JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Faith is believing in th Lord Jesus, trusting. Trust is a demonstrated act, openly shown. We do this by doing the works that He did; preaching the gospel, caring for the infirmed, the poor and needy, showing compassion which is, love in action. That is living.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that James has said it completely. Faith without works is dead. What good is it to tell people to be blessed when you hold the very thing they need and do not give it to them. As a child of the Lord I have always felt that we need to do all that we can to build the kingdom of God and to reach the lost by any means necessary. Jesus asked the question "Lovest thou me?" Peter answered "yes lord you know that I love you". Jesus answered back "Feed my sheep". This is a call to action. A call to DO something. Faith without works is dead. void. lacking and empty. Kinda like the salt that has lost its savor. It is good for nothing. That is not to put faith down because we need faith in order to please God but real faith will be willing to DO whatever it takes.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?
Dead faith is wherrre there is no action with it. It is just an intellectual faith or head knowledge only. Good works only plays no part of their daaving faith. /they aare absorbed with self thaat they aare blinded to see outside of themselves. A complete surrender to Christ would be only to become alive.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

Faith is dead when not accompanied by action because it is the action that gives life to faith. One could very well attend church every week and several times during the week, they could read the Bible every day; but if their lifestyle does not reflect what they have been taught and that which the Holy Spirit is imparting then their faith is dead and will remain dead until they begin to put action to match their faith.

In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Faith became alive when that which is heard and read makes a difference in the life of the believer. The actions of their everyday living portrays their faith for all to see.

• 1 month later...

As long as belief or faith remains in a person's head it is fantasy and means nothing. Therefore it is dead. When belief/faith is acted upon and lived out, it becomes a living vigorous faith that means something and impacts the world around me. Therefore it is alive.

People live out their deepest beliefs. If I am not living out my Christian faith, is it really a deep held belief or just a fantasy?

• 4 months later...
Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action? In what sense might (if that were possible) it be alive?

Faith is dead if unaccompanied by action because it just becomes a cult about self. Without acting to help the needy, faith can feel alive to believers if they are "having faith for a new car, money, more confidence, or even healing". It can become a self-help exercise. While I am not saying that we shouldn't have faith for Jesus to heal us etc.; unless we look beyond our selves and ask what God wants us to do then we are just spiritual naval gazers.

• 3 weeks later...

Faith without works is like a body without a spirit. Faith and works have a symbiotic relationship, thriving off each other. Faith is alive only when its host, the body, becomes active for the Lord.Action gives us the law of freedom in a deeper sense of the word.

• 1 month later...

We all have learned in school what makes the distiction between a living thing and a non-living thing, the ability of movement..Life in us is manifested outward by the movements or the actions.. So also faith for itself to be manifested in a believer has to be shown in actions expected of him..I am not saying that just faith is not good but it becomes meaningful only when we do good deeds in good faith..

Faith is made alive in the lives of all those people of God who lived according to the word of God, doing His deeds in this world shouldering the ministry of God in this world in what ever way they could...Actions are the spirit of the body of Faith which keep it alive.

• 1 month later...

1) Faith that does not eventually change life has not life. For we were baptized into the death and resurrection of Jesus so that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glorious power of the Father, we too may live a new (changed) life in submission and under guidance of the Holy Spirit. (Ro:6:2-4; Eph 1:13,14)

2) Faith without deeds may be alive for the newly born in Christ who, after being raised from the dead, need food (instruction) in order that they may be equipped for every good work (2Ti3:15-17)

• 3 months later...

Every man is given a measure of faith however it cannot grow unless it is exercised. We must act on what we believe from the Word of God, even when the results don't come when we expect them to. If we continue with the same measure, then we have not grown in our belief system. Abraham exercised his faith and was rewarded for it. If we never use it we have deemed the Word of God useless in our lives and threfore don't please God.

• 3 months later...

SINCE OTHERS CANT SEE WHAT'S IN OUR HEARTS, THE ONLY WAY FOR THEM TO KNOW WE ARE TRUE CHRISTIANS WHO LOVE THE LORD IS BY OUR DEEDS AND ACTIONS.WE ARE NOT SAVED BY OUR GOOD WORKS, BUT RATHER SAVED FOR GOOD WORKS.HOW CAN WE NOT HELP THOSE IN NEED AND CALL OURSELVES FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST WHEN HE WENT ABOUT DOING GOOD AND HELPING THE NEEDY? THEY GO HAND IN HAND WITH EACH OTHER.BESIDES, FAITH PLEASES GOD, SO WHEN WE LINE UP OUR WAYS WITH HIS WAYS AND OUR DEEDS, THOUGHTS AND ACTIONS WITH HIS, WE ARE REALLY WALKING IN LIVE FAITH AS OPPOSED TO DEAD FAITH.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (2:14-18)

In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

James is not saying that we are saved by faith plus works. I think he means that a faith without works is not real faith at all

• 2 months later...

The old saying, "actions speak louder than words", is very true. It's our true faith that gets us in motion for actions. The Bible tells us to help those less fortunate than we are. Everyone needs some kind of help. Maybe not physical but some uplifting words or encouragement of some kind. If we just sit back and think it's not our place we just fool ourselves. We sometimes have good intensions but don't follow through on what God wants us to do. We need to start taking bold steps of faith and do what the Lord wants us to do.

Faith will bring a person to salvation, works will bring the person to faith. They go hand in hand. Living your life daily thru faith can show your works in action. I find it alive when I step out of my "BOX" thus trusting in the Lord and allowing His power to work. I have also seen His power at work on me while what I thought was trusting in faith without going out to do works. I guess my works were working at home recoperating.True works and true faith will produce. Thanks be to God. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Basically James is saying that our faith can't be separate from what we do. If we just listen to the word and not act then we are deceiving ourselves. If faith is separated from life, our everyday activies then it is dead. The way James uses faith isn't a belief system, but a way of life.

• 1 month later...

In the dynamics of life, I must be available to help any human being who needs something that God has sent them in my path to receive. If I'm self centered I will not notice how to serve them.

If I can learn to love God and let Him touch and lead me then such "work" is a "work of love" and hence not work at all. The notion of sacrifice is non-existent, it is our to need please God our creator that eliminates the notion of sacrifice and turn it into a work of love for Him.

I am finding it easier to give more to the poor compared to before. I wonder if God wants me to give my life to this work after my children are finished with school?I don't see any intellectual value in pretending that I'm not wanting to do any actions of service. I want ot server Him more and hope my new job will please Him as a fight against Identity Thieves, and protecting the legal right of innocent citizens. I pray for Go's work to grow in me and for it to become more focused.

• 3 months later...

Just as DNA of a living organism is dead by itself, faith by itself is dead if it is not accompanied by action. Theory is always easy and easy to preach too. But to put it into practice needs the guts of a strong believer. Unless we are absolutely convinced about our faith, we can never put it into action. The Holy Spirit drives the faith into action. The works of the Spirit as envisaged in Gal 5:22 speak aloud. Even the devils have faith and believe in God and His powers. But that doesn't separate us from them. We have to do the works of the Spirit aided by faith. That is what separates us from the devils. That way our faith can become alive when put into action.

Faith is only real, and living when it is active, and shown to others and God in our actions. Inactive faih is a head knowledge of the word without practising it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (2:14-18) In what sense is faith dead if it is unaccompanied by action?

If someone believes he can achieve a goal and has no heart to proof it. Then his belief is considered useless or dead. So likewise a person believes to be saved in the Lord of love and yet cannot prove God's presence in his heart by showing His Love and Mercy to others. (The world want to see not only our belief but also the heart). Then his faith is dead without God. This type of faith is fake and fated to the doom.

Therefore to see our faith is real and alive is, to see our life behaving Christliked by the power of the Holy Spirit after we have been born again in receiving Christ Jesus as our personal saviour.

• 5 weeks later...

Faith is a verb as well as a noun. It launches you in a relationship with the Lord and others by action. You can think what you want but until action starts it is unrecognisable. It is the expression of the gift of free will. Blessings

• 11 months later...