JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a man says reading is a good thing, but can't discuss any literature, we don't value his opinions about it very highly. His love is not expressed in the actions that go with it. Love and faith are active words, not passive. If I say that I madly/deeply love icecream but haven't had any in the last three years, it would make you wonder about the veracity and reliability of my words! Chocolate lovers eat chocolate - don't they? They believe chocolate will give them the buzz they need. The substance of our faith is in the actions we take because of it. Faith without action lacks substance, credibility, reality. It is unconvincing to say the very least.

It could be alive while not in action. I forgot about my faith for many years (for various reasons). When it did come to mind all of a sudden, I wondered what on earth I had been doing with myself all that time. I ran lickety split to the Jesus and started all over again with repentance. There are still prodigal son (and daughter) stories.

Deeds without faith are dead deeds. Faith without deeds is dead faith. Manifestation of true faith always comes in obedience to God and deeds done for needy people.

Without expressing faith through love , one cannot have true salvation or anything good. A personal, obedient relationship with Christ as Lord and the Grace of God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit work together to give us this Faith. By not responding our faith will die.

In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

As James says in the example in 2:16, what good is faith without deeds to others? Also, faith is not only believing, as the demons do, but also loving Christ and submitting to the Lordship of Christ which means doing what He has commanded us to do. "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." True faith cannot help but result in actions in the form of good deeds as the expression of our joy, hope, gratitude and love for Jesus Christ.

I suppose faith could exist for a short period without action but it might prove to be a false faith or as Jesus described in the parable of the sower in Luke 8.

If we limit our definition of faith to what we believe intellectually we misunderstand its real meaning. When Jesus said, "You must be born again" He was talking about a radical change in the way we live our lives. Thus our actions will demonstrate our faith.

These actions go far beyond such things as going to church on Sunday and doing all the "right" things from a legalistic point of view. Our faith will recognize needs which we can meet, people whom we can encourage, menial jobs that need to be done which we are capable of doing.

And these actions will not necessarily be visible. Intercessory prayer, praise and worship, waiting to hear from God, done in private will still arise from faith. Without these we can run ahead of God and our actions will be motivated by something other than faith such as our desire to receive the praise of man..

For it is kinda hard to be a true disciple, follower of Christ, if you do not share in communicating the Gospel to others, you would have to question whether you are truly concerned for the lost and if not are you truly saved.

Can faith be alive without action maybe if you were a hermit, in total isolation, but this would not be possible either for you could pray for others

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied

by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be

alive?

It does us no good to say we are going to do something if we don't do it. Their is no trust if we don't follow through. It becomes dead.

Hbr 6:10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of* love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. w can people trust us if we don't do what we say we will do.

:rolleyes:

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Faith is wonderful we all need and must have it. The thing with faith is that it don't do on its on. We can have the best of intentions and still nothing get down without putting our faith into action. We want all our brothers and sisters to prosper and to have all they need. God supplies all our needs according to his riches in glory. What a wonderful statement that is and it is true. The thing is God uses people like me and you to give the things that are needed. He can drop them out of the air yes with him all things are possible. He put us here to be a blessing so we are his hands of mercy and his love when we put faith into action.

Like anything that is alive faith is best when alive and moving. It can be there like a rock and never do anything but it is always nicer to see a tree with leaves and branches over that rock so we have those that will do and those that will not. Those that do and put faith into action will grow and the rock or those that sit and do nothing have all they will get. Thank you Lord we can let our faith grow and experience the things he has for us to do and help others.

In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

Because God's word clearly states that faith without WORKS is dead. That's a problem with the church realm today, most church's are dead, you can get more action in a funeral home.

In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

By showing action in our lives to see the things of God begin to develope. This is something God through His Holy Spirit , has been reveled to me , is that it takes 90% action from us too get re-action from God.

Richard S.

/

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Faith is always expressed in an action or "the act of faith." What we value and what we do as people is a reflection of what we believe. Our faith is revealed in our action. Unless we are absolutely convinced about our faith, we can never put it into action. And a faith like that is dead like a three dimensional creation of a lion that is not alive. Faith is alive only when it is powerfull enough to move the believer into an act of faith.

Faith,by itself,may appear to be the real thing,but can be deceptive. A person can go to church,listen to the word being preached,read the bible,etc,

but if their faith remains unconnected with their daily life,it is useless.

Faith,when not accompanied by works is dead and useless. Faith is not just a system of belief,but a way of life.

Unbelievers do works in hopes of attaining favor with God in order to be granted access into heaven.

Christians should do works so we can show the world what Christ has done for us.

Faith without action is not complete. When you have true complete faith your actions towards others will show. You can not have one without the other and be a true Christian and servant of God. Only alive if you show action of your complete faith.

• 1 month later...

James is not thinking of the moment of salvation, the beginning of faith in Christ, or new birth, but when man stands before the Judgment Seat of Christ. It is some time after the person has believed and has had time to produce fruit that James has in mind. What should be taking place in the believer

• 2 months later...

FAITH IS A GIFT FROM GOD. BUT FAITH NEEDS ACTION IN ORDER TO STAY ALIVE.GOD SAYS WITHOUT FAITH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE HIM.I BELIEVE IN ORDER TO PLEASE GOD WE HAVE TO PUT SOME FEET TO OUR FAITH.IN OTHER WORDS DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN GO TO CHURCH AND RECITE BIBLE VERSES.EVERYWHERS JESUS WENT HE PUT HIS FAITH INTO ACTION BY DOING FOR OTHERS...FEEDING THE MULTITUDES, HEALING THE SICK, GIVING OF HIS TIME AND HIS LIFE TO OTHERS. OUR FAITH HAS TO BE LIKE HIS...SACRIFICIAL, OTHERWISE WE'RE JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS OF BEING A CHRISTIAN BUT THE HEART IS STILL BEING DECEIVED.WE CHRISTIANS MUST REACH OUT TO THOSE IN OUR PATHWAY WHO ARE IN NEED IN ORDER THAT FAITH WILL CONTINUE TO BE ALIVE IN US. WE NEED LIVING FAITH.

FAITH MAY LOOK ALIVE IN SOMEONE WHO GOES TO CHURCH REGULARLY, READ THE BIBLE, ETC..BUT WITHOUT ACCOMPANYING ACTIONS OF REACHING OUT TO THE NEEDY IT IS DEAD FAITH BECAUSE IT'S ONLY SURFACE CHRISTIANITY...GOD BLESS..

• 1 month later...

Works show that faith is alive, by demonstrating practical Christianity. For example, feeding the poor in Christ's name. Without good works as a natural progression of faith then it may be just head knowledge a person has rather than a real conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

Faith, if not put to the test, does not grow. We must put our faith to work so that we may learn our place in the Kingdom of God. Faith is a noun and our action is the verb that puts feet to our faith. It causes it to move, to live and to have being. Without movement there is complacency and stagnation. With movement there is growth and life and being.

• 2 weeks later...

Faith without works is dead, :( we need to put our faith into action, each and every christian has been given a gift from God, we must step out in faith if we are to find out what our gift is.

( Example ) Hospitalitiy you can reach many unsaved people with a cup of tea, you might have a heart for the lonely, but unless you put your faith into action you will never no.how many lives you could touch. :lol:

• 6 months later...

If faith is not accompanied by action, it is merely a belief in something. :)

Faith is putting what you believe & trust into action. Activating faith. It is a lifestyle by which you live. :)

If faith is not accompanied by action, it is merely a belief in something. :)

If it is not put into action, then I guess it could be alive to the degree that one might talk to others about God & their beliefs & therefore lead them to Christ. {then hopefully the new convert will put their faith into action & maybe be an example to the person who witnessed to them.} :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...