JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q8. True Religion

taming the tongue

What we say with our tongue,is a reflection of what's inside our hearts.

If we have sinful or evil thoughts within us,it will come out in our speech.

On the other hand,if our thoughts our pure and pleasing to God,this will become evident in our speech.

caring for the poor

By caring for and giving to those who are poor and in need,we are showing our faith in action. When we care for the poor,we are doing an unselfish act,one that is motivated by love.

quiet time or worship

Having a quiet time or a devotional time is important to our Christian growth,but we need to do more than just read our bibles. We need to take what we have learned and put it into action.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

I'm the type of person that can take a great amount of physical pain without shedding a tear. (broken bones, labor and delivery) However, I have wounds that my Lord is working on healing still to this day that were inflicted by the tongues of those I have loved, and still love. Just to think on them puts a knot in my throat. It seems as if in times of weakness, those harsh words are brought to my mind by a foul spirit seeking to condemn me to my past, and I admit, they still hurt and if I dwell there the tears will come. It is a continuing struggle to keep those thoughts out of my mind when I am weak, and remember that my Lord thinks better of me than that. Some things He has already moved me past, and they don't hurt anymore, however, some wounds linger. An apology has helped immensly in the past with one particular person, however, not all people are willing to do that, and it's still my part to forgive and rely on the Lord heal me. Still, even now, I have to confess forgiveness for the person/people and not dwell there and try to let the pain go.

It is not the will of our Father for brothers and sisters to do such things to one another! For words spoken out of hasty anger can continue to tear someone down for years to come, and it takes an immeasurable toll on a relationship. How many years of comfort and laughter are lost because of the walls of unresolved words?! Surely the tongue has the power of life and death.

I believe that James tells us to help the poor and hold onto our tongues, ecause we have a tendency to be selfish and boostful. When we are helping others it takes our mind off ourselves and focuses on the other person. Jesus came to serve us and we are far less the He. We should follow His example when it comes to serving others, speaking to others and worshipping the Father.

• 3 weeks later...

Taming of the tongue & taking care of the poor, deals with "others".

In the tongue we prove what it is the heart. Do we encourage others? Invoke positive reactions, in bad situations? Or does our tongue betray the relationship we think we have with God?

In taking care of the poor again it is actions that speak louder than words.

Some times it is easy to have a "pure" spiritual life when it is just the time we spend with God. But then when we are confronted with the follow through of that "spiritually life" in the reality of the life, we sometimes fall very short of the goal God has intended.

It goes back to what we have studied about being not just hears but doers of the word.

I beleive where I fall short is the "over flow" part of my christian walk.

I love the Lord, but do I love Him so much that it "over flows" to every part of my life? To the car that just cut me off, to the people who have made life hard for me?

And do I give to others out of the abundance I have or out of sacrifice?

This is where the "Word" has convicted me!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

LOVE IS NOT JUST A WORD, LOVE IS AN ACTION . LOVE IS GIVING SACRIFICIALLY OF YOURSELF .THE BIBLE SAYS GOD SO LOVE THIS WORLD THAT HE GAVE HIS ONLY SON...HE LOVED THE WORLD SO HE GAVE...LOVE GIVES...THAT'S WHY WE'RE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF THE POOR, THE ORPHANS AND THE WIDOW AND TO SPEAK KIND WORDS TO ALL.IT'S VERY HARD FOR ME TO CONVINCE ANYONE I'M A TRUE CHRISTIAN IF I AM CONSTANTLY PUTTING DOWN OTHERS BY BELITTLING OR CRITICISING THEM.IF CHRIST IS TRULY LIVING IN MY HEART I WILL BEAR GOOD FRUIT.FOR OUT OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKS.SO I MUST GIVE KINDNESS TO ALL AROUND ME BY MY ACTIONS AND THE WORDS OF MY TONGUE.

I AM TRULY ENJOYING THIS BIBLE STUDY CAUSE I'M MORE AWARE NOW OF MY SHORTCOMINGS. I STRUGGLE WITH MY LOVE WALK AND DAILY HAVE TO DEPEND ON THE HOLY SPIRIT TO HELP ME KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT AND ALLOW HIM TO KEEP A GUARD ON MY TONGUE. I REALISE THAT I CAN MINISTER LIFE OR DEATH TO A PERSON BY THE WORDS I SPEAK SO I'M TRULY WANTING TO CHANGE THE WAY I SPEAK TO OTHERS.I WANT PEOPLE TO SEE GOD IN MY ACTIONS, NOT JUST IN MY PRAISE AND WORSHIP. QUIET TIME AND WORSHIPPING THE LORD IS NECESSARY, BUT IF AFTER I'VE SPENT HOURS IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD I NEGLECT THOSE AROUND ME AND SPEAK UNKINDLY ALL THE TIME, HOW IS MY FAITH IN CHRIST EVER GOING TO HELP ME WIN THE LOST AND BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS? PLEASE PRAY FOR ME.GOD BLESS.....

• 1 month later...

Because they are both objective tests if you like. We should always be known as those that speak gently towards others, especially non Christians, so that in our lives they can see the Lord. And again caring practically for people is showing our faith in action.

We can have all the quiet times and worship with God we want but if our lives aren't speaking what we experience with God than our lives are being spent wrong. We must have those times of refuge with God of course but for the equipping of the saints. We must then enter the mission field and bring others to God through our words, actions, and deeds. We ask God to give us what we need and ask for opportunities and let Him shine through us. There is a phrase " Soup, Soap and Salvation". You meet an individual where they are, you meet a physical need so that you can get to the spiritual need without expecting pay backs. It is all about God teaching us how to share His love with others and in turn teach us to live selflessly for Him.

• 4 weeks later...

James; 1-26;27

If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart , this one's religion is useless. :(

What is in the heart comes out of the mouth, so if the heart is sick and unclean so will be the mouth.

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Fatheris this: to visit orphans and widows in there trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

We are to help the orphans and widows if they have no family that can take care of them. ( The family must take care of there loved ones.

If they have no family or the family is unable to provide, then the church and the body of Christ must ( as they are led by the spirit.)

It must come from the heart, if our heart is pure,we will do kind deads, because we will do it for our Heavenly Father. :wub:

THANK YOU JESUS. AMEN

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

God wants us to be doers of the word, not hearers only as James states in the first chapter. Our tongues can cause others and ourselves many problems. If we can bridle our tongues, that is the ultimate form of self control. If others hear us gossip or lie or just blurt out whatever we believe at the time, Christians and non-christians alike will have trouble trusting us. We will have no witness. When we are lead by the Holy Spirit, He helps us control our thinking and our speech.

The quality of our quiet time or woship is US renewing ourselves, taking IN for ourselves. We need to do this so we can give OUT to others. Be a clean vessel for God to use. Faith without works is dead. We can't give what we don't have so renewal is necessary to be a true disicple. Be a great day in the Lord. Donna

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

Our words can be like fire and can deeply hurt others. We need to be careful before we speak.

We should care for the poor without any thoughts of receiving.

John.

There are so many verses in the Bible about controlling and taming the tongue (I have read them all, because this is where I struggle the most!) I think James chose controlling the tongue as a "test", because it is such a difficult task. There probably isn't a better outward expression of what is inside our hearts and minds than what comes out of our mouth. One of my favorite verses is the one that says a spring can't give forth both fresh and bad water....

Taking care of orphans and widows is another outward expression of what is really inside. I don't remember where it is in the Bible that is says "what good does it do to tell someone who is hungry, 'Be filled'!"

I think James is again reminding us we can't just be hearers of the Word.

• 1 month later...

When James mentioned taming the tongue and taking care of the poor, he was telling us:

What ever comes out of our mouth could either cut some down or build them up and once you say it you can take it back.

When we take care of the poor and elderly we are taking the emphasis of ourself and giving it in a loving manner to others.

To always put others before ourself.

Love everyone, even those who hurt you.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus said that whatever comes out of a man's mouth is what defiles him. I believe He meant that when we speak whatever satan puts in our hearts, we are not resisting temptation and so we are allowing ourselves to be defiled by sin. Our tongue is a door to our hearts; whatever is in there is just going to come out! So in taming our tongue we are also taming our flesh, because when we make a point to control our tongue we are resisting satan. It is promised that if we resist him, he will flee. By resisting him in controlling what we say, we are cleansing our thoughts from impurity, taking every thought captive.

Also, what our tongue is doing is more visible to the world and affects others, sometimes harming them. The Lord would not have us harm others, so we must learn to control our tongues. Help me, Lord!

• 5 weeks later...

It would seem to me that James is using the tongue and care for the poor as a litmus test since both of these actions require an outward spiritual demonstration reflecting one's inner nature. Other activities, either private or corporate, could simply be fleshly manifestations of self gratification or vain glory.

• 3 months later...

James makes taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion because it's what is in our hearts that counts. Taming our tongue is of prime importance because deception starts in a person's heart and then leaks out through his vocabulary. If your mouth starts to get you into trouble, then it's time to take a serious look at what's rotten on the inside. As Jesus said, ''The mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart'' [Mat. 12:34]

James commands us to ''look after orphans and widows'' [Jas 1.27] it is important that our hearts be not closed. There are many passages in scripture where we see God caring for the poor, therefore it is important that we are concerned and caring for any one who needs our help!

• 3 weeks later...

Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

LIKE YOU SAID CARE FOR THE ORPHANS AND WIDOW SHOW LOVE WITHOUT EXPECTING GAIN.

WE WATCH WHAT WE SAY AND SPEAK GOD'S WORDS OR DO NOT CONDEM THEN WE ARE PUTTING OUR OWN THOUGHTS UNDER CONTROL

AGAIN IF WE ARE NOT DOING THE WORD THEN OUR QUIET TIME OR WORSHIP IS NOT PERFECTING US. WE SHOULD BE MOVED TO ACTION NOT INACTION.

<span style='color:blue'>People looking at us, Christians, would like to see the characterstics of Jesus in us. God is love. Jesus was the embodiment of love. He was the result of God's love for us. With this background, if we take the tongue and think about the damage it can do with just one wrong word uttered in a fraction of a second, we will know what James was trying to say about taming the tongue. Unbridled tongue is capable of destruction in a vast capacity. Just the opposite of love. </span>

<span style='color:purple'>So also the loving, caring characteristic of Jesus is exemplified in us when we care for the orphans and widows and the less privileged among us. This also forms part of the "love thy neighbous as thyself" plan. These outward signs tell the world that we are christians who mean business. Our quite time and worship are integral part of our chrisitian life that is not tested in times of distress. We don't have quite time in the middle of a street, but we have the chance to minister to the under privileged in the middle of the street and expose Christ's love to others. That's why James was harping on the practical side of Christianity most of the time than for the theoretical part. </span>

The tongue can be like a bed of featherw, once let go they cannot be picked up again. Words uttered cannot br taken back again, Our relationship with my Lord is broken as well as with others. What is being uttered with our tongue tells what is in our heart.By their fruit they shall know them, so what we say and what we do is the true test of our faith aaand as chrisstians. Our time spent with the Lordis an important paart of aour firm establishnebt with our Lord and we keep oursselves from temptation andd sinning.

• 1 month later...
We speak from the heart and often in our uncontrolaable anger and temper we relay thoughts which often hurt beyond words and many rlationships arae ruined. With every worded that is spoken t here aare choices but also consequencesso it is with our acations involving those w ho need care and comfort. Many of our people think the government's responsibility to care for those who are in dire states. Children aalso have a responsibility in caring for those in need, whatever the n eed might be.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion?

James makes taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion because both acts come only from a heart that is pure and unselfish, motivated by love. Such a heart is a heart that seek to do the will of God.

Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

The quality of our quiet time and worship is a time when we are alone with God and we seek His face usually for our own growth and development. It is rather a selfish time, even though we offer to God alone adoration and praise.

• 1 month later...

They are tests of pure religion because they require self-control and giving without looking for a return. The practice of love in our life and ministry shouldn't require a personal return. In practicing pure religion the emphasize is on giving to and blessing others.

During quiet time we are looking for interaction with God and we are looking for spiritual growth during that time. We looking to give and to receive.

• 4 months later...

As servants of God we should be endeavouring to keep His words on our tongue. I find this so difficult, especially in situations where I want people to like me. I can talk for England and have to monitor myself very carefully so I am not just trying to control other's responses by what I am saying and there fore not be at their mercy!! One of the ways we can be able to be more in control of our tongues is to be close in relationship to Christ. It is part of the freedom of the perfect law. Why would we need to try to raise ourselves up in others estimation when we know how precious we are to Him? Our tongues should be kept under tight control. and used to encourage and build up others, to bring light into situations instead of darkness. In this way we become Christ's body on earth.

The same with caring for the poor. Earlier in the passage James mentions that those with very little, materially, should, "glory in his high position", (v9). This demonstrates how much God cares for them. Jesus warns us of the results of neglecting the poor in Mark 12:

"38As he taught, Jesus said, "Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted in the marketplaces, 39and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. 40They devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely." 41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins,[j]worth only a fraction of a penny.[k] 43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything