JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Changing God's Mind

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

God does not change and His Word is forever settled in heaven - however - as a result of our prayers HIS respose to man and mans sinful ways can vary in severity. When a parent is angry and disciplines the child out of anger - the discipline is different that it would be if you calm down and think things through and be rational. Often as a result of our prayers the situation changes and therefore God's reaction or response will be changed as well.

God will answer a prayer out of the scope of HIS will with a resounding NO! If we are praying for something outside of the will of God then we need to repent and change the desires of our heart.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God does not change and His Word is forever settled in heaven - however - as a result of our prayers HIS respose to man and mans sinful ways can vary in severity. When a parent is angry and disciplines the child out of anger - the discipline is different that it would be if you calm down and think things through and be rational. Often as a result of our prayers the situation changes and therefore God's reaction or response will be changed as well.

God will answer a prayer out of the scope of HIS will with a resounding NO! If we are praying for something outside of the will of God then we need to repent and change the desires of our heart.

• 3 weeks later...

God can and will change His mind if the prayer is within His will. Because it`s God`s purpose that we ask and seek according to His will. With our sincere desire, we can assured that we will get what we need even we do not asked for it, He already knows what is best for us. No matter what our circumstances is, God is in control and has the final authority in our life. God answers prayer just not always the way we want, but in His own timing and purpose, He will surely act upon His promises for us. Prayer will lead us to a greater communion with God and a greater understanding to His will.

No, God can`t answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of His will. We need to repent and change the desires of our heart. God will never alter His character for the sake of man. He loves us and He wants our whole being to be used by Him alone.

• 2 months later...

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God? Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

The Bible relates instances where God changed his mind in regarding a threatened course of action based upon the repentance or change of relationship with a person or nation. God's will is that all humanity would have fellowship with Him. I think written into God's will for everything is a certain degree of flexibility which actually accommodates His will.

Not to be flip, but God can do whatever He wants. However, I think God answers prayer based on His character and who He says He is as described in the Bible. That being the case, I don't believe it is a matter of "can God" but a matter of "will God?" I believe that answer is no.

• 3 weeks later...

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

Consistently pray according to the Scriptures, with Faith, Fervency and Fortitude, we can and will change God's mind. God has an indispensable duty to act upon His word. God promises and warnings are always conditional according to our obedience to his word.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

No.

• 3 months later...

How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

I've wrestled with the concept of changing God's Mind for a while and was some what confused about this until I realized that it is not The FATHER that Changes, After all our FATHER is Immutable and therefor never changing. Malachi 3:6 God Declares

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Exodus 32:30-33" The next day Moses said unto the people, You have committed a great sin. But now I will go up to the Lord; Perhaps I can make an atonement for you." So Moses went back to the Lord and pleaded on behalf of the people of Israel, Please forgive their sins, if not blot me out of the book you have written. Moses in this instance acted much like our Redeemer Jesus Christ, although he had committed no sin himself, he was willing to accept the punishment for those who had sinned. Mose's sincere prayer delayed punishment and God blotted the sin out of His book. However, God's will be done, although he forgave the sinner, the sin had to be punished, otherwise it was bound to be repeated.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will

Yes God can answer a prayer for something outside the scope of his will, the answer will be No. If it is not in His will, then it will not be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that God leads us to pray the prayers that bring about the things He intends to happen already, He brings us to an understanding of His will and Nature that without Himwe would never be able to understand. I don't think we would ever be able to second guess God but He is soverign and can make any and all things come to be. I don't think He would be changeing His mind but rather as Pastor said going with plan B due to our misguiding those who He wants to change or use.

I don't believe our prayers will change God's will. However our prayers if fervent will change the route or approach of fulfilling God's will. There are too many promises in the Bible that if we will fervently seek the Lord, and pray in his will, he is faithful to answer our prayers.

I believe the only answer to prayers outside of the scope of God's will is NO.

• 1 month later...

Prayer can be within God's will - like a river can move within boundaries. God cannot do anything outside the scope of His will.

As long as we are praying in His will, and we know what He says in His Word about the thing that we are asking for, God will respond according to His Word. That is what we must base our prayers on. So if I need help from God on an issue that I'm having, then I go to The Word and see what it says about that issue. Then, I go to The Throne of Grace and find help in time of need.

I know that God cares for me-He loves me. I don't need to take anyone's word for that. I have His Word right in front of me. I know that His Word says that If I don't know how to ask, then The Holy Spirit will help me. And I know that Jesus is interceeding for me. So, if we have this going on for us, then how can we be afraid or hesitant to ask? Not for nothin', but this is a win-win situation! God is good, and His mercy endures forever! Gloray!

I know that I already answered this, but I realized something that I forgot to put in my answer. When we pray, we need to ask forgiveness of course for our sins. When we ask forgiveness before we ask for ourselves, or someone else, then God, Who has forgiven us because we asked Him to, will be able to grant our requests, because we are praying in His will. God can not be in the presence of sin-He's too Holy! So we must be cleansed and forgiven in order for Him to be with us as we pray, and also to grant our requests.

So, anyway that is what I wanted to add to amy answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. How can prayer change God's mind without conflicting with the doctrine of the Immutability of God?

Immutability means that God's character, desire and purpose do not change...but His promises and judgments are conditional and may change. We find what His will is in His Word. I loved Dr. Wilson's explanation of God's will, as being like a wide river, and we can operate within the range of the river and still be in His will as long as we stay within the banks or boundaries. A change in man's behavior can bring about a change in God's judgment, but that doesn't mean He changed in purpose, desire or character. He may change His mind from judgment to mercy if there is repentance.

I love knowing that God has boundaries, and that He never changes Who He Is. That's a very safe, secure place to be, not having to wonder how He's going to be today, like a dysfunctional parent, when I wake up.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside of the scope of his will?

I don't believe He will do that. That would violate His character or purpose, so I will say "no" He wouldn't. These were wonderful thought provoking questions, and I feel as if I know the Lord better for having done this lesson.

I believe our prayers can change God's mind as to "how" something comes about...but He will not contradict His Word. His ultimate sovereignty will prevail, but we just "get there quicker" when praying His Word and His Will be done. The enemy wants to rob, kill, and destroy...God wants His children to live the abundant life. It doesn't mean "everything on earth" is perfect, it just means He is with us in the person of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit to bring peace in every circumstance and that is abundant life in itself.

Can God answer a prayer for something outside the scope of His will? Only in that He will say "No." If the issue is persistent sin and rebellion, I believe God will intervene in love to bring repentance. This is why I believe it is necessary to relinquish your will to God at the "get go." Be an Isaac...it is truly the only way. I am grateful that God has heard my ultimate prayer of "not my will, Father, but yours be done," even in the midst of "wanting things to be different (my way)," I know that His way is ultimately the only and best way. Now I actually pray that He kills every ungodly desire in me...get rid of it...any way He desires.

• 2 weeks later...

I think prayer is communication with god and Immutability is almost like Predestination everything is already been decided you have no input. Can God answer prayer outside of the scope of his will. Yes if you petition him as Moses did for there is nothing outside the scope of his will.

Prayer can change God's mind, if the change is consistent with God's character and overall plan. As stated in the lesson, the example I liked was of the rocket on a mission to the moon, and the course corrections made along the way. I think God works in this way, with a general plan, having boundaries to stay within, but not controlling things down to the second or atom.

God answers all prayer. If we ask for something outside the bounds of his will, we will find out that our request cannot be granted. If we ask over and over, persistently, God will show us that our request is not what we really need or want.

My God is all doing, so powerful and He is sensitive when it come to His faithful children so we just need to do our own part we should not be afraid to pray. God can do all, even if it means physically moving a mountain for my betterment i am not afraid. I know His thought towards me is the best. His will for me is the best. God help me to be faithful to you. I am not worried about Him changing His will all I know is that His thought and will towards His children will always be the best.

R4. God's nature is divine; His character is love; and His purpose our salvation. These are unchanging, immutable. I believe that God has predestined all of us to go to heaven - the reason for our creation; the reason for His plan of salvation thru His Son Jesus. Prayer is talking to God and listening too. remember the bad judge and the persistent widow? If that judge who did not know God and respected no one changed His mind about the widow's appeal, how much more will a God of love listen to and answer our prayers. In the end God will decide if He will be mutable.

The answer to all our prayers are always within the scope of his will. this is why we end our prayers, THY WILL BE DONE.

• 3 weeks later...

God remains unchangeable even though He can change His mind. He changes His mind when we pray because He it will still remain within the plans He had predestined. Nothing is outside the scope of God's will, however. He doesn't want evil to come to us if we ask for anything unreasonable. So His answer would probably be "No."

• 6 months later...

Ultimately, God does not want one to perish, so if our intercession is such that it causes lives to be changed to the glory of God, then this is His primary plan and I don't think it targets His immutability.

I guess God can answer any prayer if He wants to but whether He would is a different question. If we come with a heart that says thy will be done then it is going to be in His plan.

• 3 months later...

I can not comprehend the notion 'something outside the scope of God's will'. How can anything be outside the scope of God period?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes God can change anything he wants especially if it is for own good. God loves us and we are his children. He sits with us and talks to us and guides us but also loves us unconditonally. We can always count on Gods delievernce. I pray and talk to our father and he corrects me if I need to be corrected. This is what trials are for our own good. We need to be cheerful in our trials and thank God for his guidance. Being close to our father has brought me out of the world and into a place that I can't wait to be eternally. I think now above it all and I look towards heaven in my prayers. We are going through and we need to be for the poor, needy and to witness to all people who do not know the Lord and tell them the "good news" with delight in our heart and promise from our Lord. We all need to be like Jesus and better now that he is at the right hand of God. We need to lead our people to the promise. We are in a spiritual warfare with Satan and we need to talk to Gods people all people to get them to the promise land. This is our responsiblity by God. God wants to save all people.

Yes God can change anything he wants especially if it is for own good. God loves us and we are his children. He sits with us and talks to us and guides us but also loves us unconditonally. We can always count on Gods delievernce. I pray and talk to our father and he corrects me if I need to be corrected. This is what trials are for our own good. We need to be cheerful in our trials and thank God for his guidance. Being close to our father has brought me out of the world and into a place that I can't wait to be eternally. I think now above it all and I look towards heaven in my prayers. We are going through and we need to be for the poor, needy and to witness to all people who do not know the Lord and tell them the "good news" with delight in our heart and promise from our Lord. We all need to be like Jesus and better now that he is at the right hand of God. We need to lead our people to the promise. We are in a spiritual warfare with Satan and we need to talk to Gods people all people to get them to the promise land. This is our responsiblity by God. God wants to save all people.