JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Life in the Word

As we study the Bible frequently it gives us light into how we should live our lives being children of God and as you read the "Words of Truth", which God has given us, it changes you inside so that you want and desire to say and do the things that would be pleasing to God. Living the spiritual life and believing on the word is what gives us eternal life with Christ.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:18) In what sense are we given spiritual birth by the "word of truth"? What does spiritual life have to do with the Word?

It is only through the faith we obtain from the word of God the truth that we are born again. The word was God and He put the word above his name. There for we are to except the word to be born again and know him as he is and always will be.

Be doing of the word and not hears only is what we have learned in James and if we are not going to obey then it is a waste of time to read the word so for us to have spiritual life we have to do what is written in the word.

Q1. (1:18) In what sense are we given spiritual birth by the "word of truth"? What does spiritual life have to do with the Word?

The word is life to a Christian. We can't just listen to it and go on we have to live it. We need to dig into it for ourselves. What others can teach us is wonderful and lead us to understanding. If we want God to speak to us we need to read his word. He speaks still today though his word. Thank you Lord. Life and death are in the word of God we need to read it and learn it so we live for him.

We are given birth by being 'Born Again in Christ'. Continued spiritual life is difficult without the Word. For some reason God choses to reveal his every day plans to us also while we dwell on the Word. Our walk with God, or getting mature in Christ is not possible without meditating on the Word of God, apart from prayer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Through the word of truth - our spirit is born again. The Word guards us and sheilds us in this life, so that we can speak it unashamedly. We as christians should read the Word and live by the Word and not by the world. As a new christian I had a hard time understanding what the Word was saying. That was 2 years ago now I hear God speaking to me through the Word all the time. (as long as I keep right with God). There has been a time that I didn't do what the Holy Spirit told me to do and boy did I ever feel like trash I felt like God had left me. But I know he didn't so I asked for forgiviness and made amends. And I was able to hear God very clearly again. So stay in the Word and Do what the Holy Spirit is teaching you. A christian life is never easy but during the hard times you will have the peace that Jesus promised.

• 3 weeks later...

The instrument that makes us grow is the word:

God gives birth to a new creation in the believer. The work of regeneration is God's work. The "word of truth" is the instrument because God honors and uses the word of truth, both written and spoken. The Bible is God's written revelation of Himself to sinful men and His message is clear (Acts 4:12; Rom. 3:23; 6:23). It is by the truth of God that we are set free from sin and error. Jesus makes this clear in John 8:31.

The "word of truth" is the gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:13; Col. 15) and the word of life (1 John 1:1). God's word is the truth (John 17:17), and the words of Jesus are spirit and life to the spiritually dead (John 6:63). The word of truth quickens unto life (2 Cor. 6:7). "James emphasizes the importance of the human element in the new birth, while rightly making God supreme in the act of regeneration. We must reach men with the word of God" (Robertson).

He reminds us that it is the Word of God that makes our faith grow -- expressed in our actions. "Faith comes by hearing," says the Apostle Paul, "and hearing by the word of God," (Romans 10:17 KJV). And I have never seen anybody grow strong in faith who neglected the reading of the Bible. How can we expect to know the great thoughts of God, the deep things of God, the underlying secrets of life, unless we spend time with the book that reveals them? There is no other source. No university in the land moves at all into this realm of unveiling the secrets of life. So, let your faith grow by rejoicing in trial and by understanding and doing the word.

• 2 months later...

I THINK WE ARE GIVEN SPIRITUAL BIRTH BY THE WORD OF TRUTH WHEN WE HEAR AND RECEIVE THE WORD OF GOD WITH FAITH IN OUR HEARTS . JESUS TOLD NICODEMUS YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN, NOT OF THE FLESH BUT OF THE SPIRIT.WELL, FOR NICODEMUS TO RECEIVE SPIRITUAL BIRTH, HE HAD TO HEAR THE WORD OF TRUTH SPOKEN BY JESUS AND RECEIVE IT IN HIS HEART IN ORDER TO BE SAVED.

SPIRITUAL LIFE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE WORD,I BELIEVE .THE WORD IS GOD, THE WORD IS LIVING, THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH, THAT IS THE WORD BECAME A MAN....JESUS CHRIST... AND DWELT AMONG US.WITHOUT THE WORD OF GOD MY SPIRITUAL LIFE WOULD BE EMPTY..THE WORD IS SPIRITUAL FOOD ...THE WORD OF GOD FEEDS MY SPIRIT MAN SO THAT I CAN BE STRONG TO FACE THE BATTLES OF THIS LIFE....PROVERBS SAYS THE WORD IS LIFE TO THOSE WHO FIND IT AND HEALTH TO ALL THEIR FLESH...WE NEED TO DO LIKE JEREMAIH SAYS...EAT THE WORD...GOD BLESS...

• 1 month later...

By hearing the Word, faith is birthed. We become born again.The Word should underpin our daily walk with God. It should be a treasure store of resources to us in dealing with any and all situations in our Christian lives.

• 2 weeks later...

God's Word (as the world calls it - The Bible) is not just a nice book with lots of stories. It is Spirit-filled and God breathed (II Timothy 3:16) and is what our faith is built upon. We live (or should) are lives based on the truth that God's Word reveals in us. His Spirit spurns us towards the truth and we grasp it. That is all we do. Our faith is totally built upon God's promises in our lives and those promises give us life and we find those promises in His Word.

• 3 weeks later...

We are given spiritual birth by the word of God, also by ( circumcision of our hearts )

When we become a believer in Christ Jesus we must be born again, old things have passed.

It starts by the renewing of our minds and that happens as we read and study the word of God. :D

We can hear and study the word of God, but it must go to our hearts, that is called circumcision of the heart, the yuk :angry: is taken out and replaced by the word of God, for the heart is wicked, and it is only God that can see the true state of our heart. :wub:

The word of God is our spiritual food, just as we need food to be able to live in the natural, we also need food for our spirit, ( what happens in the natural also happens in the spirit. )

Praise you Jesus, I thank you with all my heart. AMEN. :wub:

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The word of truth which is the word of God gives us spritual birth in that we are reborn when we let Christ into our lives. By following the word of God and making a commitmet to Christ the Holy Spirit will come into our hearts. The Holy Spirit will guide us and we should not rely on the flesh but let the Holy Spirit control us.

Q1. (1:18) In what sense are we given spiritual birth by the "word of truth"?

Through the word of truth we come to know God, we come to know the meaning of true repentance, we come to know true faith. We cannot be born again until we have repented of our sins and accepted Jesus as our saviour. The word of truth helps, guides and show us the way.

What does spiritual life have to do with the Word?

Once we are born again the Word is food for our souls. To grow spiritualy we must continue in the word to mature and develop. We never stop learning and we never stop growing until the final day when we are perfected in the name of Jesus Christ, i.e. he makes into who he always destined us to be.

• 1 month later...

I have only been in one other Bible study before this one. (online or "real") I'm having a hard time responding to these questions without feeling like I am just parroting back what I just read.

I guess I'll just respond to the second part of the question...

I think your spiritual life better have everything to do with the Word. Prayer is great, church is great, even listening to Christian radio can be a part of your "spiritual life", but unless you are rooted in the Word, you aren't going to grow and flourish in your relationship with God. I really don't have as strong a background in what the Bible actually says as I should. I have been a Christian since I was eight, but I absorbed all sorts of ideas and beliefs along the way that didn't really come from God's word, but from the traditions of whatever denomination I happened to be attending. Within the past few years, we had a pastor that preached some things I hadn't ever heard before...I'm still not sure I agree with what he preached, but it taught me the importance of knowing God's Word so I can recognize false doctrine when I hear it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before I became a Christian I had no idea what scripture had to say about the life I was living. Since surrendering to the Lord He has opened the words to me and this is what I believe is giving the Spiritual birth by the word of truth. I also have to mention that I would riddle myself with guilt while reading the word from my past experiences and I could relate with the person who mentioned about pulling an eye out. I know that this ugly stuff has to do with Satan.

Praise God that He never lets go.

This question has given rise to more questions for me and how "word" and "truth" relate to other passages and what the original Greek words are. For example: Jesus is spoken of as the "Word" in John 1, 1 John 5:7, and Jesus refers to Himself as "Truth." There is some deep mystery here, I believe, that reveals the nature of Jesus in His relationship with God and the Holy Spirit. I wish I had a English/Greek Bible! This has inspired me to get one and to see if the words for word and truth in the passages I just spoke of are the same Greek word.

Anyway, despite all this, Jesus' message is simple: the words He spoke that He commanded us to live by that are written for us in the Bible (believing He is the Son, confessing sins, repentance, baptism, etc.) are those heart actions which the Lord sees in us and which causes Him to bestow spiritual birth to us. "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up." "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." With this "birth" begins our spiritual "life," and as with our fleshly life we must nourish it to grow, we must also nourish our spirit so that we grow in our spiritual life (keeping ourselves unspotted from the world, walking in the light as He is in the light, hearing the word and doing it, asking God for wisdom, loving God and others, etc.). How do we accomplish these heart choices in our spiritual life? They are directly related to the Word. "And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God..." The Word is our spiritual nourishment so that we may grow. "...as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby."

"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need somone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (1:18) In what sense are we given spiritual birth by the "word of truth"? What does spiritual life have to do with the Word? The word creates faith. The more we listen to the word the more we grow spiritually and the more we find everlasting life. This is done through talking to God and relying on his Holy Spirit to guide us.

Brother Peter admonishes us, as newborn babes, to desire the sincere milk of the word (1 Peter 2:2). It is by hearing the Word of God that brought us to the Lord in the first place, therefore it is the Word that gave birth to us. Similarly, in order for us to grow we need to continually be fed on the milk and the meat of the Word. Only by growing in the Word are we able to maintain a spiritual life.

It is needful to remember that Jesus is the Word.

• 2 months later...

In what sense are we given spiritual birth by the "word of truth"? What does spiritual life have to do with the Word?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He ws with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made, without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men." John 1:1-4

We are given spiritual birth by the word and the word is Him who created us. It is through His word that He draws us near, that He communicates with us, that He feeds us spiritually as food feeds us physically. As Christ said at the Last Supper 'This is my body'. We need bread (meaning food) to sustain us physically just as we need Christ to sustain us spiritually.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

The "word of truth" is the gospel , the good news that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and by believing in Him and repenting of our sins we have eternal life. The word is like the mirror that shows us our true nature and any pollution that comes from the filth of the world. Our spiritual life is sustained by the "Word" and guided by it.

Bini

Jesus is the Word, the gospel of our salvation. We are given spiritual birth by the word of truth by believing, trusting and having faith in the word. When we believe in the word, this begets faith. We hear the message or the word of Christ and by having faith in it we are spiritually re-born.