JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Walk Before Me and Be Blameless

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be

blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? In a way yes, but within limits. It appears God

is expecting Abraham to represent the same faithfulness to God as he has earlier, but within the range of what he is equipped to handle. What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? To keep himself from being party to the lax moral conduct such as he has witnessed from heathen nations. Does he expect more (or

less) of Christians under the new covenant? Yes, pretty much the same...! Because of what great price God has paid for our redemption we should want more than anything to please God.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant

No...God is not expecting Abraham to live a life of moral perfection since we all sin. He does, however, wants Abraham to live; honoring the covenant whole-heartedly, honestly with great love while testifying the New Covenant to others since he expects more of Christians under the New Covenant.

• 7 months later...

1a)We are not perfect,but sinful, but God is requiring us to keep our part of the covenant and follow his commands honestly as much as we can.

b)Expects him to live a righteous life.

c)He expects more of us, as we have holy spirit to help us.

• 9 months later...

God telling Abraham to be blameless does suggest that Abraham is should be 100% morally perfect; we should try as best we can in this fallen world. God knows that we're flesh and influenced by our worldly nature, but God is asking Abraham to be obedient and in submission to the will of God. Thus so he is asking us also, to be better, and better, and more like Jesus

So we can walk before Him with a clean heart and a sacrifice God is pleased. I believe that God expects Abraham to be a model of a godly man of God and an example to the people around him.

In this covenant, God expects us to walk in righteousness and holiness , or we will not see the Lord. We must show service, love to fellow man and devotion to God's word in our daily walk.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

God doesn't demand something we can't do. Humanity isn't capable of walking in moral perfection due to the sin nature of humanity.  However, we can, and God expects, that we understand and intentionally attempt to line our ethical and moral standards to God's standards as we live out our lives in this world.  We might not be able to be morally perfect, but we can be ethical and moral in our decision making, honoring God, and how we treat others. 

In light of the great price God gave in providing our salvation, I believe that God expects more of Christians of the new covenant.  In fact, why shouldn't God expect people to try and be blameless.  To have hearts that while not perfect try to be blameless and righteous to honor God and to love others. 

We cannot save ourselves, but I believe God expects us to live our lives based on the new covenant and the insights He has given us through Jesus Christ and His written Word.

• 2 years later...

A. No.

B. A vassal might be expected of a monarch to live out their side of the covenant.  So, in this case, God would expect of Abraham that he would "live out his side of the covenant wholeheartedly and honestly."  Abraham was expected of God to "live a righteous life before him."

C. Am I not to do the same, "live a righteous life before him?"  I can't help to believe that I am to live before Him as one that has been reborn into the Kingdom and following Him, who is Lord.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Mt. 6:33).  Needless to say, what is to come first in my life. 

• 3 months later...

I do not think Abraham could completely live a perfect life, but he could be honest and righteous before God.

The blamelessness Abraham is to live is honest and righteousness before God. The Lord will not tolerate falsehood and rebellion.

I believe the Lord expects Christians of the New Covenant to live a life as was told to Abraham, honesty and righteous, not to have a falsehood or rebellion in our hearts.  

• 3 years later...

In Hebrew this “walk before me and be blameless” means come before My face. It means just as a servant presents himself before his master, Abraham has to present himself before God. He has to present before God and to walk before Him blameless, He is saying live his life knowing that He is watching everything he’s doing. And to be upright, pure, a man of integrity. The word is blameless not sinless. (We are blameless because Jesus took our blame on the cross.) To a ninety-nine year old Abraham, God doesn’t say that it’s time to retire, but to go higher. A walk with God can begin at any age.

Yes, God expects the same thing from every Christian under the New Covenant.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant? No He is requiring Moses to walk in faith and trust and love God and others but also to be holy as well as God is holy. He expects the same thing of us. 

• 1 year later...

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

God does not require what cannot be done. Morals are the principles of right and wrong behaviour. I believe God is asking him to walk in a right manner before Him. That what would be right living in a human mind. (Not taking what isn't yours - stealing; etc) Being whole, w/o blemish, upright and complete. 

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

I feel that the blamelessness He requires is being upright, being devoted to God. Not to be rebellious. 

Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?
He expects the same. That is what we need to strive for, "Walk before God (my King) and be blameless" 

Only with Christ can we live like that. 

• 1 year later...

The Bible's most obvious meaning should be preferred, so the command to Abraham to "walk before me" and "be blameless" is what is says -- follow him (without deviation) and be blameless (perfection). if God required this of Abraham, then God would enable Abraham to live both blamelessly and to follow blindly. 

The fact that we as sinful 21st century Christians cannot understand how God could require perfection of Abraham doesn't negate that this is what God asked. I'm grateful that God does not require my perfection but has given me a way of erasing my sins -- through Christ -- so I can, with hesitancy and error, follow him.

What concerns me is Abraham's previous behavior. Obviously he had difficulty believing God and understanding Him. So to command perfection from Abraham must have meant a deep and thorough change in Abraham's character. Perhaps this change explains why the NT refers to Abraham's righteousness:  "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness"

--

Blamelessness or perfection is required in several places in the NT, too, including Matt. 5:48 "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect."

• 3 months later...

No God is not requiring moral perfection. He is wanting Abraham's whole heart. Walk with God with his whole heart and not wavering. Under the new covenant God also requires us to walk wholeheartdely with him. We actually have more revelation then the people in the old covenant had when they were alive because we have Jesus that came into the flesh and died for us and rose from the dead. We are now children of God so what more to expect out of us living in the new covenant. Abraham showed a great amount of faith in God for living in the old covenant and is a good example of what it means in trusting God in all circumstances.