JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q8. True Religion

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

I guess James wanted to emphasize the point that pure religion is not all about how much you achieve but how much you show out to others...And the means of doing that are speaking and doing(speech and actions). It is said in the Bible that what comes out of the man defiles him so you have to be careful about your words. Its the words coming out and actions or deeds that makes an impression on the people rather than what you have inside you..I cant think of any other ways of practising a pure religion based on love in anything other than kind words and care for the needy..

The quiet time or worship is also essential for the personal growth of the pure religion.. But James mentions here clearly that God wants us to be pure not only in ourslves but also in expressing it to others...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1:26-27) Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion? Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

James makes a persons speech and actions the test for belief in Jesus rather than quiet devotion because James knows from his Brother that it is out of the abundance of the heart that a person speaks and acts and James understands that it is only those who love Jesus that obey His command of Holy Communion. He is still addressing the difference between hearing the word and doing the word. God said if you "delight yourself in the Lord, He will give you the desires of your heart." The word "delight" means "soft" and it refers to the state of one's heart relative to Jesus. A humble heart is a soft heart and James exhorts us to "accept" Jesus's word planted in our hearts because it has the power to save us. A person cannot "accept" words unless he chooses to accept them. In this way, Jesus' words are like food. We don't just eat anything because we know that whatever we eat becomes a part of us and some things are not good to eat; some things are poisonous and will make our bodies sick or dead. So how do we decide what to eat? We eat what our parents taught us to eat; when our parents put food in front of us as children, we ate the food without question because we trusted that our parents would not give us something harmful to eat because we knew that they loved us (I am using an example of a healthy functional family, of course, and am sorry for my brothers who grew up in an abusive home and pray that they can relate to this relationship through other relational experiences). And besides our trust in our parents, we saw them eat the same things and since we loved them (because they loved us first) we wanted to be like them. A trusting heart is a soft heart; a trusting heart says plant your truth deep inside my soft soil and change this field from barren waste to a garden flowing with the same fruit you eat because I want to be just like you because I love you. Jesus said "if you love me, you WILL obey me." That's a promise! And James is aware of this promise and is anxious to see the fruit that the promise holds in persons he knows believe and will produce such fruit (I say this because James refers to the reader as "brothers" and he can only do this to persons he knows, from his mature experience in Christ, are born of the Spirit). James knows, therefore, that God's children will speak with the same wisdom and truth as Jesus and will bear the burdens of their weaker brothers and sisters just as Jesus did - indeed this was the sacremental command of holy communion which Jesus gave at the last supper until He returns. Jesus said "eat (accept) this bread, which is my body (church - brothers/sisters) which I have given you." So-called church leaders have debated for centuries about whether or not the bread actually becomes Jesus' body when we partake of holy communion. Oh my God! Jesus is teaching us to accept one another as Christ accepted us and when we do this we speak to one another in ways that build eachother up according to each persons need and we share the material things that we gather from the abundance of the grace given to each one of us in Christ Jesus so that our poorer brother and sisters who have gathered too little do not have too little because we love them. This is the religion that God admires and respects because God admires and respects Himself!. People who wonder whether or not the communion bread actually becomes Christ's body in some miraculous way at sunday communion without helping the community are like a person who comes to perceive that food has been placed in front of them and seek to describe its shape and color and size and texture and smell thinking that they have accomplished something by identifying these traits of the food, and then are too stupid to know that they are suppose to eat it! They are like King Herod who was forever learning but never acknowledging (accepting, eating, receiving) the truth.

• 4 months later...

The tongue can be a wicked thing if not tamed, God says that he does not want the tongue used for two things, the same way only salt water comes from a salt water spa, fresh water only comes from a fresh water spa, God doesn't want your tongue to be anything other than used for kind or holy words there is no room in heaven for a nasty tongue. caring for the poor is helping someone less fortunate than are selves but with no gain to ourselves, therefore generated by love, by caring for these people we are showing that we are not higher than they are or better than they are and that we are not wavered about things that most worldly people would turn there nose up at.

Our quiet time and worship is important however God see's that is is far more rewarding helping someone else as this is unselfish, our worship and our quiet time is about us and God, God already knows whats in our hearts. Its also so easy to make quiet time and worship you don't really have to make that much effort, what about helping the homeless or the poor when was the last time you did anything!!!!!

• 1 month later...

WHEN WE CAN TRULY TAME OUR TONGUES AND SPEAK BLESSINGS OVER OTHERS INSTEAD OF CURSES, AND WHEN WE CARE FOR THE POOR WHO CANT DO ANYTHING FOR US IN RETURN, THEN WE ARE TRULY WALKING IN THE SPIRIT AND DEMONSTRATING OUR FAITH IN A PRACTICAL WAY, WHICH BRINGS GLORY TO OUR GOD.QUIET TIME AND WORSHIP IS NECESSARY TO BUILD OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LORD, BUT FAITH IN GOD WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD. WE HAVE TO GO OUT AND BE A LIGHT TO OUR COMMUNITY SO OTHERS CAN SEE CHRIST IN US; THAT IS REAL RELIGION.

• 2 months later...

James has always spoke on works motivated by faith. So "pure religion" had to be more than just "quiet time or worship." There would have to be some action to it. If we are able to tame the tongue that would put us in a state of humility. When we become humble, God can do something with us and we will be motivated to want to go out and serve, not be served. The test here is to see if the Christian would humble themselves and follow the example of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1:26-27)

Why does James make taming the tongue and caring for the poor the prime tests of pure religion?

Why not the quality of our quiet time or worship?

James is writing about practical Christianity and warns us not to deceive ourselves with a counterfeit religion that is nothing more than a charade. He mentions keeping our tongue in check and getting our hands dirty helping people in need, as examples of practical religion. We have to be careful not to consider ourselves religious because we have quality quiet times and worship regularly. This might merely be an outward show

• 2 months later...

When we get angry or hurt sometimes words come out that are not pleasing to God. A harsh word only hurts those we are speaking to. It also leaves scars on us. A harsh tongue does not show the love of God. It is just the opposite of caring for and being concerned for others. God is love, we must show the love of God at all times whether we feel like it or not. There are always going to be people that cross our path that rub us the wrong way, but with the love of God in our hearts we can overcome. Our tongue can get us into a lot of trouble if we don't learn to control it. Love is the answer to taming the tongue. We must get self control. Reaching out to others and caring for those in need shows the love of God in our hearts. What comes out of the mouth is what is in our hearts. It's the eivl of this world that we allow to take over our being. We need cleansing and need to separate ourselves from the worldly things that are all around us.

We need the quiet time and worship time with God, but it's our actions that speak the loudest. Our actions speak louder than out words.

• 1 month later...

The tongue can be a nasty weapon if not controlled which could lead to earthly outbursts, satan getting the better of you so that you do not allow the Holy Spirit to work in you. You have to work on taming the tongue, not allowing satan a foothold, but allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you. In caring for the poor not only shows love and compassion to them, but shows that you love God and that you are obeying Him. In Deuteronomy 24 God tells us to take care of the widows and orphans, and how to do it and again in James 1 27 James reminds of of what God said of orphans and widows, so in doing these actions we then are living within the royal law. The quality of our quiet time and worship I believe is important, it gives us time to be near God to stop and to be still, to hear what He wants to say to us, to grow with Him and then we can move forward in doing His work. If it is all quiet time then I would think that it is not all that God would want.

The Church grew quickly. Many came to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. But many may not have been acting on the word. That is why he first wrote:

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." (James 1:22)

James was not teaching anything new when it came to caring for the poor. He is only echoing the words of the Old Testament.

Deuteronomy 10:16-19 "Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer. For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt."

Moreover, James was aware of the teaching of Jesus. What comest out of the mouth is what is in the heart. For example, Jesus taught:

Matthew 5: 21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Jesus was concerned with our hearts and what we not only did but said. James wanted the Church to know this. We need to control our tongues, help and care for the poor, and keep ourselves clean from coruption. This is true religion.

• 1 month later...

Taming of the tongue seems like a big one for me, over zealous to praise God, I think I frighten some who I should just be looking to find a way to serve. Fortunately it is not 100% of my interactions or I'd need to be in a monastery (:>)

Here writing an answer is not much, just a reminder to always look how to put such acts of faith to practice in daily life. Loving the poor is to love all, so many with material things are very poor in spirit and in heart. they need our love and service differently that the people who are money poor.

• 3 months later...

to me being religious is not playing church or indulging more knowledge of spiritual things. it is life practice in pleasing the very heart of God. to tame the tongue in order not to hurt others into suffering of sin but to bless them. to give to or care for the needy shows love of God to them and at the same time, we are practising a part of the great commandment 'to love thy neighbours as thyself'. if we love ourselves of abling to receive the mercy of God in times of need, then we ought to give mercy to those who are in need. God is merciful to those who show mercy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

;) I actually feel that both are necessary - that unless you find the time in your life for worship and stillness you do not find out what it is God wants you to do. Taming of the tongue - especially in our relationship with God I think we need to be aware of what, how and why we pray certain things. I have heard God threatened, challenged and disrespected by christians and I thank Him that I know He forgives and understands - but if we can't respect God how can we respect others and ourselves.

When we look at the poor it is so easy to avert the eyes, go into denial, justify (charity begins at home) If we find the compassion to pray for that person and await God's response ..He will equip us to give (might be financial relief, emotional support or even just a loving smile.

ph' date='18 December 2004 - 06:34 AM' timestamp='1103308487' post='10394']

As the title has said James is about practical Christianity...interesting that God rejects worship rituals (OT sacrifices) communion (1 Cor 11...practicing communuion when there is division and greed)WHEN we disreagrd loving action for others...with their lips they praise me but their hearts are far from me...prayers are not heard at times in the OT when people were living rebelious lives

Because the taming of the tongue reflects the inner work that God is doing in us. The tongue is a reflection of our basic sinful nature and can only be tamed by pressing into God and by a work of the Holy Spirit. The taming of the tongue is a continual work.

The taming of the tongue and caring for the poor is putting God's kingdom before the worlds. The world asks us to have money, power and pleasure etc as its primary focus. God asks us to Love Him and Others ! To be servants. We are to commit ourselves to Christ's moral value system and not be corrupted by the world. Taming the tongue is a sure focus of staying on track with God rather than the world!

Jeannette

• 2 months later...

Because they are everyday tests of "loving ones neighbor", that we as Christians face. Its all to easy to let hurtful words slip, and to pass judgment on others. Our personal worship time does not reflect on how we love others. Still i think its very important to practice that quality time. So that we may ask for both forgiveness, and wisdom.

• 4 weeks later...

Taming the tongue is one very difficult habit to develop. It is so easy to just "express one's opinion" or "exercise one's freedom of speech" but in the process, one could actually sin against his neighbor by being too judgmental. Caring for the poor is as difficult as taming the tongue,because humans will help others but there is always this fear that they are being taken advantage of. A person who can tame his tongue and care for the poor truly loves his neighbor as God loves him.

• 2 months later...

Both taming the tongue and caring for the poor premote us to become ACTIVE Christians, doers of the Word, not hearers only. I believe also, taming of the tongue will break our self-will, and caring for the poor will keep us humble.

They are both attributes which we must ACTIVELY pursue, not merely "hear."

• 6 months later...

To tame the tongue and caring for the poor are the prime test, because these are actions that Christians witness when we are amongst others. It is important to have quiet time with the Lord to build your relationship with Him and that is where faith comes into play, but if your faith does not flow over into actions then your faith is meaningless.

We can have tamed tounges when our hearts are changed by the power of the Holy Spirit. No man can tame the tounge, only the Holy Spirir. We care for the poor when our hearts are changed to love like Jesus loves. All of this change is fruit of the Word of God working in our hearts.

• 1 month later...

Colossians 4:6 states "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Jesus walked this earth ministering to every man's need. Whereas, we may think we need one thing, Jesus knows the need of all men and he ministered to every man's need. To the rich man that wanted eternal life and yet had put his riches before the Lord God (Matt. 19:24, Mark 10:25, Luke 18:25), Christ showed him that there was and is only one true God and He would have no other gods before him. The rich man needed to be ministered to concerning this. To the sick alike, Jesus would minister healing to them in such a way that they accepted their healing by faith. He knew just what to say to encourage individuals and large crowds alike in order to minister to their need. Oh, how wonderful it would be to know just what to say to every individual to draw them to Christ. The lame man in Acts 3 at the gate called Beautiful asked of Peter and John to give him alms and yet, Peter saw that his need was to be healed and that, he gave. I believe that if we can minister or address believers and unbelievers alike, whether they are fornicators, rapest, murderers, etc. saying the right things, rebuking the right way, at the right time, for the right reasons that Christ can come in and what needs to be done will be done. Being that with our tongue we can bring about death we need wisdom, "Lol" and not mans wisdom, but wisdom that is of God. With it we can use that same tongue and bring about life. Christ says in John 3:17, "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.". Jesus ministered to draw men to him, to repentance, "...lest his deeds should be reproved.".(John 3:20). Now, being that man has a tendency of pointing the finger at one another and whiping one another with our words, our approach must be in love. We will show forth that love when helping others, simply because we can; not to receive praise from man or other hidden motives. Just love. You can't really trust someone that says one thing and do another, which to me is what James is saying. Some say Christ live in them and yet Christ is no where to be seen. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."(Matthew 5:16). This is "Pure Religion", putting on the Lord Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

I John 4:20 - If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

There are so many commands in the Bible to love our brothers and those around us. There are so many commands to help the poor and less fortune. If we are not practicing these commands, living them in our every day life, we can't have real quality time with God. We have to start our time with God by repenting and getting our hearts right and repenting for our mouths and lack of love. It is easy to say I love God but it is sometimes harder to show I love my brother or sister that is many times doing things to get on my nerves. It is so easy to say something bad about someone when they are not there (gossip). We cannot control the tongue; only God can teach us how. Our mouths can do more damage to those around us than any other force. Only God can teach us how to control this because He can change our hearts.

Sometimes in order to spend true worship time with God, He sends us to our brother first to make things right.

Also, this goes back to being not just a hearer of the Word but a doer of the Word.

• 5 months later...

James wants to emphasize that doing God’s will is more important than hearing about His will. The quality of our quiet time and worship should lead to our spiritual growth and our becoming actively involved in making a difference in the world.