JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

The concept of slave is somewhat different today for many people than what it was in the first century. The Greek used by Paul in verse 22 is douleuo which means to act or conduct oneself as one in total service to another. (notes) The slave had no life, time or space of their own. Their life was their master's, literally. The slave could be beaten, molested or murdered without any legal consequences to the master. Thus Paul sees that he and Timothy who are both slaves to Jesus Messiah are than in humble service to their master-Jesus. To Paul, and no doubt to Timothy, it was an honor and a privilege to thus serve the Lord. Our own age is different, people today wish to do their own thing regardless of the pain and suffering it can cause. We drink our cheap coffee and the coffee farmer works in poverty. We want to serve God in a preference mode rather than in a slave mode because than we feel that we can do as we want. Self is more important than Christ.

Jesus says when we put our hand to the plow we must not look back as did Lot's wife. we must continue forward.

Quality service is only given by a worker who is totally committed to the business. To give quality service to Christ we must be totally committed to Him. Servants come and go but a slave is there for the duration.

Workers who only serve from preference need not be totally committed and thus do not always give their all. And Jesus demands our all.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The significance of serving Jesus as a “slave” as opposed to serving him as a preference is that we will do all the things that Jesus wants us to do as a slave. But if we are serving him as a preference we will do the things that we think that he needs. Our quality of service will be much greater as a slave then it would be as a preference.

• 3 weeks later...

Serving Jesus as a slave means we do what He has called us to do, regardless of our personal preferences.  There should be joy in this kind of serving because our work is to please HIM, and not just ourselves or other people.  Such service is a good "litmus test" to see our motivations for our work for the Lord:  am I a God pleaser- or a man pleaser-or self-pleaser?  I need to let God change my heart and motivations so that I totally serve out of love for Him, and not out of selfish desires that can mislead others.

• 1 year later...

A slave is open to serve in any situation--nothing to deter him. if it is a choice or preference it will not be important to do every and in every situation.

The quality would be slip-shod--like the weather....

No commitment would be required...

They are supposed to be called PART TIME LEADERS!

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

To serve Jesus as a slave as opposed to as preference says that you humbly serve Jesus and you do so with utmost joy.  As a “slave” serving a Master who has from eternity bought my salvation I am so, so grateful; and I will serve Him with everything in me.  When one serves out of preference, there is always a chance of switching between alternatives.

To serve Jesus as a slave as opposed to as preference says that you humbly serve Jesus and you do so with utmost joy.  As a “slave” serving a Master who has from eternity bought my salvation I am so, so grateful; and I will serve Him with everything in me.  When one serves out of preference, there is always a chance of switching between alternatives.

(2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?  

Significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference shows the quality of our love for Jesus.  We are not doing it for form or fashion, but because of the love we have for Jesus.  We know that the Lord will reward us for the good that we do.  Serving Jesus as a "slave" would be a lasting relationship versus serving out of preference or just doing church work would get old quickly. 

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah,

Greetings,

1. When we serve Yahshua as a slave we give to Him our all. Whatever it takes, dying to the flesh, putting yourself on the altar of sacrifice to love Him with all your heart soul and mind. No matter what it is, we do as He did. He went to the stake as a lamb lead to the slaughter.

Serving Him as being a preference means you had to compare Him to someone. To prefer Him over another. That shouldn't be an option.

2. The quality of our service is to be one of obedience. If is to be a humble privilege to serve our Master. Being a slave to Him is a high honor.

3. Our commitment to Him gives us a high reward, His blessings.

4. Leaders who serve out of preference do no make Him first in their life. They make choosing Him an option. He should never be put on that level that is an insult to His divinity and who He is.

With much love in Messiah

FAITH

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah,

Greetings,

1. When we serve Yahshua as a slave we give to Him our all. Whatever it takes, dying to the flesh, putting yourself on the altar of sacrifice to love Him with all your heart soul and mind. No matter what it is, we do as He did. He went to the stake as a lamb lead to the slaughter.

Serving Him as being a preference means you had to compare Him to someone. To prefer Him over another. That shouldn't be an option.

2. The quality of our service is to be one of obedience. If is to be a humble privilege to serve our Master. Being a slave to Him is a high honor.

3. Our commitment to Him gives us a high reward, His blessings.

4. Leaders who serve out of preference do no make Him first in their life. They make choosing Him an option. He should never be put on that level that is an insult to His divinity and who He is.

With much love in Messiah

FAITH

Q3. (2:22)

Q. What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

A. Serving Jesus as slave means total devotion/ obedience and commitment as a previledge and with love. Anything else is in vain.

Q. What does it say about the quality of our service? Of our commitment?

A. When we serve Him as a devoted slave, we do it whole hearted and with clear and clean motive- high quality service!

Q. What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

A. They have the wrong motive and there service will not be pleasing to God

The significance of serving JESUS as " slave" lies in the word "serve" JESUS came as a King to us and made himself a slave for us...by that, I mean " what didn't He do for us? In serving Him as slave, we in turn are embodying Christ out of reverence and Love..His spirit is moving within us when we can gladly say that We, like Him, will gladly lay down our lives to Him. It's an all consuming, all surrendering devoted Love and it's beautiful.

To Serve Him as a preference is indicative of a Heart not consumed by Love for Him..a Soul not moved by the Holy Spirit. A mind not truly set on Him....

It speaks of our commitment as being resolute as The Father's

is for us.

It is a high honor to me to slave for Jesus be a use He died for me because He love me. He is my master. We are to serve Jesus wholeheartedly, whether at work or church. We are to work as we are doing it for Jesus. Serving out of preference sooner or later gets bored. You do not suppose to serve be a use you want to stand out amongst the people in church. That's why people drop out of church!

Q3. (2:22) 

What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? 

What does it say about the quality of our service? 

Of our commitment? 

What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

We owe our all to Jesus. Once I realised the enormity of His sacrifice and humiliation, I take on the most menial jobs not seeking attention on myself.

I serve Him with the mind of a slave and of a creature of His. 

Knowing I’m doing it for Him I try and give 100%.

We have to be careful of only wanting to serve Him with those jobs that are in the limelight – we must question our motives. 

I have only one statement to say: “Stay away from all Christian Churches, and learn the Word of God, and live by His commandments”.

As per the Word of God:

Rev 18:4  And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Rev 18:5  For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. 

We serve the Lord as a slave because it is him whom we love and worship. To do the work out of preference will not bring honor and glory to the Lord, only ourselves.

The quality of service we give the :prd as his slave must be ti the best we can do and for him only, bring him honor and glory.

Our commitment to serving the Lord must be with our entire heart and soul.

Serving by preference instead of devotion to the Lord does not bring the Lord his glory and honor only for those who choose to serve for their own good will. 

No job is menial in my life, especially because I serve Jesus.

Even as a slave it is an honor and privilege to serve Him. That He accepted me in His fold, is totally awesome and I am so blessed and honored that He called me to do His work even at this late stage of my life. Age is no barrier at all to serve, and I am very active in my daily life. 

I live in an apartment block and I see a fabulous harvest every day and everywhere I go. I shine for my Lord and I am humble enough to say that people flock towards me. They tell me that my face shines. (I wasn't aware of that)

I am by no means bragging because God made me for who I am,  as He doesn't make junk, I am confident that I have been chosen by Him to do what I am doing, serving, bringing messages and starting a Bible study group next month.

I am so excited!

I am not looking at what other people should be doing, I do what I am offered to do for my Lord and Savior.

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" 

as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the 

quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders 

who serve out of preference?

1. We are to count it as a humble privilege, to serve the Lord Jesus Christ

as his willing slave is a high honor.

1. If we are just doing something, it can get old and boring. Our commitment

should be to "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,

because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he

is slave or free." (Ephesians 6:7-8)

3.The leaders that serve out of preference do not serve man, but they serve God.

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" 

as opposed to serving him as a preference? What does it say about the 

quality of our service? Of our commitment? What is wrong with leaders 

who serve out of preference?

1. We are to count it as a humble privilege, to serve the Lord Jesus Christ

as his willing slave is a high honor.

1. If we are just doing something, it can get old and boring. Our commitment

should be to "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,

because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he

is slave or free." (Ephesians 6:7-8)

3.The leaders that serve out of preference do not serve man, but they serve God.

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference? When you serve Jesus as a slave, you know exactly where your position is. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit and then you on the end. And you remain there as the feeling in your heart which means no pride.  Always LORD comes first and you come last. The acronym JOY works in you::  Jesus, Others, You on last.  You always serving and never leading.

What does it say about the quality of our service? Jesus prefers people with this kind of quality. Put Jesus and others first: before himself.  Like what Jesus did, He died for our sins although He never sin, but He take up our sins and paid everything.

Of our commitment? When we commit ourselfes to Jesus Christ, we take up our cross and follow Him as He wants us to do.

What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?  When we serve out of preference, we are only looking out for our own interest. Everything we do would be to our benefit.  Always thinking, what do I get out of this if I am involved. This means there is no faith there : no complete TRUST in our LORD JESUS CHRIST.  If I benefit, then I can do it, but if not, then it does not interest me to get involve.

A When we born again person God is provides us with the opportunity to    live a new life you now

1. Belong to the Lord, God's special child

2. Living by faith you walk with God

3. Consecrated to God, He will set you apart to live a holy life

4. Guarded by the power of God, you are not alone in struggle

Against the powers of Satan and the evil world in which we live

B. Your blessings come responsibilities...

1. There are obligations that come with our new opportunities

2. There are duties that come with our new calling

C. Indeed as Christians we are called to serve God...

1. We have been saved to serve others.

2. We are expected to serve God.

3. Every person has a ministry to service, we are expected to fulfill this duty as a child of God, be acceptable and fruitful.

To serve the Lord Jesus Christ as his willing slave is a high honor.  A lot has to do with the quality of our love for this Jesus.​

• 2 weeks later...

" Absolute surrender"which covers, I think, the Greek word 'douleous' what a goal!! Where do we find someone with those traits? to act or conduct as one in total service to another, perform the duties of a slave, serve and obey. What a wonderful character credit Paul was giving Timothy.

Serving Him as a preference? This individual is acting out his/her service under their own strength and will falter and despair eventually.

My quality of service needs to be  vastly improved.

Q3. (2:22) What is the significance of serving Jesus as a "slave" as opposed to serving him as a preference?

Answer: Serving with a mindset like of that slave makes one to commit everything he got, to give his full without any reservation. While serving with a mind set of preference is a total opposite of serving like that of slave.  

What does it say about the quality of our service?

Answer: Serving as a slave is a service of high quality, while the other may be half-hearted.

Of our commitment? 

Answer: Fully committed when serving as  slave, commitment may be partly when serving in preference.

What is wrong with leaders who serve out of preference?

Answer: They are not pleasing God instead, they please the people whom they are serving.

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 9:28 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To serve Jesus as a slave is to serve him whole heartily,as to not being devoted.

To serve in freedom, with and in the love of Jesus.

They are not devoted.