JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

It is an example of obedience to God's revealed commands in the law. So we should follow their example by faithfully following God's commands as given in the Bible. They were also acknowledging God as the one who had given them the gift of their son, and that their son in fact belonged to God. It is also an example of Godly parenting, they were taking on the responsibility of raising their son up in the Lord. Parents can follow their example by consciously dedicating themselves and their children to the service of the Lord.

:rolleyes: Mary and Joseph had faith in God and in the traditions of their Jewish beliefs. Even though they didn't see the results of their beliefs they knew God honored them. I, too, must step out in faith and do what God requires of His children. I don't always see the results but I walk in faith and do as He says.

• 1 month later...

Joseph and Mary were doing what was required of them in presenting the young Jesus for circumcision. We sometimes in this day and age tend to forget that there are things written within the law that we should also desire to do. Jesus himself said that we he had not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. I'm not suggesting that we should live under the law, but as we are in Christ, we should live life that does not offend that which the Lord came to establish and fulfill. Amazingly, although my eldest son was born before I was a Chr :D istian, I remember in my absolute joy, :D offering him to God for his service.

I agree with all the answers that have been provided, I think that they were following God's commandment, and also I think that they were bringing Jesus to the temple also as a way of respecting God and acknowledging that Jesus was the Son of God and maybe they didn't know at that time that in the coming future Jesus Christ will say about Himself this temple will be destroy and rebuild in 3 days. I think that Jesus is the new true temple where all the believers should come in prayer and adoration.

I agree with all the answers that have been provided, I think that they were following God's commandment, and also I think that they were bringing Jesus to the temple also as a way of respecting God and acknowledging that Jesus was the Son of God and maybe they didn't know at that time that in the coming future Jesus Christ will say about Himself this temple will be destroy and rebuild in 3 days. I think that Jesus is the new true temple where all the believers should come in prayer and adoration.

Hi There, I have recently joined the Joyful Heart Bible Studies and I am encouraged to see someone as yourself making regular contributions to the forums. Though I only began the study with the onset of the Gideon project I was looking back at the previous study and answers. The only issue I would like to offer you advice on is from one of your statements for question 1. I think that Jesus is the new true temple where all the believers should come in prayer and adoration.

Jesus is our High Priest after the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 5:10; 6:20) We the 'Church' are the New 'Earthly ' Temple (1 Corinthians 6:19; 2 Corinthians 6:16) This is not to be confused with God's Heavenly Temple mentioned in Revelation11:19.

Hope this helps.

Every Blessing

Mike D

I think that Jesus is the new true temple where all the believers should come in prayer and adoration.

When I wrote that what I meant is that Jesus is the head of the Church, I see Him as the temple where one day all of the believers will come to inhabit inside (The New Jerusalem), I understand the reference in Revelation about the 3rd Temple and the Spiritual temple, I think that maybe I should rewrite my thoughts. Thanks for your input in fixing my mistake. I hope that we canexchange more ideas as the sudy continues. May God richly bless you.

1. In what ways do Mary's and Joseph's consecration of Jesus set an example for us?

Joseph and Mary, in obedience to God's law took Jesus to the Temple for His consecration. In Judaism today this ceremony is known as 'Barmitzvah'. Generally attended when the boy is twelve years old and when he is acknowledged as being responsible for his own actions. I believe as Christian parents we should take to heart the wisdom of Solomon: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" (Proverbs 22:6) However, for anyone who has attended the dedication and acceptance of a new infant into the family of God at their church, you may recall, we are all called upon to accept responsibility for the newest addition to the family of God. Above all, as Christian peers, we must lead by example.

• 10 months later...

The obedience and belief of parents.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 11/30/2002 at 10:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. In what ways do Mary's and Joseph's consecration of Jesus set an example for us?

They did not fornicate and Joseph when he knew Mary was pregnant he kept the matter private.  Jesus Christ was circumcised on the eighth day after His birth according to God’s laws.  They were Holy people following God’s laws and Mary found favor from God to be the mother of the Son of God.  They set an example for us to follow as Christians, be Holy.

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2003 at 6:15 PM, Mike Dickinson said:

Joseph and Mary, in obedience to God's law took Jesus to the Temple for His consecration. In Judaism today this ceremony is known as 'Barmitzvah'. Generally attended when the boy is twelve years old and when he is acknowledged as being responsible for his own actions. I believe as Christian parents we should take to heart the wisdom of Solomon: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" (Proverbs 22:6) However, for anyone who has attended the dedication and acceptance of a new infant into the family of God at their church, you may recall, we are all called upon to accept responsibility for the newest addition to the family of God. Above all, as Christian peers, we must lead by example.

This is in regard to the 8th day dedication/circumcision, not when he was 12 years old. Did I misunderstand or did you?

On 1/10/2003 at 6:22 PM, Ron Armour said:

Joseph and Mary were doing what was required of them in presenting the young Jesus for circumcision. We sometimes in this day and age tend to forget that there are things written within the law that we should also desire to do. Jesus himself said that we he had not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. I'm not suggesting that we should live under the law, but as we are in Christ, we should live life that does not offend that which the Lord came to establish and fulfill. Amazingly, although my eldest son was born before I was a Chr :D istian, I remember in my absolute joy, :D offering him to God for his service.

My sister is currently struggling with the tension of following God's law in obedience and living under the law. She knows salvation is through Jesus alone but is drawn to the Hebrew roots movement and says it is for wanting to please God that she wants to obey. Of course, who can argue with that, but they seem to be a bit more restrictive with things like Sabboth practices. It is such a slippery slope.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:56 PM, Paul Irving said:

They did not fornicate and Joseph when he knew Mary was pregnant he kept the matter private.  Jesus Christ was circumcised on the eighth day after His birth according to God’s laws.  They were Holy people following God’s laws and Mary found favor from God to be the mother of the Son of God.  They set an example for us to follow as Christians, be Holy.

Can you elaborate on why you led into the conversation with, "They did not fornicate". Why do you think that has anything to do with the dedication at the temple on the 8th day?

On 11/29/2009 at 2:39 PM, Marloes said:

Meaning we all have to raise our children to christians from their very first day.

You know that Joseph and Mary were going to raise their child, Jesus, as a Jew, right? They went to the temple on the 8th day for the circumcision and dedication which was commanded of the Jewish people in the book of Genesis 17:9-14,"And God said to Abraham, “As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your offspring after you throughout their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised. Every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring, 13 both he who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money, shall surely be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant. 14 Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant.”

On 12/3/2002 at 5:41 AM, Darleen Nelson said:

:rolleyes: Mary and Joseph had faith in God and in the traditions of their Jewish beliefs. Even though they didn't see the results of their beliefs they knew God honored them. I, too, must step out in faith and do what God requires of His children. I don't always see the results but I walk in faith and do as He says.

I think Mary saw the fruit of her obedience and belief. She was there at the cross, she must have been there with the disciple after the resurrection too. She had the promises and predictions of Simeon and Anna and the Angel.