JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Allowing the light of Christ to be seen in your life daily by others is one way of Hallowing God's name.

We hollowed God in prayer by giving Him the praise and worship that is due to Him.

What desecrates the name of the Father, is when those who are called by His name say one thing and does another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

[/quote name = 'Sanctified']

A1. To paraphrase,''Father, hallowed be your name,'' means, Father, may you be treated with respect and honor that your holiness demands. If, when being surprised, we say ''Lord!'' or ''Christ!'' or ''Jesus!'' or ''God!'' we are using God's holy name in a profane and common way. Including, ''hallowed be your name'' in our prayers means that we are to approach the Father, not only with familiarity, but also with reverence and respect for His greatness and holiness. He is our ''dad'' but He is also holy.

When we use words such as faithful Father, loving Father, holy and righteous Father we are honoring God. As we worship Him by calling His many names such as Jehovah Gibbor, Adonai and Jehovah Nissi we are expressing our love and appreciation to Him for who He is. When we offer unto Him the fruit of our lips by expressing praise and adoration to Him we are hallowing His precious name.

The times when we flippantly mention His name in conversations as expletives desecrates His holy name.

We hallowed God by telling Him how much we love Him. We also hollwed God by walking in His word of truth.

We desecrate His name when we disobey His commands.

We "hallow" the Father in prayer by coming to Him with a heart position of brokeness,contriteness,humility and true repentance.

• 4 weeks later...
Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

We should begin our prayers as we live our lives, by reverencing God, giving him honor, praise and worshipping Him for who He and what He is to us, our Heavenly Father, because He is so worthy of all the praise, honor and glory that we offer up to Him.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

When we pray vain repetitious prayers, stock sentences or empty phrases. Unsaved people may pray like that, but God is not impressed by the mere multiplication of many words; He wants to hear the sincere expressions of the heart.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

All of our prayers sholud acknowledge God for who He is, Our Soverign Lord,our Father, Majesty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. We should begin our prayers by reverencing God and acknowledging who He is.

What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

We should begin our prayers as we live our lives, by reverencing God, giving him honor, praise and worshipping Him for who He and what He is to us, our Heavenly Father, because He is so worthy of all the praise, honor and glory that we offer up to Him.

When we pray vain repetitious prayers, stock sentences or empty phrases. Unsaved people may pray like that, but God is not impressed by the mere multiplication of many words; He wants to hear the sincere expressions of the heart.

All of our prayers should acknowledge God for who He is, Our Soverign Lord,our Father, Majesty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. We should begin our prayers by reverencing God and acknowledging who He is.

We should show honor and praise to God in our lives as in our words and prayers. Hallowed is your name - holy is your name. Our living should show this holiness.

We dishonor God by not living our life so others can tell we are living for God.

We can hallow the name of God when we pray by giving him honor, focusing on him and praising him rather than just asking for things.

By living a life that shows our love for a true God and always coming to Him in a respectful way always acknowledging that He alone is Holy and our Father. when we us His name in everyday language then we are not showing the respect and Holiness that He alone deserves. We should always call our to our Father in Heaven knowing that He is above all, in all and through all and with out Him we can do nothing.

When I put God first above all things, and share and live the Good News, I honor God as the holy glorious God that He is.

I dishonor Him when I chose my own way instead of His, when I mirror the world and not the love, grace, and mercy of the Most High God that lives in my heart. I try to be in the presence of God always, praying constantly throughout the day. I approach with reverence, thanksgiving and praise- For He is Elohim, our all powerful God.

• 2 weeks later...

"Clarise" June 1, 2008, 10:40p.m.

When we pray and give praises to God and use words (Holy, loving, awesome, merciful, Jehovah-Jireh, Jehovah-rohi, Jehovah rapha) that describe who God really is and what He is all about, we hallow His name. We, as Christians, desecrate and besmirch His name when we live contrary to what the Bible teaches. We should hallow God's name when we begin to pray by reverencing His name and using words that identify His attributes, such as those previously mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...

I think if we remember that God is holy and treat Him and His Word with respect and awe it's a good step toward making sure we hallow His name. People desecrate His name when they treat it casually and take His name in vain. When we begin to pray we should address Him in a respectful way.

We need to be careful when we say The Name! We are being disrespectful when we just throw The Name out there. Only with the upmost respect and honor should we speak The Name. We need to honor God and give Him respect when we begin to pray. Praising Him and honoring Him should always come first.

• 3 weeks later...

We should honour the father by giving reverence to his holy name by saying the holy one, the mighty one, and we should acknowledge him as our father the most high, plain and simple honouring him as our king!

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

As a Christ-ian, I'm named with my Lord's Holy revered Name...how I live my life should reflect Him to others.(I'm his ambassador and what I give to others should be His love letter written on my heart of flesh, rather than on a heart of stone.) My words to others should also reflect Him as He is...my loving King, Lord, Savior, Father,(I love Abba...Daddy), Friend. (I look forward to being able to call Him Daddy....my Dad was violent and abusive, and he was never Daddy, but I'm working toward calling my Lord, Daddy) My words or prayers to Him should reflect His Holiness as my Sovereign, rather than my casual buddy, but also I honor Him with honesty and intimacy, as well as with my praise and worship.

A life lived in unholiness, (sin), or to speak of Him as less than Who He is, or to use His name in cursing or casual speech as I hear young kids doing...(omigod...after every sentence).

By addressing Him with reverence, using His title...either as Father, or the familial, Daddy, but with respect and honor as is His due. To begin with praise and acknowledgment of awe & wonder honors or hallows Him....it also puts me in the right frame of mind to be addressing the creator of the universe!

When we come to the revelation of who we are in Jesus Christ, our lives and words are put into "divine order"...He is God and we are not. Understanding our ambassadorship in Christ and the fact that we serve a Holy God in love as His children helps as we walk in our sanctification.

Desecration and besmirching of His name comes in many forms, but primarily when His name is used as "every day" vernacular and slang without any consciousness that one is using God's name in vain. As a child, I can remember being taught the holy, reverent use of God's name...the name above any other name. The ways of the world today reflect the desecration of His name as His name is used as an "exclamation" and often for things that are negative. It grieves my heart to hear His name muddied on the streets of life.

When we begin to pray, we address Almighty God with reverence and respect. He is an awesome God....full of wonder and majesty.

What about our lives 'hallows' the name of our Father?

The ways in which we conduct our lives as Christians can hallow the Lord's name. Much as a child's actions can affect his earthly father's name or reputation, our actions as children of God can affect His name. If we follow His commandments and live righteously, then we are hallowing, or honoring Him and His name.

If we live not according to His will and word, we desecrate and besmirch the Lord's name. If we violate the commandment that 'thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain' we are very much desecrating and besmirching His name.

How should we 'hallow' the father when we begin to pray?

We should start our prayers by praising and worshiping the Lord. I think it is appropriate to praise our Father at the begining and end of all our prayers, and in longer prayers we should alternate praises with requests.

What about our lives and words 'Hallow" the name of our father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we 'hallow' the father when we begin to pray?

What about our lives and words "Hallow" the name of our Father?

Our name means something to us. We take great pride in naming our children and grandchildren. When we speak to other people about our family, we take a great deal of honor knowing that we are talking about our love ones, who are dear to us. When we use the "word Hallow in referrening to our heavenly father, then we need to take notice that we are speaking with a person of honuor.

What desecrates and besmirches it? We must first learn what the word desecrates and besmirches mean to each of us. The Webster Dictionary defines desecrates as treating a sacred place with great disrespect The Dictionary also defines besmirches as to make dirty, and not clean. When we apple these word to the word of God, we have all fell short of God's Gorly. The father we know and love, needs more from us then a foul mouth and lip service. Most of the time we dishonor God when we pray about during his will but we never seem to have time to complete God's word.

My life by itself can't make, create, or force by might anything to happen in this world, but through faith and the Grace of Jesus Christ I become more than an heir but a child of God. I can keep it holy through repentance, prayer, Bible reading, staying as close as His coatail. I also must realize the joy in being humble and weak to allow his strength to flow through me to others. I can besmirch and/or besmircha by leading a worldly life more than a Godly life or through simple things as worshiping idols. We hallow God when we pray giving him the praise and honor for directing and granting us life We should always remember when he first loved us. That is all I need to get me through the days.

The name of Jesus is the name that conquer satan. In my culture when you mention a name, you expect that name to save you. Whatever name you believe in, you expect that name to save you in times of trouble. In serious situations i mention the name of Jesus because I need help. In my daily conversations I mention the name of Jesus. I dont know, but i don't think I am belittling my Lord's name by calling it. For example If I miss my steps and I am falling down which would have been so disastrous I would just say Jesus and you see I am on my feet amen. If I bang the car door on my fingers, I will just scream Jesus and believe me the painful effect is neutralized by that great name. Like I said in my culture you mention dependable names as things happen to you so instead of saying my mother's head or whatever and nothing would happen why not say Jesus and my mountain moves, amen.

To hallow God's name means to remember that the Lord cares deeply for us, as we would care deeply for our own child, and yet to remember always that God posseses a unique and reverant Holiness that our earthly father does not possess. Thinking of God as a Father who loves me as I love my own child helps me to experience His love in a different and more meaningful way.

When we fail to remember this Holy aspect of God's love we fail to bless Him and to return His love in kind.

We may begin our prayers by reflecting on our blessings and giving God the praise for these blessings before we turn to our requests of Him. We can also share thanks throughout the day, at moments when we recognize God is working in our lives.

Reply1. Every aspect of our lives and speech must revere, praise and worship our Father in Heaven. We must live clean and holy lives as exemplified by his son, Jesus - joyful, contented, long-suffering, patient with our fellow men, loving, compassionate and always forgiving. Our speech must manifest our faith in our Lord - no gossip, no false withness, no problem causing, no divisive words, no anger provoking conversations, no dirty or profane language - the opposites of these desecrates and besmirches the name of our Father.

Thats is why we were created to hallow the name of the Lord; our lifestlye, the way we live must reflect hallowing the name of the lord, for eaxample, if we are called by the name of the lord we can't be loving the things of the world, we can't be swearing, or hourbouring unforgiveness and these things in our hearts; Our temple, our bodies must be a place where the holy God can dwell; we must be holy as He is holy, what comes out of our mouth will defile us therefore, we must revence God by speaking things that are spiritual, word that are of God, living the bible and bringing its teachins to life by declaring it into the atmosphere, letting God know that he is in control, he is lord, he is holy and his name must be praise. There is no other name higher than the name of the Lord and when we declare that in the atmosphere, thats worshiping the lord and hallowing him.

What desecates or besmirches it is when we call His Holy nmae in vain and when we are disobediant in not giving Him the praise that is due to his Holy name.

We should hallow the name of the father when we pray by first acknowledging Him for who he is;

One example is by not using the name of God in vain, it is by recognising the power of the name and its attributes. Also by not misleading people that Gods name is associated with evil deeds; for example slavery in history teaches that some countries desecrated other countries through perverse human acts and claimed its actions to Gods name and work.

To hallow our Father is to meditate upon the goodness of our Fathers name and attributes whether in our lives or others. For such adoration brings forth a heart of praise with gratitude for what God has done in our past, present and future. We could see this from another perspective that we as God's children have been given the privillege and honor to have access to Him through Christ in prayer. This continues to be a heart of gratitude that comes from recognosing the truth of his word.

• 3 weeks later...
Our lives should be set apart from the lives of those who live worldly ways, So we should respect God our Father by serving Him with honour and great praise and great love; hearts devoid of any unclean thing.

We besmirch His Name when we use it senselessly as if it means nothing but a group of consonants and vowels put together. His Name is way above that!

When we pray we should come into Gods presence with respect, acknowlegeing Him as our Father but not getting buddy buddy with Him.

Our Lives and words should "hallows" the name of our Father. How can we do this really? Hallow means "sanctify"

We should put God's concern before our own. God's will and desires are to be given importance over our own will and desires. The ultimate purpose and goal of our life is to Glorify GOD, our LORD. Certain deeds of our lives often desecrates and besmirch God's glory. How?

We put our desires in the first place and pollute ourselves by craving for this worldly lusts. We often glorify ourselves rather than the LORD. As said in Jeremiah, Accursed is he who put his hope in Man. But this is what we often do. Trusting people rather than the creator.

Strength, money, power, beauty and people may cause us to stumble. So, let's not give up hope. Let's continue to pray to GOD as we begin our day

Our Father who art in heaven

"Hallowed be they name"

God's name is already hallowed. We should only have to adore HIM and acknowledge HIM as we pray like this as our deeds and lives should bring honour to the LORD, our Father who is the creator of all things. As we pray like this, we are pleading to GOD to help us, HIS children to live a wortby life so that it will bring honour to the Father - who art in heaven.

LORD, help me and all Christians to live a worthy life to walk blameless before you.

Amen