JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doublemindedness

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trials teach us humility as we identify the errors we make,and seek his forgiveness. Trials help us to grow in our faith,to be strong in the knowledge and love of Jesus. We can stand firm, not doubt and waver, but focusing on His word live lives accordinging to His word. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Often I find myself dealing with the same situations, conflicts, people. God has allowed the 'lesson' to return. It is the frustration that lets me examine the attitude of my heart and that is when I detect the double mindedness. It is then I can seek the strategy with the faith to learn the lesson. This helps me 'evolve' in the journey. The trials often become the punctuation point at the end of the sentence. In my pain I often retreat - disarm myself and in real desparation seek the Lord.

I think that trials make you choose one way or another! It brings a decision to a head. It is SO easy to be double minded and tossed around by the sea of life in this society. If I take my lead from society, especially the humanistic and hedonistic view that it is all about "me", then it is not going to match the Word of God! I am unsettled when my humanity and sinful nature get in the way! I am like someone tossed around by the sea. I think I have spent many years being thrown around and it is in facing trials that I have grown in my faith. It is in trials that I have recognised my lack of God's influence in my life, that the world has sometimes had my ear more than God. It is in these trials that I have moved to a "more stable" place of standing on His word and in that hearing His voice. A voice that is very different to the world. As I turn up God's word and turn down my TV I am finding I am less double-minded and more growing in my faith.

So trials have definitely helped to cure me of doublemindedness and grow in my faith. I think trials also expose blind spots of doublemindedness. Its not in the text here but I think that doublemindedness is not always something that happens immediately. I think it can be a gradual process, being enticed and dragged away. A bit like going for a swim in the ocean and not noticing the tide change, or the storm brewing until it is too late and we are being thrown around. At that point I think a trial exposes the doublemindedness that we have walked into, and it is at that point that God's wisdom is required rather than the world. And it is in returning to God and making Jesus Lord of our life that we can grow and remain in the faith.

Dr Ralph and the others in the forum have said it all so well, which is impressive because man these are hard questions!!- I want some easy ones LOL

But seriously, James recognises that we need Divine wisdom through trials

• 2 weeks later...

Doublemindedness?????As long as we look at life through a human filter we will doubt God and his ability to do super natural works through us and in us.Only through a God filter will we see his true awesome power.The word of God is the filter we need to see the world through,only when we are focused on him can we be truely cured of doublemindedness.

• 1 month later...

Trials can lead us to trust God and resolve in us that He will work all things for our good. I believe every Chistian at some point battles doublemindedness; perhaps that is why the trial we face help us be more settled in Him. It is as we look back at each trial that we can reflect on the goodness of God.

Our faith cannot grow if it is not tried or tested. Strong faith came out of strong trials. God will need to have us strengthened in our faith if He is to trust us with bigger kingdom responsibilities. If he tells us to do something we have to have faith and not question or have all the facts in front of us. As we take 1 step at a time we begin to grow in faith.

• 3 weeks later...

Trials force us to make a choice to completely rely on God or turn our backs on Him and attempt to get through it ourselves. When we put all our faith in God and hand over everything to Him, He will always be there for us, no matter what, and when we finally realize that, we will learn to do it consistently every time we face a trial. Therefore, trials cure us of doubting God, because as humans we learn through example and naturally turn to whatever has been proven to work for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Trials and temptations require that we make choices. When we choose to follow the Spirit's leading, we are strengthened. Each "success" over sin increases our faith and decreases our doublemindedness. We become more and more like Christ when we overcome trials and temptations.

When I go through trials and/or temptations I think and try to clear my mind. How does this compare to my understanding of God and Christ teachings? I have gone and reacted poorly and then had to ask for forgiveness. But now at work when I'm confronted with people's negativity I try to be a voice of reason or I don't say anything in return trying to stop heated arguements. For me my doubts that I continue to wrestle with because I'm not getting my way help me to devolpe patience and perseverance. I'm able to study all sides of the situation giving God my view point and how I should have or be a certain way. He hasn't said that I was right yet. I haven't gotten a clear sense that he has changed his mind on anything. So I wait and pray for strength. My trials have mmade me more understanding and caring toward other people.

• 5 months later...

Answer:

1 How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness

Now we know that indeed we are a Child of GOD.

Hebrews 12:7-8 - If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?8 -But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

3." How do trials help us grow in faith?

Luke 17:5-And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

Faith is one of the most important virtues that God has for man.It is the only one,stated bt the Bible as both FRUIT and a GIFT, of the Spirit.

FAITH as FRUIT-Galatians 5:22-23- 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

FAITH as GIFT-1 Cor 12:8-10- For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another.

Grace alone cannot save us,for Grace has appeared to all men(Titus 2:11- For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,)..,YET WE KNOW NOT ALL MEN ARE SAVED.

It need a combination of FAITH and GRACE for any man to be saved(Eph 2: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:)

I think Faith is not something that will grow,I think that we have all the same measure of Faith,from God(Romans 12:3 -For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith)...and it depends How we use that Faith,in our daily life,whether we are tempted or not..

His disciple ask Jesus to increase their Faith in Gospel of Luke:

Luke 17:5-And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

But Jesus reply:

Luke 17:6- And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

I think what Jesus mean here,is that We don

During trials, I feel we have to make a chioce to believe the word of God with all our heart or not to. The only way we can keep our peace and assurance is by believing with all our heart. That pushes double mindedmess away. I feel trials help us grow in faith because we choose to believe the wrod with all our heart and press into the word of God.

• 2 months later...

as you stated, trials have a way of forcing us to come to grips with our faith vs. our sin. I know I'm not righteous, but the blood of Jesus has given me His righteousness. . . for which He bore my sins - such a deal! Nonetheless, I still struggle with myself and with the forces of evil that try to entrap me. At those times of trial, I know that calling on the name of Jesus will give me the strength I need to resist. Depending on the Lord not only helps to cure 'double-mindedness' it also grows my faith as He is faithful to answer my call.

• 2 months later...

Trials help to cure us of doubelmindedness - it is because when trials come our way, we know our human fallen nature and in faith we know it is only God that can help us, it is precisely in this perspective that God allows trials on us to help us to grow in faith and our dependance and reliance on Him.

"Thank You, Lord, for the trials that come my way

In the way I can grow each day, as I let You lead.

And I thank You, Lord, for the patience those trials bring

In the process of growing, I can learn to care." [Lyrics from Thank You Lord]

• 2 months later...

When we come to a place when we are willing to tell sin this is sin then we are ready to get rid of doublemindedness. We must be ale to tell Satan 'get thee behind me'. When trials come and we are really pressed hard we are forced to focus on God for help at this point we are identify our weaknesses and with God's help repent and see the hold of these sins break and lose their power.

After all these when we look back to see all we went through we smile and are able to count it joy since it is during this time we are able to see what God is telling us and are able to change and are ready for another level.

• 1 month later...

God's blessings

I never knew what double minded meant and some one explained it to me this way; you pray but in the back of your mind your thinking if it doesn't work out I can always do it myself. God wants us to rely soley on Him for everything. It is very hard to break away from "doing it myself but I will pray just in case". We are born in sin and we turn there every time. God wants to be the only thing on our minds make that our hearts because what is in your heart is on your mind.

Trials make us grow in faith, becasue we learn that we can trust God. He will do what He says, in His time but He is reliable and true and loving and soverign.

• 7 months later...

Trials help us cure our “double-mindedness” by having us depend on our Lord in these circumstances. If we hold on and don’t wander because of our trials then we can look back and see that the Lord was with us through the whole trial. That is what helps us grow in our faith.

• 4 months later...

I think that trials put us in a place to take a stand or make some sort of decision about what we believe. It puts our faith to the test. Do we really believe God can...? We may be hesitant, unsure, doubleminded about certain things, and our trials can put those things right in front of us and we must make a decison to trust God or not. It is where the rubber hits the road. Are we walking the walk or just talking the talk?

• 1 month later...

Trials push our limits in the Christian faith. God promises that He will never allow trials in our lives that are more than we can bear with His strength, but there is no doubt that trials push us farther than we would ever choose to go, much like an athlete in training must push harder and push through the pain to progress in her sport. As our faith is exercised, like a muscle, it grows stronger. I have found this to be true in my own life. When I face trials today, I can look back and remember how God has remained faithful to me in past trials and this gives me added strength to face the new ones. I think this cures "doublemindedness" because we no longer have doubts that God is going to come through for us. In James 1:5 He promises wisdom for those who ask. I need to take Him at His word and trust that He will give me that divine wisdom, especially in the midst of a trial.

• 9 months later...

Trials force us to make decisions.  In making the right decision when dealing with a trial depends on what we believe.  Ultimately that belief is based on who we believe.  Do we believe the answer lies in God or the world?  Really, that is the choice.  Trials force us to determine who we  believe and what counsel we are going to take.  As a believer puts their faith and trust in God in dealing with any given situation and God sees them through that situation it builds a track record and confidence in God.  This cures us of "doublemindedness."  It all begins with believing God's Word which helps us grow in our faith.

Trials force us to make decisions.  In making the right decision when dealing with a trial depends on what we believe.  Ultimately that belief is based on who we believe.  Do we believe the answer lies in God or the world?  Really, that is the choice.  Trials force us to determine who we  believe and what counsel we are going to take.  As a believer puts their faith and trust in God in dealing with any given situation and God sees them through that situation it builds a track record and confidence in God.  This cures us of "doublemindedness."  It all begins with believing God's Word which helps us grow in our faith.

• 9 months later...

If we allow it, trials create an imbalance in us which in turn seems to blur reason.  It is in realising that this is what our sinful nature does - that accepting that our sin-nature is fertile ground for Satan (and our wild imaginations) to create havoc - it is accepting that God is our only 'safety net' when going through trials and that it is our choice to focus on God, hang onto 'faith' - in other words - become single-minded, to 'grow up'. It is a personal choice; a personal responsibility to take hold of that immature  'us' and control it ... there is only one way and that is to submit our lives and our 'world' and our very being to the Lord.

• 4 months later...

To be double minded means lack of faith, immaturity. To be mature is a process and it takes time if not a lifetime to reach it. The bottom line is to lean on God and believe in God's word and the promises given to us by God. That is the only way we can deal with doubt and wavering in our faith.

• 10 months later...

HOW TRIALS HEAL OUR DOUBLEMINDEDNESS.

1. Trials lead us to reflect on our lives, our relationship with

God. We then come to

- identity our sinful character.

- the in surrendered desires Satan entices and lead us to sin.

At these times we he ability to repent and see the hold of

those sins break and loose their power.

2. HOW TRIALS CAUSE OUR FAITH TO GROW.

- They cause us to be single minded, focused on God.

- Cause to make new commitments.

- Cause us to emberk on new direction.