JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Calling on the Name of the Lord

BECAUSE ABRAHAM NEEDED HELP AND GUIDANCE , HE CALLED ON THE LORD. THE CULTURE AROUND HIM CALLED ON OTHER GODS AND DIETIES. A BELIEVER OF THE ONE TRUE GOD-YAHWEH. WE MUST NOT HAVE IDOLS TODAY EITHER,WHICH CAN BE MANY THINGS RANGING FROM A-Z, OR ANYTHING THAT KEEPS US FROM THE ONE TRUE GOD. SO, LET US STUDY AND SHOW OURSELVES APPROVED.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4= By calling on the name of Yahweh Abraham showed an act of devotion to His Lord, it was an open profession of His belief for the one true God. It established his worship for the one true God. Showed his dependancy upon God and declared his faith in the promise. Since God uses Abraham as an example to us today I feel when I call upon the name of the Lord I am doing the same things and it is pleasing to God. The psalmist wrote "I cried to Him with my mouth and He was extolled with my tongue, if I reguard sin in my heart He will not hear; but certaintly God has heard; He has given heed to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, or His lovingkindness from me" Ps. 66: 17-20.

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

By Abraham calling on the name Yahweh showed his true devotion to the one true God.

By me calling on the name of the Lord shows my deep and true devotion to the only true God. Therefore my devotion is the same as Abraham's devotion.

What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

It was showing how Abraham was leaning on God, realizing that God was leading him through the daily walk, leading Abraham where he needed to be, both physically and spiritually.

What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

It means that I am showing reverence, obedience and submission to my Father. I am relying on Him to show me the way, to lead and guide me where He wants me to be, not where I think I should be.

It is significant that Abraham is calling upon the name of Yahweh, not just another god. The culture of that time was religious. The people would call upon various supposed deities. Since Abraham is now a believer in the One God-Yahweh, he seeks Him continually,openly, and boldly.

When a Christian calls on the name of the Lord Jesus, he is showing others he is not ashamed of that Name.

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

Abraham was declaring that there was only one true God.

What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

I am, like Abraham, declaring the one and only true God. I can call on Him and He is always there. :rolleyes:

AS ABRAHAM "CALLING ON THE NAME YAHWEH" HE IS NOW BELIEVING IN THE "ONE AND ONLY GOD".ABRAHAM DESIRES TO CALL ON GOD,AS GOD HAS REVEALED HIMSELF TO ABRAHAM.~~ABRAHAM KNOWS HE NEEDS GOD MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN HIS LIFE.

JUST LIKE ABRAHAM,I KNOW I NEED GOD.I NEED HIS GUIDANCE,HIS HELP.I NEED HIS PRESENCE AND HIS LOVE.I WILL CALL ON GOD TO BE WITH ME EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE.I MYSELF BELIEVE I CAN NOT LIVE WITH OUT GOD IN MY LIFE.I THANK GOD RIGHT NOW FOR BEING "ABBA MY FATHER"KNOWING I CAN GO TO HIM AND CALL ON HIM.I MYSELF LIVE IN HIS MERCY AND GRACE EVERYDAY THAT GOD GIVES ME A NEW MORNING,AS I AWAKE I AM BLESSED.

Yahweh is the one true God. Everyone else was calling out to something God created and not the Creator. Abraham was the only one, a single drop in a vast ocean, calling out to the true God. I know God has various names, but I don't know what Yahweh means specifically.

When I call on the Lord's name it is to praise Him, seek Him for guidance and for asking Him to help others. I know He hears those who are cleansed of their sins. So I repent as soon as possible so He will hear me whenever I call. I also have had the experience where I am not addressing the Lord, but am just pondering something and He will answer my thougths. He is such an awesome God!!!!!!

When Abraham called on the name of the Lord, he recognized his as the one true God and set aside the idolatry that was part of his pagan development.

When I call on the Lord, I recognize God as the eminent creator who placed me here to serve him, and to submit to his calling. While this appeals to my heart, my fleshly desires pull me in other directions

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

THE SIGNICANCE ABRAHAM CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD IS THAT GOD HELPED HIM AND PROVIDED FOR HIM.

WHEN I CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD IS THROUGH PRAYER TO A GOD THAT WILL ANSWER MY PRAYERS AND THAT I CAN TRUST HIM TO ANSWER

• 4 weeks later...

To me Abraham exercised a right we today so take for granted...to be able to call on the name of the Lord.

In seeking for answers and help or seeking inner peace, men have called on so many things and beings, none of them actually proved effective.

But to call on the name of the Lord, the Mighty Creator is a granted priviledge not a hard-won right.

I feel very un-derserving whenever i think abt this..to call on the name of the Lord for mercy, protectiong, assurance and for blessings...how great and loving out Lord is for giving us this priviledge graciously.

The challenge i'm facing now is to dispel seeds of un-belief whenever i invoke the name of the Lord...these seeds stems from my sinful, doubting carnal nature and I pray that Jesus will replace them with wisdom and child-like faith which He so desires. Amen

Pray for me too guys! thanks

abraham calling on god is abraham praying to god for help or a answer i pray every day and when i need a answer from god i really trevail by fasting and praying.

• 1 month later...

Abraham calling on God showed that he was ready to initiate contact with God and not just wait until God chose to call on him. It also shows his choosing Yahweh over the false gods of his past and those around him. When Abraham called on God he showed his desire to have a two way relationship with the Heavenly Father.

I call on God constantly, but not enough I believe. I believe that He wants us totally dependent on Him and recognizing His presence and our need of Him 24, seven. I get caught up in the busy-ness of life and my mind strays from Him, then I notice I am losing my peace. That is my signal, it is time to once again call on the name of the Lord.

Q4:

(a) The significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh", assures us that Abraham knew as a believer who the one and only true God was/is. Abraham knew who brought him this far and to go on he still needed to turn to God for help, even though the religion around him was different. Also Abraham did not forget to Thank God and give God all the Praise and Glory for where he had been and where he is going. A great example to us, Abraham's descendents---always stop and take time for God in all of our situations.

(B) For me to "call on the name of the Lord" means I can do nothing without God. I need to recognize who God is whenever and wherever I am, no matter what others might think.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that it is significant that Abraham called on the name of the one true God, Yahweh, because, it appears to me, from the passage, that Abraham is at a cross-roads. He has just stopped near Bethel. Then, he builds and altar and calls on the name of HIS Lord. I think he is not sure at this point where he's supposed to go. He's probably feeling very much like an outsider. He's in a foreign land, he is basically alone in his worship of Yahweh as the only true and living God, he's a gypsy moving from place to place and he's possibly come to the end of what he knows to do. So, he calls on God. "THEN, Abram set out and continued toward the Negev" (Gen 12:9).

I think he calls on the name of our Lord and the Lord answers him and says, "keep going toward the Negev. You're on the right track. Just keep your eyes fixed on me."

So, now that Abram has a little reassurance, he heads out.

It is interesting to note that immediately following this section of scripture, there is a great famine mentioned, so Abram and Sarah go to Egypt. Well, if they had gone any other direction from Bethel besides toward the Negev, they might not have been close enough to travel to Egypt to avoid the famine. Who knows.

When I call on the name of the Lord, often it is in desperation over my situation. I am currently trying to move closer to my Lord and spend more time with Him that I might come to know His voice more readily when He calls. I want to know when He is expressing His will to me. I want to have a beautiful, personal relationship with the one true God of the universe, my God, Yahweh.

Q4. Abraham calling on the name of Yahweh meant he was contacting one GOD, (his GOD). This was a complex time for Abraham. Calling on Yahweh meant contact GOD for spiritual enlightenment, and direction. He called on Yahweh for assistance. He needed Yahweh to intervene, and resolved the issues and/or problems.

When, I call on Yahweh it means that I am at my wits end. Again, I have to go into the spiritual realm. Only GOD can fight my battle, and come out glorious and victorious.

Calling upon the name of the Lord is to enjoy the rich presence of His divine Person. Psalms88:9 mentions our daily calling upon the Lord. Call upon the name of Yahweh with a pure heart.

Calling upon Yahweh indicates one's allegiance and worship. John9:31 says "God doesn't listen to evil men, but he has open ears to those who worship Him and do His will."

Follow the Bible and not your own thinking. Remember that "calling on" means more than simply making a request. Go in and get involved. Calling on Yahweh identifies the caller as a believer of God.

• 6 months later...

The beginning of His faith and ours is in the act of believing in the one true God, this was a great act of faith when all Abraham had ever know was idol worship.

When we call on the name of the Lord we acknowledge our belief He is our GOD and no other is before Him. You can know your neighbors and friends exist but to call on them means a personal communication, the same with God if we call on Him we are communicating in worship and with our needs. We so often miss the greastest blessing because we spend all our time with God giving Him a list of our needs, He already knows and has promised to meet our needs. I love the fact that you don't find Abraham going to God with his needs but everytime he heard from God he responsed with builting an altar and worshipping God in thanks.

• 1 month later...

I think the significance of Abraham's calling on the name of the Lord is that it proved that Abraham had absolute faith and trust in Him to be able to do what Abraham could not do for himself. Isn't that what we do now when we "call on the name of the Lord" in small things and large? I know that I called to God yesterday when I almost ran over a deer with my vehicle. I said, "Oh, Lord! Don't let me hit him!" It seems as though I call upon the name of the Lord a great deal like that--the first words out of my mouth when I experience a jolt. But my most heart-felt calling on the name of the Lord has to do with my relationship with others: my family, friends, church--"Oh Lord, please guide me. Put the right words in my mouth to witness for You and for Your glory, Lord!"

• 1 month later...

Abraham calling on the name of Yahweh is important in a couple of ways. A person can consider this a conformation of monotheism. There is one and only one God. In the pagan culture, that Abraham lived this was a new concept. There is one and only one true God, Yahweh. From another viewpoint, this can be the realization that there is a personal god. There is one God who all people can call on by name. Thought the concept of a personal God is controversial; it is a concept that I feel helps me with my faith. I except God as a personal god through which I communicate through the Holy Sprit, and I feel this is true for all people.

Mike

• 1 month later...

The significance of Abraham calling on Yahweh for me is that it shows me that the ONLY way to find strength and perserverance is through God. That any burden that seems to much for me, God alone will make light for me. I must call upon him. for all my needs. It means for me total dependance, total surrendar, total trust, total faith that God will always hear me and be there for me

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Calling on God's name means to get personal with Him. To realize He is the most supreme of all, it is a title of reverence - He is the I am. In ancient times a name was carefully considered for the meaning behind it. In our limited languages, now words are sufficient to explain God's name which original Hebrew YHWH. Many scholars differ on the exact meaning, but to believers it means that God is my every breath. Abram was giving honor to God acknowledging the perfectness of God's direction in Abram's life - saying to God all you require - here I am.

To call on the name of God means the same to us as Abram, that we acknowledge the greatness of God, the total perfection and power of God and rely on His strength and direction for our lives. Not a religion that we put on and take off - put a part of our being everyday, as breath is to our body for life sustaining, calling on God is essential for our soul.