JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Persistence

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham was persistently praying coming to God with "changes and modifications" to his original request. He engaged the Lord in a dialogue and continued until he saw an answer...it was a model of praying through and is something that is sometimes necessary, especially in crisis situations.

Yes...I have experienced "praying through" many times. My typical "pattern" (without being legalistic, mind you!) is upon the "situation," I ask the Lord for His Word....He is faithful to give me His Word ...usually is it several verses and one in particular or a passage of scripture that I stand on and pray through until the situation changes or is resolved. If the situation changes, I continue to pray and seek the Lord through His Word continuing to "dialogue" with Him for "steps to take" until resolution comes. Once the resolution has arrived...then I seek God for a closing Word and praise Him throughout for His goodness and grace and mercy. He is forever faithful and true.

That is my "persistence" before Him...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence?

I love this account of God working with Abraham to draw out his faith (v17-19). As He told Abraham what He intended to do with Sodom, Abraham "still stood before the Lord" after the 2 angels departed for Sodom. Then abraham "came close" and asked if God intended to destroy the righteous along with the wicked. He continued to negotiate out of love and duty for nephew Lot until he felt assured that God would spare even the 10 which would cover Lot's family. His stance, his coming close and his persistence are admirable!

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

Perseverance is a fruit of the Spirit, Christ's character being birthed in us, and involves persistence in prayer. We're in training to be mighty prayer warriors, and to rule and reign with Christ during the 1,000 year millennium here on earth, which will require persistence and perseverance. Persisting in prayer is obedience to God's Word where He tells us we must pray this way, because it requires faith, rather than a "whatever" attitude, and draws us into whole hearted union with the Lord.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Yes, many times. It's a struggle...a wrestling with God for what I believe is His will and purpose over sometimes horrendous circumstances. Over the years I've learned to ask Him for confirmation in His Word...a promise to hold onto and when it comes, the peace which passes all understanding accompanies it. The praying through I believe, is His way of teaching us to persist and persevere as He builds our faith during the wilderness of waiting...with which I'm very familiar. Two of these situations have been 30 year and 20 year periods and I'm still waiting and persisting and holding onto the promises He's given and reconfirmed. It's in this wilderness He's been teaching me to praise and worship Him by leading us to a church where we worship for an hour or more...until His Presence comes. The circumstances dim as worship is becoming more and more a part of my life, and I now understand is His weapon against discouragement and opposition which I'm battling at the moment.

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

The bible says we should pray until our joy is full. Pray until we receive the answers. This is different from vague repetition. It is vague repition the is not necessary but praying through is essential. We need to press forward. God has answered a lot of my prayers and there is this particular one that I am still praying through and I am sure the answer is coming, it is the salvation of my husband. God is a prayer answering God. I will keep on, I will persist untill I receive my answer on this issue. God healed my son, healed my marriage, healed my home just to mention a few. People of God can also join me in praying for the salvation of my husband. He goes to church when he has the chance but he is not born again. Experiencing praying through is like you receive an invitation to dine with the founder or GO of a living church or it is like God is talking into your ears. What I can call I have arrived. It is difficult to explain, I remember when I applied for a visa to visit a family member in London, before you do that you would have prayed and fasted by the way I am a Nigerian you can imagine how difficult that can be and if the application is now granted it a prayinh through experience. Shalom.

Abraham was persistent. Everyone who seeks finds and the widow kept persistently crying out to Abraham night and day until Abraham went to the Lord. That is what I call praying it through without ceasing.

Abraham asks God if he will save Sodom from destruction several times, each time with a lesser number of righteous people. Each time God says that he will not destroy the city. The thing that Abraham is getting at, is that he wants to save Lot, his nephew.

Persistance is necessary sometimes, I think, because God wants to be sure that we really do want what we are asking. He is teaching us that we need to want the things we ask Him for with all our being.

I am in a period of 'praying through' right now. I am asking God for forgivness for my sins, and to free me from sinful desires. Often times I feel a connection form, but sometimes it does not happen. Either way, I feel good after my prayers, for I am searching my self, and learning about myself as well as about God.

I want one day to feel what it is like to be born-again, and I do feel like that will come, given time.

R4. He did not leave God's side and what more, he asked and asked and asked concessions untill God said that for 10 good people He will not destroy Sodom after which Abraham feell silent knowing there was not that number. Abraham wanted to save his nephew who wasi in Sodom.

Before we ask anything in prayer we are told by scriptures that our loving God already knows our needs and is ready to grant them to us. Persistence is necessary when one believes that God will not grant what he is praying for. God has always provided for my needs when I ask Him for them in prayer, that is like "praying through".

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham wouldn't give up asking God to save Sodom for the sake of 10 righteous people, having started asking if 50 righteous were about, would He save them. His perseverance pleased God.

It is necessary to pray with perseverance because it shows our faith and it shows our passion for whatever we are praying for.

Yes, I have prayed through. Sometimes I became despondent because the one thing I prayed through took over 30 years to come to pass. Sometimes I let go and didn't hold on as Abraham did. But there were times when I had intense belief, yet I was impatient. I had to confess before God because my faith was tossing about on waves (James) but He taught me a lot about trust and faith and patience.

• 4 months later...

Abraham shows persistence in the way he pleads with God to have mercy on the righteous and not to slay them with the wicket. He starts by asking God if He would destroy even if there are fifty righteous people in the city and right down to ten. abraham needed to know if God would save even if there are ten righteous in the city.

He did not just ask once or twice he really wanted God to save any one who was righteous and he knew well that God was a just and merciful God who would not bring evil to any one of HIs children. I suppose Abraham just needed to know if God would show mercy and saved those who put their trust in Him.

Persistence is necessary in prayer as it create a faith building mechanism within each christian. Some times we give up so easily because we don't see answers to prayers. So being persistent encourages us to stand in faith believing God for answers. God wants us to be like Abraham, just go before Him and continuing to seek Him until we hear from him.

I don't think God wants to see His children give up easily. Jesus gave a parable about a woman who bothered a judge by persistently going to sort some issues out until he gave in to her. She was so persistent that she wouldn't leave him alone until he gave her the answer she wanted. God I believe wants His children to do the same when they go before Him in prayers.

Praying through for me often comes when there are difficult issues or intercessory prayer for others or situations I become aware of.

One of my most difficult times was when my dad passed away a few years ago. My relationship with mom was not the best and for me a best friend and mentor was gone forever from this world. I went through a period where it felt lonely and no one cares. So God came to the rescue and in the midst of my darkest moments, He told me to forgive and love mom regardless. All I needed to do was to pray for her and trust Him to restore back what the enemy robbed me of for so many years. So for months I spent time praying that God would heal mom and deliver her from bitterness, restoring a relationship etc. No visual change as a matter of fact, it seemed things got worse as i continue to pray. Bit by bit God removed things in my own life that caused me to see things in the way I wanted, and allowed me to see mom in His eyes and His grace. After 3years of praying I can surely say, that God is gracious and merciful. He restored my ralationship with mom and it's a beautiful friendship now blooming. It didn't take a week or months, it took years of sowing, pruning and watering in the prayers!

• 1 month later...

Abraham's persistence is shown in that he kept asking for God's mercy over and over again to see the righteous protected.

We need to persist in prayer for as we see in Daniel's prayer, he prayed for 21 days before the answer came because there was war in the heavenlies trying to stop his prayers getting through to the throne room of God.

Praying through is not easy. It takes persistence, hearing the voice of God and pressing in. As in Daniel's case it often takes days, weeks, or longer till breakthrough comes, and then there is rejoicing.

• 4 months later...

Prayer is the only thing I can trust. I trust God's lead in every way. You can actually see the sin in the world like you were looking into a mirror. You feel it you sense it and you turn away so easily. You hardly ever feel stress anymore or not joy. I'm always in joy and I always feel safe and easy. When the worlds crises enter your door we just know its going to be okay. Being presistent in prayer is letting God know he's always in your life. I wouldn't want the one person not to talk to me or be with me. I love knowing Jesus is right next to me good or bad. I respect our father in heaven like no other. I never worry even I go through trials. It's suppose to be. I don't question anything anymore. I know when I'm wordly and it bothers me so I turn my ways right away. Jesus knows this. We are just here temporitly. I only think eternily. I feel like I'm floating haf the time. It only almost makes me feel like I'm not here only spiritually. I feel strange at time. My prayers are my way of going back home.

• 2 months later...

Abraham shows persitence in prayer by pleading and urging God not to destroy Sodom if righteous people could be found. Abraham prayer really was a prayer of protection for his family. He knew Sodom was a sinful city that's why he refused gifts offered by the King.

Yes I have experience praying through. I am an Intercessor and we call it push(pray until something happens). About two months ago the Doctors gave me so many days to live, my Bishop, CoPastor, Intercessors, Ministers and Church family began to intercede on my behalf,"I am still here". Through my miracoulous recovery I've learned that nothing is impossible for God.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

Abraham keeps asking.

If God gives him one finger, Abraham asks for one more.

He tries to get to the bottom of the bucket.

God does everything in His time.

Therefore, in our eyes it looks many times like He just doesn't care.

Then we give up hope and stop praying.

We should not give up but trust Him.

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham shows persistence by appealing to God's promises made to those who remain steadfast and righteous, he humbly yet persistently asks 5 times that the righteous few be saved.

Persistence is necessary as it keeps us close to God, helps build our faith and the Bible teaches us to "Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." Eph 6:18

I have experienced praying through and when the answer didn't come quickly it was a real test of my faith, the subject of my prayer was a much loved suffering dying relative who lived alone and far away; God answered my prayer in his time not mine.

Of course my time is his time, thanks be to God.

Abraham shows his persistence by continuing to bargain with God. Although God had already agreed to spare Sodom if there were 50 people who were not wicked, Abraham continued to decrease that number! He knew what kind of place Sodom was! He understood that it would be hard to find 50 people who were not wicked, so he asked again for a lower amount of people. In a way Abraham was a little sneaky, and of course God knew exactly what he was doing, and allowed it to continued. He was persistent in asking God the same question, but just lowering the number of people. Abraham knew the nature of God, and knew He would never pass judgment on someone who didn't deserve it, so therefore he persisted. however, he did stop at ten! (Not wanting to push his luck!)

Persistent prayer is necessary to keep us on track. To help us remember our goals and to grow our faith.

• 5 months later...

Q4.

In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?

What was it like?

Abraham pleads for the righteous with boldness, and humility. He perseveres from 50 to 10 righteous people to be saved based on the righteous character of God. By Abraham

• 2 months later...

Abraham appealed to God over and over again, not to wear Him out but His appeal magnified God's graciousness and righteousness.

Persistence is necessary because we really have to humble ourselves to pray persistently. Its not right for us to expect God to answer our prayers according to our timeline. He is God - He will answer our prayers according to His will, His time and His way. Persistence in prayer also reveals our desperate need for God.

My experience with "praying through" was very very tiring and draining. I was almost bored hearing myself pray the same prayers over and over again. I was so afraid that after so long, my prayers werent going to be answered. But God is good and He was not bored with my prayers. He answered my prayers and throughout the years of praying, He revealed more and more of Himself to me.

Abraham asked God to save the city six times. Persistence is necessary because it shows to God that we are serious and that this request means a lot to us. Praying for the lost should be a common prayer for the Christian since they are dead in their transgressions. I have experienced praying through many times actually on a regular basis. I pray and then I rest in the Lord to work. Then later I sense the need to pray again. It appears to me that the wresting with God for souls, the sanctification of the church and myself is a continuous task.

• 5 months later...

HE WAS WAITING ON GOD DESPITE WHAT HIS CURRENT SITUATION LOOKS LIKE.YES. IT WAS HARD AND SOMETIMES GOD SEEMS SO FAR AWAY AND NOT LISTENING.

• 2 weeks later...

Abraham kept on asking God to show mercy for the righteous who may live in Sodom. It was a way to reveal God's own righteousness and graciousness.

Persistence is necessary in prayer because it puts us in line with God's will at God's time which is humbling; it is also our way to show our dependence on and confidence in Him. "Praying through" was difficult and it made me realize that, the time passing, I relied more and more and God's will with confidence that in the end everything would be alright.

• 3 months later...

Abraham showed persistence by repeatedly reducing the number of righteous men in Sodom and pleading with God to spare Sodom. An older generation of saints used to call this kind of persistence "praying through," praying until assurance of an answer comes. If we want answers to our prayers, we too must learn to "pray through" and not quit before the assurance of answered prayer comes. There is a feeling of release and freedom in the spirit when there is an assurance that your prayer has been heard and answered.

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Abraham shows persistence when He repeatedly lowers the number, so that, God would not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.

Persistence in prayer is necessary when we believe by faith that God will punish the sinner and the sin, and we should pray with assurance that God will answer our prayers.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Yes, I have seen

• 1 year later...

Abraham persisted until he had a peace that God was really going to do everything he could to protect the righteous in the two wicked cities. He asked, seeked, and knock until He got a satisfactory answer. Persistence is necessary in prayer because God wants us to keep coming to Him. He wants us to care so much that He has to provide an answer. And, yes, I have "prayed through" some issues, often late at night when I could not sleep. I did not go to sleep until I had a peace that I was praying in God's will and He was going to provide an answer. If he did not give up on me to bring me to Himself, I cannot give up on Him so that His kingdom may be expanded and his righteousness would prevail.

• 3 weeks later...

Abraham was concerned for the people. His persistence worked out the best deal that could be bargained for in that situation. Persistence is necessary to find the best of what a loving Father will give and wants to give.

I have prayed through on many occasions. It changed a death sentence over a child of God and her life was spared. I approached a loving Father in heaven and HE turned it around. I am blessed!!!

• 2 years later...

In what way does Abraham show persistence?

By being bold with God and praying (speaking) with God until he gets an answer. Abraham kept on asking God to show mercy for the righteous who may live in Sodom.

Abraham's persistence pleased God. Ask, Seek and Knock on the door; "For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Luke 8:10)

Have you ever experienced "praying through"?  What was it like?

Yes. When I first met my current wife, intimacy was involved even though we knew better. I felt as guilty as sin to put it simply. The Holy Spirit encouraged me to seek God, ask for forgiveness, and continued knocking on the door until I felt God and got His answer. It gave me peace and a stronger conviction to follow Him and obey His precepts.

Ezekiel 22:30New International Version (NIV)

30 “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I

would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.

Would you be willing to stand in the gap?