JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Calling on the Name of the Lord

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

He knew that God was the one true God.

It means the same for me..... God is the only one who i can call on who knows what i truly need, even when i think i need something totally differnet than what He gives me. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

To call on the Name above all names... To admit that nobody and nothing else can substitute what we have in our Lord. To fully trust and obey Him, even if it seems foolish and dumb.

Praise the Name of our Lord!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

To pray and worship God... to be remind him of his love and loyalty to God

What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

To audibly call God to worship and praise him. To share my love, happiness, sadness, anger and fear with God, and to trust and follow him whole-heartedly.

• 3 months later...
Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

Abraham's fathers were honoring idol gods. The Lord told Abraham to separate himself. That separation was to be both physically and spiritually. When God spoke to Abraham, he was introduced to the one God - the God who created the heavens and the earth. When this became known to Abraham, he built an altar and called on the name of his Master - the one true God.

It means to me to realize I am dependent on Him for my every need, to recognize it is He that substains me, and to render to him the praise and glory for all things.

• 4 months later...
To call on the name of the Lord shows - that you trust Him, that He is greater, that you need Him, etc. you begin to recognize who God is in your life. Relationship develops then obedience and worship begins. Calling on His name brings Him forth to be who He is...Hallelujah!

• 1 month later...

Abraham's call on the name of the Lord in 12:9 uses the verb qara (sorry no idea how to type an a with a line above it!) which here connotes "calling one to a specific task" Abraham has, in faith on God's promise set out on a journey to a land which God has promised that he will show him. Abraham is in Canaan, but still he has no fixed home and he is still wandering around. Even for a nomadic shepherd, this was probably worrying, and he calls on the Lord for guidance and direction. After calling on the Lord's name, Abraham continues in faith by stages toward the Negev.

One issue which is confusing me here is whether there is any difference between calling on the name of the Lord, as Abraham does here and asking for something in the name of Jesus as Jesus himself taught in John 14: 13 & 14. When I pray, for example for someone who is sick or for God's guidance in a particular area of my life or with a real problem which has arisen, I pray in the name of Jesus. In praying in this way, I have absolute faith, based on the words of Jesus that my prayer will be answered. I suppose that this is the same as when Abraham calls on the name of the Lord. Whether my faith is absolute every time is a different issue. Maybe if I had the faith of Abraham I could get a lot more done.

• 2 weeks later...

The culture around him was to worship many false gods, so by him calling on the name of Yahweh he was calling on the one true God. He trusted in, believed in, leaned on, counted on, and woushipped the one true God.

When I call on the name of the Lord it means that I, too, trust in , bellieve in, lean on, count on, and worship the one true God. There is no one else we can say that about. God is the only one we can truly trust in. What would I (we) do with out Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham could call upon God with confidence that God was listening to Him and wanted to act on Abraham's behalf.

Abraham's faith in God had assured him of Gods love towards him.

The joy that Abraham had in calling God surely is the same joy that we have as Gods children through Jesus our Lord.

By calling we have the knowledge through faith and from Gods word that He cares for us and He will act on our behalf and welfare.

What a great God and Saviour we have.

• 1 month later...

Abraham called on the Lord for help and guidance, to do the next right thing. He trusted in God to direct his path. Calling on God for me means the same thing as it did for Abraham. I pray that I will do so in all things. I am still self driven in many ways (old habits are hard to break?).

I am reminded here of the Master's words, Matthew 18:3 "Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Little children look for guidance from their Father. Abraham did just that when he called upon the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

He was showing us his need? The bible doesn't really say. This is just a guess maybe

it showed his dependence on God for directions, comfort , nourishment. Not to mention, when you love someone you long to be in contact with them. There is security in staying connected to the branch.. I need to be in contact with my Father always, I need Him for every breath I take, He satisfies my soul. It I don't I get lost in this world.

• 1 month later...

To 'call on the name of the Lord,' has many connotations. First, it reveals that you 'believe He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.' Calling His name also shows your dependence on Him; you cannot do it for yourself and you seek His help and guidance. Thirdly, you believe He is personable; He hears your personal requests and relates with you on an intimate level. We are required to have faith in these things. We also need to believe there is 'power' in the very name of Jesus. "Whatever is asked for in His name..."

• 1 month later...

What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"?

To call on Yahweh is to call on the one and only God.....not one of the many gods that people have worshipped through the years. It means that Abraham was a believer in the One, and went to Him all of the time.

It really means the same as for Abraham, I call on the name of the Lord and take Him my cares, thoughts , needs and praise and worship. Not only is He my God, but He is my advisor, my friend, my one and only soul mate.

• 4 weeks later...

To call on the name of the Lord for me it means Savior, Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, Comforter, Redeemer.

To know that the Lord will hear me when I call for him. He is my protector, my guide.

• 4 weeks later...

What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of the Lord"?

Abraham called on the name of Yahweh in a new place. He recognized his need, his loneliness, the need for guidance and direction.

Calling on the Name of The Lord to me means calling on my Helper. The only one who will guarantee bringing me out of a situation in peace, perfect peace.

• 3 months later...

4a)Abraham recognised need for guidance & direction & called on Yahweh as the true God B) unlike others in culture calling on other Gods e.g moon god. b)for me as a Christian important to call on name of lord jesus my saviour, for help, support in fact for everything. God wants me to put his name above everything else. I thank God for chosing me to be His vessel, to do his work on earth. :D Help me Lord to speak your name, confident that you will guide & lead me. Every moment of every day I walk with God as without him I can do nothing of worth. :)

• 2 months later...

Calling on the Lord is recognizing you need His help in a critical need. When I boarded that plan for San Francisco to work at the Teen Challenge during the summer of my Freshman and Sophomore years I called on the Lord for guidance and direction. I never took an illegal drug in my life, never been that far from home alone. When I got off the plan I did not know what awaited me. I called on God for guidance. I called on God for protection. Now that I have been a pastor for 25 years I still call on the Lord for wisdom!I recognize I can not do it without Him!

Calling on the Lord is recognizing you need His help in a critical need. When I boarded that plan for San Francisco to work at the Teen Challenge during the summer of my Freshman and Sophomore years I called on the Lord for guidance and direction. I never took an illegal drug in my life, never been that far from home alone. When I got off the plan I did not know what awaited me. I called on God for guidance. I called on God for protection. Now that I have been a pastor for 25 years I still call on the Lord for wisdom!I recognize I can not do it without Him!

• 3 months later...

Q4. (12:9) What was the significance of Abraham "calling on the

name of Yahweh"? What does it mean for you to "call on the name of

the Lord"?

It's significant because he felt that only Yahweh had been trustworthy

in dealing with Abraham. My being able to call on the Name of the Lord is

a necessary part of who I am. To do so means I share life with the One who

is beyond all life who sees all my tomorrows.

Abram called on the Name of Yahweh because Yahweh had become a reality in his life. An

everpresent reality that continued to mature into a believing and trusting relationship.

A relationship that delivered on the promise of a new land. It is interesting that this

tradition was to continue with Issac and Jacob and down through history all the way to

the early explorers of America and the new world and even to the prayer of dedication of

the landing on the moon. Calling on the Name of the Lord to me is what defines who I am.

In gratitude, in the joy of the sweetness of a relationship that holds promise to encompass

all of eternity.

• 2 months later...

Calling on the name of the LOrd is to show to God how much we need him not only in bad situation but we need him everyday bcoz we are limited as human.