JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q9. Discrimination

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I try not to discriminate but in truth, I do discriminate against ambitious people and people who appear to be caught up in worldly things like professions, titles, accomplishments, recognition,etc. It's totally unfair of me because I don't know their hearts - only God does.

I don't try to impress anyone or any group of people, however I do hope my love for the Lord shows through to everyone I encounter whether on a daily basis or just a chance meeting.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a tendency to discriminate against drug addicts and alcholic and those that have been in the household of faith for a longtime and still drinking milk. I pray for God guidance in these areas. I am in pray. God love us all and He shows no favortism. We should do the same.

Our church family is a church that shows love to others. We have been told this over and over from vistors. Some have become part of our family because of the love shown. We try to make all feel welcome and love.

:rolleyes: Well I do see a lot of religiosity in the church where I go. The pastor keeps preaching about us members just going through a set way of doing things, so I guess I would have to say a lot of things about people that I don't know if you call it discriminateing aganist, but I do not like the way the richer people act toward the poor. People do not want do volunteer to do a lot of the things that we need to do to reach out to people in our neighboor who are needy. My church seems to be reaching or making a impression to the richer people of our town. I DO NOT FEEL OUR PASTOR FEELS THIS WAY.I work in our church's care ministry, and its hard to get anyone to help, but if there is going to be a party or something like that a lot of people will show up. Do any of yopu have this trouble? :) I have tried to study Jesus's life and I believe He wants us to reach out to needy people.

I discriminate or avoid people who are in cults that come to my door. I have tried to talk to them about salvation by grace through faith and they always quote their false doctrine. Usually I have to just shut the door because they will not leave. Thank GOD they do not come around that often but I would really like to be able to reach them for Christ.

Our church does not try to impress anyone. Everyone is welcomed and received graciously.

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against?

I tend to discriminate against the rich or the bold or the confident or those that seem to be in control or have power working on their behalf. Just about the opposite of what James was speaking of .. the discrimination against a poor man .. I battle being discriminate against the rich man.

What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I fight trying to impress my boss. I have to remind myself constantly that I work for God and God only and He is the only one I have to impress.

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

This is a hard one! My first impulse is to say I don't discriminate--but, of course I do--subconsciously, if not consciously--I think I find it hardest to be around people who are full of hate for God and others.

I try to make a good impression when I first meet people.

I try not to discriminate but I find myself doing it and I can't narrow it down to a specific type of person. It sort of depends on where we are living and what is going on. It is sin and I confess it and pray for me and whoever I feel these feelings come up against.

Many times I have felt the one discriminated against in churches probably because I am usually the new person.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

OH BOY!!

Before I came to Christ Jesus and confessed I was a sinner and I wanted Him to come into my life and save my soul . . . I could really write a book on who and why I discriminated against.

SATAN HAD GOTTEN SUCH A HOLD ON MY LIFE THAT I ACTUALLY HATED JUST ABOUT EVERY HUMAN BEING I MET, EVEN GOD HIMSELF.....

After salvation, I couldn't remember who I disliked. When the Lord Jesus came into my life, He completely renewed me, my actions, my walk, my talk, and my thinking.

For about a year, I didn't dislike anyone. Then there seemed to be a period that I became very judgmental toward people of different denominations.

Today, whenever I begin to judge people or churches, the Holy Spirit reminds me who I am and where I came from. It isn't always easy to keep a pure mind. Prayer is the answer...

I never want to loose sight of that Grace this wonderful and loving God shown upon me... GOD IS SOOOO GREAT AND WONDERFUL!

I need to pray for Christ mind and understanding everyday.

I try not to discriminate--- but human nature as it is I guess I tend to mainly discriminate against those whotry to manipulate the system. Having worked with handicapped children, i have found how those less fortunate have so much more love and compassion to offer because of their innonence and trust.

In our church community we don't have the rich rich or the poor poor. The members are mainly an average class person who work together to spread the work of the Lord and try t o 'survive' as a congregation and pastoral charge financially.

All too often we have tended to favour the men and women of 'means' in our churches preferring to refer to them as 'Big fish' . But in God's basket there is no big fish. I have since discovered that those that God will use for His purposes are not stereotyped. Gold must go through a process of refinnng before its value becomes manifest. Everything that God created is good. The wise soul winner according to the book of Daniel will be the one who has many stars shinning for him in heaven.The bible does not refer to the size of the stars but their number.

I think my easiest target for discrimination would be women in the church who dress inappropriately or the ones who are involved in the feminist movement but at the same time claim to love God. I also dont like to associate with men who mistreat their wives and kids

I think i try to make a good impresion to men and women who seem really spiritual especially those involved in full time ministry.I guess this is because i want to go into full time myself one day and i need someone to show me how to go about it.

We tend to discreminate against those who are less fortunate that ourselves, or those who are doing something we feel is unacceptable in our eyes. We often want look at ourselves, because to look at ourselves means we would have to acknowledge sin in our own lives and change.

Churches often shun the downtrodden, for fear they may want something. This is not how our savior wanted thing to be, Love your neighbor as yourself.

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend

to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your

church) trying to make a good impression on?

I think most people try to disciminate against those that don't have as much as they do. Instead of trying to find out how they can help them. We don't take the time to think that it could be us.

The only one I work at to impress is God. It really doesn't bother me that much what others think of me. As long as I work to stay in his will at all times it doesn't matter if anyone likes me or not :rolleyes:

What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discrimminate against?

I don't we are to pray for them to receive the gift of salvation, color, greed or walk of life they may be in.

What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression?

I don't , I try to leave the imprression of Christ, to those I encounter.

Richard S.

I have to say that I don't know how to deal with child sex offenders. I just want to keep away. Just as well that, as a woman, I can leave them to the men. People who have been part of the church for years, show no sign of change, and think the church owes them something, or play a leadership or pastoring role while privately continuing in adulterous relationships over long periods, really bother me. I praise God that I do not have to judge them and can leave them to Him.

I dont know the answer to the second question. I think I stopped trying to impress people as a child. I tend to wait and see how they impress me! Does that sound rather arrogant? It comes from over criticism as a child. I need to feel safe when interacting with people in normal social terms. Yes, I've gone a long way towards overcoming it, and have a lot more to say these days than once I did. God has blessed me with friends who are safe these days. However I'm still a bit quiet. I guess the answer is different and personal for every person in the church. I left a church where the poor are ignored or used. I make it my business to attend to the needs of the less well-heeled. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That is a wonderful saying wich proves that we know pretty much how we should deal with every situation - just put myself in it and ask what I would like!

I guess I was very negative to people who were constantly doing things that I used to do when I were one of them, but the Lord taught me a lesson and reminded me that He got me out of that situation so that I might be instrumental in witnessing Jesus Christ to them. My church usually focuses on youth refugees.

Those that set out to hurt other human being is hard for me to deal with. I do not understand how anyone can hurt a child or abuse their families. I think it is hard if you have never done that to think of them even as being humans. God loves them and I must love them to be a child of God. They are also ones that I need to pray for more and except and reach out to help them see they need to except the Lord into their lives and change the things they are doing and let love of Jesus lead them to a better way.

I am not out to please man and I thank God that the church I go too is not out to do that either. We try to be the same with all people that is one of the reasons I choose this place to worship in. God is real and from what I can see we are doing our best to reach all people. Thank you Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

I am guilty of discriminating alcoholics,and people who seem to be very nice in church but has a totally different life after church. I know, we ought to be patient and encouraging, because we have our own faults as well.

I don't notice anything which my church has generally discriminated upon, although I don't know what they think individually.

I don't know if you would call this discrimnation, but I feel very uncomforable with people claiming they are Christians while they're taking a puff off a cigarette, have a glass of alchohol in their hand or using curse words and saying there is nothing wrong with it. If we look as those who do not know the Lord, I believe we should look into their eyes as Jesus would and see either the pain or loneliness that they may have.

I know that I am a sinner and I won't be totally pure until I am with the Lord, but I try to live my life each day as if it will be my last day on earth and to be able to present myself before the throne of God.

On the surface, I dont discriminate. I am Mr nice guy. When I am in the Spirit of the Load, I dont discriminate. When I am not, all the dirty muck within comes out. Its clear - we are sinners internally. Only Gods Spirit can keep us Holy.

Passages like these helps to see ourselves well in the mirror, know ourselves and ensure that we are in the Spirit.

I do not discriminate towards anyone. By doing so means you are judging and we are in no position or authority to judge. If we judge or show favoritism it leads to wicked thoughts and we are taking God's position into our own hands.

The only people I am trying to impress is only one and that is God!