JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Exalting the Humble

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I BELIEVE WE ARE TO HUMBLE OUR-SELVES JUST LIKE JESUS DID.WE ARE TO HUMBLE OUR-SELVES AND BE OBEDIENT.GOD WILL EXALT US OUT OF OUR OBEDIENCE,LOVE HUMBLENESS FOR GOD.WE MUST GIVE OF OUR-SELVES AND NOT EXPECT SOMETHING IN RETURN.GOD TRULY LOVES US.WE ARE ALREADY EXALTED BY GOD THROUGH HIS GRACE.WE MUST NOT BE IMPATIENT.OUR ATTITUDE SHOULD BE OF HUMILITY,AS WE SERVE,EVEN IF WE DO NOT GET RECOGNIZED FOR WHAT WE DO.WE CAN BECOME SELFISH ,IN CLINGING TO OUR RIGHTS.ASK OUR-SELF,ARE WE (WILLING)TO SERVE?

• 2 weeks later...
:D Q4.( 2:9-11.) TO BE HUMBLE LIKE JESUS IS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS US CHRISTIANS SHOULD LEARN WHEN WE ASK THE LORD INTO OUR LIVES! GOD WILL EXALT US, ONLY IF WE ARE OBEYING WHAT WE ARE HEARING FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT,IF WE DONT LISTEN,THIS WILL LEAD US BACK TO OUR SINFUL NATURE,AND WE DONT WANT TO GO THERE! AMEN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I had every intention to join this study group... however, the Lord is stiring some things up in our life... and I believe Satan is too...

we are pending a house in escrow right now and our adult children are not living their lives as controlled people... We have always had a very close realtionship, but now I have had to detach...

I will be starting a new job after 20 yrs, in a new area after living in the same house for 25 yrs... My husband is commuting 4 hrs a day and working 10 ... so there is a lot of stress to deal with... We are trying to get our home in shape to be a rental...

So, much is going on and would appreciate your prayers

thank you and God bless

• 1 month later...

GOD HIGHLY EXALTED JESUS BECAUSE HE HUMBLED HIMSELF AND IF WE ALSO HUMBLE OURSELVES BEFORE ALMIGHTY GOD HE WILL EXALT US IN DUE SEASON OR IN HIS SEASON.WE KNOW GOD WILL EXALT US BECAUSE HE SAID SO IN HIS WORD AND IF WE BELIEVE THEN WE WILL RECEIVE IN HIS TIMING.

WE GET IMPATIENT WITH THIS METHOD BECAUSE THIS IS GOD'S WAY OF DOING THINGS AND WE REALLY WANT THINGS OUR WAY MOST OF THE TIMES.BUT IN ORDER TO GET AHEAD IN GOD'S KINGDOM HUMILITY IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.

OUR IMPATIENCE LEADS US TO TAKE MATTERS INTO OUR OWN HANDS.WE SOMETIMES GET TIRED WAITING ON GOD. WE THINK HE'S TOO SLOW.BUT WHEN WE SIN BY TRYING TO RESOLVE MATTERS OURSELVES WE ARE SAYING TO GOD I CAN DO A MUCH BETTER JOB THAN YOU, WHICH IS PRIDEFULNESS. SIN ENDS UP SEPARATING US FROM GOD. I'VE HAD TO REPENT ON MANY OCCASIONS FOR DOING THIS.GOD BLESS......

• 9 months later...

There are many scriptures concerning the fact that when we humble ourselves, God will lift us up. he inhabits His holy mountain with the contrite, He accepts the sacrifices of the broken and contrite and on and on. It stands to reason that God resists the proud, so pride will not stand in His presence. It is that same pride that causes impatience because we feel we have the right to be lifted up in our time, not the Lord's.

Impatience leads to sin.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us? Why do we get impatient with this? What does our impatience sometimes lead to?

to know that God will exhalt us... is to hold on to His promises. Jesus, our Blessed Hope, will come for His redeemed. We get impatient because we are of flesh. Even though we are to "walk in the Spirit"..we have fleshy moments. Our flesh is constantly at war with the Spirit. It's our flesh that is at "enmity" with God. Humbleness is all about our surrender to His will. Meekness is the Christian POWER SOURCE! Whenwe don't submit we begin to think. It becomes, "God says, but I think". That is when we get in trouble. Our carnal minds don't want to be humble..it is against human nature. That is why we are to be of the Spirit, where there is no condemnation (Romans 8:1)

• 2 months later...

(2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us? Why do we get impatient with this? What does our impatience sometimes lead to?

We know as a matter of certainty that we will be exalted because Jesus promised it and He is truth so we can trust His word implicitly. His apostles also confirm this in Scripture. This too is entirely trustworth because it is the Word of God and, therefore, inerrant. I do not think that we should become impatient because the humility that Jesus requires us to display opens us up to a whole new world of love, service, relationshipa and experience. We should not be impatient with our growth in Christ. Paul tells us to persevere {2 Corinthians 4:16-18; Galatians 9:10] But impatience which is a manifestation of anger is the starting point of sin. Humility requires patience: it is part of the discipline.

• 3 months later...
Q4. (2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us? Why do we get impatient with this? What does our impatience sometimes lead to?

Jesus came to show us an example of how to serve others by being humble and patient with everyone we meet. we must follow his example and continue to love another even if these are our enemies. It is harder o love our enemies if not it will lead to a struggle with pride.

• 4 months later...

Our exultation by God is the premise of Christianity: the way we know is our believe in the promise of Jesus Christ. I don't get impatient per se, but I do act in ways that are not becoming to a believer of Jesus. I don't consider this to be impatience, but a shortcoming of me in particular and the human condition in general.

Q4. (2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did.

But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us? :

Because of our faith in the promises of God---- by His nature--this "exaltation" happens as an artifact of being a Child of God!

the promise is that we are being made Christ Like--and he loved us so much as to lavish the title of Children of God to us

This is in 1 John.

Gods "exaltation" doesn

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us?

We know that God will exalt us because Jesus himself told us, "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 18:14)

Why do we get impatient with this?

We get impatient with this because we like every thing done in the present.

What does our impatience sometimes lead to?

Our impatience sometimes lead us to sinning against God and not following His commands.

what does this matter to us? if we are simply submitting just to get something, we are off the mark. the lord said i will never leave you nor forsake you. paul said i know what its like to have and not to have. and the only thing that mattered was knowing god and making him known. impatience is saying i know better than god.

• 1 month later...

God's Word says that I should walk humbly with my God. That is what I am to do. If God exalts me as Has word says He will do, the when, where, and why of it is up to Him. I don't really care. All for Him.

Impatience sometimes, oftentimes, leads to disobediance.

• 6 months later...

In all of scripture, God never exalted those who were proud or arrogant. Instead, he always put his servants through times of trial and trouble until their hearts were softened to the point of true humility, to the point where they completely yielded to the Lord. Moses, King Nebucudnezer, Noah, Job, Peter, Paul, etc. All of these great men of God were so proud of their own abilities and secure in their mission until God gave them a slap upside the head. But it didn't end there. He followed that up with giving these men new lives, new missions, new purpose, and he used them for greatness that they would not have realized on their own strength.

We get impatient because we always want greatness on our terms. We do not want to be humiliated -- nobody on earth prepares us for that. We, in our human natures, do everything we can to avoid being humiliated. And then, God, who loves us, says - "be humiliated". It's counter-intuitive to our natural way of thinking. We avoid it, and we do everything we can to make sure it never happens. Of course, this drags out the whole process, because God will not bless us as we continue to exalt ourselves, which makes it all take longer, and longer, and so .... we get impatient.

In my case, my impatience has led to making some very bad choices about my career and personal life. Instead of thinking and praying through big decisions, I've jumped to conclusions and made significantly wrong choices. In the process, I've actually reduced my future to be in the hands of others, and I've put my family's well-being and security at risk. It might not appear like it to some, but I have a lot of regret, knowing that things could have been so much better.

Jesus says he will if we do what we are supposed to.

We get impatient because it is our nature to want everything in our lives to happen right now.

Our impatience will not only lead to us making mistakes but also missing out on the blessing of trusting Jesus in our journey to be like him.

• 3 months later...

Hebrews 6:10 says, "For God is not so unjust as to forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." I know I can trust God but I have to be careful or I lose my focus on him. It's in those times I backslide.

• 3 months later...

The Bible is the words of God , even tho He inspired different ones to write His words down to pass on to us and receive the knowledge of what God require of those that want a reighteous relationship with Him, those that look for Hope in this life now and the one to come everlasting life. Iam a firm beleiver that if God's devine and inspiring words says it then I beleive it . When we look at (James 4:10) we find these words "Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will lift you up". All we need to do is have faith and trust in the Lord and keep the Hope that heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will always stand to be true for ever . And wait patiently until God's appointed time for our time to be exalt.

• 5 months later...

We are to humble ourselves like Jesus did,but how can we know whether or not God will exalt us?

If I'm understanding the question correctly Revelation 3:21 says that the 'overcomers' will get to sit with Christ on His throne just as Christ was exalted by the Father and is seated with Him. From my understanding of Revelation, the 'overcomers' are those who are believers and will reign with Him. We are to live a Christ-like life and a humble spirit is part of it. So would it not depend on what we are basing our salvation on? If we are basing salvation on our humility, then it amounts to a good work which we would be tempted to boast about , possibly? Ephesians 2:9 says, not of works ( our humble spirit) lest any man should boast. Or am I misinterpreting the question?

Since a believer's being exalted by God will be in Heaven, our impatience would be due to having to stay on this earth rather than waiting for Christ's return. The problems on this earth can be very frustrating and a believer is bound to long for Heaven. But we are left here for a reason -- we are God's light shining in a sinful world. Hopefully the unsaved will see a difference in our lives and will ask us the reason for our being 'different'. We can then share the Gospel with them and they will have opportunity to accept Christ as Savior and Lord.

Possibly wanting to end our own life prematurely? If we have lost a loved one, we'd have a strong feeling of loss and want to join them before God's timing. Or am I missing the point of the question?

Sue :)

The Bible is the words of God , even tho He inspired different ones to write His words down to pass on to us and receive the knowledge of what God require of those that want a reighteous relationship with Him, those that look for Hope in this life now and the one to come everlasting life. Iam a firm beleiver that if God's devine and inspiring words says it then I beleive it . When we look at (James 4:10) we find these words "Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will lift you up". All we need to do is have faith and trust in the Lord and keep the Hope that heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will always stand to be true for ever . And wait patiently until God's appointed time for our time to be exalt.

I totally agree with you.

Sue :)

Lesson 3 Q 4

(a) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us?

We can know whether or not God will exalt us by believing the Scriptures. The climax of the hymn is the early Christian confession, "Jesus Christ is Lord". For Christians there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, who is one with God and shares God's Lordship, therefore if we believe this we will be exalted like our Lord Jesus Christ.

(B) We get impatient with this because we are human. We get impatient with waiting for God to work in and through us.

Hi Sue -- I'm a Sue, also. Guess I'd better be Sue D. now, though. I saw your name here and thought it was 'me' from yesterday. This is the first on-line Bible study I've done. Somewhere in this Forum, I've got a long answer to this question. So - from one Sue to another Sue -- we'll both be learning more about Philippians. :)

Hi Sue D.-- You're going to think I'm a bit 'nuts' -- Just located My response from yesterday -- So -- I'm 'Sue' and You are 'Sue D. When I was in college years ago, my dormatory roommate was 'Suzie' -- it was confusing sometimes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (2:9-11) We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us?

He has promised to exalt us : "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you.......and after you have suffered a little while, the God of grace Who imparts all blessing and favor, Who has called you to His own eternal glory in Christ Jesus, WILL HIMSELF COMPLETE and make you what you ought to be...." I Peter 5:6, 10.

Because we're human....because we still have our fallen nature to contend with, and life is a battlefield between the flesh which seeks to reign, and the Holy Spirit.

Self exaltation...forgetting that only He can lift us up. When we become impatient and try to do so, we end up walking in a prideful, puffed up condition, which is not exaltation at all, but is sin.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2:9-11)

We know we're supposed to humble ourselves like Jesus did. But how can we know whether or not God will exalt us?

We are to humble ourselves by subjecting ourselves to God in such a manner that we put our confidence in God alone. We should know that God cares for us and wants us to be completely dependent on him. In the presence of God, man ought to be fully aware of his own insignificance. Indeed, Jesus teaches that when a person humbles himself like a little child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (Mat 18:1-5). Because of the trials we endure, there is the danger that we may lose patience and courage to persevere; even knowing that God will not test Christians beyond their endurance. Paul tells us that God responds to our humility with exaltation. The believer who puts his trust in the Lord knows that God upholds this world and is in full control of every situation.

• 7 months later...

We can know and should know thatn God will "exalt" us when we have humbled ourselves because the Word of God declares this truth. There is also the evidence of this happening as we see this happening in the life of Jesus - this fact declares that the same will come to pass in our lives when we humble ourselves. . .

We get inpatient with this in most situations because as much as we would like to proclaim that we have crucified our flesha and mortified the deeds of our flesh - in actuality we are not as dead as we will be as we continue to progress in our walk with God. . . Also, as much as we declare that we are walking by faith and not by sight - we still have the tendency to walk or live more by our senses that in our trust in God. . .

Impatience has the tendency to lead us to doubt the Word of God which prevents the things that we hav ebeen believinbg God for coming to pass in our lives. . .James 1:2-8 (NASB)

2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,

3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.

7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,

8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

B)