JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Daily Bread

I think the world has a HUGE Influence on our thinking and our attitudes.

As the world sees it, I deserve this, I should take care of number one first, I'm worth it.

Of course this stems from the beginning of the world when Adam and Eve believed the snake (devil) and thought they could actually take control of their own lives and not have to depend on God. (I, is right in the middle of "sIn")

From there, it was all down hill. People got greedy for MORE power, MORE wealth, MORE, MORE. MORE.

I think it's just an inbred 'sin' nature in us that makes us want to be independant of Anyone, including, and espesically God. We still tend to listen to satin's lies far to much. That's why we need to stay tuned in to what God's will is for our lives and Depend on HIM for everything. Thats why the bible says we have to die to sin. We have to turn our backs on it and turn to God.

The bible refers to God as 'the bread of life'. I think it might mean that we are to feed on God's word daily to sustain us and prepare us for our daily needs.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think pride, overconfidence in oneself, false sense of self-sufficiency and security makes us feel independent of others. Sometimes too, someone may be unwilling to ask for help, if he/she has been previously refused help, dissappointed or frustrated, by past experience.

We seek to be independent of God for the pride in our hearts. We take God for granted for example, when everything seems to be going on fine with us, when we have chain of sucsesses, good health, wealth, and all we think we need for living a qualitier life. These false sense of self accomplishemnt reduces the influence of God in one's life. Example is analogy of the rich man as told in the parable of the rich fool, in Luke 12:16-21.

We should ask God for our daily bread, because He Himself is the bread of life. He is the provider of all things and He is the one that gives us the abilities to work, to make a living , make profit and wealth. (Deut. 8:17-18). Jesus Christ said, without Him we cannnot do anything. Our aspect of our livesis dependent on God.

We seek to be independent of asking others for help as we try to do things by ourselves, it is also a way of proving something to ourselves, whether we do it properly or not, at least we learn from it, sometimes, though we need help, we dont ask for it, because we are ashame to ask, afraid to be turned down or sometimes because of pride.

We seek to be independent to God during those time that we have not yet submitted ourselves to Him, doing things by ourselves, and all our times, ambitions and wants are all focus to ourselves, but when we had the personal encounter to God all these were change, be became fully dependent to Him in our daily living, the reason we are praying give us this day our daily bread. We might have good job, earning much for ourselves, but it is a blessing from our God.

• 1 month later...

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because we do not want look like beggers and also in the human point of view we want to show people that we are able to handle our own matters.

We also seek to be independent of God because we want to show how good we are, and we only seek God help when we are in problem.

We ask God to give us our daily bread , because is an abundant provider.He want us to look to Him in faith for our needs .Many times Jesus did not even know where He was going to sleep at night when He sarted out for the day , or how He would be fed .He trusted God at every turn .He doesn't want his children to be worried and afraid , but at peace and trusting.

• 4 weeks later...

We learn to take care of ourselves by not asking for anyones help and by doing this we can learn from our mistakes, good or bad. We are all very independent in our own ways but we can never be completly independent. Most of the time we are asking ourselves if it is the right thing to do at the time. We seek the indpendence of God because God listens to our wants in desires but in turn we will do what he asks from the word. By following a path of rightousness, we are doing ourselves a great favor. This great favor that God has given us is forgiveness

1. PRIDE. 2. PRIDE. 3. We must ask God each day to provide our Daily Bread because He is Yahweh Jirah. Only He provides what it is that we need to sustain us each day whether it is spiritual bread or physical. In the entire scope of things it is He that has given us our plan for this life as He has predestinated us. No matter the path that we choose, wide or narrow, it is Yahweh that guides us and give us what is needed to accomplish our journey. There is nothing that we can do of ourselves and He requires our dependence upon Him. When we pray and ask Him to fulfill our daily needs it is then that we surrender to His rule over our lives, humbling ourselves to the Almighty. We are mindful that He inhabits His Holy Mountain with those who are contrite and humble of spirit.

It all boils down to one word: pride. Pride, more than any other disease, is the deadliest because the whole time you have it, you feel invincible. Pride makes you think that everything is up to you, so that when everything appears to be slipping away from you, you try and work even harder. You become your own self-fulfilling prophecy, that everything is up to you, whether you win or lose. IT'S NOT UP YOU!!! God alone has that decision, and until we come to know Him as our all in all, He will allow us to lose all until all we have is Him. You were so right, Dr. Wilson, about how we come to Him when we have royally fouled up everything, but make it harder to find Him when life is good. One of these days, I'm going to write a book, playing off the title of a bestseller: "When Good Things Happen to Good People: How Christians Need to Handle Success."

• 4 weeks later...

- Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

Most of us are taught as children that we should be able to support ourselves an adult and to be able to take pride in the things that we can do for ourselves. People want to be proud of the things that they can accomplish on their own, so they don't want to ask someone else for help.

-Why do we seek to be independent of God?

A lot of people don't want to be dependant on God because if you are dependant on Him, then you will have to follow His "rules". People would rather follow their own rules straight into destruction, than follow a 2,000+ year old set of rules that most people believe to be "out-dated".

-Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Because we can't even breathe without God allowing it, let alone earn our own living.

• 1 month later...

We ask for bread,that teaches us the quality of being serious and thoughtful and self-restraint in the face of temptation.We ask only for bread,not for what we do not need.We ask for our bread,that teaches us honesty and industry. We do not ask for bread of others,nor the bread of deceit,the bread of idleness,but the bread honestly gotten. We ask for our daily bread, which teaches us constantly to depend upon Divine Providence. We beg of God to give it us.

• 2 months later...

I think that as Americans we have been taught to practice self-reliance and self-pride in our lives, and thus we try to do it all ourselves and to be independent of asking anyone else, including God, to help us. But as Christians in Christ

Guest MRose PD

Because God is the provider of all things that we need. Without God, we are nothing. Atheists probably think they are operating on their own. Psychologically, they believe in that, but spiritually, I know that deep beyond, their is the feeling of lack, which they psychologically fill-in with their science-based theories. But even in science, God appears to manifest many times, so I think, even atheists can get aglimpse of God once in awhile. They have yet to actually see, feel, then acknowledge His real presence in their lives. In time, they will, I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

I can only speak for myself. I use to prefer to have that certain aire that i am a man, tough, rugged, independent, superior in knowledge, and superior in ability. Now I reach out for help and guidance because I have learned the hard way in most cases. God has seemingly never attempted to stop me from doing much of anything perhaps to teach me since I was too hard headed to learn by that still small voice. I must ask God the Father for everything because the one lesson I did learn was He wants and expects me to depend on Him and to seek Him for all things; from the burger or steaks I buy to the car or truck I drive. It is a matter of giving Him honor and glory, to walk humbly with Him, and to His will. Nehemiah was a cupbearer of the King, Solomon ask for understanding and wisdom, and Jesus sought the will of His Father, so who am I to be an independent and doing my own thing. I think we also seek to be independent because we are by nature rebellious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Sin has such an inward grip on us that we think that life is all about "us." By nature we are at best "practicing deists." Sometimes even when we are aware of the need to depend upon God we are not certain of what God is responsible for and what we humans are responsible for doing. The fall of mankind has brought about a perversion in our thinking and we need liberated from it. "Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory," said Paul.

Not only does sin affect us, but our environment does as well. Most people in the U.S.A. have an over abundance of food and other material items that we take them for granted and don't see the need to depend upon God. We become practical atheists, that is we believe in God's existence but live as if he doesn't. These blessings have become curses when we begin to think that we can do without God.

How do we overcome that? We begin to pray and watch how God provides for us. We begin a "God watch."

:unsure: We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because of our pride. We want to do it on our own without the help of others. We think people will think us a failure.

We seek to be independent of God for the same reason and also because we feel so secure in supplying our own needs. We should ask God for our daily needs even though we earn a good living because God is the one who supplied that job or career. He is the one who gives us our health and strengh to do the work.

Things can chage very quickly,we should never take God's blessings for granted!

• 4 weeks later...

Our sin nature is seen as little children in the statement "I do it myself." We do not want to be dependant. We want to be in control. Truly our only way to be in control is to totally surrender to His control. He is our one true provider. He wants us to ask Him to give us what we need. He is our Father.

1. Because of our pride and self-sufficiency. we don`t like to be appearing to others as though we are weak. We feel emotionally powerful when we can stand on our own feet, so as not to be left out from the society. It is because of our rebellious self-dependant that makes us run away from God & want to do things on our own way.

2. We are to seek to be independent of God because He is our Creator and Fountain of life. Our Heavenly Father will always give us the very best as He is our ultimate provider & source of life.

3). Because all we have are His blessings for us. It is a gift from above and God is still on His throne as He wants us to look to Him for every provision. His grace is sufficient for us and His power is made perfect in time of need.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

We struggle with the need to be independent of others and asking others for help may show our dependence or inadequacy to supply for ourselves.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

We seek to be in the position where we have sufficient resources so that we do not have to pray to God and ask for things.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

It is God who gives us the ability, the health and the strength to earn a living. If we don't earn a living then we must look elsewhere for food. In either case, it is he who "gives" us our daily bread, he is our provider. It is the Father's will that we come to Him for every need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help for the good reason because we trust in God and know that all help comes from Him. For the selfish reason is that we are just too proud to ask anyone for help - many times we just want to make believe everything is alright when it is not and for the sake of pride we suffer the consequences of not asking for help.

We seek to be independent of God because some of us have what we need 80% of the time so we think we are doing well. The bills are paid, have a car, the husband etc - things are just good - so therefore we tend to rely on us and forget that God is our Jehovah Jireh our Provider - like you said it is not until we lost that job or get sick - our comfort zone got rocked. When that comfort zone is shaken that is when we remember Him when it should not be.

We should ask God to give us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves because no day belongs to us - one day we have food or a job and the next day we we may not so we should ask him on a daily basis to provide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Pride

I never seek to be independent of God - without Him I am nothing Sometimes I cannot pray -during chronic depression, but that is when God and my guardian angel pray for me and I know this.

My husband was self-employed so I was always praying for my daily bread. Telling God I needed help with payroll and He always got it for me. Telling God when there was no work on the horizon and to help us in mind body and soul. HE DOES!

We have to do things ourselves but when God is your pilot He puts things in your way to help you. Always ask for help with daily needs. That is one prayer that always gets a positive reply.

• 1 month later...

It is in the nature of all humans to be independant and self-sufficient. The flesh says I don't need you I can take care of my self. The spirit of the Lord tells us that in ourselves we can do nothing. Our flesh is enmity with God. Our flesh rises up and says I don't need God because I can take care of my self. The whole truth of the matter is that without God we do not have the strength to get out of bed much less be self sufficient. It is only through God that we live and breath. It is God who keeps the blood flowing warm in our veins.