JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Daily Bread

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

God did not create us to be independent. First on him completely since we can't earn a living or anything for ourselves we must depend on God. He is our only hope

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We seek to be independent 'cos of ignorance. The bible says God's people perish 'cos of ignorace. If you are ignorant you will think you have arrived or achieved by your own doings. Who made you to remain alive talkless of becoming rich or even whatever you are? It is God who is our maker. If people have real understanding of God then we will know that we can do all things only through Christ who strengthens us. I will hold my peace and ask God for my daily bread everyday we should ask for re-load of our daily supplies. It is peaceful to do this everyday. He is our faithful father, He wants us to depend on Him and He is dependable. I think it is not difficult for us in Africa to depend on God for daily supplies or what do people think.

If we are dependent on others, they can let us down. God will not let us down, but we think we are in control of our own destiny when we are healthy and have a good job. We are only fooling ourselves, though, since it is the Lord who gives us health and who gave us the intelligence and the discipline to be trained, etc. Every good gift comes from the Father, but since we don't see God's Hand coming out of the air to give it to us, we often don't see this. It takes time to develop a thankful, grateful, hunble heart, to begin to understand that but for the Grace of God, we could be living in a cardboard box in a dirty alley somewhere. I once heard about a man who had been a drug addict who came to the Lord, and he was homeless and lived in a cardboard box for a while, and he thanked the Lord for his cardboard box. That is the kind of humility we all need to have. We need to remember to thank the Lord for providing the air we breathe, the sunshine that helped the food grow, the water that refreshes us and keeps us alive, etc. etc.

We should ask the Lord to give us Daily Bread because it honors Him and acknowledges that He is the ultimate provider of everything that we have in our lives. WE can thank Him for our job. Especially in today's economy, one never knows when one might be laid off. We must never take these things for granted. Perhaps we have lots of food in our pantry, but today we need strength to be patient with someone at work. Or today we need the energy to take care of young children all day. Or today we need His peace so we will not be anxious and can be a light to those around us. Or today we need to ask Him for His love for the lost in our workplace, so we can be kind and thoughtful and draw them to Him through our loving interactions. To me, that is bread also.

Q3. We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because as much as possible we do not want to appear inferior in the eyes of our fellowmen. Most of us because we do not want to feel indebted and compelled to return the favor. A few do not know how to say "Thank You."

We must ask God to give us daily bread even if we can earn a living for ourselves because this is His will. Our daily prayer for provision keeps our relationship with our God unbroken and reminds us that everything is from Him. Humility makes us wonder in awe of our Father's Might and everlasting love.

• 3 weeks later...

We sometimes don't ask others for help because we may be in circumstances that inhibit or embaras our asking for help. We may have brough trouble on ourselves by excessive spending, having too many credit cards, having lost our jobs, etc. It may be that pride also features here.

We don't ask God for our daily needs because we like to keep busy hoarding up enough money so that we don't ever get caught short. Sometimes we don't ask God to supply our daily needs because we feel that He knows what our needs are. But God is interested in every detail of our lives. He longs for us to come to Him and tell Him our troubles and commune with Him because He loves being with us and longs to bless us.

• 5 months later...

Pride and a sense of lowering our self-esteem. We like our independence and want to do things ourself.

Asking God for "daily bread" is all inclusive of all our needs. We need to humble ourselves before our God and honour Him and recognise that He is the Creator and without Him we would have nothing, so it is a way of honouring Him and His word which says "He shall supply all our needs." He said we shall not lack anything . So it is a trusting and a time of obeying His word.

• 3 months later...

Many people are taught from an early age that they must be self-sufficient. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. We don't want to be dependent on anyone else, for fear? For pride? Or maybe we just don't know how? God wants to be completely involved in our lives, for we are his children. We should pray and ask for God to "Give us today our daily bread" because first, He is our Creator. He created a complete world with an atmosphere and food necessary for our health and survival. Second, He is our sustainer and provider. Bottom line, we are dependent on God for all we are and all we have.

Because our human side sometimes tells us we don't need others to help, but in reality we do need each other. God wants us all to be as one. I think sometimes times we seek to be independent of God because we ask him for so much all the time, we begin to think we are worrying him, even though I know thats not true. God wants to provide our daily needs. We should always ask God for our daily bread because he tells us to do it and because He is so good and He is God all by Himself. and we should give reverence to Him in all we do. He is there for us always whether we cn earn a living for ourselves or not. I am a living witness that he will PROVIDE! :D

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because in our human sinfulness we think we are "all that." From birth we begin to become more and more independent of those who care for us, eventually striking out on our own. Because of our pride, we believe we are able to handle anything.

In the same way that we seek to be independent of others, we also seek to be independent of God. Just as Adam and Eve thought they knew best, we think we can do okay on our own. That is why so often we try to work through challenging situations - to exhaust all options - before going to our knees, instead of starting on our knees. We have heard that "God helps those who help themselves," and that is the crux of the problem. We think we have to work it out to the best of our ability before asking the Lord for help. Instead we should ask Him to lead us.

We need to ask God to give us our daily bread as a reminder to ourselves of who and what He is - our creator and provider. We are nothing without Him.

• 3 weeks later...

God is our father. He knows what we need and he knows our desires. A lot of people pass there gifts up because they really don't believe enough that our Father in heaven is to guide us. He owns us. He knows what we need. I look back and realize today what I could of had with the blessing of God but because I was in a different place I realize today what kind of life God wanted me to have. He wants us to be rich live abundantly. I alway pray to ask for restoration and for now God to lead me into a life of him. To "give" us our daily bread is for us to trust in our Lord to guide us into a wonderful loving life here on earth. We need to let God lead us for he wants us to be so happy and joyous. I am grateful for this new beginning because now I don't even worry I let the Lord lead me into my daily life. I've been blessed and I want to share this "good" news with everyone. Believe and don't worry God loves us and he wants the best for us. He will never give us anything we can't handle. Be humble and see what we do have. It's not about money it's not about anything except the Blessing of our Lord. Thank you God!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dear sweet Amish/Mennonite mother-in-law who feels it is very loving never to ask anyone to do anything for her. Now this becomes a problem because she has to hint around about it and hope you get it right :lol: Then when you give her something, since you are guessing, she will say how much she appreciates it but never uses it, hangs it up, or puts it into her life. Thus you get the feeling that she really doesn't love what you have given. It is really quite humbling to ask someone else for something. I like being "independent" because of my pride. Independent can mean I don't need anyone. This is not what Christ taught. We really need each other. My mother-in-law doesn't allow her fellow Christian to have the blessing they deserve by doing something nice for her for somehow she sees it as a weakness in her that she does not want anyone to see. Christ wants us to ask of Him--to show Him how much we really need him.

• 4 weeks later...

We see independence because we want to be strong and show everyone that we can do it all by ourselves. We seek independence from God is because we want control of our own lives. It goes with the independence with the not asking others for help. We want to show everyone (including God) that we can do everything by ourselves. When we ask God for help we learn to be dependent on Him and learn that we cannot do everything by ourselves. We learn that He truly is our provider.

• 1 month later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

People in the world today have to uphold a certain image by gainig material wealth(fine clothing, nice cars,a big home). Having all these possessions make them who they are and asking for help would ruin thier image.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Well for me I dont think I seek to be independent of God, I just didn't understand the plan of God in my life.

Now that understand God's plan for me, I must depend on Him and not man for all of my provisions.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Our daily bread is our earnings. God provided the job that produce your earning,and we must continue to petition and thank Him for our needs(food, shelter and clothing).

Patricia

• 1 month later...

it is because we think we can do all things without any help from God, and it is our sin nature in us that causes this. It is because of false thinking

Satan has gotten us to believe that we don't need God and many have blinded eyes and blocked up ears for hearing God's word. Sometimes it is our pride and misunderstanding of what God is really about/

Just because God knows our needs already we still need to ask for our daily needs. God has given us the strength and the ability to work and it really is God who does give us our daily needs,

Problem: pride

If we are dependent, we are weak - and we don't want to be weak but perfect.

Being dependent on God doesn't feel as bad as being dependent on people - but we still don't want to be weak.

We ask God to take care for our daily needs,

we admit that He is the source of everything.

Even if we work for it - He must bless it because otherwise all work is in vain.

Therefore we put all our trust in Him and in nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because in our pride we may see it as a sign of weakness and failure.

Why we seek to be independant of God I dont know- pride? arrogance? easy living?

Why should we ask God to give us our daily bread? If we think of Jesus as The Bread of Life, The Word of Life and the Manna in the desert - we need Him each and every day to bring us closer to what the Lord wants us to be.

I think we have been taught in this society today, to believe if anyone helps us it isn't really acceptable. It is a hand out, it is not a respectable action. This concept has been taught for generations. When we come right down to it, accepting help from someone can give the impression of weakness. It is also a sign of strength (the giver). If we are able to help someone we are doing the right thing, according to Jesus. We then are behaving in a way that is pleasant to Him. Not asking or needing help is also a sign of success. We strive and work our hardest to be successful, but according to the World, and usually the Kingdom is an afterthought, if we even think about it.

I think we are raised believing that if we never have to ask or rely on someone else to help us, even if it means going without, that it is the right thing to do. So we try our best to never get into a position where we need assistance. Now the same is true for believers. We think that God is great and Mighty, that He is busy, or He may be disappointed if we ask for the smaller things that we need. We choose to put our faith in worldly issues or desires, even in ourselves. We become prideful when we choose to ignore God's offer of provision. We think we can have and handle it all!

I think that we should continue to ask God for all that we need, even when we think we have it all under control. When we become comfortable in our surroundings, that is when we let our guard down, and the Evil one can come into our minds and hearts. If we are strong we can recognize his work, but if we are not quite there yet, he can wreak havoc in our lives before we even realize he was there. He is notorious for creating situations which demand a decision to be made, and depending on your choice will determine our consequences. By asking God for our daily needs this could range to incredible lengths and depths, of what we may need daily. For each day is different, and new things will always arise. We need to be strong in our faith of God and believe that he does answer our prayers in part to help protect us from this world. We should pray and give thanks giving to him for what we have in our lives. We should not tolerate what is not the best, according to God only and not the world.

• 2 months later...

we seek to be independent because of pride. wewere never intended to live seperately, but to love one another as He has loved us.

We seek independence from God, again because of pride. God calls us "friend". He is my sustainer, and provides all the resources for me to have needs met and also for others less fotunate than us. He wants us to still be reliant on Him and tell him about our lives & ask for him for all our needs.

We may work, but he provides the "work", and through this helps us to help ourselves and others. Daily bread is also health, care, food, strength, all we need to keep going each day. :)

• 2 months later...

It is due to the fact that we are too proud to ask others for help. We believe we can do it on our own, but the fact is if we could do it on our own, why would we need help in the first place?

Lot of Christians lack the trust they need to have that God would take care of our daily needs, sometimes I have a hard time with that.

We should always seek counsel with God to ensure what we do is God's will. We do not know what tomorrow will bring, but God knows as it says Isaiah that He has plans for us!

Satan despised God because of pride.

We can look at pride as a form of idolatry when you see yourself being very good or righteous that you are above the rest, even above God.

God hates idolaters. If we think we can earn a decent living, get promoted coz we're good at what we do or close the deal coz of our magnetic personality, then that idoliZing your capabilties. Everything we have stems from the providence and mercy of God. he can snuff

out your life in an instant.

But we acknowledge that in Him we move and breath and have our being. Praying that He gives our daily bread reminds us that without His blessing we are truly lifeless

The spirit of unbelieve makes us rely on anyone for but the word says that we lack because we do not ask.we are always looking for instant help instead of waiting on God to manifest himself. God knows our needs and when we ask he shall supply according to his riches and glory in heaven.He has promised by his word that he will provide for us.

We all like to think that we can do everything by ourselves but the reality is that nothing happens unless it is God's will. We seek to be independent of everyone and God because no one likes to feel as though they owe anybody anything. However, we must learn that everything we have is due to God's grace . we ask for daily bread because it is God who provides us with the ability and wisdom to work so we must ask and thank Him for what he has provided.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3.

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

In our society we are so accustomed to doing things our way

• 1 month later...

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because 1) we all have some form of pride - we are afraid that when we ask for help, we lose all form of dignity; 2) others may not be able to help us; 3) we do not wish to be indebted to those who have helped us; 4) we want to be in a position to show off - that we have "arrived" through our own efforts.

We seek to be independent of God because the society that we live in is a 'i, me and myself" society. Modern self help gurus have come up with strategies for people to achieve success based on their characters, strengths, education, family background when actually all we have comes from God.

We should ask God to give us our daily bread because all we have - our health, our abilities, talents, paychecks, are all blessings from Him. If He does not provide for us, we will have nothing.

• 5 weeks later...