JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Calling on the Name of the Lord

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

The significance of Abraham calling on the name of Yahweh is that by revelation He know that Yahweh is the only One God and believe that He alone who has been leading him can render all help he needs. all he need do is call upon HIS Name and He will answer.

To call upon the name of the Lord to me means knowing God and calling upon Him at all times for Help and believing that He will surely render help to me

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

"'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions,

your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women,

I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy....

And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'" (Acts 2:17-18, 21)

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

Life is full of uncertainty, and we can let this eat us up, be caught in the thorns as Jesus said. Or we can call upon Him, and turn it ALL over to Him. It requires total surender. This is where God is leading me, to a deep, deeper surrender. Ther best surrender I am capable of today.

This is why I call on him, partly even in fear of failure. Partly to admit, I'm learning to turn it all over to Him, calling Him to help, guide, and save me, over and over.

So i know I'll be saved, eternally, and I'm learing the hard way all these life things are small potatoes for God to solve for me. He is big, I am a speck in His creation. He can do anything, I can do nothing without Him.

So I call upon the Lord to heal us all and save this land [uSA] from its increasingly immoral lost way of living day to day. Let the strong Christians, like the Hispanics and Gospel brothers and sisters, come forward in prayer and He will heal our land.

Praise God from whom all good things come.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It is significant that Abraham is calling upon the name of Yahweh, not another god. The culture all around him was religious, calling on various supposed deities. But Abraham is now a believer in the One God -- Yahweh. He has cast his lot with him and now seeks him continually, openly, and boldly.

Like Abraham and because I desire/seek a personal relationship with God, I continually, openly, and boldly call upon the name of Yahweh because he is the One God and he has my loyalty and devotion.  This means daily Bible study, prayer, praise and worship, and service.

The significance of Abraham calling on the name of Yahweh is that is was calling upon the One True God and His is personal name is Yahweh.  When I pray, worship, and call upon the name of Yahweh I am calling on the One True God.

• 2 years later...

A. Since Abraham was in a new place, he saw his "need for guidance and direction," and called on Yahweh.  Yahweh had revealed Himself to Abraham, and Abraham responded.  Abraham "now seeks him continually, openly, and boldly" (Dr. Wilson).

B. To call on the name of the Lord is to admit that we are in need and ask for His help.  This is not a one thing, but a continuation of calling.

• 3 months later...

The significance of Abraham calling on the name of Yahwey was that the Lord spoke to Abraham and made the covenant to him. Abraham became a believer in one God, Yahwey instead of a polytheist. He trusted God and everywhere he went he built an alter to worship and call upon the name of the Lord.  

To call upon the name of the Lord for me is to believe that Jesus is the Only Son of God and through him I approach the Father in worship, prayer and request. 

• 3 years later...

Abraham lived in Ur of Mesopotamia, the land of many pagan deities, of which nanna, the moon god, was considered to be supreme. Legend says that his father Terah was in the business of making idols of gods. But when God called Abraham, he left all and went after Him in obedience. When he reached the land he was promised, he built an altar there and called upon the name of the Lord. It’s as though he was saying “forsaking all I choose to follow you”. When we are in need, distress or in happy times we want to be with someone we love. We want their presence and that comforts us, multiplies our joy and we feel satisfied. In my life the one who is closest to me is my Lord. For me to call upon Him means to set my affections on Him and making Him and confidence and my all. It is confessing our need for the Lord based on the belief in our hearts that He is more than sufficient for us.

• 6 months later...

The significance meant that Abraham meant that believed only in Yahweh and no other god. It also meant that he was calling on the Creator of the universe as well. He was also admitting that he was truly admitting that he needed God and also that he needed God's direction and guidance. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Is there not a difference between praying, talking to God, and calling upon God? As in any relationship, there are times of great intimacy and depending on God ... and times when things sorta hum along without much concern.  Perhaps one calls upon God only at times of desperation, that such calling on Him is not one's typical, everyday prayer -- I may be very wrong about this. 

In his obedience, Abraham was far from familiar territory, surrounded by people who did not share his faith (including his family?), and unsure where to go next. His was a desperate moment. Getting it right really mattered. He needed His guidance. God's sure direction. So he CALLED upon God. In my mind, I picture Abraham pleading and crying and begging God for help and answers.

I have called upon God in pivotal moments in my life. I called upon him to be forgiven of a huge mistake I had made, the consequences of which I'm still enduring. I called upon him for direction to move beyond this mistake. I have called upon him for comfort when life seemed bleak and the pain seemed endless and, at times, increasing. 

There have been less than a dozen, or so, of these pivotal moments, during which I called on him in desperation. Maybe fewer.

Amazingly, considering the content of this question, I called upon the Lord last night, for direction, help, and comfort, but have not yet received His answer.

• 2 months later...

Abraham realizes his need for the one true God. While others were serving false gods Abraham called on the one true God. This is very significant because he trusted in the one true God it became a blessing to us all. 

What it means for me to call on the Lord is that I recognize my need for a savior, and helper. There is no way I can do things all in my own. I depend on Jesus for wholeness in my body, finances being in order and also spiritually. I recognize that none of my good works could save me only the precious blood of Jesus could. Only Jesus sacrifice could.