JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Obeying before We Can "See" the Destination

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out? Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

Fear is the reason it takes a special faith to obey God. Fear that you will fail, fear that you misunderstood what God said, fear that you aren't strong enough. It takes daily FAITH to walk this Christian walk, like a popular saying "to take the first step even when you don't see the rest of the stairs".

I have had these "opportunities" and clinged to Gods hand because only through faith in Him was i able to take the first step.

We adopted our special needs daughter when she was 1----only through faith were we able to step out and take that great responsiblity. Only by faith have we been able to endure surgery after surgery, but through our faith God has blessed us by continuelly touching our daughter. For a child who was never suppose to make it to the age of 3, never suppose to get out of bed, never suppose to walk, talk, eat or breath on her own; faith was the only answer. Now she is 7 years old, breathing without a machine, walking, talking, and eating non-stop. FAITH in an ALMIGHTY, Loving, Caring, faithful GOD is what can carry you through any adventure!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out? Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

Faith? Surely OBEDIENCE is the key to this question.

It took a lot of courage to first obey the Lord without asking questions. I had to leave a secure job and had to learn that I can trust upon Him for my everyday life needs. I am in the midst of this great adventure and cannot wait to see where it is leading me.

May I never lose my faith through being disobedient!

• 1 month later...

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out?

It's difficult to step out of your comfort zone into the unknown without a "special faith" due to fear of loss.

Have you had any of these "opportunities"?

I have left my home, family, friends, and job to move to a place unknown to me. I felt God was guiding me in my decisions for his greater plan.

Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

Yes.... with an open ear and an eager heart to God's will whenever he calls upon me.

• 4 months later...

In attempting to answer the question why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obediance to God before we see how it will turn out?

My thought is simply "that is what God requires." Is there another choice? It seems to me that God could not have made an easier way for we humans to have relationship with Him. Where faith becomes difficult for me is in taking action in front of other people.

I am not sure that it should be classified as special faith because faith is faith and as christians we know that we live by faith not by sight. If we were living by sight we would all now be seeing Jesus Christ and God the Father.

• 2 months later...
Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out?

Galatians 5: v17 reminds us that our flesh and God's Spirit are "opposed to each other". And Jesus told us in John 15: v5 that apart from Him we can do nothing. So we need to allow the holy Spirit to work in us and not rely on our own 'faith' which is I think equal to relying on our own understanding and usually doomed to failure. I believe to do something in obedience to God we need to operate in GOD"S Supernatural faith which we receive from the Holy Spirit Who dwells in and equips us and Whom we are required to trust (a big issue for us humans! :P ) and THEN we get the results God intended for us

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Have you had any of these "opportunities?"

Yes, many oportunities over the years; some turned out great but I also missed quite a few! <_< But I have one great testimony to share: Before I got saved, I was married to a violent man. I eventually left and divorced him; we lost track of each other and I got on with the business of raising our 2 children on my own. Six yrs later, I was born again, spirit-filled and soon after, I received a prophecy that God would send me to another country and bring me back home again. Within days, my ex found where I lived and wrote me a letter! After YEARS of complete silence, there he was offering the children and myself a trip to where he lived; in "another country"!! Well, I was all for travel; who wouldn't be? But THAT offer really sent me to my prayer closet! I had to be absolutely certain it was the Lord. After much prayer, He left me in no doubt whatsoever that it was indeed THE trip that had been prophecied to me. Six weeks after the prophecy was delivered, the children and I were on a plane and as far as I was concerned I was going to spend 2 entire weeks in the proverbial lions' den, as the enemy was very keen to bring back many memories of turmoil and violence and I really had to fight those thoughts. :unsure: I spent much of the first 2 days witnessing about what Jesus had done for me to this man who had been so domineering toward me and who insisted in the past that religion was a topic best left alone! That man who used to yell abuses at me now just sat there, listening to ME!!? By the 3rd day, he agreed to come to church with us and he gave his life to the Lord that day!! The 'lions' den' turned out to be a great vacation! That was many years ago, and to this day my ex is still a Missionary! Praise the Lord! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out? I believe it illustrates that we truly trust God no matter the outcome. Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Of course Are you in the midst of this adventure now? Yes

• 1 month later...

Throughout our lives we make plans. We plan what subjects we want to study at school and college which we choose to prepare us for our planned career path. We plan what job we want to go into, when to change jobs, when to get married, when to start a family and all of these plans have within them some future goal... in 2 years time I will be at point A, then in 5 years time at point b etc. We are taught to think like this from a very early age. It isn't a bad thing, but we do think that we can always see how things are likely to turn out. Sometimes God has his own plans for us. This is fine where it fits in with our own plans and we can see where we think it is going to turn out, but not so fine where we can't see how it will turn out or even sometimes how we are possibly going to get there. This is where special faith is required. God said to Abraham: pack up all your things leave your house and set off with your wife and kids and go somewhere that I will show to you in due course. So Abraham said fine and set off into the unknown and actually ended up wandering around for quite a long time. That is a special faith but upon that special faith was built a great nation and ultimately, through Jesus, it led to salvation for all who choose to accept it (which wasn't a bad legacy for Abraham to leave to us).

Have I had a chance to test this special faith? No not yet but I am sure that the time is coming. I feel a very strong calling to some kind of work for God. I don't know what and I don't know where nor do I know how I am going to be able to do any of this. I am waiting for God's lead (not quite with the house packed up like a previous poster in this series) but knowing that the call is coming. At the moment, it is an exciting prospect, but when I am really faced with the unknown if that is what happens, I pray that I will have Abraham's faith to seize the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if is special faith or not, only complete faith. We know God is in control and if He lays something on our hearts we should be able to take a step of faith. We sometimes wonder if it is from God or something of ourselves. We are humans and we sometimes get in God's way when He wants us to just trust Him. Most of us want to know the end before we even know the beginning, I guess this is just human nature.

The greatest opportunity I have had was when I moved from where I had lived many, many years to a different part of the country. I was retired from my job and doing ok. Well, little did I know when I moved that I would be getting custody of my great grandchildren and would be raiseing them. There are many details I have left out but God worked many things in my favor to get the children. It's been amazing when I look back and see the hand of God in all of it. I still have these children who have grown into beautiful teenagers who love the Lord. We have had our problems but we know God is with us.

We are still in the midst of this adventure. There is always something new everyday. I am almost 78 years old and I know it is God that keeps me going. Being on social security I am amazed how well we have been taken care of. We have a roof over our heads, we have never missed a meal or gone without clothes. HE TRULY IS OUR PROVIDER.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You know when God removes you from the place you are into the wilderness it can be a very scary experience. Faith is trusting God in His infinite Wisdom to do His will in you, and often we run from this experience, myself included. God showed me a powerful vision, a specific instruction and removed ALL the obstacles in my life that would hinder me from doing what He'd told me to do. I was scared, and it was quite a painful time, so naturally I ran from Him. Being in the presence of God is a life changing experience, and His presence scared me. But you know what? He didn't give up on me. As a result of running, I realised that I couldnt hide from Him or what He'd called me to do. Now, I'm still in the wilderness, but I believe God is taking me to that promised land, holding me with His righteous right hand, and I now know that without Him, I am nothing, and can achieve nothing. I can draw the same parallel with what Abraham experienced in His walk of faith with God. When we can learn to trust God with everything (heart, soul, mind), even if it means losing everything we hold dear to us, then we can begin to become successful Christians, as Christ ordained us to be! I believe, and have faith, that the Anointing of God, through His Spirit is moving through this website, and that all who are involved in this study are blessed and highly favoured.

Peace and blessings!

Nyaki

South Africa

• 3 weeks later...

We must have special faith to answer God's call even if we do not know the outcome to his call. We do not know any answers; there is always some variable that we do not think of or have no knowledge of because our minds are finite and we cannot fathom God's will for us. We must trust and listen and obey.

At the moment I am in the middle of such an opportunity. I am tempted daily (daily dose of pride and arrogance) to call it a mistake on my part, but I do "know" better. I almost want to use the word faith as a verb, as in "I faith better," because I don't really know anything, except that He knows. And it is an adventure, an adventure in trust.

Recently I was at a concert at our local church, and as a prelude to one of the songs performed, the performer began talking about Jesus and salvation. He made the analogy to a big mean drowning man and a lifeguard. He said that the lifeguard waits until the drowning man stops struggling to try to save himself so he can be saved by the lifeguard (surrender?). In the same way, Jesus waits until the sinner, the ignorant and arrogant sheep, stops struggling to try to save herself and enforce a human driven salvation/solution. Then Jesus steps in with help and Salvation.

Surrender and Obedience require stillness, as in God's order, Be still and know that I am. Stillness, the surrender of effort, requires more of an effort for some of us than effort itself.

Thank you, Lord, for Pastor Ralph's questions. Thank you, Lord, for being a lamp at my feet.

It doesn't take special faith to be led by God, to hear God or to step out in faith. It only takes faith! The Word said "faith the size of a mustard seed." Faith is believing God! When God calls...just be ready to say "Yes Lord" with out doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Our way of looking at something is only a small portion of what God's view on what is being asked. So if we don't follow what we need to do then it will have consequences in our lives which we will not want to have to deal with.

Yes, and I'm going to say everyone probably has these things in their lives, even those that are not faithful have things that God asks of them. They just don't have the word of God before them to follow which direction or what to do,they just do what they feel.

Yes, I am in the middle of something in my life that God is asking of me, and it is hard to do what is being asked.

But sometimes you have to completely change your life in an instant to accomadate what is being asked.

Abraham went through a lot of tests and trials during his life and all those were in obedience to God's asking him to do something. It's not always simple to follow what your being asked,sometimes it takes a lot of change and you go through a lot. But when you do it will help others to understand God the way you do.

I don't know if I would call it special faith, It is faith, that believes and acts without question. The word says that God is no respecter of person, so I would say what Abraham has I also have available to me. It will always be my choice to be obedient or not. I'm sure I have, and I'm sure I said well let me think about this first, ( wrong)!!!! I am saying now out loud, I will do what God calls me to. There is enabling grace available for each situation, so I can do what He tells me to do.

• 1 month later...

This kind of faith 'forces' you to depend on God for the results. On these 'faith walks' you can not depend on your own understanding but God only. I do believe I'm on such an adventure now. Sometimes, I begin to 'doubt' that this was God's call, but then I'm reminded of numerous bible stories that encourage me to keep FAITH. God will not send me anywhere He will not provide and will guide me along to where He wants me to be. I like the way Stormie Omartian put it: "Just enough light for the step I'm taking." God will always give us enough for this day.

• 1 month later...

Why does it take special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it will turn out?

It is that step of faith....going into the unknown with no prior knowlege of the "plan" but to only act in obedience.

Have you had any of these "opportunities"?

Yes.....when I married I was asked to move around the world, out of my comfort zone.....into an unknown. I felt like it was in God's will for me to go with my husband and step out on faith into a country that I did not speak the language nor practice the religion. And God did work it out for glory....He opened my small mind to the beauty and love He had placed in all of His children. It was during this time "away" form my comfort zone that I really began to want to be in His word.

Are you in the midst of this adventure now?

My adventure continues as I sit here....today I am in my country, but am blessed beyond my dreams with the new found love I have for Jesus....I love studying His Word and feel growth. It took so many years but the journey is of God.

• 5 weeks later...

It takes a special faith and the discipline to do it, It takes a made up mind and confidence to know that God is

above all able to do what his desire for our lives will be and He is able to work out the desire of our heart if

we are willing to be obedience to his will. I am in the midst of this adventure and through having a personal

relationship with God, I have learn to trust God and lean not to my own understanding about the events that is

surrounding my life.

• 4 weeks later...

It takes special faith to begin to do something in obedience to God. I have had this type of faith. God had me to do a special task in a church. He had me to go to this church and he kept urging me to go, finally something I would call it a yoke came over my back and I knew the only way that I could get it off was to go to this church. After I got there, one day while at home, I was lying down in my bed and God told me that he wanted me to get some little children and put them in the Sunday School, (I did not know a thing about that church's Sunday School), but I told the Lord that I did not know how to do it and He showed me that years earlier I had worked with a lady who had put a Sunday School together by going to get children from the housing projects. I knew then what to do, I went to so many people who I knew with children and while I did this, I had so much joy. I had no idea that the children were not attending Sunday School in this church but any way the children's ministry is one of the biggest in that particular area now and that was about 19 years ago. I know that it was God, because had it been me it would have never worked. Praise God!

• 3 months later...

3a)it requires special faith because we cannot see how actions will transpire, we have to totally trust God b)Many times staying in situations that have become difficult. God has put faith of Abraham in me.c)yes, I have to daily trust God but he has never let me down so far. Praise God :)

• 2 months later...

I have been seeking a pastorate for the past nine months with out success. The church we have been attending is pastored by a well known, although aging pastor. We have been in the church for the past fourteen months and the church is in need of another staff person. Many within the church have told me that I ought to seek the position. The pastor told me that he did not think that I was qualified for the many task that are entailed. So we contacted a church which was advertising for a pastor and for the past two Sundays have been driving 115 mile to preach and that is a new adventure for us.

Between my freshman and sophomore year in Bible school I decided to do something over the summer. Teen Challenge was always something that interested me because they came to our church so I decided to go help out at a Teen Challenge Center. To make a long story short, I decided to go to one where they would work with people who may be suicidal. Before I came to the Lord I was suicidal. So I thought this would be great! I asked where it was and the interviewer said San Francisco! Man, I didn't want to go that far from home. I lived on the east coast! I had to raise my own money which I figured I would need at least a thousand dollars. Well if the Lord wanted me there, He would provide. Well He did provide and the stipulation to the Lord was that it had to be without my parent's help and He came through.

Well I got on that plane scared. Here I am basically a home boy, never took a drug in my life thrust into a home setting with 28 other drug addicts. Boy, I thought, I really got myself into it this time. But God spoke to me on the plane and said to show those addicts my love. God moved in ways I never saw before in my life and that summer changed my life! If I would not have been obedient I would have missed some real blessings in my life!

• 3 months later...

Q3. (12:1 with Hebrews 11:8-10) Why does it take special faith to

begin to do something in obedience to God before we see how it

will turn out? Have you had any of these "opportunities"? Are you

in the midst of this adventure now?

Oh mercy yes it does take a leap to respond. It takes a special trusting faith because we like the safe and comfortable so much and that keeps us from getting to close and really surrendering to God.

We don't want to get that involved because we fear God may cause us to lose our jobs or allow

some disappointment to come along to force us to do something beyond our comfort zone. So yes!

That's been me in several ways, yet this is truly opportunity to learn to trust God, because we need to understand the means God uses to work His purposes into our life.

we need to be taught how to trust God it's not something we automatically get by being born. In

a way this aspect of trusting has to come by being with Jesus through lifes experiences. But then

how do we know it's a calling from God to do something or other? I've not had such a call except

through the church to teach or at times share my faith with others, or be active to help with some need others have that I can help with. But one thing I've noticed the more diligent I am to stay focused on Christ the more often ministry opportunities come as well as challenges and blessings.

• 2 months later...