JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Gideon's and His Father's Faith

We must choose to serve our heavenly father!

But, looking at this and applying it to here and now.......

The position that Gideon was in could be difficult, because as a result it looks disrespectful to the world. Particularly if your earthly father is not christian. Although, as a result of it his father was forced to make a decision to serve the one and only God!!

What a lesson to apply to my life. Allow others to know by my actions not by my words the God I serve.

Fear of rejection is that what holds us back? 2 kings 6:16 says "Don't be afraid. The army that fights for us is larger than then the one against us."

Thank you Jesus! I ask you now to help me overcome my fear of rejection. Thank you now for your intervention. You are the one and only God. The God that is much larger then the one against us. Halleluiah!!! Thank you Jesus, Amen.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point?

Gideon's father, Joash has been a leader for the people, and his family. Joash was a man between two gods.

How does Gideon's action affect his father?

Gideons action causes his father to make a decision between which god Joash wants to serve.

Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father?

At the time that Gideon was deciding whether to obey or disobey God, Joash was not mentioned as to how to make the decision.

How should this have affected Gideon's action?

The decision that Joash made and the making fun of Baal, proves that the action that Gideon made had an everlasting effect on Gideon.

In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

Joash stood up to Baal and followed Yahweh because of what Gideon did in obeying God.

Gideon's father, Joash, has been a community leader up to this point. Gideon's action brought his father to the community's attention and was forcing him to choose between his son and idolatry. Gideon should not have considered the impact on his father because the command came straight from God. This should not and did not affect Gideon's action because he did as the Lord asked. Joash was a follower of Yahweh now because defended his son and dared the community to action in rebellion for Baal.

• 4 months later...

Q4. What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? (6:25b)

Joash was a wealthy man, but did not worship the true God.

How does Gideon's action affect his father? (6:30-31)

The men of the town insisted that he hand his son over to be killed for destroying the alter to Baal.

Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action?

I

What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? (6:25b) How does Gideon's action affect his father? (6:30-31) Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

i think that Joash was a undecisive man who tried to keep everyone happy by keeping his feet in both camps but not committing himself to either 100%. i feel he was a weak leader. he knew the rules but was swayed by society rather than his love for God.

gideon's action acts like a wake up call to him and he realises that if his son could stand up to the people he could too. gideon chose and his choice helped his father to choose.

i dont think that how his father would be impacted had any bearing on his decision. he had to obey God. when i decided to follow Christ i did not consider how it would affect my family (parents and siblings), when i had to change churches i was worried about the trouble i would get into and the arguments but i still did it as it was what God wanted me to do.

Joash now uncompromisingly takes the side of Gideon and Yahweh. He has taken his stand. he has spoken publicly and there is no going back

Joash has been more follower than leader, going along with the crowd in the worship of Baal and Ashtera.

Gideon's action in pulling down the idols and preparing a sacrifice to the living God, seems to bring out

Joash's pride in his son, his forefathers and their faith in God. Gideon seems to awaken something in his father. Dad ow has to make a choice, and courageously he make the right one.

No doubt Gideon did consider the impact on his father. As his father's son he must certainly be aware of his father's ways of thinking. Gideon could hardly avoid considering how his father might react, the possibilities of family rows etc. He was certainly right in his father's territory. This would have affected Gideon's action in that it made him more highly aware of what he was doing. However he still was not submitting to evil, even though his father had.

Joash was pushed into a corner, and we very often are when God is pursuing us! Corners are used very effectively by our Father to turn us around- and that's what this corner did for Joash. He is now a disciple of the Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

Up to this point Joash had lived a compromising life. The idols were built on his land because he agreed and allowed it, in violation of God's command that His people not get involved with heathens. As a leader he has gone back and forth between Baal and the one true and living God. He hasn't stood up for the LORD and has allowed sin to happen on his watch and in his camp. In fact, he has been a part of it.

Gideon's act literally changes Joash's life, causing him to stand and make a decision -- God or Baal. The rubber met the road, and Joash wisely chooses God.

I don't think Gideon could afford to consider how what he did would impact his father unless he thought of the wonderful possibility that God would save his father. Gideon had to do what God told him to do, father in agreement or not.

Once Joash denouces Baal and speaks up for God, he moves to God's side. He's in it with Gideon and God must now take care of both of them. Joash is also walking by faith.

• 2 weeks later...
What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? (6:25b) How does Gideon's action affect his father? (6:30-31) Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

See Exposition.

<_< Joash was not a true leader of God because he was not worshipping God, he needed to go back to God. He was an influence for his family not to obey God.

Gideon did not need to consider the impact it would have on his father. God had told him to destroy the altar of Baal and Asherah; he needed to obey. Considering the impact was not exactly wrong but allowing doubt to overcome over Gideon's decision would have made him disobedient to God. He could have considered the impact on his father and known that God could deliver the entire family from the hands of the Medianites.

Joash became a true follower of God only when he started to worship God; defending his son does not nescessarily make him a worshipper of God.

• 2 months later...

Joash was moving between God and baal not sure who to go with.He new that God wasnt protecting them from the midian and either was baal.What Gideon done to his fathers idol was obedient to God and therefore only the right outcome was going to happen.IT made his father choose and opened his eyes to the real God.

• 4 months later...

What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this

point? (6:25b)

Joash has been a compromising leader up to this point. He compromised by first disobeying God and by allow the people to disobey God by worshipping false gods.

How does Gideon's action affect his father? (6:30-

31)

It affects in a positive way. It allowed not only to stand up for Gideon but for the Lord, through Gideon's action he now realised that he should be worshipping Yaweh and not false gods.

Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father?

Yes, to some extent he should have. But, at the same time when God requests something we should know to do it no matter what the consequences. Once we have a discerning spirit and know that it is the Lord asking something of us, then all we should think of is carrying out his will.

How should this have affected Gideon's action?

The impact on his earthly father should not have affected his actions. His heavenly Father would have had it all worked out according to His plan.

In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

He has not only declared it, and will now start to live for God again.

`

• 5 months later...

Joash has been pretty passive up until now, seemingly allowing the people to do pretty much whatever they wanted. Gideon's action affect his father as the altars were on his land and the people now want to kill his son for tearing down the altar. I think Gideon may have considered the impact it would have on his father when he decided to try and keep it a secret that he did the tearing down. In spite of his consideration of his father he must obey the Lord. Joash takes a stand and allows the people to see how powerless Baal and Asteroth really were, he knew the power and reality of Yahweh.

• 2 years later...

Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? How does Gideon's action affect his father? Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38) In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

Gideon's father has not been a good leader because he has deviated from the Torah in direct rebellion to God. He has lead his family in a direction away from the God of Israel. In fact, he has aided in the community being lead away from God.

Gideon's actions force Joash to decide where he stands -- for or against the God of Israel.

In serving God, His direction comes before any other consideration. That is one major problem with Christians today, they put other considerations before God and are effect Christians. In fact, they are disobedient.

Yes, you could say that Joash wakes up, like Gideon. Joash stands up for Gideon, challenges Baal as a real god, and stands up against the Baal worshippping community at large. Joash makes a stand for his son and Yahweh.

• 1 month later...
Gideons Father Joash,was not a very strong leader, But after he was confronted by the people of the Town, accusing his Son Gideon of Tearing down his Altar to baal then taking the second bull and burning it whole as an offering using for firewood, the symbol of Asherah. they said to Joash bring your son here so we can kill him.Joash became strong and stood by his son, he said let Baal defend himself. It is his Altar that was pulled down.

• 1 month later...
Q5. (Judges 6:25-31) What kind of leader has Gideon's father Joash been up to this point? How does Gideon's action affect his father? Shouldn't Gideon have considered the impact on his father? How should this have affected Gideon's action? (See Matthew 10:34-38) In what sense is Joash a follower of Yahweh now?

I don't believe Joash, Gideon's father was a very strong leader. He didn't stay true to God and instead seemed to go with the crowd in worshipping idols.

Gideon's action affected his father because it made him choose between God and upholding Gideon's actions and the people serving the idols. Gideon's actions put his father on God's side.

I don't believe Gideon should have considered the impact on his father. The impact on his father should not change his actions. He was following God's direction. We are to put God first in our lives.

Joash is a follower of Yahweh now because he upheld Gideon and the tearing down of the idols.

• 3 weeks later...

It would seem to me that Joash wasn't being a leader at all. By building idols he was actually being led into sin by the desires of the flesh and the prevailing mentality of Israel.

Gideon displays remarkable courage in going against his father and the tide. I believe that the son would always consider the father, especially when he is doing something counter to his father's will. Gideon simply had his priorites in order by obeying God rather than man. The beauty of this all is that Yahweh knew Giseon's father as he knew Gideon and the outcome was that Joash defended his son and dared the idol Baal to defend itself which it could never do because it is false.

He was a leader of Baal. He was following Baal. He was doing what seemed to be right in the sight of men at that time. But after his son Gideon pulled down his alters to Baal and cut the Asherah poles, he noticed the change in his son and new that The Spirit of The Lord was with his son, that is why he did not try to question Gideon on the action he did.

• 2 months later...
Gideon's father Joash, up until this point, has been a leader who didn't want to 'make waves', he'd go along with the majority and so it was easier to allow the rest of his tribe to worship Baal than it was to contest them. Joash would have perceived Gideon as somewhat of a weakling too, if he thought otherwise then Gideon would not have gained his perception of himself. Gideon's actions spurred Joash into finally doing what was right in the eyes of God. As Joash openly defended Gideon when the rest of the tribe saw what he'd done, it would have encouraged Gideon and further strengthened his resolve to rely on God. Joash is now a follower of Yahweh because he applauded the destruction of Baal's altar and the consecration of God's altar that was erected on the remains.

Joash has been wishy-washy in his leadership even allowing Baal and Asherah worship on his own property so that the Midianites wouldn't harm them. Fearing the Midianites wrath above Yaweah and placing worldly values above the truth. Gideans action forces Joash to decide once and for all who he would rather serve and proclaim his faith. Gideon did the right thing by serving God above everyone including his own father.

I don't know a lot about Joash but since he allowed the Baal altar and Asherah pole, he obviously was straying from the truth. Gideon's actions forced Joash to choose. Was he for the angry people and false gods? Or, was he going to take a stand with Gideon and the true God. I think Gideon had considered to a point the impact this would make for his father as well as his whole family, but not to the point of disobeying God. Gideon did what he was asked to do in faith and though I do believe he tried to do that safely he never faltered in being obedient. What a witness that must have been for his father!! To see the courage and obedience and trust in God. To outwardly show he KNEW who the one true God was! That was a pretty bold statement for everyone to see and especially to know how much he risked doing it! Joash in turn, became bold also and admonishes the people on what is true and what is not! He shows them also that Baal was EASILY defeated! "Let him come fight for himself." he says. Then he seals it and says they'll all die if they choose Baal. Seems he was helped to find a renewed faith and boldness for God through his son's courage and faith. We can help each other in that too.

Joash seems to have been noncommital to any particular stance. An early practicer of pluralism. Any god will do just so long as he gives me what I ask for. His devotion to Gideon is stronger than his devotion to God. In order to save his son, he is forced to take a stance. Joash stood up in defense of his son's actions, not for his belief in the one true God. There was no need for Gideon to stop and ponder what impact this act might have on his father. He was certain that it was God who had instructed him to tear down the altars, and even if that had lead to his own death or his father's death, he knew he was acting in God's Will. If you are in God's Will, the rest isn't your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Joash was a pluralistic leader, at the least he tolerated the worship of Baal, if perhaps he was not a participant. The tolerance of this terrible sin was just as bad as participation in it.

Although he had softened towards the pluralistic way of faith he knew that any god who could not and would not defend or punish one who desecrated their altar was not a god worth following. A god who could destroy the altar of another would be one who you want to follow and have on your side.

Fervent worship often makes us uncomfortable yet is that not what our God deserves and requires of us... all our heart soul mind and body loving Him? Often it is our "luke warmness" that is the reason for this discomfort. When someone on fire is around they challenge us to step up and out to serve the Lord our God with all we have.

I believe he did consider the impact on his father therefore he did this act at night to protect his family. And I believe his father knew enough to know if God was in it he should not fight it and neither he nor Baal could not stop it.

I believe the results of this event help Joash to determine once and for all there is but one God and He alone is to be worshiped.

Joash had been a leader that was negatively influenced by others. He couldn't decide who he was going to worship. Gideon's actions have forced his father to choose between Baal and God. Gideon followed the will of God, regardless of the consequences to his family. Gideon was right in putting God first. Joash has become a follower of Yahweh because he left Baal to defend himself, and also threatened those who would take revenge.

Gideon's father like the rest of the people of Israel may not have been trully worshipping the true God at this time. He may have been having one foot on Baal worship and one on the true God. Thus lacking leadership qualities that a son would emulate.

Gideon's action opens the eyes of the father. He has to either be with the son or with the rest of the community who could not see the goodness of the Lord anymore. He opts to support his son.

Gideon was being directed by the Lord God. He may not have thought about any other person at this time. It was the mission of the Lord that mattered at this time. The rest would be guided on the way that they would go (his father).

If he would have considered his father, then he would have consulted and the results would have been different. His father would have advised that this was a risky business and thus hinder the progress of the work of God.

Joash is a follower of Yahweh now because he says to those who are arrayed against him that they should let Baal contend for himself if he is god. Baal should contend for himself if he god. He has now realized once again that it is Yahweh who is the true God.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Not a good one because he allowed the worship of other gods.

2. Gideon's actions made his father chose and defend the Lord Amighty.

3. No, because God told him what to do. To think of the impact on his father would have put his father above God.

4. He had to put God before all else.

5.He realizes that Yahweh is real and says that if Baal and the Aserah pole are reaal gods that they can defend themselves as Yahweh did.