JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q19. Selfishness vs. Humility

Bitter envy and self ambition are man driven. and man centered. We are striving for only our own gain. Humility causes a person to strive to help his fellow man , organization or creat a common good with God as his guide and support.

God is striving in the background to overcome when envy and self ambition are at the forefront. The great "I" is the most predominant. We are being driven by Satan.

The quiet, self - unassuming person does so much more good in his work among his fellow man. Often this person is not recognized for his/her godly attributes until he/she has passed from this earthly life.

Boasting about your 'great deeds' shows your selfishness in your heart.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitter envy and selfish ambition is of Satan and the flesh and is self-seeking.

They are the results of pride and greed.

Humilty is of God and the Holy Spirit and comes as a result of a humble,purified heart.

Denial of bitter envy and selfish ambition prevents healing because it is impossible to be healed or delivered from a problem or a sin if we aren't willing to acknowledge it.

Boasting prevents healing because it is of the flesh and it shows that we think we don't have a problem.

Being selfish and having bitter envy means that you have envy for what someone else have and you want it. Being selfish is that no matter who you hurt you are going to go for whatever it is that you want regardless of anyone's feelings. With these things you are showing that you have no humility for anyone and not even for yourself. This goes against what God and Jesus Christ has taught.

• 2 weeks later...

If we envy - we are not humble. If we desire what God wants, we are humble.

If we our ambitious based on our own plans we are not humble. If we are ambitious for Gods plan, we are humble.

Envy and ambition which are not a part of Gods plans hurt us and hurts Gods ability to guide us

• 1 month later...

It is "arrogant" because it "boasts over wrong; to be proud in spite of wrong." It is self-deceptive i.e. to "lie against the truth." When we are jealous and motivated by selfish ambition we deceive ourselves. The lie is related to the selfish-ambition. Don

• 2 months later...

CHRIST HAD ALL AUTHORITY WHEN HE WALKED THE EARTH YET HE REMAINED THE MOST HUMBLE, NOT EXALTING HIMSELF OR BOASTING OF THE FACT THAT HE'S GOD .HE NEVER COUNTED HIMSELF BETTER THAN OTHERS BUT RATHER SERVED OTHERS, EVEN THOSE WHO HATED HIM. NOW THAT'S TRUE HUMILITY WHEN YOU CAN STILL SERVE YOUR ENEMIES!!!!.THIS IS THE DIRECT OPPOSITE OF THE SELF- LIFE WHERE I EXIST FOR MYSELF, MY AMBITIONS, MY PURPOSES.WHEN IT'S ALL ABOUT ME I END UP ENVYING THOSE WHO HAVE MORE OR DO BETTER THAN ME, BUT WHEN IT'S ALL ABOUT HIM I'M NOT COMPETING WITH OTHERS ANY MORE BUT SERVING THEM WITHOUT CONSIDRERING THE BENEFITS TO ME.

IF I DENY ENVY AND SELFISH AMBITION WHEN I KNOW I SHOULD CONFESS MY FAULTS TO THE LORD AND ASK HIS FORGIVENESS, THEN I'M DECEIVING MYSELF AND THEREFORE NO HEALING CAN COME TO MY HEART. THE LORD CAN ONLY HEAL THE AREAS OF MY LIFE THAT I SURRENDER TO HIM. HE NEVER FORCES ANYONE BUT WAITS UNTIL THEY'RE READY TO ADMIT THEY NEED HELP.

BOASTING ABOUT ANTHING WHICH IS PRIDEFULNESS KEEPS GOD AWAY BECAUSE GOD OPPOSES THE PROUD BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.BOASTING ABOUT SELF IS PUTTING ME FIRST WHEN GOD SHOULD BE FIRST ALWAYS.BUT IF I HUMBLE MYSELF BEFORE GOD HE WILL HEAL ME OF SELFISHNESS AND ENVY SO I'M NO LONGER EXERCISING GODSHIP OVER MY OWN LIFE.....GOD BLESS.........

• 1 month later...

Both the negatives cited are opposites to humility because they seek to promote oneself above God. Denying or boasting about these traits prevent God from dealing with them in our lives.

• 3 weeks later...

HUMILITY is the freedom from arrogance that grows out of the recognition that all we have and are comes from God. Freedom from arrogance is quite the opposite of selfishness. Our motivation in humility is to lessen ourselves so another can be greater. If we were to do that then envy and bitterness would not be an issue. There would be no room for jealousy. The denial of it hinders healing in that if we don't get rid of it there is then no room for God to do His work in our hearts and speech.

1 Corinthians 1:27-31 says: "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-- and the things that are not-- to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God-- that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." Healing comes from God and in order for that to happen we have to surrender to Him and admit we need His help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. (3:13-16) In what ways are "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" (3:14) direct opposites of "humility" (3:13)? How does denial of "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" prevent healing? How does boasting about these prevent healing?

Bitter envy is to want something that another has. Selfish ambition is to promote our own needs above all else. Humility is the opposite to the above in that a person with humility does not consider themselves first but looks at everything else.

This selfish attitude is inspired by the devil. We should seek God's wisdom which will deliver the need to compare us to others and want what they have.

John.

• 2 months later...

Envy and selfishness are manifestations of pride and pride defeats humility. These two traits are caustic and generate separation and wounded souls, inflicting great pain and suffering. Healing cannot occur in such an atmosphere. Once again, boasting is the same root causing of hurt, one's pride allowing the individual to believe that they had done some great thing of themselves when, in fact, all great things come from God.

• 3 weeks later...

In "bitter-envy & selfish-abition" we are mostly thinking about our self and what we can gain for ourselfs and also we tend to think that we a better than the other person. Where in "humility" we surrender ourselves and put our efforts into someone else and their needs. When deny ourselves about having "bitter-envy or selfish-ambition" we will develop a cold and evil heart. Then when we brag about accomplishing something we deny God and except the evil that is within us.

• 2 months later...

Envy and selfish ambition are all about self. Humility is about others. Preferring others over our selves. In todays society the going thing is me me me. God's Word says others should be more important than me. I remember as a young child being taught the way to joy. Jesus 1st, Others 2nd, Yourself Last! To deny that you have a problem with these (if indeed you do) is the same as lying. You will not try to change what you try to justify or deny the existance of.

• 2 months later...

Envy and selfish ambition are self centered reflections of ourselves whereas in humility we let go of our wants and desires. Denial (or even rationalization) of anything prevents healing. Boasting also prevents healing by taking us the opposite direction of humility.

• 4 weeks later...
Q3. (3:13-16) In what ways are "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" (3:14) direct opposites of "humility" (3:13)? How does denial of "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" prevent healing? How does boasting about these prevent healing?
If one os envious and bitter one thinks of onees own inteest and not of the other persons position. This attitude will onlu inflict more wwrong doings and feelings which foster an ungodly attitude and eats like a cancer. Pride goes befoew a fall.

• 1 month later...

A) Bitter envy/selfish ambition leads a person to do for themselves and put themselves first.

Humility leads a person to put others first.

B) Denial of sin prevents healing. Self ambition may prevent healing when it is all about self.

C) Boasting about what you have is sinful and very well could prevents healing.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (3:13-16) In what ways are "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" (3:14) direct opposites of "humility" (3:13)?

"Bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" are direct opposites of "humility" in that "humility" calls for one to put others before themself and to see others better than themself.

How does denial of "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" prevent healing?

Denial of "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" prevent healing because its root is in the heart of a person and in order for healing to take place one must have a pure heart.

How does boasting about these prevent healing?

Boasting about these prevent healing because it stores evil in the heart and not the purity of the Word which heals.

• 2 months later...

Bitter envy and selfish ambition are self-centered fruits of the flesh looking for self-glory, personal power, etc. whereas humility down plays the ego and exalts others above itself. Humilty isn't looking for self-glory, but seeking the glory of God.

Denial of these traits prevent healing because until a person recognizes they have a problem nothing is done to correct the problem.

Boasting about these traits only promotes them and healing cannot take place because there is no repentance and acknownlegement of sin.

• 4 months later...

Humility is submission to Christ. We have to die to Him before we can be born again. Bitter envy and selfish ambition is the "ME FIRST" attitude which seems to be so prevalent in our society. Denying that we have selfish hearts stops the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, as He will only work where He is invited. Many doctors say that 70% of illness is psychosymatic, if we are selfish and envious in our hearts, perhaps that is one reason for being ill in the first place. Without the work of the Holy Spirit, free to move in our bodies, minds and spirits, there will be blockages to healing.

• 3 weeks later...

Bitter envy is a sign of spiritual disorder; a life ruled by the devil, a life with no self-control. Selfish ambition disregards the feelings of others. Where Christians are to put others first, ambition that is self centered will walk over anyone just to get what they want. Humility is a life that is purified, led by the HOLY SPIRIT AND WHERE SELF CONTROL IS PRACTISED. tO HAVE HUMILITY IS TO HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING AND WISDOM OF THE WORD OF GOD.

These prevent healing because the heart is not submissive to the will of God and where there is dissent, pride and arrogance, the Lord cannot move in that person's life. These selfish ambitions and bitter envy are obstacles in the will of the Lord for one's life and they feast and thrive on self.

• 2 months later...

Bitter envy is a strong negative emotion harboured against another human being..Selfish ambition is thriving to reach a goal entirely for your own good no matter what it does to others...Humility is the act of submission and recognising the authority of God over all things and letting Him take control..so when humility helps us become 'People oriented', the other two are 'self oriented'...

For any act of healing the first step is the admittance of the fact that you are sick..so if one keeps on denying bitter envy and selfish ambition in himself and doesnt admit the sickness,the person cannot be healed...

Generally a person boasts about something when he thinks that he has something superior that nobody else has..So when one boasts about bitter envy and selfish ambition not only is he not thinking of these things as good but also thinks of these as things worth bragging about...And I dont think anybody will accept healing for a thing he considers worthy of boasting...

• 11 months later...

Q3. (3:13-16)

In what ways are "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" (3:14) direct opposites of "humility" (3:13)?

How does denial of "bitter envy" and "selfish ambition" prevent healing?

How does boasting about these prevent healing?

We have the worldly person who is only interested in advancing his own interests. It is whenever we find envy and selfish ambition that we also find confusion, disharmony and every other kind of evil. The worldly person is characterized by

• 2 months later...

Bitter envy and selfish ambition are self centerness. It's about making yourself look important. These traits say ME ME ME. Humility is self sacrificing. It's about others first. It's not about making yourself look special.

Bitter envy and selfish ambition can eat away at us and can distroy us. We have to be able to reconize our weaknesses in order for the Lord to heal us. These are deseases that need to be cleansed by the blood of Jesus. As the Psalm 139:23 & 24 says: Search me ,O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

The Holy Spirit will reveal to us the things that are in our hearts that shouldn't be there, those things that we don't want to believe are there. Then let God do what we can't do. He will do it if we let Him.

A good prayer to say everyday: Psalm 19:14

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Bitter envy and selfish ambition come from the powers of the earth,greed all for me about me, here you will wallow around in disorder and the evil of the world.When you boast on these evil ways you are in denial,and they become like sores, they just keep on festering but never heal. Humility comes from surrendering to Christ, your works and ambitions are for Christ and what you do and where you go you want Christ with you. This is wisdom from above. When you accept Christ He will show you these mistakes and heal you.

"[MY SOUL FINDS REST IN GOD ALONE; MY SALVATION COMES FROM HIM. HE ALONE IS MY ROCK AND MY SALVATION; HE IS MY FORTRESS, I WILL NEVER BE SHAKEN."PSALM 62 : :rolleyes: