JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. A Disciplined Devotional Life

I have developed a healthy fear of the Lord. I believe that He takes my vows seriously and therefore I am committed to seeing them through. One such vow is my commitment to devotion time with Him. As such I have becomed disciplined over the years to not forget and to always make time, no matter the hour. As a disciple, God is first and the Holy Spirit keeps me tune in to the fact that my life is hid with Him. I am His, bought and paid for on the cross. What He says I do.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you? What happens when you forget or don't have time? What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?

A displined devotional life is important to me because this will help me to have time with my God even if Am alone. Some people tend to remain loyal to God as long as they are near those who are devoted to Him. But when they are on their own, the pressure to be drawn away from God increases.

• 8 months later...
Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you? What happens when you forget or don't have time? What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?

1) My devotional life is important to me because I want to keep what I have attained in Him and press on to acquire even more. I have happiness and peace in His will, and this is the most valuable of all things to me. The bible is filled with warnings concerning satan, who is subtle and cunning, and seeks to steal and destroy what I have. Therefore, I live a disciplined life, like a good soldier in training, in order to be able to serve my Master effectively.

2) In the twenty months since I received His Spirit, twice I failed to study His word for a full day and part of a second day, and both times I noticed a lack of peace and joy. I was irritated and asked myself why. I realized each time that I did not have Him in the forefront of my thoughts. I don't remember if I commited sin during these times, but I am sure that noone would have asked me to explain the reason for the hope in me - because they would not have seen it.

3) When I am not working, I am studying the scriptures. When I am working, I am listening to the scriptures on my ipod (I am a house painter and have the advantage of being able to perform my job with headphones). I have learned, however, that His Spirit reveals God to me in the scriptures more often and more powerfully when my physical person is tired. So, I fast often and make sure that I am always working until bedtime. I don't watch t.v. or otherwise permit my mind to be amused because I want to make sure that I obtain my refreshment and renewal from God. I find myself looking forward to the next time my mind and body cry uncle because I know a revelation is coming. Also, I pray. However, I have noticed that it seems the only time I pray in the Spirit is when I just don't feel like praying because I am "burned out"; more often than not, I pray merely with my mind. When I pray in the Spirit, however, it is God who is really doing the praying and I have noticed that these are the prayers that are bold, specific and always come true. So in essence, when I pray in the Spirit I am being told of the future. So, it is true that I study and pray, but it is fasting that makes these disciplines fruitful.

• 5 months later...

A disciplined devotional life is important to me because it keeps me close to God, and it keeps me informed of what God wants from me. You lose your close relationship with the Father. I try not to get too caught up in what I am doing. I ask God to show me when I am getting beside myself or if I am getting the big head. I do sometimes start to procrastinate and I pray to get back on track.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6)

Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you?

What happens when you forget or don't have time?

What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?

I have found that if I

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

2a)I love being in my Father’s presence,knowing he is with me,in good times&bad,receiving his comfort&peace.Spiritual growth needs regular feeding on the wordIt is important for me to have a routine to seek read bible so much a day whatever happens, otherwise my spirit becomes weak &helpless as operate in own strength& the messages of the world&self-doubt push out God’s ways&word in my mind&heart.

B)When I forget, I pray,say sorry, I love you God & receive his peace&seek God through meditating on his word again with help of HS.

C)BibleStudy in gps encourages deeper exploration of Word&applying it to daily life, we spur each other to go deeper in our knowledge of God.Repitition helps disciplineAt beginning of each individual devotions,askHs to open my mind to receive from God.Brief prayer to repent in prayer of things done, said that shouldn’t have done, &for the things I omitted that I should have said or done, seek his forgiveness and ask for him to teach &lead me in steps I should take.as I follow bible daily reading plan.

• 6 months later...

A disciplined devotional life is important to me because it helps me maintain a relationship and sensitivity to God on a daily basis.  It helps maintain an awareness of God and my spiritual life.  It keeps me close to God and the things of God.

I make it a point not to forget and to have time for my Bible study, devotional, and prayer times.  When this doesn't happen I become distant from God and the feeling of distance is keen and apparent to me.

I employ self-control in keeping my set times with God.  Most importantly I love time spending in prayer and Bible study.  I love spending time with God. 

• 4 months later...

Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you?     IT IS MY FOUNDATION TO THE DAY.

What happens when you forget or don't have time? ...

I FIND MYSELF ATTEMPTING TO PATCH IT IN THROUGHOUT THE DAY.

What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit?  

MY RESPONSE ARE GIVEN IN A BIBLICAL DEFAULT FOUNDATION.  While I don't necessarily invoke the Bible itself, the Words are generally derived from the bible.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2 Peter 1:6) Why is a disciplined devotional life important to you? What happens when you forget or don't have time? What Christian disciplines do you employ to help you open your spirit to God's Spirit​

Disciplined devotional life is important to me to have consistency in my seeking God, to have a healthy ongoing relationship with my savior and for me to be away from all the evil schemes of the enemy and the worldly pleasures. 

When I forget to be consistent in my devotional life its easy to get tempted into sin.   I do not get direction from God for my daily life and also when I am away from Gods presence, I do not enjoy the abundant life of joy God has in store for me.

Daily prayer life, meditating on Gods word, fellowshipping with believers. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2004 at 0:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

A disciplined devotional life is important because it brings maturity.  When I forget or don't have time I sense that something is missing. To open my spirit to God's Spirit I shut in to worship and praise of the Trinue God.

• 11 months later...

For me a disciplined devotional life is key to connecting with God daily. That means learning to connect with Him on a daily basis and knowing that He is Good and all powerful. That means following what the Word of God tells me no matter what. 

When I forget or don't have time I start doing things I regret later and then feel awful about it. 

Prayer

Meditation

Study

Submission 

Solitude 

Confession 

Guidance 

Worship