JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q32. Wandering Sheep

(5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

To bring a child of God back to active faith in God is a great victory and brings glory and honour to God, while at the same time avoiding the potential shame that can be heaped on the name of God when a believer strays.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

"Seek the Lord while He may be found".

"My Spirit will not always strive with man".

These are sobering passages that indicate God will, in certain circumstances, let people go who have ceased to call upon Him. How tragic if that happens. We are to minister to those who are poor in faith and in danger of falling away from the calling to salvation. We can never know at what point God will give up on anyone. We don't know their hearts, what they're thinking and what they're going through in their minds. On the surface they may seem well balanced but that's only because they're dribbling out of both sides of their mouths at the same time! I myself have come dangerously close to abandoning my faith when I felt utterly let down by God. I've felt like Elijah. I've whined to God and even told Him that His lack of help is a deal-breaker. Thankfully He hasn't let me go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

The role of finding a wandering sheep (Christian) back to the faith is important because it will bring him back to the Lord, where he can confess and repent from his sins. Also, bring one lost sheep back could also help save him from physical and psychological sickness. It will help him from the error of his ways and cover a multitude of sins.      

• 1 year later...

According to James, "As the body without the spirit (Greek pneuma, "breath") is dead, so faith without deeds is dead" (2:26). Finding souls, and leading them to or back to Christ is an action done with faith that proves righteousness.

• 5 months later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q32. Wandering Sheep
  • 1 month later...

The Holy Spirit beckons, prods and convicts, not me. Ultimately, the Holy Spirit brings wanderers home, too.

Christians can be used to reel in other Christians who have wandered, but only after the Holy Spirit has convinced the wanderer that he/she needs to return home.

• 3 weeks later...

Q32. (5:19-20) 
In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. Dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?
We sometimes underestimate the power of our prayer, thinking, what difference our prayer will make, to someone else. Here James tells us to pray fervently for any of our fellow Christians who have wandered away from the truth. This can lovingly bring them back to fellowship with God and with their fellow Christians. We must realize the immensity of this ministry. First of all, we will save our fellow believer from dying prematurely under the chastening hand of God. Secondly, a multitude of sins will be covered – as they are forgiven and forgotten by God. Sometimes in our zeal to evangelize the lost, perhaps we do not give sufficient attention to those sheep of Christ who have wandered from the fold. So, James stresses our corporate responsibility toward one another. We have to exercise spiritual care to each other. 

Q32. (James 5:19-20) In the light of James’ emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

The Shepard searches relentlessly, and he calls again and again, and he doesn't give up until late into the night he finds that wandering sheep. And when he does, he is happy. He lifts that sheep over his shoulders and brings him back to the campfire and the sheepfold with joy and rejoicing, and invites the other shepherds to join him in a little celebration. If you are the wandering sheep yourself, then remember that Jesus is still seeking you out. He is gently calling your name. He so much wants to bring you home. He wants so much to save your soul from death. He has died to cover your multitude of sins.

On 12/17/2004 at 10:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q32. (James 5:19-20) In the light of James’ emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

its is important because it saves a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. on this i want to give a testimony, in 2019 i was in error, i wandered from the truth, i relied on my dreams and visions, and i wasnt even aware that i should compare them to the Word of God so that i wont sin, until one father who is called Dr Mojela confronted me one time at a prayer meeting that, i should rely more on the Word of God, it was on Monday morning and on saturday morning my husband confirmed the same thing about how we should rely on the Word of God, that brings life, they both did not deny that God does speak through dreams and visions sometimes but their emphasis was on the Word of God that brings life. i am forever grateful for their boldness because i realized later that i was indeed dead  just as the scripture says in Revelation 3:1 "i know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. my works were not perfect before God. With these two confirmations i repented and returned to the gospel of liberty. if that role was not played? only God knows what would have happened to me. i give glory to God!

Q32. (James 5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (James 2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important? In light of James 2:17, finding and bringing back the wandering sheep plays a significant role in living out our Christian faith in a practical way and demonstrating our selfless love.

You are Christs  body says the Eucharist, you are many, but one body,therefore if

some parts of the body have ceased to function it is absolutely essential  to restore

them to  working order otherwise the body is not going to function properly all are needed in entirety, the truth of this is emphasised by the parable of the shepherd

leaving the 99 sheep in safety and searching hard for the  one sheep lost. We have to care and look out for each other so that we can work together as a whole.

Q32. (James 5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (James 2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

We have a responsibility of locating a wandering sheep and bringing him back to the fold. To achieve this objective of saving a wandering soul (man) we need to have active faith that enables us to achieve this spiritual exercise by praying to God to empower us.

Q32. (James 5:19-20)

In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (James 2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

It would be terrible knowing that they never returned to the fold and were lost for all eternity just because I did not pray.  The parable of the lost sheep shows the importance Jesus placed on finding one in spite of the 99 that were safe.

I do pray even now and ask for loved ones that have wondered away, that they would be found and safely brought back to the fold.

• 2 weeks later...

(James 5:19-20) In the light of James’ emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

It is important because you will be saving that person from death and back to the Lord.

• 3 weeks later...

The role of bringing back wandering sheep is important because it shows faith in action rather than words. You are participating in winning and bringing souls back to Christ, rather than just reading that this is was is suppose to be done.