JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q9. Discrimination

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I tend to have very little patience with belly-achers and complainers. Most often they just rant and never lift a finger to change their situation. The poor me, why is my life this way victim really gets on my nerves. I also have little patience for christians that do everthing right exept love their fellow man. They don't do this, they don't do that, and sit in judgment of anyone who isn't in as good of a place as them. We are supposed to be leading by example, not by critizing. I have a hard time loving people like that.

I haven't really noticed my church trying to impress anyone. The pastor and the leaders thus far seem to be spirit led and compassionate to all kinds of people, which is probably why there are so many different kinds of people there.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I THINK FOR MOST OF MY LIFE I'VE BEEN OFFENDED AT PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT CLASS, COLOR, EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND,RACE, ETC. I'M NOT PROUD TO ADMIT THAT ,BUT BY THE GRACE OF GOD I'M NOW LEARNING HOW TO TRULY WALK IN LOVE TOWARD THE POOR, THE DIRTY, THE RICH AND THE DIFFERENT CLASSES OF PEOPLE I MEET DAILY.I' VE ALWAYS LOVED MAKING FRIENDS, TALKING WITH PEOPLE, GETTING TO KNOW ABOUT THEIR CULTURE AND BEING FRIENDLY AND OPEN WITH THEM , BUT SOMETIMES BENEATH THE SURFACE I TEND TO GET EASILY OFFENDED AT THEIR WAYS WHEN IT DIFFERS FROM MINE.I GUESS I'VE BEEN SELFISH AND ALSO THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD DO THINGS IN A CERTAIN MANNER JUST LIKE ME, WHICH IS NOTHING BUT PRIDEFULNESS. MY PRAYER HAS BEEN THAT THE LORD WILL BREAK THE SPIRIT OF PRIDE AND SHOW ME HOW TO WALK IN TRUE HUMILITY.

THE CHURCH I GO TO DOES NOT SEEM TO BE TRYING TO IMPRESS ANYONE . THEY ALLOW THE HOLY SPIRIT TO LEAD THE SERVICE WHICH IS AWESOME. FOR MYSELF, I USED TO TRY TO IMPRESS PEOPLE WITH MY CHRISTIANITY BUT THROUGH CIRCUMSTANCES IN MY LIFE I'M NOW FINALLY WANTING TO PLEASE MY HEAVENLY FATHER MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE.WHAT A BURDEN HAS BEEN LIFTED FROM ME, PRAISE GOD.!!!! THANK GOD FOR HIS PATIENCE TOWARD ME AND HIS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.IF GOD LOVED ME THE WAY I LOVE SOME PEOPLE, I'D BE IN TROUBLE...PLEASE PRAY FOR ME....GOD BLESS........

• 1 month later...

I don't believe that I now discriminate against any type of person, or sinner. But I know that I used to when I was more self-righteous. I used to think that some types of sins/sinners were worse than others, particularly sexual sins. But recognising my own sinfulness, I now know what I have been capable of in the past, and it humbled me. i want people to know that Jesus can make a difference in their lives. That He is the God of the second, third, fourth chance, etc. My Church is lovely, and agian I didn't always believe or see that. They don't try and flatter anyone. All who come are welcome, are treated the same and are told that they need to turn from their sins. England is no longer a Christian Country, and Gospel believing churches are hard to find. Praise God that I am in one.

• 3 weeks later...

I struggle with discrimination against people that "abuse the system". I feel for them and I know God, so must I, love their heart but I really dislike the way they want and want and want without giving in any way. I am blessed to be part of the "church" that uses the ministry in a very unique way to bring all walks of life toward God. I am not one to try and make a "good impression" on anyone. I know that not all people will like me but I try to "love on" people the best I know how. It is very much out of my comfort zone but regardless I am called to minister to others.

• 2 weeks later...

I try not to discriminate against anyone, but do have touble with people who call themselves Christians and

are either living in sin ( out of weddlock ) or who live a completley different life to what a God fearing person

would. I just feel that they have no respect for our Heavenly Father. It is very sad to see :( I relize that we are not perfect and do fall short at times.

It says in the word of God that we are to love :wub: the sinner, but hate the sin.

DEAR LORD, I PRAY THAT YOU WOULD CLEANS MY HEART OF ANYTHING THAT IS CAUSEING ME TO JUDGE, AND REPLACE IT WITH YOUR UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, :wub: I PRAY THIS IN THE NAME OF JESUS, AMEN !!

• 6 months later...

What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against?

It automatically hits in when I see a dirty, raggedly dressed person that they should clean themselves up. I believed until a week ago that there was NO need for homelessness in this day & age in Australia with our Social Security system, etc, but then I spoke to a wonderful lady who has a flat, but chooses to sleep rough out on the streets a lot of the time with street folk who have nowhere to live. She explained to me why homelessness is so rampant in this day & age & it both saddens, concerns & disappoints me greatly that our Government have a lot to do with it. I now have a whole new respect for the homeless & a greater compassion. I also feel bad that I judged in the first place.

As far as the sort of sinner I discriminate against, I don't believe I do discriminate for the mere fact that I too could find it so very, very easy to sin at any given time, but by the grace & strength God gives me I am able to stand against sin in my life & although I'm faaaar from perfect {thankfully} I know that I'm aiming to be all that God wants me to be & one of those things is to be compassionate to others who are swamped in sin.

What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

Neither my church, or I are not trying to impress anyone, but just eager to be Jesus to whoever comes to our church or to whoever we meet. My pastors are always running around ministering to & helping people, many who are disadvantaged. :)

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against? What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I do not intentionally discriminate against anyone, however I belive that the message is directed at unintetional discrinination, or our natural tendancies to favor one over another. I do find that a more attractive person will get more attention from me than others and when I recognize this I try to eliminate this behavior, by consiously trying tnot to judge people by impressions I get when first meeting them.

My church does not try to impress anyone that I can see at this point.

• 2 months later...

I try not to discriminate against anyone although I know that a flaw in my character is that I do discriminate against people who don't agree with my point of view.

I would like to make a good impression on everyone as part of my witness to Christ.

John.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is discrimation or not, but I really get uncomfortable with people walking around with their noses in the air. I've have seen this a lot even through people who claim to be Christians. I pray each day that I will look at others through the eyes of Christ. How can I beat this uncomfortable feelting I get when others think they are better than me or anyone else? Will you please pray for me?

My church is big on missions, which is a wonderful work of God, but it tends to ignore others in the church who can not make a mission trip due to health or finances. It also focuses more on the trip than on the Word of God when a mission trip is coming up. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I have a tendency to discriminate against people who are what I used to be, forgetting where God has brought me from. Thankfully I know this and He is still molding me after His will. I am blessed that our Lord is longsuffering!

Our church started from the street, poor people helping poor people (http://www.peoplethatlove.com). We used to try to impress big churches, large corporations and whom we perceived as big money types to help us with the work. Our efforts were and still are largely ignored. So, we stopped trying to impress anyone and went to God. We realize that He wants us to depend solely upon Him. He does the rest. We have been doing this ministry to the poor and needy for 19 years. We have seen others come and go. Being established on the Rock means we work in faith. He is Yahweh Jireh, the Lord Provider. He is the only One that we need to impress.

• 2 months later...

Administrator

Group: Admin

Member No.: 2

I know I am guilty of discriminating against those who have an attitude of self righteousness. I used to live in a community of mostly materialistic people. It was difficult to find friends there. I ended up being more of a loner there. The church I attended in that community seemed to be reaching out to the wealthy and engaging them on committees quickly to make them feel important. Those of less wealth were not invited to join in. We have since moved and this community is much different and I am extremely happy about that. People seem genuine and the church we attend has not shown favoritism, but maybe just the opposite by inviting all and especially challenging us to go help the needy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In order to not discriminate, we need to have the innocence of a child. Children don't notice the difference of race or color. Children don't know when a person is rich or poor. We adults teach them. And when I notice that someone is different than me, I am, in that thought, discriminating.

Whether we want to or not (or whether we're willing to admit it or not), we all discriminate. What I try to do is to bring myself in contact with those that I know I see differently, to get to know them better - it's the best way I've found to work through and past the differences and find what we have in common. When I see what we have in common and not the differences, then I've taken another step towards not discriminating.

I don't know, or haven't seen, that my church is attempting to impress any particular person or type of people. From what I have seen, they reach out to everyone with the same purpose - to teach them about Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
It is eaasy today to judge a book by its cover abecause if a person is richly dressed a nd is arrogant and displaying itself a s better than others or domeone who has a superior attitude is easily for me to dit in jusgement on them. I seek in a church if it is preaaching and teaching the true gospel and where one's faith can grow a n d my spiritual life can be challenged according to s criptur e.

• 1 month later...

1) I try not to discriminate against anyone, but sometimes I do when someone comes in to church half undressed. I feel it is very disrespectful to the Lord. It really bugs me. I do, however, ask for forgiveness and I always greet these people and just leave the rest to the Lord.

2) A lot of churches today want to get folks with good incomes expecting more tithes and offerings. God forgive me if I am wrong. The church pastors/leaders try to impress them and will go out of their way to get them to continue coming like taking them to lunch or having them over to their homes for dinner. My feelings are that all people need to be reached, the rich or poor. All people are the same in God's eyes and should be in the Christian's eyes. I do believe that relationships are very important and sometimes a relationship starts at a dinner table which in turn may bring the non believer into church so that they can hear the word.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against?

I tend to discriminate against people who I think can do better and look for an easy way out. Remember I said "who I think." This may or may not be the case but it is an area where I feel that I have discriminated.

What kind of people are you (or your church) trying to make a good impression on?

I try to make a good impression on persons who are professionals and those who are in positions of authority.

• 1 month later...

I tend to discriminate against those that use the church for their own gain and against those who are actively dealing drugs in my community.

My church is not trying to impress anybody. We seek to please and honor God in everything we do. My church is open to all who want to be ministered to.

• 2 months later...

I tend to descriminate against those with influence, or those who are rich. I assume that they are full of pride, wanting to use their position to gain some power and control where they can. Yet, if I was rich, I might be just that type of person. I don't know, but it seems that we are in danger of becoming those very people that we find it hardest to forgive. Bitterness can take hold if we let it.

Donna

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that I tend to discriminate against people who are not "poor", but have borrowed and borrowed and are very materialistic. I hate being around people who talk about nothing but what they bought last week and try and outdo each other materially. Four by four drivers (eg landrover) who only need a small car in a city is such an example. I just cant take people seriously who have so much and yet when there is so much suffering in the world; never give anything to help.

I find myself trying to make an impression on people who are more intelligent than me and find myself dropping hints about my qualifications in case they think I am stupid.

Sometimes I wonder if at church we are all trying to impress each other by behaving in a much better way than we do at home. There are certain unspoken rules in place that we all keep to when we are together. Or is that just me trying to impress them, perhaps I am the only one...........??

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to discriminate towards the rich and the young who start jobs and earn at least 3 times as much as I do, despiute the fact that I ama trained nurse with years of experience. I know it's wrong for me to do this and I have been praying and asking God's guidance. Since my sincere prayers, I find myself saying, "it doesn't matter that they are rich. Some people work extrememly hard for their money and I shouldn't be the green eyed monster spitting my feelings of injustice toward them. Good luck to them." I then proceed to thank the Lord for everything that He has given me and I always remember that I am exceedingly rich because I am His child and He has saved my soul. I also hear myself saying words of genuine praise and admiration for the younger people who earn so much more than I do. Good for them as they work just as hard, if not harder than I do. The bitterness leaves and my heart fill with peace because my thoughts are now more congratulatory and genuine.

I used to try to make an impresison on just about everybody because I felt insecure. Thank God, I'm more at peace with myself now and I try to see myself through the eyes of Love, the unconditional love and acceptance of God. This really makes a big difference.

I have to admit that I tend to discriminate against people who are not "poor", but have borrowed and borrowed and are very materialistic. I hate being around people who talk about nothing but what they bought last week and try and outdo each other materially. Four by four drivers (eg landrover) who only need a small car in a city is such an example. I just cant take people seriously who have so much and yet when there is so much suffering in the world; never give anything to help.

I find myself trying to make an impression on people who are more intelligent than me and find myself dropping hints about my qualifications in case they think I am stupid.

Sometimes I wonder if at church we are all trying to impress each other by behaving in a much better way than we do at home. There are certain unspoken rules in place that we all keep to when we are together. Or is that just me trying to impress them, perhaps I am the only one...........??

Hi again Lizzie,

I agree with you, I also find that I personally behave better in church than I would outside of it. I watch what I say, how I say it and try to come across as a lovely woman. Thank God, He is still moulding us and we get better every day.

Tina

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:1-3) What kind of person or what kind of sinner do you tend to discriminate against?

I think i tend to discriminate the people who think they are so much better than others and those who always want their names mentioned whenever and where ever possible in the church.. I also discriminate people who makes large donations in front of all the congregation so that all will see what they have done and praise the effort. I dont know if they are any worse a sinner than the rest but after all I am not the person to judge them of their actions and speech..

I dont know about the church as a ahole but as for me I used to be a person who used to try and impress the senior members of the congregation because I wanted them to say good things about me..But sometime later I realised that its not them that I should try to impress but only God... now i do what ever i do to please God in accordance to the scripture to my understanding...

• 1 month later...

1) I have a tendency to avoid the richly dressed because their appearance suggests to me from several experiences with the rich that they present not themselves for relationship, but only their rich appearance for judgement. I have learned recently that I need to stop assuming evil of the rich, because there are some whom God has given richly so that they may have relationships with the poor by helping them. Nevertheless, relationships are intimate and richly rewarding only when both persons stand in equality relative to each other. This is what Christ has made possible, because His atoning work is super-sufficient for all; there are no persons in Christ who stood before the law with the ability to pay its debt and, therefore, there are no persons in Christ who were justified by Christ's blood more or less than anyone else in Christ. Christ has declared us all righteous. And he has called us all "light." Amazing. Jesus, through whom all things were created, calls us "light!" He is the same God who said "let their be light" - and there was. Therefore, if He said it, it must be true! Therefore, I dont care if I have fancy clothes or other stuff that wears out and gets old, because I have Light! Amen.

2) I am not sure if I am trying to make a good impression on anyone in the context of this question. I am trying to be who Jesus says that I am through belief, which I need more of. I am trying to be obedient to the truth of God's word about me, so that I realize its truth, and so that others will be made whole as well, instead of getting continually worse.