JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:)

Good Saturday morning to all my fellow students of the Word! :D

Q3. What is this "perfect law" that James mentions? How would you define it? How does it relate to the "royal law" (2:8)? In what sense does it bring liberty?

The perfect law is "love" is agape of course. It is the law of the Spirit of love.

Unselfish love. God's kind of love. 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love.

I believe they are the same.

The perfect law of liberty is the law of love. Loving God and loving one's neighbor sums up the Law (Matt. 26:36-40). It is Christ's love (Eph 3:17-19) that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be albe to comprehend with all the saitnts what is the width and and length and depthand height -- to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

We are to be rooted and grounded in this "royal law of love."

It brings liberty by getting us out of the rut of don't do this and don't do that and how much can I do or not do before I sin kind of religion but -----

if the Son sets you free you are free indeed meaning I am free to love because God first loved me and sent His Son to die for me. My future is taken care of so that I can live day by day in loving God and loving others by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Just my thoughts!

SB8 for Jesus

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect law is love. Everything revolves around love. Relationships, giving, forgiveness.

The royal law is "love your neighbor as yourself". Jesus wants us to love each other just as we are-with all our faults and shortcomings. I believe He does not want us to judge one another.

Loving your neighbor as yourself brings liberty because we stop judging others and thus stop focusing negatively on others. The time we spend then is spent on our relationship with God and what we can do to help those around us.

Q3. What is this "perfect law" that James mentions? How would you define it? How does it relate to the "royal law" (2:8)? In what sense does it bring liberty?

The perfect law is simply love. It was out of love that the perfect Lamb of God died for us. The perfect law brings liberty because when we truly love God, we will certainly want to do His will. The perfect law sets us free from sin!

Q3. What is this "perfect law" that James mentions? How would you

define it? How does it relate to the "royal law" (2:8)? In what

sense does it bring liberty?

The perfect law to me is love. We are commanded to love one another

Rom 13:8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.

Rom 13:9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness,"* "You shall not covet,"* and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."*

Rom 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

When we learn to love others the way Christ loves us we full fill the perfect law. And doing so we become free from anything that holds us back from loving God and others. :rolleyes:

The perfect law is the commandment that Jesus taught. Love your neighbour as yourself. Love is the highest value we can have--- not a love of worldly goods, but the love placed in your heart.

We are to love one another as God has loved us. It frees us from the royal law or law of man.

Pure love has been placed in our hearts, but it is up to us to relaese it and to use it to fulfill God's desire for us and our fellow man.

What is this perfect law that James mentions? How would you define it? How does it relate to theroyal law? In what sense does it bring liberty?

The perfect law is God. It is the essence of who He is. It is His character, His glory, His holiness, His perfectness, His goodness. He is perfect love and that is the royal law. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (john 3:16). That brings us liberty. We are no longer slaves to sin but sons "having predestined us into the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the pleasure of His will (Ephesians 1:5)

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The perfect law that was mentioned by James was the same royal law that was decreed by the king of the kigdom Jesus "Love your neighbor as yourself!" And though it is difficult to define it one can say that it is the best one can give for no one hates self and likes others as self he had given all he can, as Jesus gave His life for us. And this for sure brings liberty from self love which is binding and fleshly.

What is the "perfect law" that James mentions?

The law of liberty that we have through the Spirit of God, where th Spirit of the Lord is there's liberity.

How would you define it?

Having the peace of God with the love of God in our hearts,that we may even love those that don't love us.

How does it relate to the "royal law"?

To have the "perfect law" into operation, you must and will be in the maturity of the word of God causing the "royal law" to begin to coming forth from your life, to love thy neighbor as thy self.

In what sense does it bring liberity?

Where you freely give it will be given.

Richard S.

The perfect law is loving your neighbor as you love yourself. I must say "perfect love" comes only through Christ Jesus. The perfect law is the love that can only come through Christ.

I can only define this pefect law as I help those that are in need such as widows, children, and those that are without. I could do this in the flesh, just to satisfy myself. Without Christ Jesus in my live, this would mean nothing. I have the love of Christ in my heart, therefore, I want to please Him because of His love for me.

The "royal law" will be fulfilled in you as you love others as you love yourself. Jesus taught we should love one another as He loves us.

This loving one another as we love ourselves fulfills the perfect law of God. You see, we are accountable for the way we handle the law of God.

The perfect law is the law of love. God is love and when we see Jesus, we see the Father. How do we love as Jesus does? The Word in us that produces springs of living water is love. Jesus in us is love, when we allow Jesus to grow in us, when we are transformed into His likeness, it is His love that is inside us. The royal law, loving the neighbour as oneself, in relation to the perfect law is that the model for loving is the love of Jesus. We have to love ourselves and others as Jesus loves us, unconditionally.

When we don

Being a hearer and doer of the work we will be happy in doing it. Royal law is must love your neighbor as yourself but if we make a false step we become an offender against all.

Q3. What is this "perfect law" that James mentions?

The perfect law is the law of love: to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. God is love.

How would you define it?I would say that being right does not make you righteous. It is the spirit in which instruction or the word is given. Some brothers and sisters get so caught up in "knowing" what is right and wrong and telling everyone around them about it that they forget that it is the letter of the law that brings death, but the spirit that brings life. We should ache to minister to others as the Lord does to each one of us: with patience, kindness, "quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry", and with all gentleness of the Holy Spirit. When it is God speaking the word and not our own self-righteousness, it will always be kind. We won't need to add any righteous anger in our tone. The word is a double-edged sword that speaks for itself. If their hearts are ready to recieve it, they will, and if not, no amount of shouting will make it so.

How does it relate to the "royal law" (2:8)? I have a hard time distinguishing the two seperately, but I would think that the Royal Law is to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to give to the poor and needy. Poor, needy, afflicted, and fatherless doesn't always mean without money, but also without God: the spirit of life and love. How often has our loving father met us where we were, in the mist of our dark trials, when we are laden with sin just to cry with us? Then when we have been prepared, instructs us in the truth and the word. He doesn't come in and say, "Look at you! This is what my word says and you are on the wrong side of it! You are getting just what you deserve!"

As the old saying goes, " people don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

In what sense does it bring liberty?

It frees us from having to know what to say and do. When the Lord is in control, there is absolute peace and it is easy to follow Him. How freeing it is to not have to decide and be responsible for the outcome. If we just do what He says how the Spirit leads us, it will allways be in His hands!

This, is truly our struggle.

The perfect law is love of God and your neighbor as yourself. God is always first them other and you that is the perfect way to spell joy and any that do that the love of God will be first.

The royal law is the love of Jesus that we are to love others and to respect them and help in all areas we can. We need love to be an action not a word.

Perfect love casts out all fear the word tells us and we know that fear if not of God.

The perfect law is the law of freedom,not forgetting what one has heard,but doing it. It is perfect because it sums up what Jesus taught,"My command is this:Love each other as I have loved you."-Jn 15:12

The perfect law brings liberty because we no longer live in adherence to a written code,but from the love God has placed within us.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

IN THE VERSES PRIOR TO JAMES MENTIONING THE PERFECT LAW, HE SPEAKS A WHOLE LOT ON THE TOPIC OF NOT JUST HEARING BUT DOING THE WORD. IN OTHER WORDS, OBEDIENCE IS NOT JUST HEARING BUT DOING. JESUS ALSO SAID, IF YOU LOVE ME YOU WILL OBEY ME. IN OTHER WORDS, YOU WILL HEAR AND DO. SO I BELIEVE THIS LAW JAMES IS SPEAKING ABOUT IS THE LAW OF LOVE.

I DEFINE THIS LAW AS WALKING OUT THE LOVE OF CHRIST IN US IN A PRACTICAL WAY. RIGHT AFTER JAMES TALKS ABOUT THE PERFECT LAW, HE SPEAKS OF VISITING ORPHANS AND WIDOWS IN THEIR DISTRESS. FOR 33 YEARS OF MY LIFE I WAS UNSAVED AND LIVED SELFISHLY. I TRIED BEING GOOD BY HELPING OUT MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS HERE AND THERE BUT LIFE WAS ALL ABOUT ME. NOW THAT THE LOVE OF CHRIST HAS BEEN SHED ABROAD IN MY HEART BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, I AM A CHANGED PERSON.I DEPEND ON HIM TO FILL ME DAILY WITH HIS AGAPPE LOVE SO I CAN BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS.

I THINK BOTH LAWS ARE BASICALLY THE SAME.THEY BOTH SPEAK OF WALKING IN LOVE BY DOING SOMETHING.THEY BOTH SPEAK OF LOVING AND HELPING OTHERS. TO LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF AND VISITING ORPHANS AND WIDOWS IN THEIR DISTRESS.SO WHEN WE HEAR THE WORD WE ARE TO GO AND DO SOMETHING WITH IT.

IT BRINGS LIBERTY IN THE SENSE THAT WE ARE NO LONGER SELF- CENTERED AND SELF- SEEKING BUT WE BECOME MORE LIKE CHRIST IN THAT WE ARE PUTTING OTHERS FIRST. LOVE SENT JESUS TO THE CROSS; LOVE IS A SACRIFICE. OUR LOVE MUST BE SACRIFICIAL. WE MUST LEARN TO LOVE THE UNLOVELY LIKE CHRIST DID.WHEN WE WALK IN THE SPIRIT OF LOVE WE ARE FREE LIKE JESUS. HE ALWAYS WALKED IN LOVE AND THUS HE WAS FREE FROM HATRED, ANGER, BITTERNESS, STRIFE, ETC.AFTER ALL, WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH LOVE? GOD BLESS........

• 1 month later...

I would define the Perfect Law as being all those things revealed to us by the Word of God and which were commanded by the Lord Jesus, and which He has placed in our hearts. The Perfect Law takes us, I believe beyond the Royal Law, in that it challenges us to ever more higher standards of behaviour for the Lord. The Law of the Lord sets us free, because we do not strive alone, but have the Holy Spirit to help us and also because we know that we are doing God's will if we try to live by his commands. I found this question a tough one to answer!

The Perfect Law is setting your standards based on God's love for you and others and your love for God and others. If love isn't a basis for the principles of Christianity than you will surely break the law. If our desire to follow God's commands is based on love we will not want to break the laws. Of course, following the laws do not make us a Christian but they do give us the liberty to experience God's love in the way it was meant to be experienced. Royal v. Perfect law? In my eyes that would mean following the law of the land for true order to take effect.

• 4 weeks later...

Not just hearing the word of God but living it, ( Walking in the Word of God )

We need to practise what we preach, Not say one thing a do another. :(

We are to love one another and love our neighbor as ourselves. :wub:

If we have a good relationship with the Lord this will be easy because it will be part of us, but if we are not walking with the Lord the way we should we will struggle. :o

Thank you Jesus for loving us unconditionally. :wub:

AMEN.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The perfect law is God's Grace and offers the opportunity to ask God for forgiveness of our sins.

The royal law was given by our King Jesus Christ. John 15:12 "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you".

God bless,

John