JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Walk Before Me and Be Blameless

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that God required Abraham to be perfect for no one is perfect but God. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So whatever He required of Abraham, He also requires of us. To be blamless, I think, is living your daily life in such a way that no one can point the finger and blame you of wrong doing.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

He is not requiring moral perfection because He knows as a human Abraham is incapable of moral perfection. But He does know that as a human Abraham has the right of decision, to continually chose to walk before God, to correct himself when he falters and get back on the walk before God. Abraham's true desire was to walk before God and that is where the blameless part comes in, I believe.

I don't know if God expects more of us, certainly I don't believe He expects less. He expects our hearts to be set firmly in our desire to be His servants.

Lesson 6 Q1

(a) When God tells Abraham to "walk before me and be blameless", is he requiring moral perfection: No, I do not believe God requires moral perfection from Abraham or any of us because God's Word states, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God". Romans 3:23

(B) The kind of blamelessness he requires of Abraham is to give himself totally to God and be honest.

© I believe God expects the same of Christians under the New Covenant, if we have accepted Jesus into our heart, then the Holy Spirit has taken up residence in us and we will want to give ourselves totally to God and be honest people. The Ten Commandments will not be, "Thou shalt not ...", but "I do not want to...". We will have no desire to do wrong!

• 7 months later...

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

Perfection as long as we live in a human body with human emotions will always fall short of the glory of God but spiritual we can attain perfection as an obedient servant of God. It requires more than what most of us are willing to pay because our self will has to die that Christs' will may arise and become the ruler. We are to take on His mind and character so that our responses and prayers are as Christ would have done.

God never changes, people change and circumstances changes but what God required when he gave His commandments he still expects today. Jesus came to fulfill the law that we might be under grace instead of the law but God still expects spiritual perfection. We will never be perfect as the world describes perfect but God judges by His own standards and not man's. Thank God for His mercy without it we would all deserve death.

• 1 month later...

I LOVE this Bible Study!! :P I am making so many connections between the Old Testament and the New Testament I had never made before! In my particular belief system, we speak a great deal about prevenient grace, justifying grace, and sanctifying grace--prevenient grace being that love and wooing of us by God to accept Him--Justifying grace being that grace we receive at the time of conversion--and sanctifying grace--that kind of grace we draw on from conversion to death which makes us strive to be like Christ. Abraham had heard God's voice from the very beginning, wooing him (prevenient grace). God had already reckoned Abraham as righteous [Genesis 15:6] because Abraham believed (justifying grace). So to me, the next logical step is, because of Abraham's acceptance of God, he will now strive toward perfection(sanctifying grace). The key word here is strive. I think that is what God is asking. He's saying, "Now that you have accepted Me and understand what I'm all about, I'll expect you to work on making Me proud!! And remember, I'm back here with My eye on you!" It's sort of like parents teaching kids to ride a bike...First you have training wheels, then you take off the extra wheels and walk along beside them helping them balance, then you let them ride off by themselves...shakily at first...It doesn't mean the kid is not going to wreck...it just means you're back there to help pick him up. I think that we should have a much easier time of "walking before Him and being blameless" than Abraham because of our role model, Jesus. I don't think God has any more expectations for us than He did for Abraham. However, I certainly don't think He expects less!

• 9 months later...

In order for Abraham to receivethepromise that God had given hi. he knewthat God would require of him complete faithfulness and obedience. God said Be holy as I am hly.a God has given us man promises in Hiw Word w h ich re relevant to us so He requireess of us as w well to be faithful to Him and to obey Him If the Holy Sprit is operativein my life I wil be sensitive to His leading in my daily living and rmins myself that He is a holy God and requires of us no less.

• 3 months later...

Adonai expects those who have committed themselves to Him to give Him their very best. He, who knows our hearts and minds, knows exactly what we are capable of. As with Abraham, we will make mistakes. We should, however, through the revelations of the Holy Spirit, be able to see and strive to eliminate them. Like Abraham, God requires that we do not live in sin, that we are blameless. When Jesus comes, them will we be perfected.

• 3 months later...

No, I do not think God is requiring moral perfection. However, God does expect Abraham to live in such a manner as to live out his part of the covenant honestly and with complete devotion to doing this.

Under the new covenant, God is asking us to strive every minute of every day to do our best to follow Him and live according to His Word. We ask the Holy Spirit to be with us and help us do God's will. There will be times when we will falter but in God's grace, we are forgiven and continue to live for Him.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q1. (17:1-2) When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," He was not requiring moral perfection. The kind of blamelessness that was required of Abraham was to give complete faith and trust in God Almighty, to live in total obedience and to live by God's commandments.

Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant?

God expects the same from Christians under the new covenant. Our walk should reflect Jesus. The unsaved should see Jesus in us.

• 2 weeks later...

God isn't asking for moral perfection but to live an ethically righteous life before him. Someone explained the difference between ethics and morals as what climate is to weather. Ethics involve everyone, morals more personal. God is asking that Abraham lead an upright and sincere life. He expects the same from us.

• 5 months later...

No. He is requiring Abraham to be loyal and hold up his end of the covenant. God is looking for men and women who will honor Him and submit to His leadership.

I think God expects the same worship.

• 3 months later...

(1) No, God is requiring moral perfection from Abraham. God knows we are human and we are not perfect, that we fail Him from time to time. WE can ask forgiveness and receive it. (2) The kind of blamelessness God is asking of Abraham is to live out his side of the covenant wholeheartedly and honestly, communicating with God, obeying His Word, and trusting God completely. (3) I think God expects the same from us Christians today. We are the seed of Abraham, and the covenant God made with him is our covenant to.

g

Abram fall into human reasoning, which lead to thirteen years of walking in darkness and in separation from the nearness and the fellowship of God. But the Lord is gracious; He was again the first to return.

The Lord is telling Abram that He again gives repentance and the opportunity to return to Him. If Abram would walk before Him, He would make His covenant with Abram.

Abram, in his human reasoning, followed his wife

• 1 month later...

Moses is required to walk before God with a sincere heart, letting all his actions, thoughts, deeds all be done with the awareness of Christ at all times. He is to seek God's leadership and direction with his whole heart, letting everything be guided and directed by God's divine will. He is still human and as such is apt to make mistakes.

Christians today are not exempt from serving God wholeheartedly. We can't be complacent in our attitude, but let our every thought and action be guided by Christ. Each day we must seek God, looking to Him for direction in our lives, and remembering that we are but human, and realize that it's only by God's grace and mercy that we can walk in the fullness of Christ.

• 1 year later...

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection? No. He knows that no human is capable of moral perfection. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (even Abraham). What He is asking from Abraham is that he openly and honestly strives for blamelessness and that where he falls short, he openly and honestly confesses to God and asks for forgiveness.

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham? He requires a constant, transparent and open striving to achieve blamelessness or righteousness

Does he expect more (or less) of Christians under the new covenant? He expects exactly the same.

No, God knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows we cannot walk in moral perfection, but He does expect honesty and submission. Abraham is expected to walk before Him, to obey Him, to trust Him, to surrender. God expects us to trust and obey, to be honest and trustworthy. He expects the same of us today that He did of Abraham.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside Christ this would be a tough call, Our heavenly Father wants us to walk in His ways, to do what is pleasant in His sight, and all the while He knows us, He understands us.

Thankfully, we have a Saviour in heaven who mediates on our behalf.

I was taught along time ago to keep short accounts with God, to continually repent and seek His face in all things.

Do we not have a wonderful God.

Thankyou Lord for saving me.

• 2 months later...

No, because we in ourselves are unable to attain perfection. God wants Abraham to be obedient and do what is right in the eyes of the Lord. God see me thorough the shed blood of Jesus Christ, so through that blood I can walk before Him and serve Him blamelessly in the new covenant. We are also blessed with the indwelling Holy Spirit, who guides us in to all the things of God, and helps me to live righteously before God in Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (17:1-2)

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

No, God is not requiring moral perfection, but He does want Abraham to be upright and sincere in all he does; honouring God by acts of faith. We know a state of sinlessness is not attainable in this life and can only be had through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. God does expect us, like Abraham, to serve Him faithfully, living a righteous life; determined to obey all His commandments. We are also to

• 2 weeks later...

Since God knows we are not perfect and covers us in His grace, I'm sure He knows we cannot lead such a life. I believe what He means when He tells Abraham to walk blameless is to consider all God has taught him so far and do not deviate from what he knows to be right. Though Abraham himself passed down moral teaching to his descendants, we today have the Bible to refer to if we have any questions on what to do in situations. Since we have lessons from the Mighty Savior, THE Teacher of faith (in Him), I believe we can be expected more understanding of what moral perfection is since we have seen (read) the example for ourselves.

• 1 month later...

When God tells Abraham, "Walk before me and be blameless," is he requiring moral perfection?

I do not think God was asking for perfection, but rather devotion and the absolute act of trying to one's best ability. He wanted Abraham to keep his side of the bargain and to serve Him as the Living God.

What kind of blamelessness does he require of Abraham?

God expects Abraham to live an upright and righteous life before Him....to keep the laws and serve only Him.

I think that God's expectations are the same for us as Christains under the new covenant, the price has been paid for us but He does want us to live a righteous life and follow His word.

• 1 month later...

I think that God is requiring moral perfection. God is requiring Abraham to be obedient to the things which He has asked him to do.

As Christians we are expected to live a moral and righteous life through God's Son, and this can be done if we put our trust in Him.

• 5 months later...

God is not requiring from Abraham moral perfection. He is requiring from Abraham as he is requiring from us in the new covenant a submission to Him. For Abraham it was a submission to what God said to him verbally since the Word and even the Law was not yet written. But God expected him to comply with what He said. He expected Abraham to live a righteous life before him. He would definitely make mistakes and slip up but his desire was to please his Lord and God.

God requires the same from us. God does not have to speak verbally to each of us as He did Abraham because not He gave us His Word. We know what God requires of us. Like Abraham we are to submit to His control in our lives. Yes we will slip up but our desire should be to please Him in every area of our life!