JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Abraham Tithes to Melchizedek

Q3. (14:20) What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek? Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship? Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills?

It acknowledged Abrams belief they worshipped the same God creator of all and was his way of worshipped and honoring God by paying tithes to Melchizedek as God's priest. This was a symbol of our now worhsipping and honoring God by our love and loyalty and paying of tithes to the Lord as our high priest. God has abounded in blessing in our lives and owns everything so the 10% tithes is not something he needs or wants if we do it for the wrong reasons, it should be our love to please him that leads us to obey his commandments. We tend to forget 10% doesn't say of our wages are we giving him 10% of our time, prayer life, worship, doing good deeds or do we pay 10% of our wages and expect the pastor or elders to do our worhip and works for us?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been so curious about Melchizedek and have read everything I could about him. In the process I've come up with as many viewpoints on who he was as I have theories about the book of Revelation. From what the Bible says here, I must believe that he is God's man and, in such a position, commands the awe and respect of Abraham. Abraham tithes to God through Mechizedek. Tithing today should represent the same worship as it did in biblical times. God expects our best, our first fruits. We have seen that throughout the Bible, beginning with Cain and Abel. I mentioned in answering another question that I always have enough when I give God His part first. In the past, where I've gotten in trouble is when I decided to give God what I had left. Then I don't have enough. :(

• 9 months later...

Q3. (14:20) What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek? Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship? Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills?

Even Melchizekek was deficienr in knowing God he still beleved. a tenth was the kings share that was given him.since God gives all, we should give of our first fruits as w ell. It is easy rob God when He givess us all.

• 3 months later...

I believe that you have answered the first question with the second. Abraham was indeed worshipping El Elyon by paying tithes. Tithes honor God and His church by giving the church the ability to survive. This goes back all the way to the commission to Aaron and the Levites that tithes would be brought to the temple or tabernacle in order to sustain all, the priests, the Levites and the temple.

God always demands our firstfruits. The gross of our income is the firstfruit and should be given accordingly. Believe this. You will be blessed as to your faith in giving.

• 3 months later...

By tithing to God's priest Melchizedek, Abraham is worshipping God for giving him the victory. Melchizedek as king hadn't helped in the military victory and wasn't entitled to a share of the spoils, but Melchizedek, the priest and representative of God, received Abraham's gift as an act of worship of God Most High.

Tithing today can represent the same kind of worship if done in the right spirit.

We should tithe to God first as they is a way of showing God is first in our lives.

By tithing to God's priest Melchizedek, Abraham is worshipping God for giving him the victory. Melchizedek as king hadn't helped in the military victory and wasn't entitled to a share of the spoils, but Melchizedek, the priest and representative of God, received Abraham's gift as an act of worship of God Most High.

Tithing today can represent the same kind of worship if done in the right spirit.

We should tithe to God first as that is a way of showing God is first in our lives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Abraham was able to achieve this victory by the power of God. Abraham was glorifing God by giving Melchizedek, the priest of the Most High God, a portion of the spoils. Yes, I think by tithing today we glorify God. It's by the grace of God that we have what we have. God loves a cheerful giver and when we give we are giving to God. He deserves the first fruit and not the left overs.

Q3. (14:20) What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek?

Abraham recognized Melchizedek as a priest, a man of God, and as was his custom he gave the man of God the tithe due to God.

Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship? [/d]

Yes, today the tithing still represents the same kind of worship.

Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills?

We should tithe to God as Abraham did before paying our bills because God's command to us is that we tithe on our increase. Our increase represents the gross not the net of our salary.

• 5 months later...

Abraham is tithing a tenth of the spoils of war to God via His High Priest Melchizedek. I think tithing today represents the same kind of worship. It honors God with our first fruits. Giving is essential in having a relationship with God.

• 2 months later...

(1) By Abraham giving to Melchizedek he recognnized God as his provider and from whom all his blessing's flowed. (2) Yes, I think tithing today represents the same kind of worship because we are to put God first. We are to give back one-tenth of what God has given us. In the last six months I have found out what it is to be a cheerful giver. I would love to share what God has done for me in the last six months. The Lord has taught me so much and still teaching me about obeying and following in His foot steps. (3) We have to give back to God first before we pay our bills or anything else because God commands it. The devil will keep telling you, you need that money, pay it later but later never comes. You will not pay your tithes. If you do not want to live under a curse, pay your tithes. Receive the blessing's God has for you, " taste of the Lord and see of His goodness".

• 1 month later...

Abraham was a man who pleased God all the time. He was obeying God's word. It was also a tradition to give a tenth of one's earning to the gods. Abraham followed accepted tradition of that time.

The Bible makes the purpose of tithing very clear to teach us to fear the Lord and to put Him first in our lives. We are to give God the first and the best of what we earn. For example what we do first with our money shows what we value most. Giving the first part of our paycheck to God immediately focuses our attention on Him. It also reminds us that all we have belongs to Him.

A habit of regular tithing can keep God at the top of our priority list and give us a proper perspective on everything else we have.

• 1 month later...

Abraham gave one tenth of his spoils as an act of thanksgiving to God for being with him in his battle. When our needs are met and our hearts are full of thanksgiving, we can't contain the joy we feel. We will find ourselves where we need to show our appreciation in some way. Today's tithing is a form of worship to God, as well as being an act of obedience to God. All that we have and receive comes from God. I have found that God has always been faithful in meeting every need in my life. As long as I put Him first, then all else falls into place. Even when things have seemed doubtful, God has always been right on time time and time again.

• 3 months later...

Q3. (14:20) What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek? It was an act of worship for God to Melchizedek who was a representative of the same God of Abraham's.

Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship? Tithing does represent the same kind of worship as it did back then...a thanksgiving for all of God's blessings.

Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills? All we have is due to the blessings of God...if not for his mercy and grace we would have nothing. Our mere being is due to God's love for us.

• 3 months later...

Abraham was an act of worship as Mechizadek represents the most high God. We need to tithe today because it shows that we trust God and revere Him more than the material things of the world. When we tithe to God first, we are giving Him the first fruits and we are elevating Him above everything in our lives. It also shows we are trusting Him to continue to bless us and provide for us.

• 4 months later...

By giving one tenth, Abraham is worshipping God for giving him the victory. He is giving back to God what God has given to him.

Nothing has changed between Abraham and now on this issue. We should worship God by giving back to Him a part of what He has given to us (which by the way is everything!) provided that at all times it is done only to worship and glorify God. If it is done to glorify ourselves, then it is useless. One of my favourite Psalms is Psalm 50 and I think that this gives some good guidance on how we should give. It says that everything belongs to God anyway, everything which we could give Him is His already, but "offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving and pay your vows to the most high. Call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me" (Psalm 50 14 - 15). This is exactly what Abraham was doing and what we should do

It is interesting to note that Abraham gave one tenth of everything, before he returned anything to the king of Sodom or anything else. It was one tenth of everything. Clearly our tithing should be one tenth of everything before anything else comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the significance of the tenth that Abraham gave to Melchizedek, the priest and representative of God, was a form of worship to God thanking Him for his victory.

Tithing today should represent the same kind of worship. It is one form of worship and thankgiving for what He has done and is still doing for us. We should always be cheerful givers to God's Kingdom.

We should tithe to God first because He should be first in our lives. Everything we have comes from God, and to give our tithes is a form of obedience and worship to God Most High. Tithing is a small portion of the love, thanksgiving and worship He deserves. There is nothing to compare with the love He has for us. WE SERVE AN AWESOME GOD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Abraham, with his tithe, is thanking God and giving glory to God for his success. Tithing today does represent the same thankfulness. We should tithe to God to acknowledge that all our glory is a blessing from Him.

[/quote

Abraham gave honor and worship to the One (God) who gave him the victory by giving the tenth(tithe) to Melchizedek, who pronounced that God gave the enemy into Abraham's hand.

Yes

By tithing we recognize that it is only by the hand of God that we have breath to earn wages, to work,provide for our families etc. It all belongs to God, He blesses us with it, when I honor God with my 1st fruits, he takes care of every other need I may have.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (14:20)

What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek?

Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship?

Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our pay-checks to pay our bills?

Abraham is honouring God, thanking Him for the victory. Yes, it is acknowledging that everything belongs to God and we are grateful for what He has given us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills?

It is to worship Him for all that He has given to us.....

What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek?

As the king Melchizedek was not entitled to the spoils of the victory, but Abraham saw him as a priest of the God her loved and served and so wanted to give him the first tenth.

Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship?

I think it should represent the same kind of worship, but it does take us many years to get this straight. Many times we act out of duty rather than worship and praise.

• 1 month later...

(14:20) What is the significance of Abraham giving one tenth of the spoils of war to Melchizedek? Does tithing today represent the same kind of worship? Why should we tithe to God first (like Abraham did) before dividing up our paychecks to pay our bills?

By giving one tenth of the spoils to Melchizedek, Abraham was honoring and worshipping God.

Yes, tithing today represents the same kind of worship.

We should tithe to God first because we should give Him off the top, not in what is left over.

• 5 months later...

Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek to not only as an act of worship but because he realized that it was God who brought the victory. Melchizedek acknowledged that the God of Abraham was possessor of heaven and earth and has delivered the enemy into thine (Abraham's) hands.

Tithing today represents the same kind of worship. We ought to recognize like Melchizedek and Abraham that the God we serve is possessor of heaven and earth and has given us the victory over the world, the flesh and the devil. Ultimately for Abraham it was God who gave him the strength and wisdom to go against an enemy that was more powerful than he. Today it is God who gives us the strength not only to get the wealth that we have but the wisdom to live each day victorious.

WE should tithe to God first and by first I mean even before our taxes are taken out so that is tithing on our gross. We should do that because we should begin with God who has given us the victory!