tried it at least once. I have found that topical studys which focus on an uncovered flaw in character or lingering struggle with a particular sin are particularly effective. The one thing I find VERY difficult to do is to schedule quiet time alone before God, to just pray and experience Him. Probably one of the top things I SHOULD be doing, but life's demands too easily intrude on this one. Even when I'm "alone" at home, there are distraction, be they external (dog, cat, noises from the nieghborhood, phone...whatever) or internal( my "honey-do-list", my tendency to "drift' in thought when just trying to experience and communicate with God) which pull me away from being quiet before Him.

Devotion is very important because in here you will meet God face to face. It is in devotion where you will grow intimately in Him. How can we know God better if we don't have time for Him.

My discipline is that i wake up early, go to my office around 6am. No one is in the office by this time there i do my devotion: praying, reading his word, read some books that will help me know his word better. If not in the office I go to a nearby coffee shop and there I do my devotion, i always keep a journal and take note of the scripture that i read or the scripture that impacts me and as i study it in context i write the lesson i learned from that specific text or verse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A disciplined devotional life is important to me because if I did not discipline myself, I probably would not remember to remember I was a Christian and do the things a Christian would to and say.

If I forget, which I try not to do, I am the loser and lose out on what Christ has for me. I don't find myself not taking time. That is most important to me.

Self Control, self discipline, patience, godliness, genuine love.

• 8 months later...

A disciplined devotional life is important to me for consistency in my relationship with God, in order to have a well-rounded relationship, not one that goes to him only when I'm in need. I do this by reading his word, taking these bible study courses, praying and talking with Him, and I really enjoy songs of worship.

• 4 weeks later...

A disciplined devotional life is important to me in order that I stay focused on Jesus, in God's word and communicating with God in order to prevent drifting from my faith. When you forget or don't have time for a devotional life you don't grow spiritually, don't have a vigorous connection with God and you are likely to drift from your faith.

I stay focused in prayer, Bible study and service daily in order to stay disciplined in my faith.