JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Changing God's Mind

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will? :)

Prayer does change God's mind ,that is why we are asked to pray constantly,to watch and pray.We have an awesome God whose character.desire and purpose will never change,as we have learnt that these are the boundaries within which change takes place and it is prayer that makes it possible.We can change the destiny of men and nations with prayer so let us not give up praying.

God's will is good .perfect and acceptable and thank God He will not answer any prayer outside the scope of His will.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

We can pray confidently knowing that although God's character does not change, the circumstance does change.

I think God's permissive will allows for prayers that may not be within the scope of His will to be answered.

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

God is a compassionate loving God. If the prayer is earnest and loving and sincere I am sure God would answer it in the way that is good for us.

Am I being really niave - I thought nothing was outside the scope of God's will. Whatever God willed - that was it!

What do others think? I would be interested to know :huh:

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

Man repents from sin toward God; God is free of sin.

So when God changes His mind on something, it is a decision to change His actions without any notion of wrongdoing or sin.

A change in man's conduct brings about a change in God's judgment.

The doctrine of Immutability does not restrict God's actions.

It just means that God's character, desire, and purpose doesn't change.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside the scope of His will?

There are times God will answer a prayer that isn't within His will if we pester Him enough.

However, He will make sure we are unhappy with our choice and disatisfied.

He may give us the desires of the heart, but if what we want is out of His will,

it will cause leanness to our souls.

I am comforted to know that learned people have trouble with total knowledge of this topic because I am certainly having trouble getting my mind around it. What I do know at this point is that somehow God's changing of mind is in no way willy nilly as my changing of mind. My change of mind can be as fickle as which color shirt to wear out the door. And no amount of pleading prayer on my part, no matter how sincere or well intentioned, will change God from what is His unchangeable character

That is the God we worship, adore,pray to and follow. He is full of grace, mecry,love and kindness. Eventhough he is a righteous God, he is slow to anger and condemnation of the people he created. He never looses hope that we would repent of our sins and come back to him for forgiveness and acceptance. When sees truly repentant heart he overcomes with compassion and gives us another chance to be his children. When we come back to be within his will, he rejoices and accepts us. Here God is not the wavering one, we are. No, God never answer prayers that does not conform to his will.

• 4 weeks later...

Prayer can change God's mind without conflicting the doctrine of the Immutability of God when He has given a second way and you pray for His goodness to show.

Yes if His will was caused by unrepentance. When we go to Him with genuine repentance and pray in His will He is gracious to forgive and change His mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that God is broad and wide, that he can take any situation and turn it toward the furthering of his kingdom. And when we pray for something to change, we set an appeal with him he looks at it and sees if it also can be usefull for his purpose for us.I don't think he can or would answer a prayer outside of the scope of His will. It's not even fathable. When we step out of Gods will then the results are not His but the enemys. So He can't and won't change something to fit outside his will. I think this is a strange question

• 1 month later...

Our prayer can change God's mind when we pray according to His will. God is merciful, and never interested in the destruction of His people. So anytime we confess and genuienly repent of our sins, God forgive and pardon us, and change His mind concerning pending punishment againts us. Though God is holy and hates sin, the wages of sin is death. In God's plan, there is also repentace that leads to life. This does notconflict in any way with God's Immutability, as both plans are in accordance to His will.

God is only move by His will. He will not answer prayers that are outside the scope of His will. If God grant a petitition or prayer outside His will, it may ultimately not be in our favor, as the case of King Hezekiah revealed. In 2 Kings 20:1,God revealedto him that he will die. He however prayed to God to prolong his life and God answered his by by adding fiteen years to his life. The mistakes that he made during that fifteen years was what destroyed all his has ever worked for.

I believe that when God answers our prayer, it is always within the scope of His will, unless, we are hard headed that we make our own move contrary to what God is instructing us or do it the way we want to and we committed sin in order to let it happen/or answered - so - this is not within the scope of God's will.

God never plan to harm us but always give us the best - whether the answer is yes or no, God has always something better than what we think is good for us

• 1 month later...

When we pray according to God's will . we are changed , then God is willing to change His action to respond to our intercessions and peditions .

God can not answer a prayer that is outside of the scope of His will if we do not TOTALLY repent of our sins and seek His face.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God is moved by our compassion. He may have determined a great punishment for a sinful person, a great retribution for a lustful nation but through the prayers of His saints He can change His heart to offer redemption to the sinner. He can bring rain to a dry and weary land because our compassions aligns with His love.

God's will is that all would come to the full knowledge of the truth, and that none would perish. To that end He has established boundries, between the cover of His Holy Word. Outside of that, His will is immutable.

• 3 weeks later...

I see when I read the Bible that when nations or individuals repent God turns away his wrath. Gods grace

is far above that we even think or know. God can do whatever He wants to do He's God Master of everything!

• 1 month later...

The words spoken by us is what is essential to prayer.Our prayers makes a difference in what happens.our understanding of prayer will corespond to our understanding of God.We must remember that Jesus was emphasizing to us how to pray,not what to pray.Prayer is not to be offered to impress others, but to only

God's will.

When God is seen as desiring to bless us, then prayer will be seen as speaking to God.God will respond when we faithfully pray. Prayer will lead to a greater communion with God and a greater understanding of His will.

• 2 months later...
Guest MRose PD

No, God cannot answer a prayer outside the scope of His will. His will is for us to do good and be good, to follow His teachings and instructions and to be faithful to Him, in mind, body and soul. He is immutable with regards to this, but He is mutable when it comes to the way He manifests or executes or implements this.

God will always have His way, but He is flexible as to how He will have His way. Our prayers and intercessions may add or cause this flexibility. His final deed depends on how we respond to His warnings and/or anger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In our lesson prayer did change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of immutability of God because God's character, purpose and desire did not change. God had revealed to Moses what he planned to do but nowadays God does not reveal that information to us except through His Word. So I have a question, how can we persuade God to change His mind in this present time?

No,God does not answer prayer outside the scope of His will because if it isn't His will he does not hear our prayer.

• 1 month later...

We cannot change His mind from anything that is contrary to God's character. God is God, He will not be changed. When we pray asking for a different outcome it must be within the paramiters of God's character.

Prayer can change God's mind without changing His immutability because God respond to changed conditions. God will never answer a prayer for something outside the scope of His will.

1). When we pray, we must conform with God`s will in faith and fervency. With our sincere desire, we can be assured that we will get that we need, even when we do not know how to ask for it. We will get in accordance with God`s will because the Holy Spirit causes us to pray. No matter what is to happen, God already knows the outcome. God is in control and has the final authority. God answers prayers just not always the way we want, but in His own timing, He will surely act upon His word. :P

2). No, God will not answer in a way that contradicts to His word. God does not alter His characteristic for the sake of man. :angry: