JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Changing God's Mind

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?  We can pray using His Promises and the examples in the Bible where He did change  His mind.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will? Since I believe that God answers all prayers, even if the answer to a petition or intercession is no, I believe He answer that type of prayer, but the answer will always be within  His Will. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/5/2005 at 8:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

We can change God's mind by praying His will and knowing His word. No, God cannot answer prayer outside of HIs will. We need pray His word, His word is what gets God to answer prayers according to His will. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2005 at 10:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

1. By praying His word, the truth, reminding Abba that He is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness, that indeed he is patient with us and thank Him for not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance, then ask Him for people to be given grace to repent and saved out of the troubling situation they are in 2 Peter 3:9 Yes this is how I would pray 🙏🏼 in accordance with who He is - immutable

2. Nothing is impossible or to hard for God so I won’t put Him in a box by saying, “no” outrightly. But I do believe He has made known the mystery of ‘His Will’ to us in Christ Jesus Ephesians 1:9 ‘The Word’ teaches us scripture is God breathed, so also should our breath words be in prayer. For example if your praying for someone to die cause they are a dirty rotten scumbag to you, it’s not God’s will, so try again.... pray for their salvation and ways to minister God’s kindness to them.

God is so much bigger than our finite brains can grasp. I praise Him that He has put eternity in our hearts! Eccl. 3:11  It is impossible to fathom God.  Can God answer a prayer for something outside the scope of His will--certainly: NO is an answer.  Prayer is relationship.  As we know God more, we understand more of the depth of His character as well as having our hearts transformed by His Word and His Spirit.   We can wrestle and petition in prayer until He makes clear His plan--through the answer we wanted or through changing us to see as He sees.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Changing God's Mind