JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Changing God's Mind

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

when someone changes his/her mind, it is often because new information has come to light that was not previously known, or the circumstances have changed that require a different kind of attitude or action. Because God is omniscient, He cannot learn something new that He did not already know. So, when the Bible speaks of God changing His mind, it must be understood that the circumstance or situation has changed, not God. He being holy, cannot turn to that which is evil; nor can He, who is the fountain of light, be the cause of darkness, and since every good and perfect gift comes from Him, evil cannot proceed from him, nor can he tempt any to it. The Bible is very clear that God does not change, neither His mind, His will, nor His nature. :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

I agree with the immutability of God, that his character, desire, and purpose do not change. But prayer can change His action. God wants us to intercede on behalf of others as the great intercessor Jesus intercedes on our behalf. Remmember an effective fervent prayer is what Moses gave and God relented.

Anything prayed for and not connected to give God glory is outside the scope of his will. We must pray for God's wills and ways and not ours.

Patricia

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If God was not immutable, unchanging, we would not know where we were! We know we can rely on Him who's promises are sure.

We pray for his Kingdom to come on earth and it will- He has promised-when the Lord Jesus returns we pray it will be soon.

God answers all our prayers but not always the way we would want. If the petition is outside the scope of his will then the answer will be NO

I think that if we are praying for something so great, that we could never accomplish it without Him, depending on what we are praying for God may need a little persuading. We need to remember that God will always find ways to remind us or give us opportunities to acknowledge his presence, and to learn and grow into amazing followers of Christ. Depending on God's will for us, we may not want or desire the exact same thing He has planned for us. If we are self-centered; then how can we expect God to change His mind about us as humans? Are we not the same as those who were before Jesus? We need to realize that without seeking His Kingdom first, we are no better then all who reject Him. God will always do what He has said, what He has written. What his Word says is the final authority, He never recants His promises.

Everything in existence is within his scope...except sin. If our prayers are centered around sin, or situations that will lead to sinful behavior, then how can we expect God to answer them? Sin removes Him from our lives. It makes Him move away from us. We will never come to know Him or experience His true feelings about us if we continue on the path that leads to destruction...sin. God's eternal love for us is so complete, that His wants us to have amazing and wonderful things all to bring glory to Him, for His praise. He desires for us to succeed in all that we do. Each step we take will happen with or with Him...it will be much easier, joyful, and company if we invite Him to come along with us. If not the journey will be long and hard... and lonely.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Immutability of God refers to God's character, holiness and purpose, which NEVER CHANGES. He is a holy God, a forgiving God who extends new mercies to us every morning. Whether we pray less or more or not at all is not going to change his character. But because He is such a merciful and forgving God, we can change His mind through our prayers and repentance. For example, if God were to pronounced judgement on a nation and the people of that nation were to humble themselves and pray and repent, God may relent and withdraw judgement.

If the prayer is completely out of God's will, the answer is No. However, God's will for us are like boundaries within which we are free to live and pray. So when we pray according to his revealed will and character, our prayers will be answered although in some cases, not in the way we expect.

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

The doctrine of the Immutability of God is simple that God is always acts according to who He is. He is love, holy, just, merciful, etc. He really didn

• 1 month later...

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? God's character, desire and purpose do not change. Who He is does not change. How He works in our lives can be changed through prayer and our change of heart.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will? Not generally. I have heard of some insisting on something they thought was right through prayer. God allowed it or gave it to them and then later they regretted their insistence. How important it is for us to learn that God's will is the best. He know best and He does have out best interest in mind.

• 3 months later...

PRAYER CAN CHANGE GOD`S MIND BECAUSE HE IS A JUST, LOVING AND FORGIVING GOD. NO HE WIL NOT

• 2 weeks later...

God threatened Israel with destruction, knowing that Moses would intercede. God does not change, neither His mind, His will, nor His nature "I the LORD do not change" (Malachi 3:6); but being consistent with His character God does show mercy when we repent. His way of dealing with us "changes" if we humble ourselves and follow His will. God's answer to a prayer for something outside of His will is "No".

• 2 months later...

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the

doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for

something outside of the scope of his will?

Changing in accordance with a prayer request can be part of the constant that is God. He is one who listens to and responds to prayer -- that is his unchanging nature.

I'm going with "no" on the second part -- God will not do something against his nature. The tricky bit is that, in theory, perhaps we don't totally know his nature, so he could do something that is contrary to what we thought his nature is. However I can't recall that happening -- I think we actually do have a pretty good grasp on his nature. He reveals it to us over and over and over in His Word.

• 1 month later...

The doctrine of God's immutability does not restrict God's action. It means that God's character, desire, and purpose do not change.A. J. Heschel has said, "No word is God's final word. Judgment, far from being absolute, is conditional. A change in man's conduct brings about a change in God's judgment." Jeremiah 18:7-10 - "If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents (shub) of its evil, then I will relent (nācham) and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider (nācham) the good I had intended to do for it."

However, I believe that God will not answer prayers that are outside His will. I see God's will as boundaries within which we are free to live and pray. In Moses' case, both alternatives were within God's will: A. destroying Israel and raising up a new nation through Moses, and B. preserving and pardoning the nation while chastising it. Moses didn't ask God to do something that was clearly out of his will, but to select another choice which was entirely consistent with God's revealed will and character. As we pray our minds are aligned with his will and our petitions and our intercessions are met with clear answers. So does prayer change God or change us? Both. As we learn to pray like Moses we learn to pray according to God's will. We are changed. But as we pray according to God's will, God is willing to change his actions to respond to our intercessions and petitions. We are after all his children and he is our Father. Jesus taught us: "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:9-11)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Prayer can change the out come of any givin situation as scripture gives us examples of this. GODs mind is beyond human comprehension thus it is hard to go buy a doctrine derived in mans mind. I understand it's pupose for theological study however it is are actions and prayer that changes outcomes.

I personally don't feel comfortable saying what GOD can or cant do. HE is allmighty nothing is to great for HIM it is GOD's choice do not put the LORD thy GOD to the test.

• 1 year later...

God can change his mind without changing who he is. He can make adjustments yet still be in complete control over the universe. It seems to me that the Bible show that He cannot repent but he can relent. However, we must be in His will if we want our prayers to be answered. He has made His will the necessary parameters within which we must be for God to answer. Here, God could have kept his covenant with Israel by starting over with the Moses. Since Moses was a direct descendant, he could the new patriarch of a great nation. The only way God could not mete out his justice would have involved total annihilation of the people of Israel including Moses. Then the covenant would be broken and God would have needed to choose a new people group to call His own. Praise God that the line continued so that Jesus could come to this earth to redeem us and remove the wrath that we deserve!

• 3 weeks later...

Prayer can change God's mind when it is based on what God initially wanted for mankind. God's will is not destruction of man but of life. To continue in the life God wants for us we must remain obedient and repent of any actions that God calls wrong doing. God may have said He was coming in judgement but a righteous mans prayers and repentance of the people will cause God to turn back from His intention. He will turn back and then restore that what was lost. He is a faithful Father to mankind. In all this there is no conflict to who God is!!

• 2 years later...

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

When we pray according to God's will, God,s mind swill not conflict with the doctrine of the Immutability The doctrine of God's immutability does not restrict God's actions. It means that God's character, desire, and purpose do not change. For example, Moses didn't ask God to do something that was clearly out of his will, but he asked God for something that was entirely consistent with God's revealed will and character.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

No. God cannot answer a prayer that is outside of the scope of His will. It has to align with His character, desire, and purpose. God's character, desire, and purpose do not change.

We are commanded in Hebrews 4:16: "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need".

• 1 month later...

I believe that God has a character that does not change. I believe that God has a holiness that does not change. I believe that God has a heart that does not change. However, I believe that God does allow circumstances of man to change according to the prayers and needs of the human race. I believe that God will counter act when evil upsets his designed plans for us. I believe that God will continue to try to keep man on the grand design of the ultimate future that God has in mind for us.

• 1 month later...

I think that prayer can change God’s mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God. We see that happens a lot of times in the Bible where He was going to do something but then changes his mind and does something else. God answers all prayers but sometimes it is no. So if the prayer is not in the scope of His will He will answer that prayer with a no.

• 4 months later...

The prayer of Moses changed God's mind. God who said in Ex.32:10 "My anger burn against the people of Israel that I may destroy them" relented after Moses prayed Ex.32:14. Like Moses when we pray with faith,fervency and fortitude, it changes God's mind.

Prayer outside the scope of His will cannot be answered by God.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

As the potter molded or shaped a clay pot on the potter’s wheel, defects often appeared. The potter had power over the clay, to permit the defects to remain or to reshape the pot. Likewise, God had power to reshape the nation to conform to his purposes. Our strategy should not be to become mindless and passive—one aspect of clay—but to be willing and receptive to God’s impact on us. As we yield to God, he begins reshaping us into valuable vessels.

Prayer is our approach to God, and we are to come “boldly.” Some Christians approach God meekly with heads hung low, afraid to ask him to meet their needs. Others pray flippantly, giving little thought to what they say. Come with reverence because he is your King. But also come with bold assurance because he is your Friend and Counselor.

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2005 at 5:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God’s character, desire, and purpose do not change but the doctrine of the immutability of God doesn't restrict His action.

God cannot answer a prayer for something outside of His will.