JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Blaming God

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

I think we blame God for evil because we know He is the Almighty. The first place we go to blame someone is God.

According to scripture God does not and cannot tempt us with evil. He is a holy God. He is a rightous God. He cannot tempt any sinner with evil either.

Jesus came to deliver us from this present evil world.

God allows us to sin because He has given us our free will. There is sin in the world because of the fall of man, but,

God is a Holy God and sent His Son ro give us abundant life.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil? Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? Why does he allow people to sin? Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

I think we blame God for evil because we know He is the Almighty. The first place we go to blame someone is God.

According to scripture God does not and cannot tempt us with evil. He is a holy God. He is a rightous God. He cannot tempt any sinner with evil either.

Jesus came to deliver us from this present evil world.

God allows us to sin because He has given us our free will. There is sin in the world because of the fall of man, but,

God is a Holy God and sent His Son to give us abundant life.

• 2 months later...

I think people blame God for evil because deep down they know that God is in charge of everything in the world. Therefore, they figure that God must be 'making' evil happen. Also, I think people have that tendency to need to blame someone for evil happening and if there is no person for them to blame, they resort to blaming God. God does NOT tempt us with evil - He allows the temptations. The Lord has given mankind a free will. We can choose to accept His offer of friendship and grow to know Him better, or we can reject His offer and simply blame Him for everything. I think He allows evil to exist in order to give us a choice of who to serve - as Joshua 24 states in verse 15 "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

• 2 months later...

Why do people blame God for evil? Because in our finite and limited mind we want what is best for us, but in God bigger plan what may seems to be best for us may not necessary be the best.

Does God tempt us with evil? No, throughout the Bible never was it mentioned that God tempt us with evil, take the case of Job including Jesus. God never tempy us with evil, God only test our faith. It is us being human and in the form of fallen nature open our thoughts and mind to evil.

Why does he allow people to sin? No, God never allow people to sin. It is by the freedom of choice that people choose to sin.

Why does he allow evil to exist at all? If it had not been so that our faith are false, it is through evil that exist makes us all the more that we need Him. We need Jesus to come into our life to mend that broken relationship and bridge us across to God. If it had not being so this wouldnt be part of God's plan. Since day one when Adam and Eve have disobey God instruction and sin, evil begin to exist from then onwards because we are able to differentiate right from wrong, good from evil.

• 3 weeks later...

People blame God for evil, because they lack of trust and faith in Him. When God allows certain bad event to happen in our life sometimes these are part of His bigger plan which we cant see with our little eyes or finite brain. Think about the Tsunami that take thousands of life can people blame God for that. Yes, maybe some might and some might not but certainly that was part of His bigger plan for something big.

No, God does not tempt us with evil, it is sometime our weak nature that makes us playing with fire, and ended up getting ourself burnt.

No, God does not tempt sinful people with evil, these sinful people are already living in their own nature of sin so how can God tempt sinful people with evil.

God allow people to sin so that through it, they can realised and come back to our senses how much all the more we need to depend on Him and by demonstration our love for Him we should try to stay clear from sin by relying on His strength then on our own.

He allow evil to exist so that through it, it can show how mighty and powerful is our God, even before evil can do anything they have to seek God permission (Job is a good example and the temptation of Jesus Chris is also another good example, all this happen because God gave the permission for evil to do so)

• 1 month later...

Because we believe God we think we are immune to evil and this is against Gods word. We just don't want to face the other side of life we want things to keep running smoothly forgetting that our strength and faith increases through test and trials.

God does not tempt anyone with evil James 1:13 whether believer or sinner.

I think God does not want to force His will on anyone and never ask anyone to sin but rather gave all free will to choose between good and bad.

God allow evil to exist so that we will be able to exercise the freewill power He gave us and for our strength and faith in Him to be tested and approved

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once said mentioned to me that it shouldn't be called "falling into sin." In reality, we JUMP into sin, because our own evil desires lead us there.

God does not tempt to evil, but he allows us to be tempted. And He may send tests designed to refine our faith.

James is not about a conflict or controversy between justification by faith or justification by works, as Angus said in his introduction. It is about the fact that untested faith, faith out of which no good work grows, is not the deep, real faith we should have. It is about the fact that once we get a handle on what God has done for us, good works will spring from that.

And we might try harder, and find more success, in fighting sin when we stop trying to blame God for tempting us and remember that our own evil desires lead us away.

Sue

Amen to this, Sue.

An innate but misleading belief in God's sovereignty and power leads many to hold God responsible for evil. It's really a misunderstanding of the presence and power of the evil one and our own evil hearts. As clearly as James puts it, we sin when we are lead away by our own temptation. God has already given us the freedom to choice whom we may serve. When we sin we make a choice, therefore the consequences are also ours. The evil ball started when man fell and so did the consequences of that choice- sin and evil in our world.

• 4 weeks later...

One reason I think that people blame God for evil is because evil is in the world and God is Creator so they attribute Him with the source of evil. Also as humans we always want to put the blame for our problems on someone other than ourselves. God tempts no one with evil, sinners nor believers. I don't think God allows people to sin, people chose to do that themselves. He allows the temptations or trials to come a person's way to test us to see if in using our free will whether we will sin or not. The trial or temptation is a way for God to strengthen us, believe and depend on Him more.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it is just because they need someone to blame and they don't have a clear picture of God and His holiness. As we become spiritually mature, we realize God's holiness and the impossibility of any type of evil coming from God. We also have to realize that whatever God does, it is right for His purposes and He is perfect. If God chooses to send an earthquake, it is right in His eyes. His ways are not our ways and we may not understand. An earthquake may be His way of destroying a lot of evil and waking up a nation. Who are we to say. Read the Old Testament.

God never tempts anyone with evil because He is not capable of evil Himself. The Bible clearly states that Satan is where temptations come from, even when it came to Jesus.

God gives us the option of obeying Him or sinning. He wants us to obey Him out of love for Him. He did not make us puppets. I could design a robot to say he loves me whenever I ask him but does he really love me? Of course not. He is programmed to say what I tell him and there would be no satisfaction in that. God gives us good things, He loves us with a selfless love which He proved when He sent Jesus to the cross for us. He wants us to love Him because of who He is, not because we are forced. There is no pleasure in a forced love.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi me again.

People blame God because they need to blame someone other than themselves.

They are trying to do it all on their own, I can relate, and it is just not working so they blame.

Arrogance and pride I think come in here, too proud to blame themselves so lets blame . . . I know God.

If they only knew how much it hurts God when we hurt and how much He wants to comfort us and love us, they would be floored.

We are naturally sinful, but we don't like to think of ourselves as bad or evil or no good we look for a scape goat and it is usally God, not the devil.

The devil is very crafty and will direct our thoughts to blaming God! That is his nature to pull us away from the good and into the bad and evil as far as possible, maybe even to joing him and his gang.

When we read the Bible we are warned about satan and what do when he comes to tempt us, flee the devil and come into my arms, flee the devil with scripture, he hates that, although he can quote scripture too but not in the loving way in his own preverted way to get us to come to him.

God is in control of all things even the bad things that happen in the world, after all He made it and He can destroy it, like the flood and Sodom and Gamorrah. But He wants all of us to be saved before the end times so He gives us chance after chance, but there is a limit, God will not be mocked.

God is so awsome, I love Him and His precepts and I am comforted when He tells me in His Book that He is in control.

Margaret

• 6 months later...

I believe they blame him because they have not studyed his word.And don't know the promises he will give , if you believe in him and walk with him.Him being GOD. No he does not tempt you or sinful people.He is a BIG LOVING GOD!And he wants every body to be loving and caring and saved.He allows people to sin because that is who we are. Flesh.And you can either do it GODS way or satan's way.I suggest GOD'S way.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that we blame God for evil because we don’t know who else to blame for it. He doesn’t tempt sinful people with evil but is the evil in the people that bring on the sins of the world. He lets evil to exist so that He can see how we handle the situations. It brings us closer to God when evil attacks us.

I do not blame God for my trials. He does not tempt us. I believe the trials I have faced have made my walk with the Lord and my faith in Him stronger. As long as we live in this world of sin we are sufject to the things the rest of the world is subject to. It rains on the just and the unjust. We have a choice to make when we have a trial and we can choose to trust the Lord and walk with Him or blame Him and walk away and follow the enemy of our soul. I have been through some major trials but I tell people that I have learned things about myself, the Lord and my relationship with the Lord that I would never have learned any other way. I have lost a son, my husband and I was seriously injured in the acto accident in which my husband was killed. I am still suffering from the injuries I received but I have gone from a lep of faith to an enduring faith on this journey.The Lord is in charge of my life and I am where He wants me to be and He is using me to help others along the way.

jackier1937

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

People blame God because they don't want to accept the blame themselves. As we humans so often do, we blame someone else. It's always someone else's fault. Adam did it, Eve did it. In order for us to have free will, God must allow the existence of evil and sin. But He does not tempt us or cause us to sin. We sin of our own accord - our own sinful desires and shortcomings lead us down that road.

These two questions: "Does God tempt us with evil? Does he tempt sinful people with evil? " They make it sound like Christians are not sinful. 'All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.' Christians and non-Christians alike are sinful - and God does not tempt either group. However, Christians' sins are forgiven and covered with the blood of Jesus.

As a mother, I try to imagine what it would be like for my kids to always obey me and always act lovingly toward me, because they could not do wrong. It would be great! However, how much greater is it when they come to me of their own accord and express their love and appreciation for me? Loving someone because they want to, is much more powerful than loving because you have to. I think the same goes for us and our love for God. He wants us to desire to love Him, not be forced.

• 1 month later...

Good question. I think some people blame God because they figure that He's God and in control of all things so he should stop evil from happening and the fact that He doesn't makes Him responsible for it.

God does not tempt us with evil. "For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when....."(1:13-14) It is not in God's nature to be associated with evil in any way and He certainly does not incite anyone to sin.

Right from the creation of Adam and Eve, God has given people the option to follow Him or not to follow Him. We have free will in this matter. If God had created us so that we could not choose, then we would lose some of the image of God that we are created in and we would be more like programmed computers that have no thoughts or abilities other than what God would have put in. In my experience, most people would not prefer that type of reality.

I don't fully understand God's plan and the existence of evil. I have some ideas on the matter, but they aren't completely satisfactory in my mind, so I will remain patient on this topic until I reach heaven and can have a fuller understanding. I think that God wanted people to have the choice of who they will serve, not just one option. I think that He wanted to send Jesus to the world as the ultimate example of love, sacrifice and justice, thus demonstrating to all of creation His perfect character. I also know that God has a plan to put an end to sin and evil once and for all, but I sometimes question His timing.....why not do that right now? I guess it's because there are still those who will come to salvation. By faith I have to trust in His timing whether I understand it or not.

These are difficult questions to answer. I look forward to further insight.

• 1 month later...

I laid my father to rest this week and my son has cancer, do I blame God?

Well in my father's case I thank God for a wonderful father, I wanted him to be with me always, but at 92 I have been blessed to have him so long.

Should I blame God for my son's cancer.

I think before we blame God for anything we shoud be sure we are right.

Right now I am thanking God for a nice son.

It seems that the further a person is from God the more likly they are to blame Him for something.

I dn't think God temps us, we do alright at leading ourselves into trouble.

I wish God would remove sin, but then we would not learn, and we would not grow, and we would not have chosen Him against the tide that pulls us in the opposite direction. This builds confidence in ourselves that we can see. This is good for us.

• 4 weeks later...

2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

Because of their unbelieve

Does God tempt us with evil?

God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone.

Does he tempt sinful people with evil?

No ways.

Why does he allow people to sin?

God does not allow people to sin, we are the one who choose to sin

Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

Gen 2v17 God commanded man to eat freely of every tree of the garden and purposely mentioned the tree of life in the midst of the garden for when you eat it you will surely die. Adam choose to disobey God. Man allow himself to be controlled by his human nature

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

The people who blame God for evil or their failures in life are those in darkness.

v 14 A man is tempted to do wrong when he lets himself be led by what his bad thoughts tell him to do. GOD DOES WILL NEVER TEMPT ANYONE

GOD WILL NEVER TEMPT ANYONE.

Everyone has choice, You can choose to sin or choose to obey God. Genesis 2 v 16 - 17 The Lord God told the man, “You are free to eat from any tree of the garden. 17 But do not eat from the tree of learning of good and bad. For the day you eat from it you will die for sure.” GOD GAVE ADAM FREE WILL. ADAM HE WANTED SIN. HE COULD HAVE CHOSEN THE TREE OF LIFE. SO ARE WE.You can choose to obey God or choose to disobey Him.

• 6 months later...

Q2. (1:13-15) Why do people blame God for evil?

It's all too easy to blame God for everything. People blame God for the ills of the world to give themselves an excuse for not being Christians. "I can't believe in a god who will allow children to die" . . . that sort of thing.

Satan does the tempting. He does this within God's Sovereign will. God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what he can endure, but will provide us an escape. It's up to us to take it though. When we give in to temptation we are, in effect, rejecting God's escape route for whatever reason. We most probably enjoy the particular sin we're being tempted to commit and therefore reject God's way out of it which of course is to say no. That may be oversimplifying it, but in the end that's how it is.

No, but He allows Satan to lead them astray. Satan has temporary sway in the world until his time is up and then he will then face eternal torment in the lake of fire. Until then, he will continue to try and spoil God's creation as he's been doing since the fall of humankind.

God created us with a free will. We have to chose how we behave. There's always a choice. The right way is very often the hard way though. Jesus said to do our best to go through the narrow gate because the road to hell is wide and paved with good intentions. That means our righteousness isn't God's righteousness. God's way is for us to live our lives in surrender to Him, not to pursue our own agenda independent of God's plan for us.

Why does he allow evil to exist at all?

That's a difficult question. God knew before He created the Heavens and the Earth that sin would happen, that Satan would rebel. He knew that and yet He still went ahead and created him! It all comes down to God being a holy being. No one can really understand true holiness. The absolute purity of God is such that He cannot look upon sin. Although the world has existed for what seems like forever, in God's view it's still relatively new. Forever is another concept we can't grasp. A thousand years is like a single day in God's timetable. He has a long range plan to banish sin and imperfection forever, but to do it right . . . according to His holiness . . . he is taking His time and letting Satan and evil in general run their course. God desires worship. In the long run the whole Universe will worship Him as creator and God. Therefore He is in the process of conquering sin and every enemy that has risen against Him so that none will remain and His sovereignty will be unchallenged. For reasons we'll never understand fully, God has chosen to do it the way He's doing it instead of wiping everything out and beginning again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Akkjl

People blame God because they either don't know him or don't know him well. It is impossible to blame God when you begin to understand his great love and forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

The reality is people blame God for evil because they don't want to blame themselves.  People don't want to accept responsibility for the evil in this world.  Evil that has resulted from lawless ungodly decision making.  It is easy to blame God and make Him the scapegoat.

God never tempts anyone with evil nor is God evil or tempted by evil.  Evil is a creature created condition brought about by free will.

The reality is people blame God for evil because they don't want to blame themselves.  People don't want to accept responsibility for the evil in this world.  Evil that has resulted from lawless ungodly decision making.  It is easy to blame God and make Him the scapegoat.

God never tempts anyone with evil nor is God evil or tempted by evil.  Evil is a creature created condition brought about by free will.

• 9 months later...

I think we blame God (or everyone else, for that matter!) because we are 'human' it's in our sinful nature NOT to accept personal responsibility.  God does NOT, and cannot, tempt us or be tempted by sin ... He may allow it to build our faith and our character - to make us mature - and to draw us to Him.