JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q32. Wandering Sheep

With nothing of more importance than one's salvation, what could be a better display of works by faith than to war for the soul of a lost brother or sister? To let a loved one wander away to certain death without doing a thing would be to be as spiritually dead as they.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

If all I do is pray and never go visit, or make a phone call, or knock on a door, or talk to the person in Wal-Mart, then I have inactive faith. But if I go and seek the person by any means necessary, and pray for that person and for myself for wisdom and love and compassion then I have Active Faith. It is so important to reach out to those that are lost or those that are hurting to bring them in to the fold, because that may well be all that it takes to get them in and save them from hell. How can we call ourselves Christians and not do everything in our power to bring them in?

• 2 months later...
Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?
A Chrisstian can have aa dea faith but is not motivaataed out of love merely out of obligation. AAbraham had faith and it was counted as righteousness and that was before he offeed Isaac.Osften the wandering sheep lose their wau w hen he lives in a mataerialistic siciety and is not challenged as w here he is in his C hristian life.

sheep follow

Sheeep and that is bad for wabndering away from the fold.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a huge difference in bringing someone back through prayer or physically finding him and bringing him back. The heading of this chapter is 'The Prayer of Faith'

Someone earlier gave an analogy of a small child at the end of the driveway, a truly wonderful visual of bringing him back to safety. However, when adults meander, they aren't as transparent as a child. And physically bringing them back is tough. Unless of course, prayers are constant When he/she returns, then we rejoice as a church and a body with Christ in unity again! Then we thank, praise and glorify God for answered prayers.

Prayers, prayer and prayers is the key role for 'turning' sinning sheep back. As James writes: the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. He writes about sickness, or being in trouble and saving someone from death. This is a role about constantly being in prayer for the hurting world and church. Action prayer, active faith.

From my own drifting experience, it was necessary that I become desperate and broken in an extreme way in order to come back to the truth. I believe prayers from others helped save my life. But physically 'finding' me would have been tough. To begin with, I didn't know where I was! Crawling back on my knees was necessary. I had to first turn from my way. Then I had to bring myself. Then I had to bring back myself. Then I had to turn myself back to bringing myself back. Then I had to bring myself back to God. Then I prayed.

'Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death' to me means praying, not carrying.

(**A praying role- please pray for James & Diane, John, Rob and Paul who have wondered from the truth. Thank you.)

• 1 month later...

It is the Church Membership as well as Pastors and Church Leaders to minister to the lost soul. If a member falls back in their Christian walk, then we should minister to them and do our best with the help of the Holy Spirit to bring them back to God. By doing this, we are obedient to God's word and God will rejoice and we will be blessed by bringing a soul back to the Lord.

• 1 month later...

It is so important because we are our brothers keepers. Jesus told us to love each other and for those who are as sheep wandering; we are to fervently pray in faith for them to return to the Shepherd of their soul and be saved.

• 2 months later...

Verse 19 describles a Christian brother/sister who has wandered away from the truth, either in doctrine or in practice. Another brother/sister makes this a matter of fervent, believing prayer, and thus lovingly turns him back to fellowship wth God and with his brothers and sisters in Christ.

How important is this ministry. First, he/she will save their erring brother/sister from dying prematurely under the chastening hand of God. Second, this act will cover a multitiude of sins. They are forgiven and forgotten by God.

In our zeal to reach the unsaved, we also must give sufficient attention to those persons of Christ who have wandered from the fold.

• 4 months later...

It is important because Jesus emphasised to us how the shepherd will go out and look for a lost sheep, leaving the whole flock to go and look for them. (Matthew 18). James says we need to pray because if they are lost they could die and be accountable for their sins. It is so very important to pray, it's life and death for those who have wondered away.

• 3 weeks later...

When we go out and find the person who has wandered from the Truth, we are sparing them from premature death. As Christians we are to look out not only for the poor and the needy but we are also accountable to God for looking after our brothers and sisters in Christ as we are all part of the family of God. When we bring back a wandering person, they may in turn go out and reach out to others who have wandered. The increase into the Kingdom of God is therefore intensified and increased.

• 2 months later...

James emphasises that "the faith without works is dead". The role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep constitute one that, of a person of faith in action. James is clear in mentioning that it can be an earnest prayer in faith that could do that or you can do that physically and face the person and help him realise that he has to get back to the loving presence of God and help him deal with the things that facilitated him wandering away from God. And this is an important ministry that we have to do in faith.

• 11 months later...

Q4. (5:19-20)

In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?We sometimes underestimate the power of our prayer, thinking, what difference our prayer will make, to someone else. Here James tells us to pray fervently for any of our fellow Christians who have wandered away from the truth. This can lovingly bring them back to fellowship with God and with their fellow Christians. We must realize the immensity of this ministry. First of all, we will save our fellow believer from dying prematurely under the chastening hand of God. Secondly, a multitude of sins will be covered

• 2 months later...

Faith without works is dead. Praying fot others is key. If we know of someone that has turned his or her back on God we should pray to get them back on the right track. God honors our prayers of faith. We pray. He does the work in the person that has wandered. We can't change anyone only God can, our job is to pray for them. We can guide them and minister to them but it is God who draws them back. Our prayers for a lost sheep that turns from his or her wanderings can save a life and covers a multitude of sins. Even if we don't know them personally(God does) we should pray for the lost. Prayer is powerful.

It is important for we as christians are here to do the work of the Lord. As James has said, faith without works is dead, so whatever gift it is that we are blessed with whether it be a prayer warrior a teacher a healer a listener etc. we need to use that gift, letting the Holy Spirit work thru us. We all fall short of the Lord Jesus but we who have been saved are at least on the correct path so that we can be used to bring others to Christ. Thru out the scriptures from beginning to end it shows Gods` patience and unending love. He doen`t want to loose anyone of us , we are all His children. What a joyous time when someone that I have known comes to the Lord, IMAGINE how EXCITED God gets then! Glory and praise all belongs to the Lord Amen. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

"My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him (psychē) from death and cover over a multitude of sins." (5:19-20)

In light of James 2:17, this verses means that as Christians we should not only by prayer but by both word and deed actively seek back the lost sinner. To me it makes sense. If we think of the parable of the lost sheep, the shepherd did not just set home and prayer, he actively looked for his lost sheep. We also see the parable of the lost coin. We must live in faith and act in faith. "Faith without works is dead."

• 3 months later...

If God put something or someone on your heart, pray and believe that God hears your pray.

I always liked the saying That you can't steer a parked car. If you faith is active God can direct you.

If you fear God you will listen more intently for his voice and when you hear his voice you will obey. Jonathan Edwards is his sermon "Sinner in the hand of a angry God" said that humanity hangs by a single spiders web over the pit of hell. With a flick of God's finger and we would all be in hell.

Ask God to help you pureify your heart.

God Bless

I found your posting helpful.

I agree with you that Satan is keen to weaken the faith of believers, by targeting the Christian in their thinking that they are ok with God, and going on their own paths, not allowing God to steer them.Those who have fallen asleep. we need to actively seek God in all things, to actively hear what he is saying to us. Faith and works is key, not just faith alone. We all fall short, but God is patient with us, and if we have a saving faith in Jesus, we are on the right road, and God is overjoyed when we bring another person to know Jesus too :)

• 1 month later...

When we talk about christian faith, we are also talking about God living in us. When we talk about God is real then He will urge us to bring back the wandering sheep.

Why? Because,

1) this is God's heartbeat.

2) multitude of sins be forgiven.

3) the sheep could be restored from destruction.

4) the defeat of the wicked.

5) for the heavens to rejoice over restoration of soul to God.

• 2 weeks later...

An active faith is the expression of the love for God and man. It is easier to steer a moving horse than one not in motion. If we are moving with the intention of love God can steer us in the direction that best serves Him. It is so vital to watch those who have known the love and Grace of God if they start to 'leave the flock' - to know and leave is so much worse than to hav never known. To have experienced that relationship and then rejected it. We need to be close to the Father in times like this. Pray for your fellow Christians and encourage them if you see them move away from their relationship.

• 11 months later...

Answer:

James 2:17- So also faith, if it does not have works, is dead being by itself.

You can Give without Loving..BUT YOU CANNOT LOVE WITHOUT GIVING..

GOD KIND OF FAITH IS THE CATALYST THAT LEADS US TO TRUST AND OBEY..TO HIS WORDS

• 7 months later...

In trying to restore someone to the fellowship of God, first one must pray for that person, pray with faith. But you cannot just only pray, you must DO whatever you can to help return that person to God. You cannot just sit around and wait on God to miraculously tell the person's brain to return to Him. You need to visit and council with the person and show love toward this person. You need to be doing something, taking some kind of action (keeping and seeking the will of God) while you are being patient and waiting on God to answer this prayer of faith.

• 6 months later...

Active faith is not willing that any “wanderers” should be lost. Matthew 18 demonstrates Jesus’ determination to seek and find the one wandering sheep. His concern for that one sheep describes an active faith. He doesn’t just sit and wait believing that the sheep will return. He actively seeks and finds the wanderer and brings it back. To me, that shows His faith by His works.

• 1 month later...

The role of finding and bring back the wandering sheep is so important is because if the person dies without believing in Jesus Christ they will be condemned to hell. And from what I have read about hell that is not a pleasant place. God has done everything that he can to bring us to the Kingdom of Heaven all we have to do is follow what Jesus has told and taught us.