JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q9. Discrimination

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on? 

I tend to discriminate against people who intentionally don't try to better themselves on any level.  I have a low tolerance for people who whine and cry about their condition and don't do anything about it.

I personally try to pray for, bless, and make a good impression on all people.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have learned over the years to love almost everybody and to hate the evil acts done by some of these people. For example, after the death of my husband, a group of boys used to break into my house and steal from me and my daughters. This was not a nice thing for us. I later learned that one of the boys was my neighbors son. His grandmother could hardly believe me. But one day after the third incidence, the boy confessed that "this time I did not steal from your house and I know who did." that was proof enough to say on the two previous occasions I did steal from you. I appreciated that confession. Two weeks later the boy was shot by the police and admitted to the hospital where I worked. I was by his bedside when he woke up from anesthesia after the operation. "I love you, son." I said to him. I had forgotten that he was a thief, a person who persecuted me! I hated what he did but I loved him as a person created in the image of God.

I find it difficult to believe that a man can marry another man, a woman can marry another woman. But, I do not have any reason to say they should not be treated like anyone else or be given positions they deserve at work. But truly speaking, I would not like them to be too close to my children, afraid they may rub that behaviour onto them.

I believe we are all equal in the eyes of God. I, therefore, do not want to give preferential treatment to other people just because of their status. But we live in the world that has a culture of hero worshipping certain people because of the offices they hold and at times I find it difficult to adjust in such situations like having to stand up just because a government minister is entering the auditorium to give a speech! Yes, people have to be respected because they human beings, but to make them idols is not right in my view.

• 10 months later...

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

The only kind of person that I discriminate against is usually a person who discriminates against me. A person or group I discriminate against is those who merciless kill in the name of Allah. I pray for myself, that the Lord help me with my discrimination, and those who discriminate against me. A special prayer is said for those who kill and maim individuals for their belief and are considered infidels, these beliefs are nothing more than Satan deceiving these people. Indeed a special prayer everyday!

I try not to make any kind of impression on anyone, church, home or public. I'm who I'm, loving the Lord and trusting him for my life.   

• 1 year later...

In honesty, we want to be friends with the best looking and most popular people. The well-educated, rich, nice clothes, fancy cars, house, job, famous, greatest, etc. tend to be held in the highest of honor. While history shows the people of God are mostly poor, being in a wheelchair I tend to look down on the one who can do anything from walking, bending, writing, etc., not just sinners or the godly, everyone. It is difficult to except that I can no longer do those things I once could. I am constantly told it could happen to anyone. My immediate thought is its happened to me, not just anyone. I try to stay in the shadows only impressing my doctors, who are supposedly “miracle” workers. We have a natural tendency to favor something over another, but it is looked upon as sin. This section of Scripture has really put things in perspective for me.

• 2 years later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q9. Discrimination
  • 1 month later...

What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

Could it be that the church discriminates against the wealthy and educated more than the poor and downtrodden?  There are plenty of outreaches to the inner city, pregnant girls, the homeless, etc., but I've never heard of an outreach to country clubs. Political power seems to attract the church -- prayer groups in Washington D.C.'s congressional class, for example -- and to some degree, business power or raw wealth, but not in the sense of making an concerted outreach to the lost and unsaved among them.

Everyone needs to know the Lord and come to His feet in humility. 

--

I have a particular animus, which I know is sinful, toward women who focus on their families. The ones that get me the most are those that never grow out of the routine of hearth and home. If women stopped fussing over their kids and grandchildren, baking cookies and casseroles, decorating their homes, admiring their bodies at the gym, arranging play dates, driving their kids to one lesson after the next, etc., and actually noticed that the world out there needs to hear about Christ, our nation would be transformed. We could be a Christian nation, once again. But evangelical women are too busy commending themselves for their self-righteous lock-down.

Instead of fussing over a meal, why not go down the public library and pray for every person in there, then go eat fast food? That's one small thing a home-obsessed woman could do to make a difference for Him. It could be transformative. People could come to know the Lord. I'm sorry, but I think most Christian women are far too self-focused -- family is an extension of the self.  Women use "family" as a narcissistic excuse to neither love or witness to people who don't touch their safe, limited lives.

That's my "prejudice."

Q9. (2:1-3) 
What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? 
What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?
There is no place in Christianity for discrimination of any kind. Probably the most glaring example of it in the church today is the discrimination shown against people of other races and colour. In my country, prior to 1994 - the apartheid era, black believers had been excluded in many instances or at least made to feel unwelcome. But never in my church. Our church did not discriminate against black believers, it was more about cultural differences that they might have felt uncomfortable in my church – at worst we might have been guilty of not making them more welcome. Since we are all made in the image of God (Gen 1:26) there can be no lack of respect for others because of birth, race, sex, or poverty. Not that I consider myself better than anyone, but I can honestly say I do not consciously discriminate against other people. I tend to shy away from those that flaunt their wealth being much more comfortable with the ‘down to earth’ people. A lot of our church members are battling financially. The church is also situated in an area with a high density of retired people (myself included). All are most welcome!!

Q9. (James 2:1-3)

What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I am not or try not to be a person-pleaser.  I do shy away from a drunk person or one on drugs because I feel I cannot help them in any way. I feel terribly inadequate.  I grew up with or working among the less privileged community.  I feel very uncomfortable among the rich people because I stick out like a sore thumb. 

I don't try to make an impression on people.  I re-located the week-end before lock-down and have as yet not settled at any church. I have visited but am scared to put down roots.

Noone or no particular type of person that I know of. 

My boss and clients and yes church pastors. I should also do same for those I love, out of respect, but fail at times.

The sinner I tend to discriminate against is people that I think should be old enough to be mature and do not have addictions or a mental illness. It cuts me even to type that-but I have empathy for children, teens and elderly people. I feel a weird aversion towards "normal" people who have not come to Christ, putting this down solidifies the absurdity of that. We ALL are broken, even if it can not been seen or known by others. I think my church tries to make a good impression on couples-young or old (its not a very big church). This has really helped me realize how I need GOD's help on how I discriminate against people. 

(James 2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against?

I try not to discriminate against others at all.  I do find myself distancing myself from people that tend to be loud or use vulgar language.

I/we try to make a good impression on anyone new that visit our church.  We want to make them welcome, whether rich or poor.  You never know who is seeking the Lord.

Q9. (James 2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? Women, with means, who dress indecently, smoke and drink in public “like men do” and downplay Christianity. Men who seem to overspend their time and money in bars. Sometimes I’m filled with pity for both categories. What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on? Whenever I can, I like it when, on Sundays, when I’m well dressed and carrying my bag of hymns and the Bible, I go past the bars and I greet or be greeted by the young men who’ll be already drinking. I’d say since my Church is poor and in debt, there is some emphasis on the well-positioned and well to do.
http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/topic/279-q9-discrimination/

Q9. (James 2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I can't say that I have tendency of discriminating against anyone one that is a sinner, because I was once a sinner and I know it's only the grace of God and His saving power that I could be still be in my sin. My church is trying to reach those who have never been to church or that have not professed Jesus as their Lord and savior.

i have been self-righteous person, many believed i was a strong Christian, i loved the idea of being thought that way, so usually i will discriminate against "sinners" who call themselves Christians though i was the chief sinner. we try to impress people of high status in our societies at church, we value them by what they have and appoint them to hold positions based on that.  

This is a very, very interesting question.  My life is such that I am not in a position to discriminate against anyone, but if I had to it would be against homosexuals.  I have an overwhelming aversion to this sin because they always try to justify their sinful behaviour by saying love is love.  I cannot answer the second part of the question as I am not a member of a local church.  I resigned a few years ago from my church because I got tired of the erroneous teaching, the unbiblical worship, and poor leadership.

Q.9. I find it hard to be around people who are openly hostile towards God. Especially when they think they are so modern and far too intelligent and educated to believe in “fairytales “! I really don’t like dealing with people who have a superior attitude to others especially if the other person is elderly or more vulnerable in some way. At the same time I am aware that I am a sinner saved by grace and I still sin in ways that I aught not to. 
My church has very much a welcome policy to whoever comes in the door. There would always be someone at the door to find a seat for whoever came in. This May at times mean the door person gives up their own seat or someone from the church surrenders their seat to our visitor. We then have a policy of the members including the elders to immediately approach any visitors after the service to chat or to bring the up to where coffee is being served, if it is a ‘ coffee Sunday’!

Q9. (James 2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I may not like the drunkards or the sexually immoral but cannot recall instances of discrimination against them.

However, as the church building chairman, I do try to woo the rich from other churches to contribute generously to our church project fund racing. I feel this is not wrong. 

On 12/17/2004 at 2:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I personally have a problem with panhandlers.  I came from a family that worked hard for all that they had.  My mother and father had a problem with just sitting down and relaxing.  They did have some down time after they retired but they worked hard to make it possible to retire.  I have always worked.  I am nearly 82 and I just get a little perturbed at panhandlers wanting me to give them money.  Today (2022), there is not an excuse not to have a job and earning a reasonably decent income.  Everywhere I have traveled particularly in the Eastern United States there are signs looking for people to work.  I am careful with my money; I tithe, I give, and I give alms.  If I am aware of a need I try to help meet that need.

Our church is a Pentecostal church, transitioning from the "old line" Pentecostal image.  My pastor is nearly half my age and has picked up the mantra of many other churches today in wanting to present itself as a multi-racial, multi-cultural, and multi-generational body of believers in God.  I believe that the mission statement is a good mission statement however the day of the choir has gone, only a praise team to lead the church in songs most of us don't know, a stage that looks like a disco tech complete with the lights and sounds, no familiar songs nor song books.  Now tell me who are we trying to make a good impression on?  I know the pastor is doing his best and I try not to be a hinderance to him and try to support he and the ministry of our church every opportunity that I have.  I am the former associate pastor, retired in 2006.

On 12/17/2004 at 2:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I discriminate against cliques in the church.  Sometimes people of certain cultures in the church don't think of you as one of them and they have their own favorites.  Maybe as a child we were taught to just hang with our own family or culture,  but when I became a Christian, God took away color from me and I did not see color, I saw a person that was just as I and had the witness of the Spirit, that we as Christians are both children of God.

I have a problem with judging and criticizing the way a people in the church dress, holes in jeans on platform, etc. and I am asking the Lord to help me with this.  I want to look at the person's heart, not their outward appearance.

As far as i know, the church and myself are not trying to impress anyone.

• 1 month later...

I tend to discriminate against those that are able to work and are not and living of welfare. I can’t think of any kind of person that our church or that I am trying to make a good impression on. But I know that isn’t true because I have a blind side and can’t see what others see.

• 1 year later...

1. I find myself somewhat unenthusiatic about welcoming home or the to church people who are unkempt, "suspicious -looking", openly displaying evidence of adherence to other religions or outwardly  'immoral'. Yet our Lord Jesus Christ, whom we profess to follow often went out of His way to reach out to people and even dine that the clergy of His day considered "sinners' - examples Luke7:37-391 Lk15:1-2. I believe this not only because He really cares for every sinner (which means every one of us) regardless of background of status. It's humbling to realize that He left behind a 1st century that included people who had been converted from all sorts of background!

I/we need to repeatedly repent from this prejudicial attitude and thusvcontinue helping Jesus to build the kind of church He always envisaged

2. I belong to an evangestic movement and I (and my community) tend to focus on either the "potential leaders" , the youthful , well-educated, the sharp (professional or otherwise well-to-do), or those who seem "eager for the word". I/we should be rather learn from Jesus who went from village to village and town to town meeting all kinds of people to assure they they are welcome to His kingdom by repenting only. Surprisingly and in contrast to our tendencies He particularly challenged the religious and the powerful of His day! 

1. I find myself somewhat unenthusiatic about welcoming home or to church people who are unkempt, "suspicious -looking", those who display evidence of adherence to other religions or the outwardly  'immoral'. Yet our Lord Jesus Christ, whom we profess to follow, often went out of His way to reach out to people and even dine that the clergy of His day considered "sinners' - examples Lk 7:37-39, Lk 15:1,2. I believe  He did this not only because He really loves every sinner (which means every one of us) regardless of background of status but also to teach us. It's humbling to realize that He left behind a 1st century church that included people who had been converted from all sorts of backgrounds!

I/we need to repeatedly repent from such prejudicial attitudes and to continue helping Jesus to build the kind of all-inclusive church He always envisaged!

2. I belong to an evangestic movement and I (and my church community) tend to focus on either the "potential leaders" , the youthful , well-educated, the sharp (professional or otherwise well-to-do), or those who seem "eager for the word". I/we should be rather learn from Jesus who went from village to village and town to town meeting all kinds of people to assure them that they are welcome to His kingdom by repenting only. Surprisingly and contrary to our current tendencies, He particularly confronted and often challenged the religious and the powerful of His day! Matt 23:10-35

It's somewhat ironical and even shameful that we could be favouring the same kind of people that Jesus often disagreed and contended with!