JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Forgiving

Q4 Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

We need to continually ask forgivenesss because when we sin we need to go to our Father and repent and move forward in an act of obedience. When we sin, we are only human, and when God see's our heart and knows we have come to him for frgiveness, he sees a willing heart to move on from our mistakes.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

We continue to sin and continually are in need of forgiveness. If we ask for forgiveness regularly we are set free from the burden of our sin and washed clean again. There are also consequences to sin and sometimes through forgiveness from the Father He also averts those consequences, but other times the consequences are unavoidable.

Unforgiveness on our part blocks God's blessing because it is difficult to hear from the Father and to understand clearly what He is saying in His Word when our hearts have sin and bitterness taking up space :( .

The Lord's prayer does ask for us to be forgiven AS WE forgive others, so if we are unwilling to forgive others how can we expect to be forgiven? Unforgiveness also goes against the command of loving our neighbour, which is the second greatest command in the Bible, after loving God with all of our hearts, minds and soul.

We should continually ask for forgiveness as we are human and we sin everyday. For us to have a right standing with God, we must continually ask for his forgiveness.

The Bible says we must forgive others if we want God to forgive us. It says we must forgive 70 times 7 which means as many times as possible. This is to enable us receive God's blessings and forgiveness because without God's blessings or forgiveness, we are like a walking corpse.

Q4. Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

We should continually ask for forgiveness because we are sinners. :ph34r:

There is no perfect man on earth. So forgiveness is something we must ask for continually.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?

Because God is forgiving and we must live in the example of Jesus who demonstrated the ultimate form of forgiveness. God forgives and we must also forgive in order to receive forgiveness from our father.

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

If we don't forgive than we can not be forgiven by our father.

Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

Since we live in a sinful body in a sinful world we should ask forgiveness for that reason alone on a daily basis. Matthew Henry says "Our daily bread does but feed us as lambs for the slaughter, if our sins are not pardoned. It intimates, likewise , that we must pray for daily pardon, as duly as we pray for daily bread". I also think that when we pray for forgiveness of sins it reminds us of who God is in all His purity and Holiness and who we are in our sinful state and what Christ has done for us. I think of the Hymn When I Survey The Wondrous Cross and how prone I am to forget just where I came from and the price that was paid for my sin.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

When we don't forgive others it is because our hearts are hardened and so we are not free to receive God's forgiveness and His blessings. First we must be sure there is nothing standing in the way of our relationship with Him and then we are open to receive both forgiveness and the accompaning blessings such as "peace , happiness, satisfaction and even the proper functioning of the body". (John MacArthur commentary on Matthew 1-7). Also think about someone who has been forgiven by you that by so doing they will see God's forgiveness for them by the cross of our Lord. The more grievous the hurt the more the grace of God is manifested in us.

John MacArthur also says "In the matter of forgiveness, God deals with us as we deal with others. The Puritan writer Thomas Manton said, "There is none so tender to others as they which have received mercy themselves, for they know how gently God hath dealt with them".

As always I have a lot of work to do in this area.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

We ask not only for our selves but for others also "father forgive them for they know not what they do". So we need to come daily with hearts of repentance and full of grace and mercy. Love in action.

Unforgiveness is like a binding chain keeping us in bondage to those whom we don't forgive. It is a cornerstone for building resentment,a stronghold for the critical spirit.It can lead to judgement and result in condemnation.

Give no room for the Devil

Forgiveness brings freedom and healing,It also reveals love and humility.

We were created in God's image and need to emulate his nature consistantly reveal God in us.

We continually need to ask forgiveness, because we continuosly sin, in word, thought or deed! Unforgiveness can block Gods blessing because by not doing so we are disobiedent to His command to forgive! Jesus said how can we expect God to forgive us, if we won't forgive others! Forgiveness frees us, unforgiveness imprisons us.

This includes forgiving ourselves as well as others. Sometimes that is harder for me to do than it is to forgive someone else!! I had to work awhile on that one. But God in His goodness, set me free!!!

Why should we continually ask forgiveness?

We all have the sin nature in us, after all we are human. Everyday we all sin in one way or another. So, everyday we need to ask forgiveness. I believe, also that asking for forgiveness every day gives us an oppertunity to review our own actions and motives. It gives us an oppertunity to make changes should we find that we are having to ask for forgiveness in the same area over and over. A check and balance kind of thing.

How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?

Unforgiveness opens the door and invites Satan right in. It leads to negative feelings of resentment, anger, bitterness, hate ... none of these are Jesus like. If we are filled with all of these we surely aren't looking heaven ward. They consume us and leave no room for Jesus or God's blessings. Makes for some easy work for Satan though.

How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

Though not mentioned in any of the readings I can't help but think, "Do unto to others as you would have done unto yourself." If we want forgiveness, then we need to forgive others. I myself, see no connection between forgiveness and eternal life ... eternal life is a gift. Forgiveness is an act. We are not asked to forgive others so that we will/can recieve eternal life. We are asked to forgive others, so that God will forgive us in the same like manner.

We should continually ask for forgiveness because we want God to forgive us and we surely don't want forgiveness blocked. As long as we are in the flesh we are in need of forgiveness. Forgivensess is helpful in so many ways; good health and healing for the soul. If we want God to forgive us we surely are going to have to forgive others. This is a must! This is the Word of God. This is a matter that we all can be prayerful about because it is not easy to forgive certain people. This is going to have to be with the help of God.

Because as the bible so truly lets us know as long as we dwell in this flesh the sin nature dwells in us, therefore, we daily are tempted to sin by thought, word or deed, and for that reason we need to ask for forgiveness daily. Also, offenses are often perpetual; the image of the offense continues to surface in our minds (mainly, because the guilty party is a familiar person who we are around regularly or have frequent reminders of); and because we have not come to live out the Word as found in II Cor. 10:45, casting down imaginations .....that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God and bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.

"As we forgive others," Jesus was careful to make it clear to us that only as we forgive, ae we forgiven. If we fail to bless others when we have opportunity, because of some unforgiveness we're holding on to then we are blocking the principle of blessing and being blessed.

Jesus told us in Matt. 6:14-15 that God would not forgive us our sins if we do not forgive others their sins. Jesus can not lie; if He said it it is so.

we need to keep asking for forgiveness because as we as perfected as we may be ;) we still sin. and all sin needs to be confessed, repented and forgiven- I do believe that unforgiveness on our part blocks the Lord from forgiving us and blessing us - He tells us this in His Word! I have those days when it is hard to struggle thru forgiving and I have to ask for help. and sometimes I think that I have forgiven and then something comes up to remind me and I have to forgive again- Most often, forgiveness comes easy but not always but I know that I can take things to the Lord and ask for His strength to forgive. huggles me- Marilyn Christine

Why should we continually ask for forgiveness?How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing?How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

1. We need to continually ask for God's forgiveness because we are constantly in a warfare between the flesh and the Spirit, as Paul indicated

in Romans 7/8. If we say that we have no sin, we decieve ourselves and the

truth is not in us. He that covereth his sins shall not prosper.

2. Unforgivness can block God's blessing, because, first, it is a SIN and God

said if we can not forgive others then He cannot forgive us. I thank God that

He has given us His Word, that "if we confess our sin, He is faithful to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

God is an incarnation of Holiness. Though he hates sin he loves sinners that is why he gave Jesus to die on the cross for giving us salvation.

When this holy God without sin is able to forgive others and love us with ever lasting love. We as his children should follow the same example. Though it is very difficult to forgive since for some of us the scar and hurt given by our loved one

We should continually ask for forgiveness because we are sinners and unforgiveness is a sin. God will not forgive us if we do not forgive others. If we want to be free we must forgive.

Unforgiveness on our part can block the blessings of God because we must forgive to be forgiven. It can block healing and health.

God freely gave His son to make atonement for our sin. Jesus was our example for forgiveness. If we do not forgive it's like we reject what God has taught us. God's Word teaches that we must forgive to be forgiven.

Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness

We ned to continually ask for forgiveness becasue we continually sin. Unforgiveness is a sin in itself, and sin always blocks God's blessing, we also pray a curse down on ourselves when we ask God to forgive us AS we forgive others. Holding unforgiveness in our heart is unrepented sin, unrepented sin can not be forgiven. We cannot hear God's voice or mercy when we hold unrepented sin such as unforgiveness in our hearts, so we cannot even by God's mercy offer the forgivenss in faith that God will help us. We must first acknowledge our unforiving heart, recogize it as disobedience, repent of it, ask God to help us be obedient. Then we have a open heart and channel with God to receive His forgiveness.

when we ask for God's forgiveness, we remind ourselves that we are sinful. In the same token, when we receive God's forgiveness we remind ourselves to forgive others...for we are to be Christlike.

If we harbour unforgiveness in our hearts...we tend to dwell into them and worship them like idols. That is unpleasing to God...how then can we be blessed?

We attain eternal life solely because God forgives..and He does so freely...shouldn't this mercy fill our little cups that it overflows to others too?

I ask for forgiveness because sometimes I might sin without know it. It might have been a thought or word. I think it keeps me humble to know that I need to be forgiven and I'm not perfect.

Unforgiveness is a sin, and sin separates us from God, ergo, blocking our blessings.

If we don't forgive; God can't forgive. It's a law. The Law of Forgiveness.

We should continually ask forgiveness because we continually miss the mark of God's holy righteousness! Even when we don't mean to.

A spirit of unforgiveness in me blocks God's blessing because I am in violation and disobedience of the core of His very character of love that forgives. It puts an unacceptable focus on myself. It closes the door of opportunity to demonstrate Christ to someone in sin.

It was a new way for me to state what the request in this prayer really means. The way I am willing to forgive is the way I'm asking the Lord to forgive me. He won't do for me what I'm unwilling to do for someone else. Unforgiveness can block God's forgiveness to me because disobedience always holds up blessings. It puts me out of fellowship with Him, out of His will. To receive forgiveness, He says one must confess and repent. I must be willing to do just that and release the offense and offender to Him. Then, He has promised to be faithful and just to forgive me, and the blessings can flow.

Being a people whereby "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God", we should constantly ask for forgiveness of our sins because they abound daily, even when we are not knowledgeable of them. The transgressions and iniquities committed require us to daily be forgiven. Our blessings are blocked because we do not keep His word. 1 John 3: 22 says, " and whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight." As the scripture says, "...if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins", this is a law of God that cannot be dismissed. God honors his word and cannot lie, therefore, He must abide by what He said.

We continually sin. Therefore we should continually ask forgiveness.

We are made in the image of God who forgives. It is His nature and part of our new nature. In effect, not to forgive is to deny God - as is not to love, not to believe. All of these cause a division between us and God that is final, short of our real repentance and return to obedience. God is unable to bless us in this mode because we have blocked His nature in us.

Seeing tht unforgiveness causes an indissolvable barrier between us and God, there is no way that we can receive His forgiveness.

Why should we continually ask forgiveness? How can unforgiveness on our part block God's blessing? How can unforgiveness block God's forgiveness?

We need to continually ask forgiveness from God because we are always sinning!! We sin even when we dont even realize we are sinning.

I think that when we cant/refuse to forgive someone else, ourselves - or even God Himself, when we blame Him for our hurts - we close our hearts, and in a way, turn down God's healing love to varying degrees. God can heal us from the inside ,but we have to trust Him. I think its appropriate not to trust other people, especially when they prove to be untrustworthy but we have to learn to let go and put our trust God alone.

I dont understand very well how God's forgiveness gets blocked from our unforgiveness. Only from hearing/reading that this is what happens - that God will only forgive us as much as we forgive others. I am reminded every day that He forgives me thru the death and resurrection of Christ. I pray for better understanding of this point.

Being the humans we are. we sin daily. We fail to honour Him. We fail to seek first His kingdom and right ways. We fail to do His will, preferring to do our own will. We fail to love those around us in the ways in which we love ourselves.

A commandment of God is to love our neighbor. In order to receive His wonderful mercy and forgiveness, we must reflect the same in our daily dealing with those around us.

If we are unable to forgive others, our hardness will prevent us from accepting God's forgiveness.